Total Posts:118|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Favorite Scripture

Geogeer
Posts: 6,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 8:34:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants
Mikal
Posts: 11,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 8:50:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

2 Kings 2:23-24King James Version (KJV)

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Reminds me of how compassionate God is
12_13
Posts: 2,575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 9:01:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

"...the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,908
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 11:10:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

there r plenty but here some of my verses...

- Is there any reward for good other than good? 55:60

- O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for Allah (God), even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives. Whether one is rich or poor, Allah is more worthy of both. So follow not [personal] inclination, lest you not be just. And if you distort [your testimony] or refuse [to give it], then indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted. 4:135

- For indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease. 94:4-5

- and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], "uff," and do not repel them but speak to them a noble word. 17:23

From the Hadiths (the sayings of the Prophet) there r 3 that really like..

- "Your Paradise lies under the feet of your mother" (meaning that pleasing ones mother is the key for Paradise...)

- A man came to the Prophet and said, "O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, "Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, "Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, "Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim).

- "I (The prophet) and the person who looks after an orphan and provides for him, will be in Paradise like this," putting his index and middle fingers together.

to be honest regardless of my religion i dont really need anything more than being with my parents in life and they r still alive :-) my greatest fear is that some day i will lost them but life goes on...
dont fart
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,908
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 11:16:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:34:47 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

i dont want to make a debate here but that story is a fabrication... in revised versions of the bible u wont find that story in them.


I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants
dont fart
PetersSmith
Posts: 6,898
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 11:46:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Exodus 3:14: "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Posts: 6,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2017 11:55:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 11:16:48 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 3/21/2017 8:34:47 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

i dont want to make a debate here but that story is a fabrication... in revised versions of the bible u wont find that story in them.

I am well aware of the issues with the pericope adulterae. St. Jerome had access to a greater number of texts than we do and its inclusion is justified.

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants
Skeptical1
Posts: 1,758
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:18:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:50:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

2 Kings 2:23-24King James Version (KJV)

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Reminds me of how compassionate God is

Psalm 137:9

Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!
Ethang5: Children cannot be morons.
Skeptical1: The only thing you have demonstrated is they don't have a monopoly on it.
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:45:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"And then a voice - of the Cosmocrator - came to the angels: "I am God and there is no other beside me." But I laughed joyfully when I examined his empty glory."

And I love this part:
"Yes, they saw me; they punished me. It was another, their father, who drank the gall and the vinegar; it was not I. They struck me with the reed; it was another, Simon, who bore the cross on his shoulder. I was another upon Whom they placed the crown of thorns. But I was rejoicing in the height over all the wealth of the archons and the offspring of their error, of their empty glory. And I was laughing at their ignorance."

Especially when you consider an earlier part:
"I visited a bodily dwelling. I cast out the one who was in it first, and I went in."

Honestly, The Second Treatise of the Great Seth and other similar works are all pretty fun reads.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:45:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It seems an old fashion language, but I know what it means.

BR
Mharman
Posts: 4,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:49:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Well, this topic was immediately trolled by those who insult religion, but anyways, here.

"Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life." -Revelations 2:10

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28
DebateArt.com is where all the users went.
Mharman
Posts: 4,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:51:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:50:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:

What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

Reminds me of how compassionate God is

You're under the perception that God doesn't have a justice side.
DebateArt.com is where all the users went.
Ludofl3x
Posts: 2,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:55:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 12:45:26 AM, Archaholic wrote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It seems an old fashion language, but I know what it means.

BR

Out of the whole scripture available, you choose a verse that baldly condemns homosexuality? Wow.
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 1:01:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 12:55:00 AM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 12:45:26 AM, Archaholic wrote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It seems an old fashion language, but I know what it means.

BR

Out of the whole scripture available, you choose a verse that baldly condemns homosexuality? Wow.
Further than banning homosexuality, this verse is putting an unwavering truth: homosexuality is unnatural, which doesn't mean to stop loving our neighbours as ourselves, even gays.

BR
Ludofl3x
Posts: 2,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:37:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 1:01:43 AM, Archaholic wrote:
At 3/22/2017 12:55:00 AM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 12:45:26 AM, Archaholic wrote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It seems an old fashion language, but I know what it means.

