Jump to topic:

Immortality organizations

Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 4:31:28 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I know there are foundations, Organizations, Cults, Scams, And individuals. But I rarely seem to hear of them. Is the problem that mainstream society does not feel a need for them? Or that they do not feel a need for mainstream society perhaps?
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 1:26:23 PM
"Or that they do not feel a need for mainstream society perhaps? "
Don't know but here are my guesses:
1. Exist but only for a select few.
2. Immortality is impossible so no one bothers to make an organisation about it.
3. Something else I can't think of.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 2:16:16 PM
I have heard of rich people now and then talk about how we're going to discover immortality by whatever date. Last one I heard about was some Russian billionaire. I have heard of cryogenic companies now and then, But usually as fringe groups or I think for failing to keep their promise to safeguard their customers frozen brains.

I do think that most people consider the concept impossible.

In any case, Even with the groups I hear about now and then there is still none I know of to be well known. And by well known I mean if I said their name people would recognize the name. Google, Most people know what I am talking about I'd think. Bill Gates, Or the NRA.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 2:19:08 PM
"Most people know what I am talking about I'd think. Bill Gates, Or the NRA. "
Might be a shadow organisation.

I don't think it is possible now but is really likely being tested upon.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 2:41:01 PM
Could be shadow organizations. But I would not run such an organization that way. Probably.

Eh, One could simply focus scientific research upon curing aging in rats. Then use those results upon humans. I'm not saying all the people in the organization would go about popping lead flavored immortality pills.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 2:43:15 PM
"But I would not run such an organization that way. Probably. "
But you are not a wealthy person who wants to be the first immortal person and only wants it for him/herself.

"Eh, One could simply focus scientific research upon curing aging in rats. "
Yes but highly likely it would be a really high priced product instead of being free to everyone.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 2:58:35 PM
The first step in how I might gain immortality is to be wealthy yes. But even then, It is useful to build a 'public organization based around immortality research. Research would be quicker with thousands of public scientists and labs rather than simple a hundred of my own. And even if someone discovered it before me, It is fine to buy it.

I do not think we have discovered immortality yet.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:02:23 PM
"public organization based around immortality research. "
The thing is public businesses do have to make their finding public. A private shadow organisation does not. Which is why a rich person who only wants immortality to himself would not set it up publicly if he/she knew what he/she was doing
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:24:30 PM
"Why would research proceed faster if only one person was researching it? "
Why would he allow his research open to the public if he wants to be immortal?
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:24:31 PM
"Why would research proceed faster if only one person was researching it? "
Why would he allow his research open to the public if he wants to be immortal?
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:30:36 PM
Yes but now his/her findings it out to the public and he/she is not special any more. Rich people buy things to stand out. What rich person would want to be immortal and give it to everyone else? It loses value and the person can't brag about it to his/her rich friends.
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:34:52 PM
The purpose of finding immortality is to be immortal. Not to be cooler than everyone else.

If we lived in a time before we could heat our houses and the rich person was cold and wanted to be warm as soon as possible. He would be warmer quicker if he shared his advancements in heat technology with other people and they all worked together to find a way to heat houses. Why should he care if other people are warm? He cares about himself being warm. And the quickest way for him to be warm is to work together with other people in finding a way to be warm.
omar2345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:39:32 PM
"The purpose of finding immortality is to be immortal. Not to be cooler than everyone else. "
Lets say with immortality he wants to rule the world or something selfish. If he makes findings public he has allowed others to be immortal thus reducing what he do for himself.

Yes working together is more quicker but they would also get what you want and why would a rich person who wants to show off want to give resources to other people?
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2018 3:46:52 PM
Then that is a goal other than immortality.

Sure it could be something like the conspiracy theory people talk about people having discovered cures for certain diseases. But I think a rich person would be rather willing to make such research towards finding a cure public, If he had such a disease.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.