Jump to topic:

Is a colony of ants a super organism?

SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 4:21:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Whether you view them as a single super organism or as a massless of highly organized individuals ants are amazing, what are your thoughts?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 5:07:55 AM
I think of ants as a bunch of really specialized individuals working together.
You ever kick a ant hill ant watch them all swarm about in a way that LOOKS random?
Makes me think of a computer somehow.
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 5:13:45 AM
At 12/29/2017 5:07:55 AM, Leaning wrote:
I think of ants as a bunch of really specialized individuals working together.
You ever kick a ant hill ant watch them all swarm about in a way that LOOKS random?
Makes me think of a computer somehow.

Some models for AI are based on exactly that swarming pattern.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 5:45:19 AM
Calling ants a superorganism feels kind of like calling a human one because all their cells work together, Then again I don't think ant colonies only have one brain.

Humans work together, respond to threats together. Not as together as ants though. Difference in intelligence, personality?
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 5:48:46 AM
At 12/29/2017 5:45:19 AM, Leaning wrote:
Calling ants a superorganism feels kind of like calling a human one because all their cells work together, Then again I don't think ant colonies only have one brain.

Humans work together, respond to threats together. Not as together as ants though. Difference in intelligence, personality?

A case for humans being a super organism could be made.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 7:45:35 PM
At 12/29/2017 5:48:46 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

Humans are a super organism. Basically we are a colony of bacteria, who work welltogether.
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 10:22:50 PM
At 12/31/2017 7:45:35 PM, janesix wrote:
Humans are a super organism. Basically we are a colony of bacteria, who work welltogether.:

If super means most complex then yes humans are super organism.

Bacteria reproduce so rapidly they would equal the mass of the Universe ---1990's--- or so stated Fred Hole. That is super fast.

Bacteria have been found in nuclear reactor pools of water next to the reactor rods incasing plutonium fuel.

Bacteria survive in pure sulphur pools.

Bacteria have been taken to the moon, left there til next trip and they came back to Earth alive

There exist more species of ant than any other animal.

Then there are the animals indeep oceans that that withstand incredible pressures.
" U "niverse > Universe > Universe I -verse < you-verse we-verse > them-verse
Gravitational SPACE ( + )
Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Time >66.4< --frequency ^v^v
Mind/Intellect 12--3-fold 4-fold and 5-fold
Biological *8* --bilateral four's
Spin <left 6 right >---Pitch, Yaw Roll{ 3 * 2 = 6 }
IS >2<--positive and negative tetrhaedron
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 10:46:37 PM
At 12/31/2017 10:22:50 PM, ebuc wrote:
Humans are a super organism. Basically we are a colony of bacteria, who work welltogether.:

I think in this instance, super organism means "more than the sum of its parts". A combined organism with an overarching consciousness above and beyond tge singular consciousnesses of its parts.
If super means most complex then yes humans are super organism.

Bacteria reproduce so rapidly they would equal the mass of the Universe ---1990's--- or so stated Fred Hole. That is super fast.

Bacteria have been found in nuclear reactor pools of water next to the reactor rods incasing plutonium fuel.

Bacteria survive in pure sulphur pools.

Bacteria have been taken to the moon, left there til next trip and they came back to Earth alive

There exist more species of ant than any other animal.

Then there are the animals indeep oceans that that withstand incredible pressures.
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 11:09:57 PM
At 12/31/2017 10:46:37 PM, janesix wrote:
I think in this instance, super organism means "more than the sum of its parts".:

Then that is a human, that, has same parts as dog, elephant ca, cimpanzest etc, yet the synergetic effect is that humans have much more access to metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts.

A combined organism with an overarching consciousness above and beyond tge singular consciousnesses of its parts.:

Well you already mentions bacteria in humans but there is also each individual cell combining to create the whole.

I do not think ants are a super organsim. I think ants are very cooperative via the intunement ---see the Borg--- with the others.

Are synchronized swimmers a super organism? Or a large set of humans all marching in unison. No, tho a smaller army may felt that they have been hit by a super organsim that is super cooperative, larger and more well organized.
Dark Energy SPACE )-(
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 11:17:43 PM
At 12/31/2017 11:09:57 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 12/31/2017 10:46:37 PM, janesix wrote:
I think in this instance, super organism means "more than the sum of its parts".:

Then that is a human, that, has same parts as dog, elephant ca, cimpanzest etc, yet the synergetic effect is that humans have much more access to metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts.

A combined organism with an overarching consciousness above and beyond tge singular consciousnesses of its parts.:

Well you already mentions bacteria in humans but there is also each individual cell combining to create the whole.

I do not think ants are a super organsim. I think ants are very cooperative via the intunement ---see the Borg--- with the others.

Are synchronized swimmers a super organism? Or a large set of humans all marching in unison. No, tho a smaller army may felt that they have been hit by a super organsim that is super cooperative, larger and more well organized.