BR

Out of the whole scripture available, you choose a verse that baldly condemns homosexuality? Wow.
Further than banning homosexuality, this verse is putting an unwavering truth: homosexuality is unnatural, which doesn't mean to stop loving our neighbours as ourselves, even gays.

BR

You know tons of people, even today, use verses like this to specifically NOT love their neighbor, though, right? And in the past, it was used to justify way worse than not wanting them in your cake shop. Even today it's still preached from pulpits in the US. And how do you define unnatural? Because tons of animal species exhibit homosexuality. Wouldn't that make it part of nature, therefore natural?

Obviously you can think whatever you want (personally, I don't care if some Christian wants to deny services to a gay couple, they are the owner of the store and eventually the market will punish or reward them accordingly). I'm just a little surprised that with all of the verses that Christians point to as why they're Christians, why the bible's right, etc., that someone picked THIS specific verse out. I mean how many verses are in the bible? Got to be tens of thousands, I'd imagine. Out of all those, you saw this topic and thought "Yeah, the one about homosexuality is my FAVORITE!"?
illegalcombat
Posts: 1,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 12:57:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

But if this accusation is true and no evidence of the young woman"s virginity is found, 21 they will bring the woman to the door of her father"s house, and the men of her city will stone her to death. For she has committed an outrage in Israel by being promiscuous in her father"s house. You must purge the evil from you.

Cause watching a certain type of the bible is the perfect word of God trying to pass this off as divine instruction can be an endless source of entertainment of how people can justify anything, with enough ad hocness, & special pleading and sacrificing your integrity.

PS: I can't recall the same kill the non virgin command for the male, only the female, that divine wisdom eh ?

I also like the bible flood story.

A woman has one abortion, she is a murderer destined for eternal hell fire.

Kill most of humanity via flood, your a God.
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 12:37:58 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 1:01:43 AM, Archaholic wrote:
At 3/22/2017 12:55:00 AM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 12:45:26 AM, Archaholic wrote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." It seems an old fashion language, but I know what it means.

BR

Out of the whole scripture available, you choose a verse that baldly condemns homosexuality? Wow.
Further than banning homosexuality, this verse is putting an unwavering truth: homosexuality is unnatural, which doesn't mean to stop loving our neighbours as ourselves, even gays.

BR

You know tons of people, even today, use verses like this to specifically NOT love their neighbor, though, right? And in the past, it was used to justify way worse than not wanting them in your cake shop. Even today it's still preached from pulpits in the US. And how do you define unnatural? Because tons of animal species exhibit homosexuality. Wouldn't that make it part of nature, therefore natural?

To begin with, I'm not Christian.

When I say it's unnatural, I mean it's uncommon. Homosexuality seems to be a statistical error in the animal kingdom. If it were natural, homosexuals would be of the same amount as heterosexuals. Luckily they're a small percentage of the population.

Obviously you can think whatever you want (personally, I don't care if some Christian wants to deny services to a gay couple, they are the owner of the store and eventually the market will punish or reward them accordingly). I'm just a little surprised that with all of the verses that Christians point to as why they're Christians, why the bible's right, etc., that someone picked THIS specific verse out. I mean how many verses are in the bible? Got to be tens of thousands, I'd imagine. Out of all those, you saw this topic and thought "Yeah, the one about homosexuality is my FAVORITE!"?

I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world. I have the impression that many atheists in this forum have some issues concerning this particular topic. As you might know, many atheist are former christians who decided to step aside because they probably have, and still have as far as I can see, some issues concerning their sexuality. It's a very tough dilemma they have to deal with, and they express their emotional dilemma ranting on about "the flaws" of religions.

BR
Ludofl3x
Posts: 2,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 3:42:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

To begin with, I'm not Christian.

I'm surprised that you have a favorite verse from the Christian holy book, then...confusing, but okay.

When I say it's unnatural, I mean it's uncommon. Homosexuality seems to be a statistical error in the animal kingdom. If it were natural, homosexuals would be of the same amount as heterosexuals. Luckily they're a small percentage of the population.

Then say it's uncommon, because it's not unnatural. The two have entirely different meanings.

