Jump to topic:

NFL Draft Day 2017

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2017 8:42:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Today's the day, folks. Even though there has literally been no discussion here about the draft for over a week, I'm gonna make this thread. In case anyone else wants to discuss it.

Otherwise, I'll be on a different forum with people who actually care about sports. Lol.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 6:08:03 PM
I am a Buccaneers fan and am very happy with our picks so far.

As a Chicagoland resident I'm interested in how Trubinsky shakes out at Soldier Field. I think he'll be their franchise QB in a few years, but they'll need to be willing to give him some time to develop.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:10:57 PM
At 4/28/2017 6:08:03 PM, warren42 wrote:

OJ Howard is a solid addition. I like the way your offense is taking shape. Now, draft Cook in R2, or Kamara if Cook is already gone.

As a Chicagoland resident I'm interested in how Trubinsky shakes out at Soldier Field. I think he'll be their franchise QB in a few years, but they'll need to be willing to give him some time to develop.

That was the single-worst R1 pick of this draft. What will they do with Glennon? They paid the man, and he's not the veteran you want to develop a young QB like Trubisky (especially given how few starts they've BOTH had). Awful reach, especially giving up what they did and drafting a non-essential position.

I think a lot of teams reached for QBs -- and this is the first time in a long while that 3 teams have traded up for QBs -- but the Trubisky case is much different. The Chiefs have a solid, tested veteran in Alex Smith. They also have coaches who have successfully tamed gunslingers like Favre and McNabb. Drafting Mahomes isn't that much of a reach, just a developmental pick. In fact, a great pick given the circumstances and Mahomes' ceiling. Watson has proved that he's clutch. He might not be the BEST QB, but he certainly has the experience. I think it's more of a reach than Mahomes given the circumstances and that he'll be expected to start day 1, but it's still sensible. They need a QB desperately, so they drafted one. On the other hand, Trubisky is, in a lot of ways, unproven, and drafted by another QB who is, by NFL starting standards, also unproven. Not an ideal situation.

As far as Trubisky's success itself, I think he's got a chance. He looked good in the few (13) starts he's had. He could become very good in a few years, and thankfully he's got a nice running game in Chicago to relieve some pressure that's often placed on rookie starting QBs. However, all things considered, it was a ridiculous reach for the Bears.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:15:56 PM
The Niners really took it away with this draft. They played the Bears like nobody's business, secured their D-line, and picked up a top 5 prospect at 31 while adding some extra ammunition in picks along the way. Couldn't really ask for a better R1 for the Niners. Props to John Lynch. He really WAS ready for this one.

I'm a Chiefs fan, and I still have a hard time thinking about how we passed up Lattimore, Allen, and Foster at 10... but long-term, this was probably the best option. Dorsey and Reid are perfect for developing Mahomes into a great starter, and Alex Smith is an incredible complement (because of how different him and Mahomes are) to teach Mahomes the carefulness he lacks.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:28:25 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:10:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

OJ Howard is a solid addition. I like the way your offense is taking shape. Now, draft Cook in R2, or Kamara if Cook is already gone.

That'd be a hell of an offense. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate Winston and I doubted him through his first year, but he may be our saving grace.

That was the single-worst R1 pick of this draft. What will they do with Glennon? They paid the man, and he's not the veteran you want to develop a young QB like Trubisky (especially given how few starts they've BOTH had). Awful reach, especially giving up what they did and drafting a non-essential position.

Wow, I completely forgot they got Glennon. Damn. That changes everything. Glennon was the transition guy that'd buy them a few years until they find the perfect fit. Glennon is a good QB, but like you said he isn't good enough to be the one to mentor Trubinsky, but he's too good to be sitting on the bench and soaking up that much money.

As far as Trubisky's success itself, I think he's got a chance. He looked good in the few (13) starts he's had. He could become very good in a few years, and thankfully he's got a nice running game in Chicago to relieve some pressure that's often placed on rookie starting QBs. However, all things considered, it was a ridiculous reach for the Bears.

I can't believe I forgot about Glennon. Yeah, I agree. Had they not had Glennon this was a great pick but now that you reminded me of that it was awful.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:30:34 PM
Assuming the Muscle Hamster stays in Tampa, does the NFC South undeniably have the best group of RBs in the league? I can't think of another group as good as Freeman, Martin, McCaffrey/Stewart, and AP.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:33:16 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:30:34 PM, warren42 wrote:
Assuming the Muscle Hamster stays in Tampa, does the NFC South undeniably have the best group of RBs in the league? I can't think of another group as good as Freeman, Martin, McCaffrey/Stewart, and AP.

