Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 12:44:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2018 9:48:14 AM, Leaning wrote:
Notice his first name is Jeremy.

http://www.msn.com...

yeah I saw that, got a good laugh out of it, what actual harm if any can be pointed to, oh wait maybe some feelings,, boohoo This is nothing new, like white with dread locks, wearing the sagging pants. It's all so stupid from a generation that is rabid about inclusiveness, I guess it's just selective like so many other things. I don't hear people of other countries rage if you make one of their ethnic foods or order it in a restaurant.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 12:57:30 PM
Only reason I suppose it might be offensive is if it's analogous to someone wearing the clothes of a priest or a nun while not actually being such.

Is it like that? I thought it was more akin to a top hat or tuxedo.

A flaw of the internet seems to be how easy it is for everyone to talk and spew their inner thoughts the way they wouldn't in public (Including me). Feels like being a mind reader in a mall sometimes. At least we can turn it off.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 1:03:53 PM
At 5/2/2018 12:57:30 PM, Leaning wrote:
Only reason I suppose it might be offensive is if it's analogous to someone wearing the clothes of a priest or a nun while not actually being such.

they make costumes like the for Halloween.....I'd bet shows that sell sexy clothes sell nun get ups.

A flaw of the internet seems to be how easy it is for everyone to talk and spew their inner thoughts the way they wouldn't in public (Including me). Feels like being a mind reader in a mall sometimes. At least we can turn it off.

so true.
for all the hypersensitivity over trivial things, there are those who go in the opposite direction to maintain some balance, whether they realize it or not. I think we are already becoming desensitized to all of this, which is inevitable. The boy who cried wolf/racist/homophob/ ad nauseam
notice no one talks about how many are killed on a weekend in Chicago anymore, it's sad really.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 2:27:29 PM

Its kind of natural for me because of my upbringing to be respectful of culture so I don't ignorantly mistreat something no longer produced and not buy into consumerism for what I believe people find valuable enough to preserve in their family. There's no reason to be rash about such things is all, just ignorance which is easily remedied.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 3:14:38 PM
At 5/2/2018 2:27:29 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Its kind of natural for me because of my upbringing to be respectful of culture so I don't ignorantly mistreat something no longer produced and not buy into consumerism for what I believe people find valuable enough to preserve in their family. There's no reason to be rash about such things is all, just ignorance which is easily remedied.

was she being disrespectful? if so how? Does your upbringing include flags as well? Chinese food is commercialized to a huge extent, to the point much isn't even original or ethnic, yet still bares it's name.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 6:45:02 PM
At 5/2/2018 3:14:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

was she being disrespectful? if so how? Does your upbringing include flags as well? Chinese food is commercialized to a huge extent, to the point much isn't even original or ethnic, yet still bares it's name.

Not that I know of. She seems to appreciate the authentic style and actually cared, would probably better serve as an example of cultural respect unless someone explains otherwise. Culture persists because people continue to have value in themselves and who they are and it's just good nature to be generally respectful that there is something more than "cool" in culture. I'm proud of my people and my country, and I want it spread around, just common sense to be appreciative and careful about things.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 6:54:44 PM
At 5/2/2018 6:45:02 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Not that I know of. She seems to appreciate the authentic style and actually cared, would probably better serve as an example of cultural respect unless someone explains otherwise. Culture persists because people continue to have value in themselves and who they are and it's just good nature to be generally respectful that there is something more than "cool" in culture. I'm proud of my people and my country, and I want it spread around, just common sense to be appreciative and careful about things.

sure, recent update is the Chinese want her to go there to model the dress LOL, they love it.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 7:26:19 PM
At 5/2/2018 6:54:44 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

sure, recent update is the Chinese want her to go there to model the dress LOL, they love it.

You serious? Source?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 7:31:46 PM
At 5/2/2018 7:26:19 PM, SamStevens wrote:

You serious? Source?

not their government, not yet anyway, but yeah some see it as opposite to all the outrage.
http://www.foxnews.com...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 10:10:35 PM
At 5/2/2018 7:31:46 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

You serious? Source?

not their government, not yet anyway, but yeah some see it as opposite to all the outrage.

Apparently, the majority of people in China find no issue with the dress:

https://www.nytimes.com...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2018 11:30:12 PM
At 5/2/2018 10:10:35 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 5/2/2018 7:31:46 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

You serious? Source?

Apparently, the majority of people in China find no issue with the dress:

https://www.nytimes.com...

if you look at the movies that no one EVER complained about, why all of a sudden do they care now. Ever seen the movie Rush Hour and how Chris Tucker dresses? I mean come on, these sjw need to get a life.
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2018 1:31:06 AM

No race, culture, or group owns fashion. You don"t have a right to say because your skin is the wrong color, because you are not of my religion, culture, or group; you can"t wear, own, or possess this or that, or the other. In a free country, people can wear what they want as long as it isn"t illegal and if anyone has a problem with it, that is their problem.
Anonymous
5/11/2018 1:58:22 AM

"First world problems, yo!"

Yeah, I felt the same outrage when I found out Japanese youth were going through an 80's US fashion phase... Honestly, is this sort of outrage even a thing outside of Western European cultures? I doubt it.

https://www.google.com...:
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2018 2:24:15 AM
At 5/11/2018 1:31:06 AM, ken1122 wrote:

No race, culture, or group owns fashion. You don"t have a right to say because your skin is the wrong color, because you are not of my religion, culture, or group; you can"t wear, own, or possess this or that, or the other. In a free country, people can wear what they want as long as it isn"t illegal and if anyone has a problem with it, that is their problem.

Have been places that made all it's people look the same, Chinese queue under the Manchu. Not really the "modern" way most people view it though. In America I suppose. And a lot of the complaints about the hijab ban tend to use the same concerns people use against masks in public. Though they don't always limit it to that.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2018 2:25:35 AM
At 5/11/2018 1:58:22 AM, Fly wrote:

"First world problems, yo!"

Yeah, I felt the same outrage when I found out Japanese youth were going through an 80's US fashion phase... Honestly, is this sort of outrage even a thing outside of Western European cultures? I doubt it.

https://www.google.com...:

Hahaha. I could imagine simply older Americans just being upset at younger Americans if they tried to revive a style they saw as "theirs".
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2018 7:20:13 AM
At 5/2/2018 3:03:00 PM, Leaning wrote:
The internet seems made for the vocal minority sometimes.

What I find funny is how often that vocal minority is made-out to be a big-deal and that something is awash in controversy.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.