Jump to topic:

Episode 2 - The Depths

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 2:22:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Episode 1 - The Shot: http://www.debate.org...

Airmax swiveled in his chair after the call. One of the transport ships had been shot? Shooting were so rare now, he could hardly believe it. Of course, the Jupiter colonies were drifting away. They were increasing the number of police officers on Ganymede, and some of the other large moon colonies were acting out.

But they didn't have ships. Unless they stole an Enforcer, but even then, those could be tracked easily. Airmax looked through his sun roof at the red colors covering the evening sky on Earth. Out there was so much more space than any person could imagine. Even with modern technology, going to Mars took a couple weeks. The planets weren't as close together as the little models of the solar system suggested.

"Well, Mr. President, what should we do?" Vice President TUF asked. "Should we hold a press conference?"

"No," Airmax raised his hand, "No one will hear about this for at least a week. We need to launch our own investigations to see if we can uncover anything. We have to work together with Mars or this won't work out."

"I suggest increasing the number of Enforcers monitoring between here and Mars."

"We can do that, but they have to keep quiet. We don't want to cause a public concern. The last thing we need is a state of panic." Airmax stood up and walked to the window overlooking the city. So many people down there, and to think this planet used to have billions. Now it was more like millions. Humans had stretched themselves thin in the name of survival.

A last ditch effort to save earth by expelling half the population throughout the solar system. Brilliant if not a bit foolish. But then what choice did they have? None really. When the population dwindled below 1 billion, they knew the only way to save earth was to leave it. Now Airmax had the tedious job of protecting its population, and Mikal had the tedious job of terraforming Mars.

They were fortunate that the plant life on Mars was booming so well. Within the next decade, the atmosphere could have enough oxygen to allow humans to leave the domes. The Martian population might even stabilize enough to make it the next home for humans.

Imagine growing a new planet for yourself. Airmax tapped the magnetic pen tipping over his magnetic pyramid. It spun around gracefully on that single point. Then he touched one side and it toppled over. It fell to the ground and clacked around for a second before coming to a rest. "Such a small problem can set everything off balance. Just enough to bring everything crashing down." Airmax stared at the pen a bit longer then looked at TUF. "Keep this as private as possible. Don't tell anyone why we're doing anything. Just help me do what needs to be done."

TUF nodded with a smile and responded, "Of course, sir. What am I here for?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The passengers continued banging on the door to the cockpit. Finally, YYW got up and walked to the door. He opened it and looked all his passengers in the face. He noted their expressions and one of them, Voice of Truth if he remembered right, spoke up first, "Are you going to tell us what's going on or not?"

YYW rubbed the bridge of his nose then held up his hand. "Okay, can we first agree that panic and wasting oxygen is the worst thing we can do?"

Miss Bailey immediately started waving at her face, "I knew it," she kept saying under her breath.

"We believe that someone shot at us," YYW said to them.

Hayd raised a flask and took a drink from it. "So what you"re saying is, someone shot at us just for fun?"

"We don't really know why. We're doing our best to try, but we're going to get you all to Mars at least. We've already spoken with President Mikal."

"President Mikal?" Peters interjected. "His campaign for office was a joke. He has no idea what he's doing there. Neither does that idiot Imabench."

"I personally trust them. Your personal opinions on the matter are yours to keep, but the point is, we need to keep it together. We're already working on making ourselves as invisible as possible. We'll dock at Mars's greenhouse station and let you off there."

"How do you make a ship invisible without cloaking technology?" Hayd laughed.

YYW shook his head, "I doubt you'd get it sober to be quite honest. I'm not going to explain it to you drunk."

"He's just turning off communications equipment," Voice spoke up again. "I'm one of the police captains from Earth. We do that with the Enforcers if we want to hide somewhere. It's especially effective with a ship this small."

"I do have my satellite phone though, just in case President Mikal calls me with anything. Are we done here?" Miss Bailey raised her hand. YYW was about to tell her it wasn't necessary, but he decided it was better than the opposite reaction.

He acknowledged her, and she spoke, "So does that mean I can't video call my dog back on earth?"

YYW nodded and replied, "Yes."

Miss Bailey pouted but didn't say anything else. She was from the last royal family on earth. It's not a wonder she would behave that way. He was just glad he had some people on this ship who was a little more grounded than Mike Cuber, the entertainer; Hayd, the drunk son of the second richest man alive; and The Girl with No Identity, the author just looking for what she could find.

He could already tell he was going to like Voice and Peters better. One was a police captain being transferred to the Martian police force, and the other was a self-made business woman who, you may say, had worked her balls off - if she had any - to get to where she was now. Though he may disagree with her political opinions, he believed she would turn out to be more reasonable than her opinions led on.

Hayd started the walk away, and passengers slowly turned away to their quarters. At least they had the decency to go cry themselves to sleep or whatever they intended to do. Voice stepped toward YYW and said, "If there's anything I can help you with, you know where I room." He was the last to return to his room.