I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world. I have the impression that many atheists in this forum have some issues concerning this particular topic. As you might know, many atheist are former christians who decided to step aside because they probably have, and still have as far as I can see, some issues concerning their sexuality. It's a very tough dilemma they have to deal with, and they express their emotional dilemma ranting on about "the flaws" of religions.

BR

Wow. So "as you might know," did I miss the poll where atheists had to identify their sexual orientation? I'm not gay, never have been, and no secret gay thoughts or conspiracy played any role in my decision to give up faith. The stuff believers reveal about themselves inadvertently around here is fascinating, truly. You don't have to be gay to support gay rights, which includes the right to be married (legally, since only the state can grant an actual marriage license), because being married carries tax implications, health care implications, etc etc etc. I don't get how you arrive at most atheists are secretly gay. Can you illuminate us?
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 4:02:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 3:42:36 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

To begin with, I'm not Christian.

I'm surprised that you have a favorite verse from the Christian holy book, then...confusing, but okay.

When I say it's unnatural, I mean it's uncommon. Homosexuality seems to be a statistical error in the animal kingdom. If it were natural, homosexuals would be of the same amount as heterosexuals. Luckily they're a small percentage of the population.

Then say it's uncommon, because it's not unnatural. The two have entirely different meanings.

I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world. I have the impression that many atheists in this forum have some issues concerning this particular topic. As you might know, many atheist are former christians who decided to step aside because they probably have, and still have as far as I can see, some issues concerning their sexuality. It's a very tough dilemma they have to deal with, and they express their emotional dilemma ranting on about "the flaws" of religions.

BR

Wow. So "as you might know," did I miss the poll where atheists had to identify their sexual orientation? I'm not gay, never have been, and no secret gay thoughts or conspiracy played any role in my decision to give up faith. The stuff believers reveal about themselves inadvertently around here is fascinating, truly. You don't have to be gay to support gay rights, which includes the right to be married (legally, since only the state can grant an actual marriage license), because being married carries tax implications, health care implications, etc etc etc. I don't get how you arrive at most atheists are secretly gay. Can you illuminate us?

What else could be then? Do you think they're defending the knowledge and the sciences? Didn't you notice the similarities between the LGBT movement and atheists? They have the same speech and the same hatred towards religion. I wouldn't be surprised that many atheists here end up coming out of the closet.

I want to make clear that this is an impression I have. I might be wrong, but most of the time I am right.

BR
Ludofl3x
Posts: 2,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 4:11:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 4:02:08 PM, Archaholic wrote:
At 3/22/2017 3:42:36 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

To begin with, I'm not Christian.

I'm surprised that you have a favorite verse from the Christian holy book, then...confusing, but okay.

When I say it's unnatural, I mean it's uncommon. Homosexuality seems to be a statistical error in the animal kingdom. If it were natural, homosexuals would be of the same amount as heterosexuals. Luckily they're a small percentage of the population.

Then say it's uncommon, because it's not unnatural. The two have entirely different meanings.

I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world. I have the impression that many atheists in this forum have some issues concerning this particular topic. As you might know, many atheist are former christians who decided to step aside because they probably have, and still have as far as I can see, some issues concerning their sexuality. It's a very tough dilemma they have to deal with, and they express their emotional dilemma ranting on about "the flaws" of religions.

BR

Wow. So "as you might know," did I miss the poll where atheists had to identify their sexual orientation? I'm not gay, never have been, and no secret gay thoughts or conspiracy played any role in my decision to give up faith. The stuff believers reveal about themselves inadvertently around here is fascinating, truly. You don't have to be gay to support gay rights, which includes the right to be married (legally, since only the state can grant an actual marriage license), because being married carries tax implications, health care implications, etc etc etc. I don't get how you arrive at most atheists are secretly gay. Can you illuminate us?

What else could be then? Do you think they're defending the knowledge and the sciences? Didn't you notice the similarities between the LGBT movement and atheists? They have the same speech and the same hatred towards religion. I wouldn't be surprised that many atheists here end up coming out of the closet.

I want to make clear that this is an impression I have. I might be wrong, but most of the time I am right.

BR
So the only two options are "they are secret gays!" or...nothing? Not that they researched the faith, they were curious about science and the origin of things, they felt like religion placed an undue burden on them...nope, you're secret gay! Probably hit by those queer's gaybeams and turned gay at some point, or you're so secretly gay you don't even know it. Good thinking. Let me see if I can help.

