Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Hyper-sexualized images damage society.

Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2018 8:22:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I thought that media was just harmless fun. I'm not so sure after watching this video. [0]

"A study by University at Buffalo sociologists has found that the portrayal of women in the popular media over the last several decades has become increasingly sexualized, even "pornified." The same is not true of the portrayal of men.

These findings may be cause for concern, the researchers say, because previous research has found sexualized images of women to have far-reaching negative consequences for both men and women."
[1]

Is this true? News to me.

Sources.
https://feministfrequency.com...
https://www.sciencedaily.com...
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2018 4:52:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I thought I'd add in this statistic seems enough on topic.

"About 19.3% of women have been raped at least once in their lives, according to survey results released Friday from the"
CDC: Nearly 1 in 5 women raped
USA Today NetworkJessica Durando, USA TODAY Published 8:53 a.m. ET Sept. 7, 2014 | Updated 2:52 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2014

https://www.usatoday.com...
Athias
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2018 1:22:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2018 4:52:19 AM, Stupidape wrote:
I thought I'd add in this statistic seems enough on topic.

"About 19.3% of women have been raped at least once in their lives, according to survey results released Friday from the"
CDC: Nearly 1 in 5 women raped
USA Today NetworkJessica Durando, USA TODAY Published 8:53 a.m. ET Sept. 7, 2014 | Updated 2:52 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2014

https://www.usatoday.com...

The nearly 1 in 5 women being raped was concluded from a survey? And only 1.6 percent of them reported that they were raped within the 12 months preceding the survey? "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2018 2:51:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/10/2018 1:22:07 PM, Athias wrote:


The nearly 1 in 5 women being raped was concluded from a survey? And only 1.6 percent of them reported that they were raped within the 12 months preceding the survey? "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

The CDC and USAtoday are credible sources, so nothing is rotten. As for being a survey, science is like math, a pyramid of building knowledge. A cohort study, or survey is a good start. A study that used evidence as well as a survey would be better. For example, using rape kits to determine who is telling the truth.

"Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Notes: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the leading national public health institute of the United States."


"LEAST BIASED

These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.

Factual Reporting: HIGH"


Here's some info about what a rape kit is.

"Every 98 seconds, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States. In the immediate aftermath of a sexual assault, a victim may choose"or may be asked"to undergo a forensic examination to collect any evidence left behind in the assault. A doctor or nurse will conduct the four- to six-hour examination, and will preserve this evidence in a sexual assault evidence collection kit, commonly referred to as a rape kit. If a survivor chooses to report the rape to the police, the evidence in the rape kit can be one a very powerful tool to bring a perpetrator to justice." endthebacklog.org

Sources.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
http://www.endthebacklog.org...
Athias
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2018 12:21:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2018 2:51:57 AM, Stupidape wrote:
At 5/10/2018 1:22:07 PM, Athias wrote:


The nearly 1 in 5 women being raped was concluded from a survey? And only 1.6 percent of them reported that they were raped within the 12 months preceding the survey? "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

The CDC and USAtoday are credible sources, so nothing is rotten. As for being a survey, science is like math, a pyramid of building knowledge. A cohort study, or survey is a good start. A study that used evidence as well as a survey would be better. For example, using rape kits to determine who is telling the truth.

"Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

Notes: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the leading national public health institute of the United States."


"LEAST BIASED

These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.

Factual Reporting: HIGH"


Here's some info about what a rape kit is.

"Every 98 seconds, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States. In the immediate aftermath of a sexual assault, a victim may choose"or may be asked"to undergo a forensic examination to collect any evidence left behind in the assault. A doctor or nurse will conduct the four- to six-hour examination, and will preserve this evidence in a sexual assault evidence collection kit, commonly referred to as a rape kit. If a survivor chooses to report the rape to the police, the evidence in the rape kit can be one a very powerful tool to bring a perpetrator to justice." endthebacklog.org

Sources.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com...
http://www.endthebacklog.org...

You are far too reliant on the credibility of the source rather than the standard of the methodology. It doesn't matter who conducts the survey, research, and/or study. If it's factual, then it's factual. You should read your sources because there is something rotten given that the numbers I cited were from said source.
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2018 11:05:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2018 12:21:25 PM, Athias wrote:


You are far too reliant on the credibility of the source rather than the standard of the methodology. It doesn't matter who conducts the survey, research, and/or study. If it's factual, then it's factual. You should read your sources because there is something rotten given that the numbers I cited were from said source.

The methodology is more than enough. The opposing argument seems to have impossible expectations. My argument uses sound science. Finally, the study is on life time rape. Many women were raped when they were young.

