Jump to topic:

Nautilus - Episode 6: The Prison

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2017 11:05:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Episode 5 " The Cracks: http://www.debate.org...

"Of all the incompetent things," Airmax stormed around the room as he and TUF watched the news.

The news anchor, bsh1, continued talking, "Martian officials are saying the attack came from a rogue Terran Enforcer. Some people in the public are wondering what this means about the Terran security force and whether or not it may need review. One of those concerned citizens is here with us live, Sui Generis."

"Why would he do that?" Airmax yelled again. "Does he realize the kind of damage this is going to do? He just made every citizen of earth doubt the safety of the place they live in."

TUF talked over the tv and said, "Of course not! That's why we shouldn't have let him in to office. Now we need to explain that the criminal originally came in a Martian Enforcer. Then we can at least have unity."

"And what, make every feel even more unsafe? Mars is already delicate. You're always right about their leadership. They"re incompetent. But that"s honestly humanity's next hope, and there's still 3 years until another election."

"Wait a second, you're saying that we should accept the blame for the sake of less competent leaders in order to give people some feeling of security?"

"Yes," Airmax tilted his head and weighed his words, "For now. Do you remember being a normal citizen? What did it look like when politicians bickered over whose fault it was?"

TUF shook his head and said, "Back then we were still a hopeful people. Things are different now."

"No, but is this all bad for earth? I mean, sure a Terran Enforcer was hijacked. We just explain the situation as best we can."

"Yes, exactly! By saying an a**hole shot down our men with a Martian Enforcer then hopped in a Terran Enforcer! Doesn't it even bother you that the guy came to earth just to get one of our Enforcers when he already had his own?"

"It did, but he was most likely just trying to refuel. If he's not Martian PS, then he doesn't have the right card to get gas at a Greenhouse. So he stole one of our Enforcers to get more fuel."

TUF raised a finger and said, "Okay, back to the point: what the hell are we going to tell the public?"

Airmax tilted his head the other way and started talking, "We're going to tell him that we went on a research expedition in the badlands to study the soil. We took an Enforcer because we have reason to believe there's criminal operation out there. While we were studying the soil, we were attacked, and by the time we could notify the Enforcers in space, the militant was gone, and he went incognito to until Mars."

"You're too good at coming up with stories, Max."

"How do you think I got elected President?"

TUF shook his head again and asked, "Are you sure that's the best move? Reassure the public we know what's going on, and we're doing everything we can about it without pointing fingers."

"Exactly," Airmax responded.

TUF sighed. "Okay. We'll try it your way. I hope you're right about this."

"I'm sure I am. And don't think I'm not still calling Mikal. I need to let him know exactly how much he f*cked up."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"So they sent us up to the Greenhouse to get shot at?" Seventh leaned back in his seat as Q piloted the Nautilus back to the surface.

"Yeah, it took something like that for Mikal to take the hint!" YYW raged. "We couldn't be sensible and protect the lives of my passengers. We had to be all political and force people to stay in a big target until the issue was resolved."

Solon turned from his station and said, "At least they're letting us down to the surface now. Maybe we can move on with our lives."

"Yeah, like someone's going to want to stay on the Nautilus after its passengers have been shot at twice."

"Hey, where are they leading us?" Q asked.

YYW looked through the front window and saw the building the Martian Enforcer was headed for. It was an embassy. Why were they going there? "Solon, can you call the Enforcer and ask why they're taking us to the embassy? We need to be going to the spaceport."

"Calling them," Solon responded. After a few moments, Solon said, "They're not taking our call."

"Call again."

Solon pressed the button, and they listened. Then the call was declined. "They just b*tch buttoned me."

"Are you kidding me?" YYW exclaimed.

"They're treating you the same way you treated them?" Seventh said with a coy smile.

"I don't pay you to give me opinions, Seventh," YYW snapped back. Seventh just raised his hands and swiveled in his seat.

"I'm in the docking beam now," Q interrupted. "The ship is out of my control."

YYW slumped angrily in his chair and waited. The ship slowly hovered through the air until it came to a stop in one of the garages. Q lowered the landing gears, and the Nautilus came down gracefully. If nothing else was reliable, at least his ship was. YYW got up and stormed to the door. He threw it open and hopped out onto the ground. He raised his voice, "Is anyone going to tell me why I've been led to the embassy and not to the space port?"

"It's to keep you safe," one of the public safety officers said, getting out of his Enforcer. "You have been shot at twice. We're not going to let you and your passengers wander around like big open targets again until we can guarantee this guy is off of you."

"I can't believe this is what's happening. I thought we were finally moving on with our lives. Do you realize how long we've been kept from normalcy?" YYW paused. The public safety officer said nothing. Another moment of silence then, "A month!"

"Please, you were only in the Greenhouse for a little more than two weeks," the man responded.

"Yeah, but I had to abandon a normal flight long before then to move stealthily from Earth to Mars. Because when I have problems I move forward and do something about it! As opposed to what we're doing right now."

