Jump to topic:

Spiritual growth

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 3:06:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does God work in our lives to aid in spiritual growth?

What does it mean to grow spiritually?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 4:24:20 PM
At 2/9/2017 3:06:53 PM, janesix wrote:

It appears to be a term used by believers to excuse themselves from being ignorant, something they feel is an accomplishment yet is meaningless to achievement of any kind. The more one claims they are spiritual, the more detached from reality they become. Seems more of a result of mental disorders.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
There would be peace if you obeyed us.~Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 4:24:58 PM

I'm inclined to rhink that it means to succumb naively to the scams of the priests, shamans, rabbis, imams, purveyors of new age woo, that whole pack of scoundrels.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 5:11:48 PM

To me growing spiritually is improving my relationship with God, and becoming a better steward of the gifts bestowed upon me. I have found in times when I focused more on my pray life my relationship was better and I grew spiritually. It is at these times that I feel an improved understanding of Gods word.

I believe God aids in our growth. Without his spirit we cannot learn heavenly things. Without his spirit we would not know what our spiritual gifts are. Gods work in our lives is through the holy spirit.

But IMO our spiritual growth is mostly on us. Its like anything else, we wont be effective without action. We grow as we do work. Salvation is a free gift but a strong relationship is something we work at everyday.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 8:09:37 PM
At 2/9/2017 4:24:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It appears to be a term used by believers to excuse themselves from being ignorant, something they feel is an accomplishment yet is meaningless to achievement of any kind. The more one claims they are spiritual, the more detached from reality they become. Seems more of a result of mental disorders.
You're totally unaware about spirituality. If that term exists is due to human experience. Please, Dan, pay attention on what I'm going to tell you since I won't repeat it again.

I'll put it very simple so you can understand. When people looks for spiritual growth it means they look for inner peace, happiness, hope, and all these things human being needs for his/her psycological wealth. In other words, spirituality is about health. Understand it, Dan, don't be stupid, it's a basic right of any men to find peace, not all is about materiality in this damn world.

Being said that, I think you are able to understand why people like Jesus, Dalai Lama, or the pope are respected figures in this world. They help people, they are inspiration of the masses. And if you respond to this post with this usual rant I'm used to read, I swear I'll treat you like an idiot.

BR
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 8:25:04 PM
At 2/9/2017 8:09:37 PM, Archaholic wrote:

You're totally unaware about spirituality. If that term exists is due to human experience. Please, Dan, pay attention on what I'm going to tell you since I won't repeat it again.

I'll put it very simple so you can understand. When people looks for spiritual growth it means they look for inner peace, happiness, hope, and all these things human being needs for his/her psycological wealth.

Then, use the terms inner peace, happiness and hope if that's what you refer so that others can understand you.

In other words, spirituality is about health. Understand it, Dan, don't be stupid, it's a basic right of any men to find peace, not all is about materiality in this damn world.

In this world? Are you aware of some other world? You would be the first.

Being said that, I think you are able to understand why people like Jesus, Dalai Lama, or the pope are respected figures in this world. They help people, they are inspiration of the masses. And if you respond to this post with this usual rant I'm used to read, I swear I'll treat you like an idiot.

BR

I agree about Dalai Lama, but certainly not the Pope. We can't say anything about Jesus because he never wrote anything down.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 9:56:29 PM
At 2/9/2017 8:25:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I'll put it very simple so you can understand. When people looks for spiritual growth it means they look for inner peace, happiness, hope, and all these things human being needs for his/her psycological wealth.

Then, use the terms inner peace, happiness and hope if that's what you refer so that others can understand you.

In other words, spirituality is about health. Understand it, Dan, don't be stupid, it's a basic right of any men to find peace, not all is about materiality in this damn world.

BR

I agree about Dalai Lama, but certainly not the Pope. We can't say anything about Jesus because he never wrote anything down.

Now we're talking.

So you have an issue with christianity as far as I can see. What is it? Or it's just with the Catholic church? I wouldn't be surprised since many priests have abused on so many innocent children. To be honest, I don't like the Catholic church too, eventhough I've been educated in a Catholic school.

BR
Anonymous
2/9/2017 10:23:23 PM

Yes, when you've gotten comfortable in that silly conceptual framework you've built up, it can definitely seem like that. Real "spirituality" has nothing to do with being detached from reality and living in a la-la land.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 11:31:19 PM
At 2/9/2017 5:11:48 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

To me growing spiritually is improving my relationship with God, and becoming a better steward of the gifts bestowed upon me. I have found in times when I focused more on my pray life my relationship was better and I grew spiritually. It is at these times that I feel an improved understanding of Gods word.