"According to the survey, many victims of sexual abuse were victimized at a young age. Perhaps one of the most striking stats is that among women victims of completed rape, about 79% were first raped before age 25, and 40% before age 18." Usatoday

My argument is sound.
Athias
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2018 11:26:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2018 11:05:40 PM, Stupidape wrote:
At 5/14/2018 12:21:25 PM, Athias wrote:


You are far too reliant on the credibility of the source rather than the standard of the methodology. It doesn't matter who conducts the survey, research, and/or study. If it's factual, then it's factual. You should read your sources because there is something rotten given that the numbers I cited were from said source.

The methodology is more than enough. The opposing argument seems to have impossible expectations. My argument uses sound science. Finally, the study is on life time rape. Many women were raped when they were young.

"According to the survey, many victims of sexual abuse were victimized at a young age. Perhaps one of the most striking stats is that among women victims of completed rape, about 79% were first raped before age 25, and 40% before age 18." Usatoday

My argument is sound.

No, you just believe it's sound. You haven't paid attention to the method by which they acquired this information, and you accept it without any scrutiny because "the source is credible." Citing surveys and studies don't mean much of anything if you don't understand that which you've cited. And it's pretty clear that the only validation your invoking in your argument is the citation itself, not the facts.

Anyone can cite a study, Stupidape; not everyone can use them in making an effectively sound argument.
Kevin_Fishcer
Posts: 282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2018 12:16:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2018 8:22:53 AM, Stupidape wrote:
I thought that media was just harmless fun. I'm not so sure after watching this video. [0]

"A study by University at Buffalo sociologists has found that the portrayal of women in the popular media over the last several decades has become increasingly sexualized, even "pornified." The same is not true of the portrayal of men.

These findings may be cause for concern, the researchers say, because previous research has found sexualized images of women to have far-reaching negative consequences for both men and women."
[1]

Is this true? News to me.

Sources.
https://feministfrequency.com...
https://www.sciencedaily.com...

No homo or anything but alot of the movie I seen today where a dude is a character have a six pack, A serious demeanor (I would even claim pychopathic) and go on some epic aventure to save Naria or some crap. No average person are like that.
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2018 3:42:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2018 11:26:35 PM, Athias wrote:

The methodology is adequate.

"By contrast, the CDC study was based on the tried-and-true technique of telephone polling -- and used a far larger, and more random, sample." Barack Obama says nearly 20 percent of women in the U.S. have been raped or faced rape attempt By Louis Jacobson on Monday, February 16th, 2015 at 12:06 p.m. http://www.politifact.com... retrieved May 14th 2018.

"A well-respected survey by the CDC found that 19.3 percent of women reported experiences that are considered to be rape or attempted rape under the survey"s guidelines." Jacobson

http://www.politifact.com...
Greyparrot
Posts: 21,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2018 4:04:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2018 2:51:57 AM, Stupidape wrote:
At 5/10/2018 1:22:07 PM, Athias wrote:


The nearly 1 in 5 women being raped was concluded from a survey? And only 1.6 percent of them reported that they were raped within the 12 months preceding the survey? "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

The CDC and USAtoday are credible sources, so nothing is rotten. As for being a survey, science is like math, a pyramid of building knowledge. A cohort study, or survey is a good start. A study that used evidence as well as a survey would be better. For example, using rape kits to determine who is telling the truth.

"Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH

This is the best example yet on this site where critical thinking is COMPLETELY replaced by appeals to authority. Dismissing a 19% discrepancy... because the source is "authoritative."
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2018 6:16:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2018 4:04:34 AM, Greyparrot wrote:


This is the best example yet on this site where critical thinking is COMPLETELY replaced by appeals to authority. Dismissing a 19% discrepancy... because the source is "authoritative."

You can't just dismiss my argument based upon an appeal to authority.

"It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. "

You need to show empirical evidence of how my argument is incorrect.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
Stupidape
Posts: 650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2018 6:20:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/15/2018 12:16:35 AM, Kevin_Fishcer wrote:
At 5/7/2018 8:22:53 AM, Stupidape wrote:
I thought that media was just harmless fun. I'm not so sure after watching this video. [0]

"A study by University at Buffalo sociologists has found that the portrayal of women in the popular media over the last several decades has become increasingly sexualized, even "pornified." The same is not true of the portrayal of men.

These findings may be cause for concern, the researchers say, because previous research has found sexualized images of women to have far-reaching negative consequences for both men and women."
[1]

Is this true? News to me.

Sources.
https://feministfrequency.com...
https://www.sciencedaily.com...

No homo or anything but alot of the movie I seen today where a dude is a character have a six pack, A serious demeanor (I would even claim pychopathic) and go on some epic aventure to save Naria or some crap. No average person are like that.

Many fantasies have extremely unrealistic features. Zombies, werewolves, vampires, and dragons. Nevertheless media still impacts us due to the third person effect.

"A nationwide telephone survey of 721 adults examined the impact of the third-person effect on individuals' perceptions of the media's general influence and immorality effects with three issues. The third-person effect perceptual hypothesis predicts that individuals will perceive media messages to have greater effects on other people than on themselves."

http://journals.sagepub.com...

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.