Jump to topic:

Atheism AMA

CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 2:04:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Since there's a Christianity AMA, why not make an Atheism AMA?

Ask me anything about atheism and agnosticism.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
"Submit to the soy or be annihilated." -Thett3
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 4:08:15 PM
At 3/17/2017 2:04:22 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

Were you genuinely religious at any point in your life?
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 4:12:36 PM
At 3/17/2017 4:08:15 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I was. Born and raised Catholic, insisted on having my wedding in the Catholic church under Catholic tradition, went to church every Sunday from when I was little until like 15, then started again when i was like 23 and searching. Had my kids baptized (I actually feel bad about this now). They made first communion (same thing, I'm embarrassed by it, but going through that really helped my kids see how crazy those beliefs are, so silver lining.). Started asking questions in my early 30's, decided like 5 years later I didn't have any reason to believe this stuff because it makes literally no sense to me, all of my personal positions were largely in opposition to "religious" positions, and came out to my wife at like 37, when my first kid was just about to make her first communion. Never looked back, never will.
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 5:40:48 PM
I have to say, theists, you're really living up to your reputation as generally incurious.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 5:45:56 PM

When I was fairly young, I was practically a devout Catholic. I received my sacrament of confirmation. Every night, I'd look at the moon and the light that shone through my windows and pray to God. Somehow, I thought that the moon symbolized God watching over us and protecting us while we sleep, and the moon's rays were his grace and hope. Cheesy, I know.

When I started eighth grade, I saw things from a different perspective. I was more aware of the world and what went on. I questioned why God would let things like disease and murder go on? He is God, surely, so he can do virtually anything!

After my grandmother died from cancer, I gradually thought less of God. I sought answers about God, and the world. How could the universe have come into existence without a God? I began investigating these sorts of questions, and saw science supplemented better answers than religion. I eventually became an atheist.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 5:51:34 PM
also, please accept my friend request and confirm if you'd still like to play mafia
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2017 5:52:14 PM
At 3/17/2017 5:51:34 PM, Vaarka wrote:
also, please accept my friend request and confirm if you'd still like to play mafia

Just did it.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 7:23:21 AM

Ask me anything about atheism and agnosticism

What is your definition of an atheist, and what is your definition of an agnostic?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 8:46:46 AM

Are you an expert? LOL!!!!!!
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:37:16 PM

Why did you combine these two philosophical positions?
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:40:46 PM
At 3/18/2017 9:37:16 PM, PureX wrote:

Why did you combine these two philosophical positions?

Ah, I guess it is a wee bit ridiculous for an atheist to answer questions aimed at agnostics.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:46:38 PM
My question would be; why did you presume that there is no God at all, rather than presume that the concept of God that you had thus far been presented, was simply inaccurate? Did it not occur to you that "God" might simply be something other than what you'd been told it was?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:53:18 PM

I don't think so, and I dunno. Not much to ask.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:55:39 PM
At 3/17/2017 4:12:36 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:

Started asking questions in my early 30's, decided like 5 years later I didn't have any reason to believe this stuff because it makes literally no sense to me, all of my personal positions were largely in opposition to "religious" positions, and came out to my wife at like 37, when my first kid was just about to make her first communion.

So in other words you were already not is a state of grace as a Catholic and instead of letting your belief illuminate your intellect, you decided that because your personal viewpoints were different, that the religion must be wrong. Sad.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:57:34 PM
At 3/17/2017 5:45:56 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

When I was fairly young, I was practically a devout Catholic. I received my sacrament of confirmation. Every night, I'd look at the moon and the light that shone through my windows and pray to God. Somehow, I thought that the moon symbolized God watching over us and protecting us while we sleep, and the moon's rays were his grace and hope. Cheesy, I know.

When I started eighth grade, I saw things from a different perspective. I was more aware of the world and what went on. I questioned why God would let things like disease and murder go on? He is God, surely, so he can do virtually anything!

After my grandmother died from cancer, I gradually thought less of God. I sought answers about God, and the world. How could the universe have come into existence without a God? I began investigating these sorts of questions, and saw science supplemented better answers than religion. I eventually became an atheist.

Really can you tell me how science answers it better? Did you delve deep into your Catholic faith? If there is any faith in the world that deals with suffering best it is the Catholic faith.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 9:58:20 PM
At 3/18/2017 8:46:46 AM, tarantula wrote:

Are you an expert? LOL!!!!!!