The two line up because atheists are concerned with HUMANITY, and our shared struggle to make our lives better, more enjoyable. The LGBT movement and atheism also have commonalities because, and this is demonstrable in this forum, people of faith largely tend to view atheism as the UNNATURAL. If you come from a Christian background, and you decided you no longer believe and you want to tell your family, that can be traumatic, just like it would be to admit to your family that you're gay. The two, homosexuality and atheism, are not related in ANY other way. I would imagine many homosexuals might examine atheism because they are FAR more accepted by atheists than they are people of faith, in spite of the idiotic stance "hate the sin, love the sinner" nonsense. There is no sin in being gay. It's who you love and that's it. To an atheist, if you're gay, you're just gay, no one even cares, it's not an issue. You're just a person, like I am. You're black, you're brown, you're religious, you're not, none of it matters further than we're all people and we only get one chance to be alive, for a very, very brief time. Why would anyone want to make someone else's life more miserable because they choose to sleep with someone who's the same gender? Or because they're black? Or because they want to believe in a supernatural being?

Your position is almost impossible ignorant, but it's not uncommon, it seems.
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 4:51:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 4:11:50 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 4:02:08 PM, Archaholic wrote:
At 3/22/2017 3:42:36 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
At 3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

To begin with, I'm not Christian.

I'm surprised that you have a favorite verse from the Christian holy book, then...confusing, but okay.

When I say it's unnatural, I mean it's uncommon. Homosexuality seems to be a statistical error in the animal kingdom. If it were natural, homosexuals would be of the same amount as heterosexuals. Luckily they're a small percentage of the population.

Then say it's uncommon, because it's not unnatural. The two have entirely different meanings.

I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world. I have the impression that many atheists in this forum have some issues concerning this particular topic. As you might know, many atheist are former christians who decided to step aside because they probably have, and still have as far as I can see, some issues concerning their sexuality. It's a very tough dilemma they have to deal with, and they express their emotional dilemma ranting on about "the flaws" of religions.

BR

Wow. So "as you might know," did I miss the poll where atheists had to identify their sexual orientation? I'm not gay, never have been, and no secret gay thoughts or conspiracy played any role in my decision to give up faith. The stuff believers reveal about themselves inadvertently around here is fascinating, truly. You don't have to be gay to support gay rights, which includes the right to be married (legally, since only the state can grant an actual marriage license), because being married carries tax implications, health care implications, etc etc etc. I don't get how you arrive at most atheists are secretly gay. Can you illuminate us?

What else could be then? Do you think they're defending the knowledge and the sciences? Didn't you notice the similarities between the LGBT movement and atheists? They have the same speech and the same hatred towards religion. I wouldn't be surprised that many atheists here end up coming out of the closet.

I want to make clear that this is an impression I have. I might be wrong, but most of the time I am right.

BR
So the only two options are "they are secret gays!" or...nothing? Not that they researched the faith, they were curious about science and the origin of things, they felt like religion placed an undue burden on them...nope, you're secret gay! Probably hit by those queer's gaybeams and turned gay at some point, or you're so secretly gay you don't even know it. Good thinking. Let me see if I can help.

I will tell you why I think homosexuality fits better in the profile of an atheist. And once again, I'm not saying all atheists are like this, but it's more likely that an atheist have some moral issues that keep him away from christianity and any kind of religion, to the extent of hatred. And what else more inmoral than homosexuality!!

I think it's unconceivable that a person has a so negative attitude towards an institution that only promotes morality and ethics among their advocates. Christianity has shown to be committed to social devolepment, teaching people to love their neighbors no matter their condition, which includes homosexuals and other inmoral people like prostitutes, cheaters, and so on. So, if we have a religion that is all love and is also harmless to society, then what the heck are atheists quibbling about?