I believe God aids in our growth. Without his spirit we cannot learn heavenly things. Without his spirit we would not know what our spiritual gifts are. Gods work in our lives is through the holy spirit.

But IMO our spiritual growth is mostly on us. Its like anything else, we wont be effective without action. We grow as we do work. Salvation is a free gift but a strong relationship is something we work at everyday.

As Dennej so succinctly put it, I think spiritual growth is more a journey of detachment from reality.

The reason for this is that the pursuit of anything spiritual has to be accepted as faith in something that simply does not exist, is not proven to exist and is followed only on (mischievous) hear-tell evidence.

Refusing to accept, or making futile efforts to ignore this simple reality is pure delusion. Any good that the follower perceives is demonstrably superseded by the detrimental effects that blind faith has on the beholder and those around him or her.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 11:36:45 PM

He does if we ask him too, and trust him to; James 1:5-8.

He does if we have sufficient love for what is true; John 4:23,24.

Growing spiritually means getting to know the truth about God and Christ , John 17:3, and getting to know them well, being open to the guidance from God through his son and the use of their communication medium, holy spirit.

If as so many are now, and were in Jesus day, our hearts are to hardened to be open to the spirit we cannot be taught to grow spiritually. Matthew 13:15. Isaiah 6:9,10.

Jehovah will never force us to listen to him. He uses his son to guide those he has chosen as his representatives to give us the chance to, which is precisely what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, exactly as described at Matthew 10:11-15.

If you choose to listen, then Jehovah will help you understand, and his word, the Bible will confirm what they teach you.

If not, then he will leave you to your chosen fate.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 11:38:06 PM

I'll put it very simple so you can understand. When people looks for spiritual growth it means they look for inner peace, happiness, hope, and all these things human being needs for his/her psycological wealth. In other words, spirituality is about health. Understand it, Dan, don't be stupid, it's a basic right of any men to find peace, not all is about materiality in this damn world.

BR
I think your argument is very limited and blinkered.
People who turn to spiritualism may be seeking inner health but that does not mean that there are other, better ways to achieve such.

Jesus and the Dali Lama are respected figures only by those who naively follow their teachings, most people shun both of them and dismiss both of them as opportunistic false prophets.
Anonymous
2/9/2017 11:45:49 PM
At 2/9/2017 11:38:06 PM, Willows wrote:

BR
People who turn to spiritualism may be seeking inner health but that does not mean that there are other, better ways to achieve such.

Jesus and the Dali Lama are respected figures only by those who naively follow their teachings, most people shun both of them and dismiss both of them as opportunistic false prophets.

In this world where our way of life is leading to higher-than-ever rates of anxiety and depression in young people, what do you recommend as a better way of attaining inner peace than something like practicing Buddhism? (Let's not talk about actual serious medical cases where a psychologist would be necessary)

Most people do not shun Jesus or HHTDL, I'm not sure where you are getting that from. In fact, most people I've met, even if not strictly religious, or not religious at all, do see the value in a spiritual practice, even if they cannot live up to it.

How's Jesus, a dude that literally died and gained not much in what we consider "gain" today, an opportunistic false prophet?

How's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, a great compassionate dude that lives a life spreading messages of love and compassion, an opportunistic false prophet?

He's not even a prophet!
Anonymous
2/9/2017 11:47:24 PM

People will word it in different ways.

In essence, growing spiritually means weakening the three poisonous roots: greed, aversion, delusion.

I do not believe anyone can do that for us. We can be guided by teachers or perhaps even otherwordly beings (that you may call God), but we grow on our own - if there was anyone to be on his own in the first place.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 11:52:33 PM
At 2/9/2017 11:31:19 PM, Willows wrote:

As Dennej so succinctly put it, I think spiritual growth is more a journey of detachment from reality.

The reason for this is that the pursuit of anything spiritual has to be accepted as faith in something that simply does not exist, is not proven to exist and is followed only on (mischievous) hear-tell evidence.

Refusing to accept, or making futile efforts to ignore this simple reality is pure delusion. Any good that the follower perceives is demonstrably superseded by the detrimental effects that blind faith has on the beholder and those around him or her.