"Listen man, we can sit here arguing back and forth all day, but even if I did let you go, I'd just get fired, and you'd have a brand new guy telling you and your passengers to get you're a**es to the living quarters before we start having problems down here."

"We already have problems." YYW stomped back to the ship. He hopped in and said, "Alright, pack your stuff. They're going to keep us prisoner here for a while. Probably until we all hit retirement age."

The crew got up silently and started moving about to collect their things. Most of their stuff was already in the cockpit of the ship. There was only one crew bedroom, and it was pretty cramped. They spent most of their time in the cockpit because it could at least fit them all comfortably.

YYW turned and opened the doors to the passengers' quarters. He started knocking on doors and yelling, "Alright everyone, come get your fresh, hot, state-mandated living quarters! All yours for God knows how long!"

Hayd wobbled out of his room and asked, "What's the meaning of this? I'm already late for everything I came here to do."

"Well then I guess you don't have anything else to be doing here then, do you?" YYW kept knocking on doors and announcing - with as much disappointment as possible - that everyone was going to be staying here for a while.

Eventually everyone filed out of their rooms and made their way into the Embassy. The PS officer, Raisor, led them to their living quarters. YYW noticed Solon talking to Miss Bailey, the girl whom he'd saved. Maybe she would tell her dad, and they would get a nice bonus for putting up with all this bullsh*t and trying to protect people's lives.

YYW stepped into his personal living quarters. The ceiling was a bit higher than it was on the Nautilus. And there was an empty space in the floor between the bed and the couch. It was all very new. YYW hadn't slept anywhere but the Nautilus for the past 3 years.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Check out the latest episode of Nautilus:
http://www.debate.org...

It's a great series... some say

If you want to see the trailer for my movie, go here:

"This is all just propaganda," Airmax

"Oops wrong account," UtherPenguin
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2017 11:09:45 PM
Before closing the door, Raisor said, "There's a recreational area in this building, but I'm sure you're very tired from yelling at me and such. There's maps around the building in case you get lost. Try to enjoy yourself. We're all stuck here for a while."
Mikal crumpled up the paper in his hands and threw it in the trash recycling bin in the corner of the room. "We need better ideas," Mikal said to Bench and Senator Wylted. "I just don't feel like this all makes sense."

"The second attack was to show that Mars is a safe place," Wylted responded. "That's why we're harboring them in our embassy."

"But it was an attack on a Martian Greenhouse."

"And no one died."

Mikal sat up in his chair and replied, "Yeah, but that wasn't the plan, unless I heard you wrong. My point is that we're not thinking this through well enough."

"Mikal has a point," Bench added. "The point is to make Mars the home for humans. Everyone knows earth is a lost cause unless humans leave it for a few hundred years."

Wylted held out his hands and said, "You're overreacting a bit. Have you watched the news? The general populace is dumb as hell. They're going to eat whatever we feed them, because we're the politicians protecting the innocent civilians from the biggest terrorist attack since Perussi set off an EMP in New Boston. The people love us, and they're doubting Airmax." Wylted pointed outside the window and said, "In three weeks, the air outside will be breathable. We can dismantle the domes and open up Mars to the human race."

"So what's our next move then, huh?" Mikal asked.

"Like I said earlier, there's only one thing left before everyone comes to Mars."
Mike stood in the dimly lit hallway. He turned the cube over in his hands and looked around. This wasn't home. If anything, the Nautilus had sort of become his home. It was just a passenger ship, but he couldn't remember staying in one place longer since he began his career as an entertainer. He scratched at his beard a little then glanced up when a door opened.

Hayd walked out of the room, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "God it's bright out here," he said.

"I'm pretty sure this is the dimmest the lights get," Mike replied. "I guess it's different if you have a hangover though."

"Yeah, normally my fix is a bloody mary or something, but I'm out of alcohol. You don't happen to have any do you?"

Mike shook his head, "No I rarely have alcohol."

Hayd moaned something like the cry of the dead and slammed his back against the wall. "How much longer do you think this is going to be?"

"I don't have a freaking clue. I've missed like 4 shows already, and there's another one happening tomorrow night."

"I wonder if we could get out of here."

Mike shook his head and replied, "No definitely not a good idea. I mean, where are you going to go if you do get out of here?"

"Well, I'm going to head over to the nearest bar and get rid of this damn hangover."

"How about you drink some water. A hangover is just dehydration. Alcohol takes the edge off, but it won't solve your problem."

Hayd threw up his hand and said, "You're no fun. I already drank water, and it didn't work."

"Yeah, I mean, it's gonna take a little while. You've been drinking non-stop since we got on the Nautilus."

"Yeah, there's nothing fun to do, but alcohol makes everything seem more fun. So guess what I do."

"You should try socializing with people."

Hayd chuckled then replied, "That's all I do in my professional life," he finished with air quotes. "When I get on my vacation time, I like to recede into a hole and pretend the galaxy stopped spinning for a few weeks." Mike just nodded his head and started turning the cube over in his hands. "So how does that thing work anyway?"

