Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Sharia..

falconduler
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2018 12:43:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

What good does sharia law provide exactly? More importantly can individual laws within sharia be altered or gotten rid of if they begin to do more harm than good? I have to tell you any law that cannot be altered or gotten rid of is a law whose purpose I am skeptical of.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
falconduler
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2018 8:57:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/8/2018 12:43:04 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

What good does sharia law provide exactly? More importantly can individual laws within sharia be altered or gotten rid of if they begin to do more harm than good? I have to tell you any law that cannot be altered or gotten rid of is a law whose purpose I am skeptical of.

I'm not a Muslim but I've spent a few years studying Islamic culture and to answer your question Sharia can be altered and in fact it often is. Sharia often varies from one country to the next... Sharia in Lebanon is a voluntary compliance jurisprudence but mandatory in Saudi Arabia. .. America is in a state of social convulsion and it will soon sink into a cesspool of filth and immorality.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2018 1:08:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/9/2018 8:57:29 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 7/8/2018 12:43:04 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

What good does sharia law provide exactly? More importantly can individual laws within sharia be altered or gotten rid of if they begin to do more harm than good? I have to tell you any law that cannot be altered or gotten rid of is a law whose purpose I am skeptical of.

I'm not a Muslim but I've spent a few years studying Islamic culture and to answer your question Sharia can be altered and in fact it often is. Sharia often varies from one country to the next... Sharia in Lebanon is a voluntary compliance jurisprudence but mandatory in Saudi Arabia. .. America is in a state of social convulsion and it will soon sink into a cesspool of filth and immorality.

A cesspool of filth and immorality, really you don't say. Do you have any examples of American immorality and the way sharia can improve that specific example?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
falconduler
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2018 9:41:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2018 1:08:37 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/9/2018 8:57:29 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 7/8/2018 12:43:04 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

What good does sharia law provide exactly? More importantly can individual laws within sharia be altered or gotten rid of if they begin to do more harm than good? I have to tell you any law that cannot be altered or gotten rid of is a law whose purpose I am skeptical of.

I'm not a Muslim but I've spent a few years studying Islamic culture and to answer your question Sharia can be altered and in fact it often is. Sharia often varies from one country to the next... Sharia in Lebanon is a voluntary compliance jurisprudence but mandatory in Saudi Arabia. .. America is in a state of social convulsion and it will soon sink into a cesspool of filth and immorality.

A cesspool of filth and immorality, really you don't say. Do you have any examples of American immorality and the way sharia can improve that specific example?

Does the term gay pride parades ring a bell? ..
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2018 1:02:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2018 9:41:50 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 7/10/2018 1:08:37 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/9/2018 8:57:29 PM, falconduler wrote:
At 7/8/2018 12:43:04 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

What good does sharia law provide exactly? More importantly can individual laws within sharia be altered or gotten rid of if they begin to do more harm than good? I have to tell you any law that cannot be altered or gotten rid of is a law whose purpose I am skeptical of.

I'm not a Muslim but I've spent a few years studying Islamic culture and to answer your question Sharia can be altered and in fact it often is. Sharia often varies from one country to the next... Sharia in Lebanon is a voluntary compliance jurisprudence but mandatory in Saudi Arabia. .. America is in a state of social convulsion and it will soon sink into a cesspool of filth and immorality.

A cesspool of filth and immorality, really you don't say. Do you have any examples of American immorality and the way sharia can improve that specific example?

Does the term gay pride parades ring a bell? ..

Yes but what do they have to do with morality?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Leaning
Posts: 2,918
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2018 3:05:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

I feel doubtful. Though I can't say I really know much about Sharia law. Still, America seems rather determined in my eyes to make the most of equality that they can.

We have women in the military and about everywhere else in society after all.

I doubt our stance would be changing anytime soon unless we had a massive culture revolution or influx of a truly absurd amount of immigrants.
falconduler
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2018 9:16:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2018 3:05:43 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 7/7/2018 10:28:58 PM, falconduler wrote:
given the wide divide between the sexes . I predict that Sharia[law] in some form will become more and more popular and reasonable in the American culture. Few really understand Sharia and the good it can do for everyone.

I feel doubtful. Though I can't say I really know much about Sharia law. Still, America seems rather determined in my eyes to make the most of equality that they can.

We have women in the military and about everywhere else in society after all.

I doubt our stance would be changing anytime soon unless we had a massive culture revolution or influx of a truly absurd amount of immigrants.

I agree with that; what we need and what we get are two things different.
Leaning
Posts: 2,918
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2018 2:15:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/11/2018 9:16:18 PM, falconduler wrote:
I agree with that; what we need and what we get are two things different.

Hmm. So an example of law you feel America would need?

