Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Masculinity: Something to be feared or fixed?

Iceflyer130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 3:02:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I hear in the news and from my more liberal leaning colleagues about feminist movements, and women's rights. Through almost every argument I hear the same phrase or at least a synonymous one. Toxic Masculinity.

What is Toxic Masculinity? Is it the mistreatment of women, the elevation of men, or the standard of being a man? I hear the definition change depending on the radical passion of those who speak against this "Toxic Masculinity".

For some, the term is quite fitting. A man who objectifies women through his language, or perhaps his physical language could be a practitioner of "Toxic Masculinity". A man who performs dangerous (stupid) acts to up his macho level (in actuality it just proves his stupidity), could be subject to "Toxic Masculinity".

So that sounds very horrible. In essence it makes men pigs. But some I have met go farther. They say that to be a man means you are already a toxic form of masculine. I apparently cannot hold to my code of being a man because it is toxic.

So what do you think "Toxic Masculinity" means?
Kevin_Fishcer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2018 5:32:10 AM
At 6/10/2018 3:02:16 AM, Iceflyer130 wrote:
I hear in the news and from my more liberal leaning colleagues about feminist movements, and women's rights. Through almost every argument I hear the same phrase or at least a synonymous one. Toxic Masculinity.

What is Toxic Masculinity? Is it the mistreatment of women, the elevation of men, or the standard of being a man? I hear the definition change depending on the radical passion of those who speak against this "Toxic Masculinity".

For some, the term is quite fitting. A man who objectifies women through his language, or perhaps his physical language could be a practitioner of "Toxic Masculinity". A man who performs dangerous (stupid) acts to up his macho level (in actuality it just proves his stupidity), could be subject to "Toxic Masculinity".

So that sounds very horrible. In essence it makes men pigs. But some I have met go farther. They say that to be a man means you are already a toxic form of masculine. I apparently cannot hold to my code of being a man because it is toxic.

Masculinity: fixed
*look at my dog*
"i'm sorry beethoven, she made me do it"

sorry It was just too perfect

to be frank, I would have to conclude those people that say being a man already make you toxic Masculine are probably toxic feminist, that hate men and half the time I expect there going the to brang about the Fourth Reich. which in my opinion is kind of hypocritical, what with preaching about equality and to judge by the character of a person, not what between the legs.

on a related note I want to point out a study that stupidape brought to my attention.
it appear that for some reason toxic feminst goal to brang about that ideal "nice guy"
is actually counter intiutive to evolution
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 12:51:15 AM

Its a buzz word designed to shut down opposition and relegate an entire gender to a few negative actions or qualities.

I have yet to see an instance of "toxic masculinity" that is specifically masculine, that is to say the opposite gender can't do the exact same thing.

IE, there is no such thing. Its crap people behaving in crap fashion. Admittedly, men behave in a certain crap fashion more publicly, but that doesn't mean its inherent to masculinity.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Fiasco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 1:12:54 AM
Real masculinity is great, same as real femininity (not to be mistaken for feminism!). I think a lot of people label things as "masculinity" that aren't. Healthy masculinity is very beneficial to everyone. I do think it has been attacked a lot in society recently, though. Very sad.

Funny thing is, people who typically complain about things like "toxic masculinity" often also say (more or less) "men are trash, women are great" - but then, they are sometimes the same ones who say, "gender is whatever you want it to be". So if I'm a man being criticized for being a man, then hey! I'll just say I'm a woman and everyone is happy, right? lol. :)
Athias
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2018 10:09:48 PM

"Toxic Masculinity" has no other meaning but to describe male hegemony, and by derivative the masculine principle, as a societal ill. Students of history would know that this is nothing new. The Victorians in the 19th century used similar narratives as it concerned abolitionism, women's suffrage, and funny enough, prohibition. The notion that the masculine principle is toxic is utterly ridiculous. If anything the late 20th century and our now, 21st century, would demonstrate that female hegemony is the societal ill.

As I've mentioned in other threads, females, even adult females, tend to have the psychological profile of children. And the reason being is that the brains of both women and children favor emotional activity. Many studies into the behavior of women generally conclude that their decision-making is based primarily on their emotion and intuition. Evolutionary psychologists have explained this as a defense mechanism allowing them to react to the most minute possibilities of danger. Of course, this mechanism has gone awry because women are in the political arena, and their fears can not only be manipulated but also cultivated. (Look it up, negative ads affect women than the do men.)

There's no such thing as "toxic masculinity." The masculine principle has been sent to scaffold, while femininity is exalted. It's a psychological projection rooted in Penis Envy.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.