The two line up because atheists are concerned with HUMANITY, and our shared struggle to make our lives better, more enjoyable. The LGBT movement and atheism also have commonalities because, and this is demonstrable in this forum, people of faith largely tend to view atheism as the UNNATURAL. If you come from a Christian background, and you decided you no longer believe and you want to tell your family, that can be traumatic, just like it would be to admit to your family that you're gay. The two, homosexuality and atheism, are not related in ANY other way. I would imagine many homosexuals might examine atheism because they are FAR more accepted by atheists than they are people of faith, in spite of the idiotic stance "hate the sin, love the sinner" nonsense. There is no sin in being gay. It's who you love and that's it. To an atheist, if you're gay, you're just gay, no one even cares, it's not an issue. You're just a person, like I am. You're black, you're brown, you're religious, you're not, none of it matters further than we're all people and we only get one chance to be alive, for a very, very brief time. Why would anyone want to make someone else's life more miserable because they choose to sleep with someone who's the same gender? Or because they're black? Or because they want to believe in a supernatural being?

Your position is almost impossible ignorant, but it's not uncommon, it seems.
Take it easy, dude. You don't need to bring all this cliche that I'm tired of. I'm all for human rights, so gay people diserve to be treated as human beings. I just state that homosexuality shouldn't be a desired human behaviour. If someone is born gay, it's not his fault, but it doesn't mean we have to give in to this unnatural condition and deem it as a "natural behaviour", because it's indeed unnatural, uncommon, and not desirable.

I just want homsexuality to be considered again as a deviation, an abnormality, so that we can make efforts to overcome it. In the meanwhile we should guarantee the rights of these people.

BR
Ludofl3x
Posts: 2,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 5:34:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Your arguments are getting WORSE as they go on, I'm just telling you.

At 3/22/2017 4:51:47 PM, Archaholic wrote:
And once again, I'm not saying all atheists are like this, but it's more likely that an atheist have some moral issues that keep him away from christianity and any kind of religion, to the extent of hatred. And what else more inmoral than homosexuality!!
...
If someone is born gay, it's not his fault, but it doesn't mean we have to give in to this unnatural condition and deem it as a "natural behaviour", because it's indeed unnatural, uncommon, and not desirable.

Something cannot be "hereditary" or "genetic" (as in you're born with it) and "immoral" at the same time. As you had some difficulty with the distinction between 'uncommon' and 'unnatural' earlier, I'll grant that perhaps you're not a native English speaker, and try to help. People who are born into a condition of any type do not have any choice about doing so; ACTIONS AND CHOICES are immoral. If you think people are born gay, and your argument that it's a deviant condition (your word 'deviation' as well as other language like 'undesirable'), then the person who IS gay is not immoral at all. I'm pretty sure this is a big argument that the LGTBQ community makes (being gay isn't a choice). Can you please clarify what position you actually take? Holding both is paradoxical (they can't occupy the same space, basically).

I think it's unconceivable that a person has a so negative attitude towards an institution that only promotes morality and ethics among their advocates. Christianity has shown to be committed to social devolepment, teaching people to love their neighbors no matter their condition, which includes homosexuals and other inmoral people like prostitutes, cheaters, and so on. So, if we have a religion that is all love and is also harmless to society, then what the heck are atheists quibbling about?


You say it ONLY promotes morality, but that's not entirely true, either. It might promote your VERSION of morality, the one you subcribe to, and even that is highly, highly dubious. Your moral handbook endorses stoning adulterous women in the streets, you know that, right? Yeah, I know the story about Jesus and the cast the first stone thing (added late)...so we can ignore parts of this book? How do you decide which? I don't want to beat the dead horse, but there's tons of extremely morally objectionable edicts in the bible (the genocides, slavery, on and on and on). It might occasioanlly say something that sounds applicable today. Maybe we can discard the bible and look at the positive contributions of modern churches instead...like the ones who steal money from their adherents, or the sexual abuses of the Catholic priesthood (does this mean all priests are also secret gays? You have WAY more evidence here than you do for the secret Gay Atheist Alliance you say 'we all know' about.

Take it easy, dude. You don't need to bring all this cliche that I'm tired of. I'm all for human rights, so gay people diserve to be treated as human beings. I just state that homosexuality shouldn't be a desired human behaviour. If someone is born gay, it's not his fault, but it doesn't mean we have to give in to this unnatural condition and deem it as a "natural behaviour", because it's indeed unnatural, uncommon, and not desirable.

