Jump to topic:

What Is The Best Substitute?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:44:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Organised religion has proven itself to be a dismal failure. It has caused wars, fermented hatred and torn families apart, not to mention the psychological damage to millions over the past 1700 or so years since it was invented (all for the wrong reasons). Generally, most people in modern society dismiss the fundamental premise of religion (of there being a God and creator of life) as being false.

We could get an executive order making all organised religion null and void yet many people will still have a certain something missing in their lives, some vaguely call it "spiritual needs".

What product or service could we devise that would satisfy those in need of a security blanket to help keep their lives on track?
Something that does not encapsulate the fear, guilt, deception, discrimination and every other negative trait that has come to characterise religion over the years.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:34:58 AM
At 2/5/2017 8:44:01 AM, Willows wrote:
Organised religion has proven itself to be a dismal failure. It has caused wars, fermented hatred and torn families apart, not to mention the psychological damage to millions over the past 1700 or so years since it was invented (all for the wrong reasons). Generally, most people in modern society dismiss the fundamental premise of religion (of there being a God and creator of life) as being false.

We could get an executive order making all organised religion null and void yet many people will still have a certain something missing in their lives, some vaguely call it "spiritual needs".

What product or service could we devise that would satisfy those in need of a security blanket to help keep their lives on track?
Something that does not encapsulate the fear, guilt, deception, discrimination and every other negative trait that has come to characterise religion over the years.

I'm not too sure there is one. For some people, they need to believe that "God" is personally interested in them, and among other things, when they die, they get to go to a beautiful place, and this is the purpose of their existence for which they are made.

Conversely, without that, it's all meaningless bullsh*t, why give a f*ck about anything, it all comes to an end, and the suffering that exists, even your own is just the product of a universe, matter/forces that don't give a f*ck about you in any shape or form.

Maybe we need the noble lie ?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 10:11:07 AM

The Pet Rock, obviously.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 11:31:44 AM

hmm have you managed to define organised religion yet..lol
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 12:09:35 PM
At 2/5/2017 11:31:44 AM, graceofgod wrote:

Yes, a load of unmitigated crap.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 12:13:08 PM
At 2/5/2017 12:09:35 PM, Willows wrote:

love it, you keep discussing something you cannot define...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 12:30:02 PM
At 2/5/2017 12:13:08 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I did define....
A .....L - O - A - D .........O - F ......U - N - M - I - T - I - G - A - T - E - D .......C - R - A - P !

C - O - M - P - R - E - N - E - Z ?

O - R...........W - O - U - L - D.........Y - O - U........P - R - E - F - E - R.........T - H - A - T...........I.........G - O.............S - L - O - W - E - R....?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 12:33:39 PM
So, from now on, when I refer to "organised religion" I will say something like.....

"Well, you know, a load of unmitigated crap has been around for too long."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 12:55:53 PM

You mean like all the gods? bahahahaha.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 2:33:01 PM
At 2/5/2017 12:30:02 PM, Willows wrote:

I did define....
A .....L - O - A - D .........O - F ......U - N - M - I - T - I - G - A - T - E - D .......C - R - A - P !

O - R...........W - O - U - L - D.........Y - O - U........P - R - E - F - E - R.........T - H - A - T...........I.........G - O.............S - L - O - W - E - R....?

I would prefer you to have a real definition of what you consider organised religion but being as you cannot it shows your level of intelligence...
cedertree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 3:02:48 PM
just to play Devil's advocate so to speak, religion has done a lot of good for early man over all. It helped keep communities together by giving the members some form of rules and inspiration to stay together and trust one another. There were and still are many good things humans do with the idea of trying to be better so as to aspire to the idea of a higher being. It also gives comfort (albeit most likely false) against the uncertainties of life and death.
Now that said it has also, as you say, torn humanity apart.
So the trick, in my humble opinion, is to take the good from religion forward and discard the negative as would one do to any other invention.
Sam Harris seems to have addressed this issue in his book "
Waking up: a guide to spirituality without religion ". On my own reckoning it would seem that one only has to look at each religion, spiritual practice, and philosophy . Then determine what is good and useful and also what was most likely just the views of the time along with what was used just to control the masses. For example of things to keep: being clean, being responsible about sex, treating others with compassion, not judging others, not being an over all dick to others, and mostly respecting yourself as a divine being. Examples of things to discard: women as lesser or property, killing bad children, killing homosexuals, cutting off parts of your body for normal human thoughts, shunning family or other people that don't share you exact faith, giving up humanity to follow a path to an after life, ignoring facts that don't support your faith, ostracizing or killing apostates.
Religion is a tool and as such was not invented correctly the first time. If we can realise that and admit that it is not now nor ever has been "immutable" then I feel we can proceed with a better form of spirituality.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 6:00:46 PM

There is no substitute for truth, simple as.

It may not always be the most comfortable, but it is always best,.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 7:50:55 PM
At 2/5/2017 2:33:01 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I did define....

I would prefer you to have a real definition of what you consider organised religion but being as you cannot it shows your level of intelligence...

Says he...if you can't work out what constitutes organised religion then you are bound to get a ridiculous reply, you could even take out the "organised" for the purposes of this topic.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:07:51 PM

I did define....

