Jump to topic:

Convincing atheists using prophecy

Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2016 1:58:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This seems to be a recurring theme lately, so I just thought I'd point out...

If you can't convince someone to believe anything the Bible says about the past, why on Earth would they believe anything it says about the future?
Ethang5: Children cannot be morons.
Skeptical1: The only thing you have demonstrated is they don't have a monopoly on it.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2016 2:23:44 AM
At 12/20/2016 1:58:16 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

If you can't convince someone to believe anything the Bible says about the past, why on Earth would they believe anything it says about the future?

They refer to the existing things that already be prophesied.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2016 3:16:37 AM
At 12/20/2016 2:23:44 AM, uncung wrote:

They refer to the existing things that already be prophesied.

I suppose that's an explanation, but I think those who claim that all prophecy has already been fulfilled are in the minority.
Ethang5: Children cannot be morons.
Skeptical1: The only thing you have demonstrated is they don't have a monopoly on it.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2016 7:17:15 AM

All so-called prophecy in the Bible is either after the fact, pure invention to fit earlier text, words twisted completely out of context, or so vague as to be entirely meaningless.

When you think about, true prophecy would lead to a paradox. If you could accurately prophesy a future event with specific detail then people's knowledge of the prophecy would affect their actions leading up to the event, thereby affecting it. For example, if you could predict the Lotto numbers accurately and who wins it and make that information public then every man and his dog would be using the predicted numbers thereby diluting the prize-money and changing the list of winners. The very act of knowing changes what is known. A paradox.
Lying and/or abusive trolls on permanent ignore: ethang5, skipsaweirdo, dsjpk5, Polytheist_Witch, Studio-B, TKDB, Factseeker, graceofgod.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2016 7:18:17 AM
* about it
Lying and/or abusive trolls on permanent ignore: ethang5, skipsaweirdo, dsjpk5, Polytheist_Witch, Studio-B, TKDB, Factseeker, graceofgod.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.