So what you are saying is....it like a chocolate store right? I bet there are good chocolate stores in Australia
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:08:14 AM
At 2/9/2017 11:52:33 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 2/9/2017 11:31:19 PM, Willows wrote:

So what you are saying is....it like a chocolate store right? I bet there are good chocolate stores in Australia

There are, but many of them are crap.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:17:10 AM
At 2/9/2017 11:45:49 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

BR

In this world where our way of life is leading to higher-than-ever rates of anxiety and depression in young people, what do you recommend as a better way of attaining inner peace than something like practicing Buddhism? (Let's not talk about actual serious medical cases where a psychologist would be necessary)

Most people do not shun Jesus or HHTDL, I'm not sure where you are getting that from. In fact, most people I've met, even if not strictly religious, or not religious at all, do see the value in a spiritual practice, even if they cannot live up to it.

How's Jesus, a dude that literally died and gained not much in what we consider "gain" today, an opportunistic false prophet?

How's His Holiness The Dalai Lama, a great compassionate dude that lives a life spreading messages of love and compassion, an opportunistic false prophet?

He's not even a prophet!
OK. Let me pull back a bit here.

Although Jesus (allegedly) preached much goodness, he was for all intents and purposes, a fictional character. Christians have gone to ridiculous lengths to make claims about him being the son of God, dying for our sins and being the pathway to redemption in some vain selfish belief that they will have an afterlife in some super-luxury retirement village in the sky.

The Dali Lama is real, educated and preaches not so much a religion, but a way of life which I do respect.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:26:15 AM
At 2/9/2017 10:23:23 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Yes, when you've gotten comfortable in that silly conceptual framework you've built up, it can definitely seem like that. Real "spirituality" has nothing to do with being detached from reality and living in a la-la land.

There's a "real" spirituality? Where?
Anonymous
2/10/2017 12:28:39 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:17:10 AM, Willows wrote:

Although Jesus (allegedly) preached much goodness, he was for all intents and purposes, a fictional character. Christians have gone to ridiculous lengths to make claims about him being the son of God, dying for our sins and being the pathway to redemption in some vain selfish belief that they will have an afterlife in some super-luxury retirement village in the sky.

I don't see why you need to go so far to ridicule a belief that so many people of just the same nature as you and me follow. Yes, they do believe in an afterlife, they do believe that through Jesus they will be saved and so on. I agree with you that some of these things are not true (probably some Christian mystics might as well), but where's the need to antagonize this belief system which should ideally make one a better person come from? (Especially if we take into account the recent more liberal understandings of Christianity that are quite closer to the truth of what Christ spoke of) What's selfish in believing in a cool afterlife? A lot of Christians selflessly go to spread the word on how you can have this afterlife.

The Dali Lama is real, educated and preaches not so much a religion, but a way of life which I do respect.

In essence, Dalai Lama is a Buddhist, and Buddhism is very much a religion. By his tradition, Dalai Lama is supposed to be an emanation of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, and he definitely beliefs and follows spiritual practices and doctirnes.

However, I understand that what he preaches to the general public is said in a way so it will be understood universally regardless of faith.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:30:14 AM
At 2/9/2017 9:56:29 PM, Archaholic wrote:
At 2/9/2017 8:25:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

BR

Now we're talking.

So you have an issue with christianity as far as I can see. What is it? Or it's just with the Catholic church? I wouldn't be surprised since many priests have abused on so many innocent children. To be honest, I don't like the Catholic church too, eventhough I've been educated in a Catholic school.

BR

It's primarily the Abrahamic religions that are the problem, with Islam leading the bunch followed closely by Christianity. And, although Judaism has had quite a bit of reform, the fundamentalists are still living in the Dark Ages.
Anonymous
2/10/2017 12:31:35 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:26:15 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Buddhism is a valid path. A lot more paths are valid, though not complete. Either way, if Buddhism makes you less engaged with reality, you are doing Buddhism wrong.

If you limit spirituality to an ugly interpretation of Christianity, then sure, there's no useful spirituality.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:35:34 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:31:35 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Buddhism is a valid path. A lot more paths are valid, though not complete. Either way, if Buddhism makes you less engaged with reality, you are doing Buddhism wrong.

If you limit spirituality to an ugly interpretation of Christianity, then sure, there's no useful spirituality.

How would you define spirituality?
Anonymous
2/10/2017 12:38:41 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:35:34 AM, janesix wrote:

Does it matter?

The practice of reaching our full human potential.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:42:49 AM

I consider spirituality a meaningless term, one that nobody has yet to clearly define without using fallacies, redefining words or labeling something that needs no labels.
Anonymous
2/10/2017 12:49:58 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:42:49 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I consider spirituality a meaningless term, one that nobody has yet to clearly define without using fallacies, redefining words or labeling something that needs no labels.

Okay.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 1:58:35 AM

BR

He's not even a prophet!

