Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Why would you bring a gun to church?

dee-em
Posts: 10,593
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 2:52:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To answer the thread title: It's a self-defence measure in case some crazed atheist attacks the congregation. You know how militant these atheist types are, right?

(Christians take the commandment "though shalt not kill" as an advisory admonition only).
Lying and/or abusive trolls on permanent ignore: ethang5, skipsaweirdo, dsjpk5, Polytheist_Witch, Studio-B, TKDB, Factseeker, graceofgod.
Skepticalone
Posts: 8,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects.
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 2:59:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.

Perhaps, but it demonstrates how far from their religious strictures that theists wander.
Skepticalone
Posts: 8,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 3:00:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 2:52:01 PM, dee-em wrote:
To answer the thread title: It's a self-defence measure in case some crazed atheist attacks the congregation. You know how militant these atheist types are, right?

(Christians take the commandment "though shalt not kill" as an advisory admonition only).

Self defense is the correct answer, and self defense is not equivalent to murder. This is not a concept exclusive to religion.

Also, it doesn't sound like this case has anything to do with self defense.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects.
Skepticalone
Posts: 8,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 3:11:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 2:59:35 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.

Perhaps, but it demonstrates how far from their religious strictures that theists wander.

I don't think the shooter killed "in the name of god", so it shouldn't be conflated to a religious view. If the shooter were an atheist, we would be quick to point out the shooter did not act according to any atheistic view.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects.
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 3:36:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 3:11:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:59:35 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.

Perhaps, but it demonstrates how far from their religious strictures that theists wander.

I don't think the shooter killed "in the name of god", so it shouldn't be conflated to a religious view. If the shooter were an atheist, we would be quick to point out the shooter did not act according to any atheistic view.

Sorry, a Christian who is supposed to 'turn the other cheek' shouldn't even be carrying a weapon. There is no such stricture for an atheist so that is not a valid comparison, IMO.
Skepticalone
Posts: 8,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 3:49:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 3:36:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 3:11:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:59:35 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.

Perhaps, but it demonstrates how far from their religious strictures that theists wander.

I don't think the shooter killed "in the name of god", so it shouldn't be conflated to a religious view. If the shooter were an atheist, we would be quick to point out the shooter did not act according to any atheistic view.

Sorry, a Christian who is supposed to 'turn the other cheek' shouldn't even be carrying a weapon. There is no such stricture for an atheist so that is not a valid comparison, IMO.

I think that is a good point if the Bible had only one interpretation, but we would need to be as dogmatic as some believers to claim that.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,742
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 3:59:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2016 3:36:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 3:11:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:59:35 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:56:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:34:47 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seriously, what kind of church service should ever end up like this?

http://www.theepochtimes.com...

To be fair, this has little to do with religion.

Perhaps, but it demonstrates how far from their religious strictures that theists wander.

I don't think the shooter killed "in the name of god", so it shouldn't be conflated to a religious view. If the shooter were an atheist, we would be quick to point out the shooter did not act according to any atheistic view.

Sorry, a Christian who is supposed to 'turn the other cheek' shouldn't even be carrying a weapon. There is no such stricture for an atheist so that is not a valid comparison, IMO.

This article is not representative of that point just because it occurred in a church, though. You could choose any instance in which a Christian brandishes a weapon as an equally valid example. Would you argue that Christians should not be police, as well?

People will be people no matter where they are.