I noticed the gay pride rally one. Is that because you find homosexuality immoral? Or do you find conflict with the 'way' a gay pride rally might go about their rally?

Just looking for a clearer understanding. I have pretty much nil knowledge in Sharia law.
falconduler
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2018 8:00:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/12/2018 2:15:26 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 7/11/2018 9:16:18 PM, falconduler wrote:
I agree with that; what we need and what we get are two things different.

Hmm. So an example of law you feel America would need?

I noticed the gay pride rally one. Is that because you find homosexuality immoral? Or do you find conflict with the 'way' a gay pride rally might go about their rally?

Just looking for a clearer understanding. I have pretty much nil knowledge in Sharia law.

Sharia forms the basis in Islam, in terms of personal behavior. Keep in mind that Islam has little in the way for theology. The nature of god is settled. This frees the individual to concentrate on ones behavior in society. What essential part of Sharia is its emphasis on personal modesty. We need a law to keep women from exposing their meat! ..there's quite a lot to this and keep in mind ,I'm a Christian and no muslim.
Leaning
Posts: 2,918
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2018 12:15:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
All right. Would an example of what you are talking about be the swimsuit laws we once had?
https://www.thermnagency.com...

I don't know much about them, but vaguely recall seeing it mentioned here and there.

We do have other laws depending on the area of the country. No public nudity is a law in a number of places I would imagine.
keithprosser
Posts: 8,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2018 8:43:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/14/2018 12:15:27 AM, Leaning wrote:
All right. Would an example of what you are talking about be the swimsuit laws we once had?
https://www.thermnagency.com...

I don't know much about them, but vaguely recall seeing it mentioned here and there.

We do have other laws depending on the area of the country. No public nudity is a law in a number of places I would imagine.

Reading that article makes me think the real difference between Islamic culture and the west is "about 50 years". I think its very wrong to suppose the west has always been as enlightened towards women and gays etc. as it is in 2018 and we are innately better than - or even different from - them.
keithprosser
Posts: 8,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2018 9:07:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2018 8:53:17 AM, Leaning wrote:
True, many of our values have changed over time.

For the better if you are under 40, for the worse if you are an old fart!
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2018 2:30:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2018 8:43:08 AM, keithprosser wrote:
At 7/14/2018 12:15:27 AM, Leaning wrote:
All right. Would an example of what you are talking about be the swimsuit laws we once had?
https://www.thermnagency.com...

I don't know much about them, but vaguely recall seeing it mentioned here and there.

We do have other laws depending on the area of the country. No public nudity is a law in a number of places I would imagine.

Reading that article makes me think the real difference between Islamic culture and the west is "about 50 years". I think its very wrong to suppose the west has always been as enlightened towards women and gays etc. as it is in 2018 and we are innately better than - or even different from - them.

I mean, the West didn't engage in honor killings (except perhaps in parts of Italy) 50 years ago, or even 100 years ago. To my knowledge, the West has never practiced female genital mutilation in its recorded history. Even 200 years ago American women were probably more liberated than women in Saudi Arabia today. The last time that homosexuality carried the death penalty in any part of the United States was 1873, whereas such a penalty is still prescribed and carried out in many parts of the Muslim world today.
"They are 50 years behind us" is a wildly generous assessment.
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)
keithprosser
Posts: 8,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2018 2:48:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/16/2018 2:30:55 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
I mean, the West didn't engage in honor killings (except perhaps in parts of Italy) 50 years ago, or even 100 years ago. To my knowledge, the West has never practiced female genital mutilation in its recorded history. Even 200 years ago American women were probably more liberated than women in Saudi Arabia today. The last time that homosexuality carried the death penalty in any part of the United States was 1873, whereas such a penalty is still prescribed and carried out in many parts of the Muslim world today.
"They are 50 years behind us" is a wildly generous assessment.

I will concede 50 was generous, but we are talking very few generations. I beg a little rhetorical exaggeration becase it's not as if westerners and Muslims are different species!

Comparisons are subjective but on a point of fact FGM is not a Muslim thing. Where it exists it is a hold-over from traditions pre-dating conversion to Islam. For the same reason FGM is practiced by within many Christian communities in Africa - it is a tribal rather than a religious thing wehther FGM is practiced or not.
Leaning
Posts: 2,918
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2018 3:33:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/16/2018 2:30:55 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
To my knowledge, the West has never practiced female genital mutilation in its recorded history.

Would sex change operations count?
Swagnarok
Posts: 2,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2018 3:44:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/16/2018 3:33:07 AM, Leaning wrote:
At 7/16/2018 2:30:55 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
To my knowledge, the West has never practiced female genital mutilation in its recorded history.

Would sex change operations count?

Touche
Rest in Peace DDO (2007-2018)

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.