First of all, he's no longer Muscle Hamster. I was a big fan, but he's just not anymore.
You better hope you can snag Mixon or Cook. Otherwise, I think I agree. Even Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman are really good. Hopefully AP has another good season left.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:40:03 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:33:16 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

First of all, he's no longer Muscle Hamster. I was a big fan, but he's just not anymore.
You better hope you can snag Mixon or Cook. Otherwise, I think I agree. Even Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman are really good. Hopefully AP has another good season left.

As of 2015 he was still tearing it up. Not sure how he'll do this year. I'd like a solid RB just to shore things up, but I'm optimistic. Otherwise, a talented rookie, Jacquizz Rodgers and Charles Sims can put in enough work among the three of them to keep the Bucs on track to being legitimate contenders.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:40:32 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:28:25 PM, warren42 wrote:
At 4/28/2017 10:10:57 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

That'd be a of an offense. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate Winston and I doubted him through his first year, but he may be our saving grace.

Yeah, it'll be good. DeSean Jackson was a great pickup.

Wow, I completely forgot they got Glennon. That changes everything.

It really does.

Glennon was the transition guy that'd buy them a few years until they find the perfect fit. Glennon is a good QB, but like you said he isn't good enough to be the one to mentor Trubinsky, but he's too good to be sitting on the bench and soaking up that much money.

Yeah. He's not played enough NFL ball to be teaching a guy the ropes... ESPECIALLY one whose biggest downfall is how little experience he has.

I can't believe I forgot about Glennon. Yeah, I agree. Had they not had Glennon this was a great pick but now that you reminded me of that it was awful.

Yep. It's an utterly confusing pick. Because now, they have two QBs who are likely good, but no clear direction. We'll see. Bears rebuild will take awhile. Should have taken Adams while he was there.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:41:37 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:40:03 PM, warren42 wrote:
At 4/28/2017 10:33:16 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

As of 2015 he was still tearing it up. Not sure how he'll do this year. I'd like a solid RB just to shore things up, but I'm optimistic. Otherwise, a talented rookie, Jacquizz Rodgers and Charles Sims can put in enough work among the three of them to keep the Bucs on track to being legitimate contenders.

I don't trust it, though. What even happened with him and Alfred Morris? It's sad. Too much injury concern to put your confidence in Martin pulling the weight, though.
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:47:02 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:41:37 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
I don't trust it, though. What even happened with him and Alfred Morris?

I literally had to look up Alfred Morris because I had no idea what had happened to him after his first couple years.

It's sad. Too much injury concern to put your confidence in Martin pulling the weight, though.

True. How confident are you in the Chiefs doing well again?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2017 10:51:30 PM
At 4/28/2017 10:47:02 PM, warren42 wrote:
At 4/28/2017 10:41:37 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
I don't trust it, though. What even happened with him and Alfred Morris?

I literally had to look up Alfred Morris because I had no idea what had happened to him after his first couple years.

Lol, I know. Idk what happened, really. Really sad... Skins had two explosive guys (RG3 and Morris) and now they're both no-names essentially.

It's sad. Too much injury concern to put your confidence in Martin pulling the weight, though.

True. How confident are you in the Chiefs doing well again?

Very confident. Division should be tougher, but I think we've got the pieces right. Drafting Mahomes means we're looking to the future, which I think is good. Best case scenario is that we trade up to get Mixon in R2. Arguably the best RB in the class, and I think we could trade up enough to get him. Then, we could address DT in R3 or something, let the young CBs develop, and pick up Gerald Hodges (ILB) after the draft. I'm excited to see what Hill and Jones will do in year 2... The biggest thing, though, is that we haven't had any significant losses. We lost Poe, but (imho) upgraded with Bennie Logan. We needed to be better at rush defense, and that's what Logan brings to the table.
Anonymous
4/29/2017 5:38:54 PM
Packers took a CB and S with the first two picks. We lost a couple solid CBs this year, but it would appear we have upgraded. Our secondary now includes 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders, with a couple solid journeymen for support. I think the packers are quietly building the second-coming of the legion of boom...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2017 10:05:28 PM
At 4/29/2017 5:38:54 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Packers took a CB and S with the first two picks. We lost a couple solid CBs this year, but it would appear we have upgraded. Our secondary now includes 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders, with a couple solid journeymen for support. I think the packers are quietly building the second-coming of the legion of boom...

I love Kevin King. Great pick, I think. Even were able to trade out of R1 to get him. If the Packers defense can improve some on the back end and get a legitimate, productive running back, they'll be back in contention for the SB.

Personally, I was thinking they should have picked up Mixon in R1 or R2.
rsz42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2017 6:48:40 PM
As a dedicated Chiefs fan myself, I was nervous at first about selecting Pat Mahomes. I knew he could put a deep ball down there, but it seems like he plays with too much confidence if you ask me.
I know Reid will get that under control though. He's done it with McNabb, as well as Dorsey with Favre.
I sense something good from Mahomes in the next couple years in Kansas City.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.