Religion is the opiate of the masses. It has kept them dumb and manageable. Waving the crucifix a symbol of a Jewish corpse nailed to a wooden cross for his deluded beliefs is enough to bring over a billion Christians to their knees is a warning never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:15:02 PM

Generally, its a group of people that typically claim that they have a special message given to them. The messenger usually claims that god only speaks to him in secret and that everyone else must obey him without questioning or they will be punished.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:34:41 PM
It isn't so much organised religion that is the problem as intolerant religion. The two might be linked in practice, but they are separate in theory.

And it seems to me that the 'vitriolest' of the vitriol is reserved for spats between closely related religions - ie between Christian denominations and between Shia and Sunni Muslims. At least most Christians don't say other denominations aren't Christians the way that Shia and Sunni seem to say the other lot aren't Muslims!

It might have something to do with monotheism. If you believe in many gods, it might be easier to be tolerant because if you already have a dozen of or more gods one or two more makes no real odds, but when your belief is centred on 'there is one true god and all other gods are false and sinful' then intolerance is all but inevitable.

So the best substitute - if we are excluding everybody becoming rational and sensible about things - might be a mix of polytheistic religons where it would be hard to even tell where one religion ended and another one began.

Oh - and no sacred written scriptures. Having written scriptures tends to end up with the 'letter' taking over from the 'spirit', even when the 'letter' was written for a different time and different conditions.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:48:24 PM
At 2/5/2017 7:50:55 PM, Willows wrote:

I did define....

Says he...if you can't work out what constitutes organised religion then you are bound to get a ridiculous reply, you could even take out the "organised" for the purposes of this topic.

just answer the question if you can...lol
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:51:24 PM
At 2/5/2017 8:15:02 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Generally, its a group of people that typically claim that they have a special message given to them. The messenger usually claims that god only speaks to him in secret and that everyone else must obey him without questioning or they will be punished.

i think that is more the definition of a cult..
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 8:54:45 PM

No...that's not really a proper definition...

Though I'm pretty sure you're not actually serious.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:10:38 PM

While it is true that organized (see how I used a "z", tells where I come from) religion is utter crap, atheism is not the answer to escape this suffering. I mean look at Stalin the USSR. Now I'm not trying to say that atheists are Stalins but I am trying to say we don't have any control over our "primal" and savage instincts (at least for now).

Such an action is unconstitutional.

Soma, from a brave new world.

I don't know why everyone here seems to have the delusional idea that somehow we could get rid of all suffering just by removing religion. I mean for f***s sake guys! It's called human nature! If you want to get rid of all suffering, then destroy all life on Earth.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:10:53 PM
At 2/5/2017 8:51:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I agree. I also think Christianity is a cult.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:14:11 PM
At 2/5/2017 9:10:53 PM, matt8800 wrote:

really that;s interesting... is islam a cult and all religion...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:31:28 PM
At 2/5/2017 9:14:11 PM, graceofgod wrote:

If the above definition is a cult as you say, yes.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 9:40:35 PM
At 2/5/2017 9:31:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:

when does Christianity say God only speaks to a person and secretly??
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 10:06:36 PM
At 2/5/2017 9:40:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Have you ever seen footage of God audibly speaking to someone?

I'm sure you have an easy time deciphering that Joseph Smith was a liar or insane. You only believe that based on the fact that it differs from your bias. If it was a matter of evidence, you would think the same about claims in the Bible. There is no proof there either.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2017 10:09:15 PM
At 2/5/2017 10:06:36 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 2/5/2017 9:40:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Have you ever seen footage of God audibly speaking to someone?

I'm sure you have an easy time deciphering that Joseph Smith was a liar or insane. You only believe that based on the fact that it differs from your bias. If it was a matter of evidence, you would think the same about claims in the Bible. There is no proof there either.

no there is tons of proof smith was a liar and a fraud, it has nothing to do with bias...

not at all the bible holds up and holds true...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2017 4:59:45 AM
At 2/5/2017 9:10:38 PM, imperialchimp wrote:

While it is true that organized (see how I used a "z", tells where I come from) religion is utter crap, atheism is not the answer to escape this suffering. I mean look at Stalin the USSR. Now I'm not trying to say that atheists are Stalins but I am trying to say we don't have any control over our "primal" and savage instincts (at least for now).

Such an action is unconstitutional.

Soma, from a brave new world.

I don't know why everyone here seems to have the delusional idea that somehow we could get rid of all suffering just by removing religion. I mean for f***s sake guys! It's called human nature! If you want to get rid of all suffering, then destroy all life on Earth.

Getting rid of religion would be a good start though.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2017 5:07:54 AM
At 2/5/2017 8:54:45 PM, imperialchimp wrote:

No...that's not really a proper definition...

Though I'm pretty sure you're not actually serious.

I'm serious all right and if my definition does not coincide with your la de da definition, then, tough.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2017 5:10:34 AM
At 2/5/2017 8:48:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I did define....

And still he persists like a fart in an elevator.
Do you want me to spell it out again in 3 metre high neon lights?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2017 9:59:48 AM
At 2/6/2017 5:10:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 2/5/2017 8:48:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I did define....

And still he persists like a fart in an elevator.
Do you want me to spell it out again in 3 metre high neon lights?

if you think you can ..lol but i know you cannot...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.