Whether you like it or not, a great amount of people throughout the world embrace Jesus and christianity because of the outcomes they can get regarding mental health. Besides, people can even get cured from a physical illness just turning a fervorous believer. That would explain its success even in eastern societies like China.

Besides, you haven't given yet an optional way to get the same results as people do with christianity.

BR
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 2:18:43 AM
At 2/10/2017 1:58:35 AM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

He's not even a prophet!

Whether you like it or not, a great amount of people throughout the world embrace Jesus and christianity because of the outcomes they can get regarding mental health. Besides, people can even get cured from a physical illness just turning a fervorous believer. That would explain its success even in eastern societies like China.

Besides, you haven't given yet an optional way to get the same results as people do with christianity.

BR

What about the great number of people throughout the world who are completely screwed up and alienated by religion. What about the great number of families who have become polarised, bitter and split up because of religion.

It is a complete myth and stupid to even infer that people become cured from illness because of religion any more than taking a placebo.

And what about those who could have been cured by good conventional medicine yet instead believed that praying to some non-existent spirit would save them? I have seen it happen many times.

To talk of "an optional way" is again an arrogant assumption and inferring that religion is some default do-good cure all.

People in the real world go to an experienced medical practitioner and if necessary get referred to specialists if they have or suspect illness.
If someone needs psychiatric counseling we have professional psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors and support groups.
We have our families, sports and common interest groups for anyone to participate in without having the fear and guilt of religion rammed down their throats.

Religion is the last thing anyone "needs", like a hole in the head; anyone preaching that it can cure people is doing society a disfavor and at best is lying.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 2:42:49 AM
At 2/10/2017 12:38:41 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 2/10/2017 12:35:34 AM, janesix wrote:

Does it matter?

The practice of reaching our full human potential.

Which is what?
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 2:54:38 AM
At 2/10/2017 2:18:43 AM, Willows wrote:

BR

He's not even a prophet!

BR

What about the great number of people throughout the world who are completely screwed up and alienated by religion. What about the great number of families who have become polarised, bitter and split up because of religion.

It is a complete myth and stupid to even infer that people become cured from illness because of religion any more than taking a placebo.

And what about those who could have been cured by good conventional medicine yet instead believed that praying to some non-existent spirit would save them? I have seen it happen many times.

To talk of "an optional way" is again an arrogant assumption and inferring that religion is some default do-good cure all.

People in the real world go to an experienced medical practitioner and if necessary get referred to specialists if they have or suspect illness.
If someone needs psychiatric counseling we have professional psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors and support groups.
We have our families, sports and common interest groups for anyone to participate in without having the fear and guilt of religion rammed down their throats.

Religion is the last thing anyone "needs", like a hole in the head; anyone preaching that it can cure people is doing society a disfavor and at best is lying.
To make it clear, when I referred to mental health I wasn't talking about mental illnesses, like depression or psychosis which should be treated by a professional. I was talking about normal people who go through common problems of modern life, such as loneliness, divorces, death of a beloved person, etc. Religion is overall a "encourager", a way to relief the stress caused by our suffering. Whether people choose religion instead of psychologists or psychiatrists, that shouldn't be of your concern since a priest can be as effective as a mental health practitioner.

And to be honest, your attitude seems to be psychological, your hatred towards christianity is not normal. C'mon, tell us, we can help you.

BR
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 5:41:21 AM
At 2/10/2017 2:54:38 AM, Archaholic wrote:
At 2/10/2017 2:18:43 AM, Willows wrote:

BR

He's not even a prophet!

BR

To make it clear, when I referred to mental health I wasn't talking about mental illnesses, like depression or psychosis which should be treated by a professional. I was talking about normal people who go through common problems of modern life, such as loneliness, divorces, death of a beloved person, etc. Religion is overall a "encourager", a way to relief the stress caused by our suffering. Whether people choose religion instead of psychologists or psychiatrists, that shouldn't be of your concern since a priest can be as effective as a mental health practitioner.

And to be honest, your attitude seems to be psychological, your hatred towards christianity is not normal. C'mon, tell us, we can help you.

BR

Yes, I do have a certain antipathy towards preachers. religion comes in varying degrees and most people I think who say they are religious are not necessarily dependent upon their faith or let it rule their lives.
Preachers I find are two-faced in pretending to be benevolent and caring yet make a living out of perpetuating untruths and enforcing them through deceit, guilt, and fear.
Who is "we" anyway...I suppose you are going to tell me that you are a church leader.
All I can say is, thank God I'm an atheist.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.