Do you have to be an expert to say I don't think so and I don't know?
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 10:40:55 PM
At 3/18/2017 9:57:34 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Really can you tell me how science answers it better? Did you delve deep into your Catholic faith?

Science is the application of knowledge to phenomena and uses math, factual information and experiments to prove or disprove theories and ideas. I've found theories supported by science to be more reliable than Holy Scriptures written hundreds of years ago that suggests men were created from clay, women from a man's rib, believes in magic and alchemy, and supports ideas such as the belief that those who are homosexual deserve to suffer an eternity in Hell.

As I said before, after my grandmother died from cancer, I questioned "God" and his existence entirely. If God truly cared about his people, he would have at least spared my grandmother of the pain she went through while suffering from cancer and cancer treatment.

If there is any faith in the world that deals with suffering best it is the Catholic faith.

And why do you think that?
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 10:42:47 PM
At 3/18/2017 9:55:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Started asking questions in my early 30's, decided like 5 years later I didn't have any reason to believe this stuff because it makes literally no sense to me, all of my personal positions were largely in opposition to "religious" positions, and came out to my wife at like 37, when my first kid was just about to make her first communion.

So in other words you were already not is a state of grace as a Catholic and instead of letting your belief illuminate your intellect, you decided that because your personal viewpoints were different, that the religion must be wrong. Sad.

Jeering at people simply because you have different outlooks on religion is much sadder. Pitiful.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 10:43:23 PM
At 3/18/2017 9:53:18 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I don't think so, and I dunno. Not much to ask.

This is willful ignorance writ large and he'll go to another thread and tell atheists what they believe as he has done so often. He's actually telling atheists what he believes they believe and when given the opportunity to actually learn something he runs as far and as fast as he can.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 11:00:50 PM
At 3/18/2017 10:40:55 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:
At 3/18/2017 9:57:34 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Really can you tell me how science answers it better? Did you delve deep into your Catholic faith?

Science is the application of knowledge to phenomena and uses math, factual information and experiments to prove or disprove theories and ideas. I've found theories supported by science to be more reliable than Holy Scriptures written hundreds of years ago that suggests men were created from clay, women from a man's rib, believes in magic and alchemy, and supports ideas such as the belief that those who are homosexual deserve to suffer an eternity in Hell.

And yet science developed in Christian nations. A pre scientific era Atheist would have no reason to believe that the world can be understood. Yet Christians had every reason to believe that the universe could be understood. The study of God's creation was deemed to be a noble pursuit because to understand the language of nature was to better understand and love God.

I'm sorry that you have an inability to understand poetic language. What did you learn when you were a practicing Catholic? Did you do a collage of the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit for your first communion? Anyone who has studied their faith more would give much better reasoning than this.

As I said before, after my grandmother died from cancer, I questioned "God" and his existence entirely. If God truly cared about his people, he would have at least spared my grandmother of the pain she went through while suffering from cancer and cancer treatment.

Do you know ANYTHING about Catholicism? Do people die? Yes. Do some die in horrible ways? Sure. Look at Jesus, look at the apostles and the martyrs? God does not promise no suffering in this world. Suffering can be a grace, just one that we do not want to embrace. We are all called to suffer for Christ. We can use our suffering and unite it to the suffering of Christ to atone for sin. That suffering may have been what was required of her to enter heaven.

Did she sometimes suffer as a child? Did she suffer as a parent raising children? I'm sorry, but you do not seem like you ever understood Catholicism. Did you never say a Rosary in your life? If so what pray tell do you think that this world being a veil of tears means?

If there is any faith in the world that deals with suffering best it is the Catholic faith.

And why do you think that?

Because Catholicism is about aleveating the suffering of others while embracing your and uniting it to Christs. It explains why there is suffering and what to do with it. That is why there is a crucifix in the front and centre of every church and why we represent Christ's sacrifice every mass.

It is why missionaries went to countries where they knew they were going to die. It is why someone like St. Lawrence who was being grilled alive told his executioners that he was done on the one side and to flip him over.

Do not think that I make light of her suffering. However her suffering gave you the ability to love her more than you could have otherwise. You had the ability to suffer with her. Suffering is not pleasant, but it can make us grow as people.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 11:03:39 PM
At 3/18/2017 10:42:47 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

Jeering at people simply because you have different outlooks on religion is much sadder. Pitiful.