How is it either not desirable or not natural? Please elaborate. I know, these questions are hard, but when you expose yuorself as a religious bigot, you're going to get difficult questions. I mean I guess you could just run off and refuse to answer, but that would be cowardlce. Presuming someone is born gay, it can't be immoral, as we said earlier...wouldn't that mean God programmed them wrong?

I just want homsexuality to be considered again as a deviation, an abnormality, so that we can make efforts to overcome it. In the meanwhile we should guarantee the rights of these people.


I'll bite: if you had your way, what would happen? Like tomorrow someone in your town says "Let's do this." What's first? A newspaper headline proclaiming your ascent to power that looks like "Homosexuality Finally Classified as Deviance! Free at Last!" Then what happens? Would it surprise you if your townsfolk felt emboldened to harass the guy who cuts their hair now? Or the woman who runs the flower shop? Do you think gays would want to continue to live in your town, pay taxes there? Do you think they'd feel comfortable? What if a parent had a 15 year old son who felt like he was gay, and now he is not only unusual, but he is OFFICIALLY A FREAK. I mean we're not supposed to stone him in the streets, but he's a freak, that's your stance? If it isn't, what is it?

I'm betting you won't address any of this at all. I'll bet you're too cowardly to post in this topic again, or you'll significantly change your tune and tell me I read you wrong.
TheMarketLibertarian
Posts: 543
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 7:43:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

I'm an atheist, but I happened t like this verse:
"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
Danielle
Posts: 26,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 8:20:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. -- Ecclesiastes 9:10
Danielle
Posts: 26,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 8:21:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. -- 1 Corinthians 13
Danielle
Posts: 26,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 8:22:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 3:27:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:
I'm all for human rights, no matter if they're gays. If I chose this verse is because it's controversial, misunderstood and misinterpreted by the great majority of gays in the world.

Please enlighten us with the correct interpretation.
PureX
Posts: 4,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2017 8:36:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2017 8:19:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are your favorite verses from (any) religious Scripture?

One of the more illuminating lines from the Bible that I recall is the line: 'For mankind is punished through that with which he sins". I'm paraphrasing, slightly, and I can't give you the exact coordinates because I read this in an old Catholic Bible. In the 'Book of Wisdom'.

I also have always liked the biblical line : "For we (humans) are wonderfully and frightfully made". Ain't that the truth!

But if you're looking for wisdom literature, I would recommend the Tao Te Ching, rather than the Bible. Though it takes a special way of understanding to grasp it's meaning in many instances, it delivers an amazing degree of insight in very few words, in my opinion.

Example:

"When people see some things as beautiful,
other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other.

Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever."


- from the Tao Te Ching
Archaholic
Posts: 1,875
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2017 12:41:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/22/2017 5:34:00 PM, Ludofl3x wrote:
Your arguments are getting WORSE as they go on, I'm just telling you.

At 3/22/2017 4:51:47 PM, Archaholic wrote:
And once again, I'm not saying all atheists are like this, but it's more likely that an atheist have some moral issues that keep him away from christianity and any kind of religion, to the extent of hatred. And what else more inmoral than homosexuality!!
...
If someone is born gay, it's not his fault, but it doesn't mean we have to give in to this unnatural condition and deem it as a "natural behaviour", because it's indeed unnatural, uncommon, and not desirable.

Something cannot be "hereditary" or "genetic" (as in you're born with it) and "immoral" at the same time. As you had some difficulty with the distinction between 'uncommon' and 'unnatural' earlier, I'll grant that perhaps you're not a native English speaker, and try to help. People who are born into a condition of any type do not have any choice about doing so; ACTIONS AND CHOICES are immoral. If you think people are born gay, and your argument that it's a deviant condition (your word 'deviation' as well as other language like 'undesirable'), then the person who IS gay is not immoral at all. I'm pretty sure this is a big argument that the LGTBQ community makes (being gay isn't a choice). Can you please clarify what position you actually take? Holding both is paradoxical (they can't occupy the same space, basically).

Being homosexual is not inmoral, I thought that was clear. I've said homosexuality is inmoral, which is the action of getting laid with a person of the same gender. If you don't distinguish that difference, let me know so I can make it clearer.

