Jump to topic:

Daily Text & Comments Thursday, February 9

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2017 11:22:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is an appointed time for everything."Eccl. 3:1.

Our respect for the God who invites us to Christian meetings should be manifested in our decorum, dress, and grooming. Respect also requires that we avoid extremes. Jehovah wants his servants and other guests to feel comfortable at the Kingdom Hall. At the same time, those in attendance would not want to detract from the meetings by being overly casual in their dress, by texting or talking during the meetings, by eating and drinking, and so on. Parents should train their children to understand that the Kingdom Hall is not the place for running or playing. Filled with indignation, Jesus threw out of God"s temple those who were introducing commercial activities. (John 2:13-17) Our Kingdom Halls too are places for pure worship and spiritual education. So any business activities that have nothing to do with spiritual pursuits ought to be taken care of elsewhere."Compare Nehemiah 13:7, 8. w15 7/15 4:7, 8

http://wol.jw.org...
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2017 12:55:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Romans 7 : 7 - 12 ...
What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "You shall not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Find the whole chapter really interesting, because the premise is that the law that tells you not to do wrong (which we can extend to our conscience, not just the written law) is the very same thing that creates the mind that makes us not to do good.

"For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I."

In Christianity it's our sinful nature that's the result of this.

An interesting crossover can be made with Tao Te Ching's 38th chapter. Taoism as a teaching talks about returning to our original state, our original mind, which is the exact opposite of Christianity. Instead of being inherently crooked, we're inherently complete!

High virtue is not a virtue; therefore, it exists as virtue.
Low virtue does not lose virtue; therefore, it is not [yet high] virtue.

High virtue is uncontrived
And is not done by means of [conscious] doing.
Low virtue is [also] uncontrived
But it occurs by means of [conscious] doing.

High benevolence contrives these
But is not done by means of [conscious] doing.
High righteousness [then] contrives that [i.e., high benevolence]
And it occurs by means of [conscious] doing.
High etiquette [then] contrives that [i.e., high righteousness]
And [when people] do not consider it to be a "must"
[It] then grabs [them by] the arms and casts them out.

Therefore:
Lose Tao, and afterwards comes virtue.
Lose virtue, and afterwards comes benevolence.
Lose benevolence, and afterwards comes righteousness.
Lose righteousness, and afterwards comes etiquette.

Those who [act only by] etiquette
Are the thin shell of loyalty and sincerity and the leaders of chaos.
Those who are prescient
Are flowers of the Tao but also the initiators of folly.

Therefore, great people
Live in the thick and do not dwell in the thin.
Live in the real and do not dwell in the flowers.

This is the reason they let go of those
And receive these.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.