All organisms are organized by morphic fields. These fields are what hold consciousness. An ant or termite colony has its own consciousness apart from each individual ant/termite. Do you think all those instincts to build and repair elaborate nests are stored in brains the size of a grain of sand?
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 11:36:26 PM
At 12/31/2017 11:17:43 PM, janesix wrote:
All organisms are organized by morphic fields.:

Huh? I doubt that.

These fields are what hold consciousness.:

I doubt that. Is there any truly credible --been reproduce by many in lab science?-- evidence? Penrose is more likely to say it is the gravitational struture of space-time and I would agree.

An ant or termite colony has its own consciousness apart from each individual ant/termite. Do you think all those instincts to build and repair elaborate nests are stored in brains the size of a grain of sand?:

Any brain is complex and we really know so little about the complexity of relationships going on in any brain.

If brains were simple, humans would have a factory producing brains left and right to replace dieseased and aging brains.
Dark Energy SPACE )-(
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 4:58:42 AM

Humans are a super organism. Basically we are a colony of bacteria, who work welltogether.

If a human is a colony of organisms that qualify as a super organism then you have just pushedvthe question back a step because ants individual any is similarly a collection of organic cells cooperating, so then the question becomes is a colony of ants a super super organism. The real question is wether or not a colony of ants could be considered a single organism.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 5:09:09 AM
At 1/1/2018 4:58:42 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

If a human is a colony of organisms that qualify as a super organism then you have just pushedvthe question back a step because ants individual any is similarly a collection of organic cells cooperating, so then the question becomes is a colony of ants a super super organism. The real question is wether or not a colony of ants could be considered a single organism.

Yes, a single organism, as well as individual organisms. Holons. A nested hierarchy of oeganisms/consciousnesses.
SecularMerlin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 5:15:28 AM
At 1/1/2018 5:09:09 AM, janesix wrote:
At 1/1/2018 4:58:42 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:

Yes, a single organism, as well as individual organisms. Holons. A nested hierarchy of oeganisms/consciousnesses.

Did you know that the intake portion of a fireants mouthparts are less tyan six microns wide? That means the ants cannot eat solid food and can't survive without the colony since it is the larvae that digest solid food. This is process is accomplished externally.
-Socrates

-Lewis Carrol
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:05:24 PM
Yes, a single organism, as well as individual organisms. Holons. A nested hierarchy of oeganisms/consciousnesses.:

No, a colony is not a single organism. Just greatly inter-dependent ---operating system?--- on each other.
Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 4:53:20 PM
At 1/3/2018 3:05:24 PM, ebuc wrote:
Yes, a single organism, as well as individual organisms. Holons. A nested hierarchy of oeganisms/consciousnesses.:

No, a colony is not a single organism. Just greatly inter-dependent ---operating system?--- on each other.

More horse sh!t? don't you ever get tired of everyone (yes it's everyone) either ignoring you or ridiculing you?:
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:08:44 PM
At 1/14/2018 4:53:20 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
More horse sh!t? don't you ever get tired of everyone (yes it's everyone) either ignoring you or ridiculing you?:

I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:28:50 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:08:44 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 4:53:20 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

More horse sh!t? don't you ever get tired of everyone (yes it's everyone) either ignoring you or ridiculing you?
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:48:22 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:28:50 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

--O I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:48:49 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:48:22 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 6:28:50 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

--O I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

More horse sh!t? don't you ever get tired of everyone (yes it's everyone) either ignoring you or ridiculing you?
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:51:50 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:48:49 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray of dirty harry and send him money for his medical bills.

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:52:20 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:51:50 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 6:48:49 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray of dirty harry and send him money for his medical bills.

ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 6:58:24 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:52:20 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray for dirty harry this week

8-O I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:28:39 PM
At 1/14/2018 6:58:24 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 6:52:20 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray for dirty harry this week

8-O I think we all need to pray for dirty harry to heal his mental issues currently looping in his dirty mind.

ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:37:27 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:28:39 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray for dirty harry this week. He has no hand-held toy model that comes close to Fullers Ve/jitterbug and his ego is causing his mental disintgration Sad :--(

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:37:54 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:37:27 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 7:28:39 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Pray for dirty harry this week. He has no hand-held toy model that comes close to Fullers Ve/jitterbug and his ego is causing his mental disintgration Sad :--(

ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:41:13 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:37:54 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Where is the your comparable hand-hedl toy model of natures coordinates? Yo have none. Ego is working over time ergo your mental disintegration.

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:44:12 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:41:13 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 7:37:54 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Where is the your comparable hand-hedl toy model of natures coordinates? Yo have none. Ego is working over time ergo your mental disintegration.

ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:46:53 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:44:12 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Sad lack of moral integrity and intellectual

Dark Energy SPACE )-(
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2018 7:48:20 PM
At 1/14/2018 7:46:53 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 1/14/2018 7:44:12 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Sad lack of moral integrity and intellectual

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.