I'm not jeering at you. I'm telling you what you should have known as a Catholic. However, like most these days (me included) you were taught such a watered down version of the faith that you did not truly understand it. That is what is sad.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2017 11:51:53 PM
At 3/18/2017 11:03:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I'm not jeering at you. I'm telling you what you should have known as a Catholic. However, like most these days (me included) you were taught such a watered down version of the faith that you did not truly understand it. That is what is sad.

I was originally referring to your comments on Ludofl.
Also, assuming that I converted simply because I was "taught such a watered down version of the faith" is not only sad, but ignorant and pathetic.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 12:04:31 AM

There is also a Buddhist AMA buried down there somewhere. I just want to ask, where do you derive moral principles from? Can anyone have any morality, does that include intolerant, assymetrical and atypical moralities? And if not, why not?
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 12:13:40 AM
At 3/19/2017 12:04:31 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

There is also a Buddhist AMA buried down there somewhere. I just want to ask, where do you derive moral principles from? Can anyone have any morality, does that include intolerant, assymetrical and atypical moralities? And if not, why not?

I believe people are born with the capacity to determine whether something is "right" or "wrong" from humans' cognitive abilities and abstract thought. I do not at all believe that there are objective morals.

Of course, these definitions of "good" or "bad" are subject to interpretation according to a person or society. For example, one person may argue that the death penalty is "morally good" for society because it deters criminals and gives rapists and murderers what they deserve. Another may argue that it is "morally bad" because we may risk killing an innocent person, or because it acts as a negative model for society.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 12:22:36 AM
At 3/19/2017 12:13:40 AM, CosmoJarvis wrote:

I believe people are born with the capacity to determine whether something is "right" or "wrong" from humans' cognitive abilities and abstract thought. I do not at all believe that there are objective morals.

Of course, these definitions of "good" or "bad" are subject to interpretation according to a person or society. For example, one person may argue that the death penalty is "morally good" for society because it deters criminals and gives rapists and murderers what they deserve. Another may argue that it is "morally bad" because we may risk killing an innocent person, or because it acts as a negative model for society.

So then morality is relegated to authority or mob rule. If the mob says it is okay to own slaves, it's okay? But that probably is not your position. I would rather think you believe slavery is always wrong. Slavery can be a good thing if the bond between slave and master is proper and not to the detriment of the slave. What gives you thenpresence of mind to determine morality? And if one can determine morality for oneself, how is it we can condemn another's morality?
Ludofl3x
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 12:26:03 AM

Leave off the sad, and yeah that's pretty much it! Your version is intentionally over simplified, because that helps it sound frivolous and minimal, so cool, bro. It's also presumptuous and predictable. What monumental decision point about your faith did you make? You weren more than likely born into your faith, particularly if you're catholic. My lack of faith and my ability to accept reality is arrived at honestly, and as an adult.

And faith has never illuminated intelleCT. Ithink your version is atouch overs simplified, it was afairly long and complicated process, and decision I was surprised by. I think faith fears true intellect quite rightfully. I think it was tertullian who proclaimed reason the biggest enemy of faith, it it was one of the first popes.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 12:35:08 AM
At 3/19/2017 12:22:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

So then morality is relegated to authority or mob rule. If the mob says it is okay to own slaves, it's okay? But that probably is not your position. I would rather think you believe slavery is always wrong. Slavery can be a good thing if the bond between slave and master is proper and not to the detriment of the slave. What gives you thenpresence of mind to determine morality? And if one can determine morality for oneself, how is it we can condemn another's morality?

Let me rephrase how I explain morals: I believe that we primarily acquire morals from our own experiences and other influences such as our parents.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 1:15:21 AM
At 3/19/2017 12:35:08 AM, CosmoJarvis wrote:
At 3/19/2017 12:22:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

Let me rephrase how I explain morals: I believe that we primarily acquire morals from our own experiences and other influences such as our parents.

Then morals are not free choices, but determined causation. Interesting...
Anonymous
3/19/2017 1:35:54 AM

Have you thought at all about what it will be like to suffer eternally the torments of Hell for your lack of faith?

I kid; I kid...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2017 3:06:01 AM
At 3/18/2017 11:51:53 PM, CosmoJarvis wrote:
At 3/18/2017 11:03:39 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I was originally referring to your comments on Ludofl.
Also, assuming that I converted simply because I was "taught such a watered down version of the faith" is not only sad, but ignorant and pathetic.

If that were true you wouldn't be an atheist. A deep training in the faith would have had you asking questions a lot earlier than in your 30s. By your own words you disagreed with the teachings of the Church on many issues but you never really questioned until your 30s? You obviously didn't embrace the faith before.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.