In regards to the words unnatural and uncommon, homosexuality is unnatural because it goes against the expected natural behaviour, which is the same to say uncommon because it happens at times, it's not regular in NORMAL people. Both are synonyms according to the dictionary. Besides, it's not necessary to be a "homosexual" to commit homosexuality, you might know that nowadays with this stupid LGBT movement more and more heterosexuals are engaging in homosexuality, which is terrible and worrisome.

By the way, being a non-english native speaker has nothing to do in this debate because those words you mentioned are completely understood.

You say it ONLY promotes morality, but that's not entirely true, either. It might promote your VERSION of morality, the one you subcribe to, and even that is highly, highly dubious. Your moral handbook endorses stoning adulterous women in the streets, you know that, right? Yeah, I know the story about Jesus and the cast the first stone thing (added late)...so we can ignore parts of this book? How do you decide which? I don't want to beat the dead horse, but there's tons of extremely morally objectionable edicts in the bible (the genocides, slavery, on and on and on). It might occasioanlly say something that sounds applicable today. Maybe we can discard the bible and look at the positive contributions of modern churches instead...like the ones who steal money from their adherents, or the sexual abuses of the Catholic priesthood (does this mean all priests are also secret gays? You have WAY more evidence here than you do for the secret Gay Atheist Alliance you say 'we all know' about.

Blah, blah, blah, the usual atheist rethoric. If you want to discuss about christianity, there are lots of topics out there, if that is what you want, because religion is not the same as religious institution which are run by human beings and humanity is naturally prone to corruption.

How is it either not desirable or not natural? Please elaborate. I know, these questions are hard, but when you expose yuorself as a religious bigot, you're going to get difficult questions. I mean I guess you could just run off and refuse to answer, but that would be cowardlce. Presuming someone is born gay, it can't be immoral, as we said earlier...wouldn't that mean God programmed them wrong?

I'm getting worried about your reading capabilities, maybe you're a little upset and that's clouding your judgement. Maybe I'm not good enough in english, although some users said otherwise. But whatever it is, cool off and read carefully. Please.

Despite the ongoing debate about whether homosexuality is the result of nature or nurture, the evidence has shown that is more likely the first. And that is important because it could be used by scientists to determine the exact factor that triggers this deviation on human beings, which means at the same time a possible cure for the ones who want to be heterosexuals as most of the people. Because, you know, while there are homosexuals that feel good being homosexuals, there are also homosexuals that DON'T feel good being abnormal. They also deserve a little bit of support, respect and attention. Scientists must research the causes of homosexuality again so that homosexuals have a real choice this time. I assure you that if homosexuality could be overcome, most of the parents would like their children to be heterosexuals, no doubt about it.

Now, from a natural perspective, homosexuality is not desirable. I could show plenty of social issues that could come up in the future when accepting homosexuality in our society. But since this is a natural perspective, the only one that comes up to my mind is the health issue. It is well known that STDs are more common among homosexuals than heterosexuals.

https://www.cdc.gov...

The problem is that accepting homosexuality in our society has increased the number of bisexuals. I mean, heterosexuals are engaging more in bisexual relationships, because now homsexuality is just normal. The abnormality became normal, so it's ok to be bisexual, even if you have a very defined sexual orientation as the heterosexuality. And that tendency would spread STDs rapidly among the population.

I'll bite: if you had your way, what would happen? Like tomorrow someone in your town says "Let's do this." What's first? A newspaper headline proclaiming your ascent to power that looks like "Homosexuality Finally Classified as Deviance! Free at Last!" Then what happens? Would it surprise you if your townsfolk felt emboldened to harass the guy who cuts their hair now? Or the woman who runs the flower shop? Do you think gays would want to continue to live in your town, pay taxes there? Do you think they'd feel comfortable? What if a parent had a 15 year old son who felt like he was gay, and now he is not only unusual, but he is OFFICIALLY A FREAK. I mean we're not supposed to stone him in the streets, but he's a freak, that's your stance? If it isn't, what is it?

I'm betting you won't address any of this at all. I'll bet you're too cowardly to post in this topic again, or you'll significantly change your tune and tell me I read you wrong.

You're wrong, I already answered. Hope you come on with a very compelling reply free of passions and stupidity.
bulproof
Posts: 36,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2017 1:36:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.