Jump to topic:

Climate change - man made or not

FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2017 6:07:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The climate of earth has been consistently changing over the last 65 million years. We have had 2 ice ages, a meteoroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs and the weather fluctuates from year to year. We have had extreme weather in the middle ages, some years were extremely hot and some years extremely cold.

My point is the climate is always changing, now the big issue is how humans have affected the environment. There is no doubt we have put a hole in the ozone layer, our atmosphere is littered with junk, old satellites and debris, our oceans are littered with plastic and toxins and I do believe we are affecting the climate. Scientists are saying that the Arctic ice could be all melted by 2030.

So why are there so many deniers of human climate change, I realize that the climate has changed in the past, but I don't see how we can deny that we are at least accelerating the global warming as humans. How can anyone deny it?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2017 7:51:52 PM
At 6/8/2017 6:07:33 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
The climate of earth has been consistently changing over the last 65 million years. We have had 2 ice ages, a meteoroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs and the weather fluctuates from year to year. We have had extreme weather in the middle ages, some years were extremely hot and some years extremely cold.

My point is the climate is always changing, now the big issue is how humans have affected the environment. There is no doubt we have put a hole in the ozone layer, our atmosphere is littered with junk, old satellites and debris, our oceans are littered with plastic and toxins and I do believe we are affecting the climate. Scientists are saying that the Arctic ice could be all melted by 2030.

So why are there so many deniers of human climate change, I realize that the climate has changed in the past, but I don't see how we can deny that we are at least accelerating the global warming as humans. How can anyone deny it?

I think the only credible argument that can be made is the extent that humans are influencing climate change. Obviously we are contributing to global warming to some extent but to what degree it is hard for anyone to say with certainty.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2017 8:20:39 PM
At 6/8/2017 7:51:52 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

I think the only credible argument that can be made is the extent that humans are influencing climate change. Obviously we are contributing to global warming to some extent but to what degree it is hard for anyone to say with certainty.

According to most scientist we are contributing at an alarming rate, rates that took millions of years in the past are being reached in decades. It almost sounds like by 2030 half the cities like Manhattan will be completely under water!!

I better start building my Ark now LOL
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2017 4:39:54 AM
At 6/8/2017 8:20:39 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

According to most scientist we are contributing at an alarming rate, rates that took millions of years in the past are being reached in decades. It almost sounds like by 2030 half the cities like Manhattan will be completely under water!!

I feel like this is one of those parts in life where you realized adults were never these super human grown-ups you thought they were. Werealgonnadyologists probly don't have a clue and collect government benefits, but you should still recycle, buy a wussmobile and all that jazz.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2017 5:39:37 PM

pfft... a few volcanic eruptions is more CO2 than all the planet's cars idling for 100 years.

One asteroid impact is 100 times more powerful than every thermonuclear device on the planet detonated at once.

"The earth aint goin nowhere...we are..." -George Carlin
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2017 5:50:14 PM

What's the best global temperature for the planet to support green life? We could be unwittingly creating a tropical garden of Eden!
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2017 6:48:57 AM
At 6/16/2017 5:50:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

What's the best global temperature for the planet to support green life? We could be unwittingly creating a tropical garden of Eden!

I'm not sure what the best temperature is but I think it's clear humanity as a whole would benefit from stable global temperatures. Climate change is not a priority for me though. I just don't think it is something that can really be stopped by a significant degree. I wouldn't bother with any economically damaging environmental policies. Maybe it's a view partially formed from the fact it's too cold where I live most of the time and a one or two degree average increase in temperature is actually quite appealing!
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2017 6:52:05 AM

In my opinion people living in urban areas in developed countries have little to fear from climate change.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.