Mike smiled and lifted it up. "There's a set of algorithms you get used to. After you've done it for a while, you can just see all the pieces moving to their spot as you're flipping everything around. It's simple really, but no one knows how to do this anymore, so I make money off of including this in my shows."

Hayd just nodded his head then looked down the hall. Just as he did, a door opened. Mike turned to look too. YYW? YYW walked out of his room and said, "Good evening, how's everyone doing?"

"Terrible," Hayd replied frankly.

"What are you doing up at 3 in the morning?" Mike asked.

"Figured I didn't need to be asleep to experience nightmares so I got up for a stroll," YYW smiled a bit too fakely.

Mike smiled and said, "If you're getting on the Nautilus, you're taking us with you." YYW stopped. So he was going to the Nautilus. The second-in-command stumbled out of his room, confirming the theory. "None of us want to be here. Honestly, the Nautilus is sort of like home right now, and if you're planning to run away with it, we want to go with you."

"Please, I doubt everyone wants to break the law and get out of here," YYW responded.

TheGirl popped her head out of her room and said, "I heard the words break the law and get out of here. When are we going?"

"You've got to be kidding me."

"What's everyone yelling about out here?" Voice of Truth said coming out of his room as well. "Are we leaving?"

"No, you're public safety, I can't tell you what we're doing."

"Dude, I'm more concerned with why we're being attacked and held captive than I am with how we're getting out of here."

"Ship is prepped," Seventh said as he walked around the corner.

Peters walked into the hall with a duffle bag over her shoulder. She exchanged awkward glances with the lot and said, "Well, I had a dream we were leaving, and woke up to find out it was a real conversation. Why are these walls so thin?"

YYW held up his hands and said, "Listen everybody, I would love to take you with me, but I can't implicate all of you in a crime. I mean, Mikal is already pissed as hell at me. If I get caught roaming around, I'll probably be sent to jail, and you can all kiss your public image goodbye."

Miss Bailey made back for her room and said, "I'm getting my stuff. Freedom is all I want right now."

Everyone started mumbling their agreement, and made their way back to their rooms to pack up. Mike looked at Hayd and said, "Well, you ready to get out of here?"

"Let me go get a drink of water," Hayd responded with a smile.
Airmax got out of his chair and looked out the window. Protesters. Why were they protesting? What did they hope to gain? They'd already released the story, Airmax had already apologized formally and privately to the families, and aside from the attacks, earth was looking better than it had in a long time. But a few people got shot at, and now the entire planet is erupting into anger.

"I have some slingshots and tear gas grenades whenever you want one," TUF joked.

Airmax chuckled with a hint of a smile before replying, "I would hope it doesn't come to that."

"Ah you're no fun." TUF slapped Airmax on the shoulder and continued, "You know I have to lighten up the mood somehow. Everything is just so tense. I may not have been cut out for politics. Playing chess with planets just stresses me out."

"Oh it stresses me out too," Airmax said, his smile disappearing. "I just tend to hide it and pretend I know what I'm doing until things work themselves out. 90% of the time that's how it works out."

"What about the other 10%?"

"That 10% can go f*ck itself. And so can this attitude out here. People are starting to suggest we should move all Terrans to Mars."

"I think they'll change their minds when they find out that we have more water here."

"Maybe they'll be deterred when they go home and see how much sh*t they have to pack," Airmax laughed.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2017 11:11:12 PM
TUF opened his mouth to speak, but it was overpowered by a boom. The floor raised a little behind TUF, and TUF stumbled forward. When the floor peaked, it started collapsing in, and it fell all the way through. Airmax grabbed TUF and moved backwards as quickly as he could. The hole in the floor formed a few feet away from them.

Airmax got up and tried to pop his ears. He couldn't hear anything.

And the heat.

The building was on fire.

"We have to go now!" TUF yelled as loud as he could.

Airmax and TUF ran for their emergency exit. Airmax felt the handle with the back of his hand to check for a fire. Nothing. He pushed it open and they ran through. The lights flickered then shut off. Flood lights replaced them, creating an eerie ambience. Sirens followed almost immediately afterward.

The secure floor. That was Airmax's only concern. They needed to get to the basement. He pushed open the door at the end of the hall without even thinking about it. "Are you okay, sir?" Someone yelled. Airmax turned and saw one of his secret service agents, Swagnarok.

"I'm fine!" Airmax yelled back. We need to get to the secure floor before"" Airmax was cut off by another explosion. This time it was much louder, and Airmax could see the light from the explosion. A pile of rubble flew into the hallway. "Come on!"

They all got on the stairs and headed down. More secret service agents joined as they descended to the secure floor. When they finally made it, Airmax heard another boom above. It shook the ground a little. Swagnarok put his hand on a sensor, and the vault door opened for them. Everyone piled in, and TUF closed the door behind them. The rest of the building started falling to pieces above them, and Airmax just hoped everyone was alright.

The cameras started to tell a different story.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.