YYW shut the door and walked back to his seat. "They took it better than I expected," 7th Professor joked. "I was honestly questioning whether or not we were going to die."

"I was taken off guard by that too," YYW responded absently. "Solon, have you found anything new?"

"The weapons used on us were produced from materials mined on Jupiter's moons. Those colonies don't produce their own weaponry, but Mars is the first receiver of those goods. Earth still has enough recycled resources to support itself."

"So it was definitely Martian?"

"See, that's what I've been considering, and before I think about that, I'm considering a range of other questions. The foremost of the questions is: what if they knew we were still alive?" YYW sat up a little straighter. He looked directly at Solon with a look that begged him to go on. "What I mean is that I didn't turn off the deflectors with everything else. It's like if you were to shut off all but one light then suddenly remember to shut off the last. You wouldn't assume the power went out, you'd assume someone missed a breaker while trying to shut down the power."

"So you're saying they knew we were alive and just left us?"

"Their scanners were running on us."

"What's your justification? I mean, it doesn't seem reasonable."

"I know this is a lot of 'what ifs', but what if they just wanted to point a finger at someone?"

YYW considered it for a second. What would someone have to gain by pointing a finger at Mars? Or would they assume the crew would assume that and blame Earth? It was a peculiar attack, and Solon's analysis made sense. They may have known. Now that Solon sounded so confident, it seemed as if it was definitely true. Someone shot at them and made sure it looked like Mars did it.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Check out the latest episode of Nautilus:
http://www.debate.org...

It's a great series... some say

If you want to see the trailer for my movie, go here:

"This is all just propaganda," Airmax

"Oops wrong account," UtherPenguin
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 2:24:45 PM
However, they did fly toward Earth. Maybe they didn't even consider their weapons, and they wanted it to look like Earth did it. A Martian ship, after all, would be ill equipped to frame Earth without the terran materials. That may not, however, stop an incompetent terrorist from attempting it.

There was only one thing to conclude. The attack was political, and it was intended to frame someone. Maybe even destabilize the relationship between Mars and Earth. Such a small thing. Just two shots, and here YYW was thinking about the fate of the union.

"If I could put in my two cents," 7th professor said, "I think it was a ship from earth. Q was running broad band scanners. Unfortunately, not small enough to catch the things he should've been looking for, but it would've caught a space ship coming at us. I think it came from behind."

"Space is a big place, professor. We can't say with certainty that we would've picked it up. They could've attacked from above."

"Could they have found us if they were that far above our scanners in that case? It doesn't seem reasonable."

"Remember, we're a small ship. The smallest manned space ship allowed outside Earth's exosphere. Other people just have bigger equipment. Just keep on course. We don't have to worry about another attack until we make it to Mars. No one will find us."
Mikal stepped onto his balcony. "You think they're going to find out?" Bench asked.

"I don't know," Mikal responded. He watched as the city grew a little calmer. Law enforcement was working on finding all the pilots and putting up those with a criminal record first.

"We should've just told Airmax..."

Mikal shook his head violently, "Airmax would've freaked out. We have our reasons for keeping it to ourselves, and they're damn good ones too."

"You know that I'm all for breaking the rules, but this takes it a step too far into the deep end, don't you think?"

"It's what's necessary, Bench. That's what our responsibility is as politicians remember? Our job is to do what's necessary."
"But you didn't kill them right?"

"No, they were obviously playing dead."

"Good, now we wait."

"Wait for what?"

"The right moment to push again."
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 2:30:38 PM
I wanted to push this out today, because I'm going to focus on other things this week. Likely won't be another episode until Monday sometime, but for the weekend, everyone who signed up will have time to get caught up on this. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's support on this! It's good to be writing for DDO again. I hope you all enjoy this episode!

I will still be on DDO, just to be clear. I just don't have time to write the story. I have a debate going on that most people probably don't care about, but that'll be part of my focus, aside from a multitude of full length business plans I have to write due these next couple weeks. So yeah. Fortunately, after the first week of May, I'm a graduate.

Have a good day everyone!
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 3:50:33 PM
At 4/14/2017 2:22:47 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
"I personally trust them. Your personal opinions on the matter are yours to keep, but the point is, we need to keep it together. We're already working on making ourselves as invisible as possible. We'll dock at Mars's greenhouse station and let you off there."

This doesn't sound like YYW ;)
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 4:16:33 PM
At 4/14/2017 3:50:33 PM, warren42 wrote:
At 4/14/2017 2:22:47 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

This doesn't sound like YYW ;)

https://img.pandawhale.com...
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2017 10:22:01 PM
I love these
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2017 12:58:52 AM
8.5/10. Very well done

Would give 10/10 if there were cringey sex scenes.
"Hate begets hate"
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2017 2:34:51 AM
At 4/15/2017 12:58:52 AM, Axonly wrote:
8.5/10. Very well done

Would give 10/10 if there were cringey sex scenes.

Thanks, I may actually see how close I can get to that before violating the TOS because the genre warrants it.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.