Jump to topic:

Cultural appropriation

ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2018 7:39:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A white man from USA is wearing dreadlocks and a Dashiki. Is this an example of cultural appropriation?
A Black man from the USA is wearing dreadlocks and a Dashiki. Is this an example of cultural appropriation?
Why or why not?
thedreadpirateroberts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2018 2:43:49 PM
At 6/23/2018 7:39:09 PM, ken1122 wrote:
A white man from USA is wearing dreadlocks and a Dashiki. Is this an example of cultural appropriation?
A Black man from the USA is wearing dreadlocks and a Dashiki. Is this an example of cultural appropriation?
Why or why not?

how are you defining cultural appropriation?
if a Mexican sells tacos and sombreros is that cultural appropriation? What if that person is genetically Mexican but in every other way plain ole American? Does that make a difference?
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2018 10:17:58 PM
At 6/25/2018 2:43:49 PM, thedreadpirateroberts wrote:
Why or why not?

if a Mexican sells tacos and sombreros is that cultural appropriation? What if that person is genetically Mexican but in every other way plain ole American? Does that make a difference?

I am not defining the term, the OP is about how YOU define it.
thedreadpirateroberts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2018 12:11:52 PM
At 6/30/2018 10:17:58 PM, ken1122 wrote:
At 6/25/2018 2:43:49 PM, thedreadpirateroberts wrote:
Why or why not?

I am not defining the term, the OP is about how YOU define it.

ah ok, it's a meaningless term imo so, sorry can't add anything to the conversation
Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2018 2:36:35 AM
Why or why not?

I had to look up Dashiki to know what it is, huh so that's what that shirt is called. Anyway, I think I shall say yes to both. Kind of 'appropriated' rather than appropriating though it feels like to me. And that's not a bad thing really. I would imagine most of culture is appropriated, we've just forgotten it.

The race thing doesn't matter all that much to me. British and French people for example look alike to me for the most part and I wouldn't notice if they had switched clothing. Besides we're talking culture not race right?

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.