Total Posts:81|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ban talking about race on DDO*

Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 8:25:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I know that there are rules and regulations that we have to follow on this site. Terms of agreement apply here. But does it really. I just looked at a debate between Bobthe2002 and Throwback. Now I am not saying that I personally was offended by the content and title of their debate. I was however taken by the fact that we can use these words here in our titles. I don't think its necessary unless you are taking an opposing stance on the subject at hand. And no it doesn't make sense to let these racial slurs fly off the handle here on this site randomly because it cheapens its value. Not that it is valuable to begin with.
I think racial slurs should be banned if it is used towards a group of people or a single person. So should racial slurs be banned on DDO. What do you believe.

And, just to extend my argument further: the *only* way we can prevent racial slurs on DDO is if we ban talking about race and become race-neutral. I.e, people literally have to stop attaching one type of race/ethnicity to themselves and others. No more identifying as 'Pacific Islander' or 'Native American', and no more criticising/discussing people who identify as 'Pacific Islander' or 'Native American'. If people do start to talk about race...they should be banned.

Comments please.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Can I still be human?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 8:43:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?

That is permitted
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 12:28:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:43:06 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?

That is permitted

how about marathons and ironmans, those ok?
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
OTempora
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 12:52:53 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?

You are a human bean. You are unique and special. just like everyone else.
#NoLoveForZarrothett
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 1:20:17 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 12:52:53 PM, OTempora wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?
You are a human bean. You are unique and special. just like everyone else.
Y'know, it's somewhat interesting that people say that like everyone being unique somehow negates the uniqueness...
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Vaarka
Posts: 13,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 1:23:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
White is superior
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 2:08:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 1:23:15 PM, Vaarka wrote:
White is superior

Is that your way of saying that in all reality, you are a nobody.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 2:54:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 1:20:17 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 10/26/2017 12:52:53 PM, OTempora wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?
You are a human bean. You are unique and special. just like everyone else.
Y'know, it's somewhat interesting that people say that like everyone being unique somehow negates the uniqueness...

Que
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 2:54:51 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 1:23:15 PM, Vaarka wrote:
White is superior

Black is where it's at
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 2:56:43 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 1:48:11 PM, Perussi wrote:
I identify my race as dragon 'mam.

What about people who identify as non-dragon? Stop trying to cause racial tensions ;)
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Mharman
Posts: 5,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 3:42:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
white people are white. black people are black. I'm talking about race
Rest in Peace, Lannan13. You will be missed.

"I didn't spend much time talking to Lannan, and I wish I had. He was a chill guy. Really kind, too. Not once did I ever see him get angry. Lannan and Anger were polar opposites, never coming in contact." -Mharman
_______________________________________________________________________________________

A category 7 hurricane of spam has struck DDO. It is advised to go to the nearest nuclear bomb shelter. The outside threads have been decimated.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 4:08:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 2:54:22 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 10/26/2017 1:20:17 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 10/26/2017 12:52:53 PM, OTempora wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?
You are a human bean. You are unique and special. just like everyone else.
Y'know, it's somewhat interesting that people say that like everyone being unique somehow negates the uniqueness...
Que
"You're unique, just like everyone else"

It seems like it's pointing out an oxymoron by highlighting its contradiction, but there is no contradiction.... though "something unique" definitionally means "possesses unique traits when compared with anything else," I don't think "uniqueness" is a trait "uniqueness" claims to uniquely possess.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 4:24:33 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 3:42:59 PM, Mharman wrote:
white people are white. black people are black. I'm talking about race

I believe that we all should have a rational discussion about race here on this site. But I am aware of the fact that some of you cannot.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,568
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 5:03:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 4:24:33 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/26/2017 3:42:59 PM, Mharman wrote:
white people are white. black people are black. I'm talking about race

I believe that we all should have a rational discussion about race here on this site. But I am aware of the fact that some of you cannot.

+1, Mharman is an anti-semite
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 5:13:38 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 5:03:36 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 10/26/2017 4:24:33 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/26/2017 3:42:59 PM, Mharman wrote:
white people are white. black people are black. I'm talking about race

I believe that we all should have a rational discussion about race here on this site. But I am aware of the fact that some of you cannot.

+1, Mharman is an anti-semite

I do not believe that we can single handedly blame any group of people or ethnicty for the evil out here in the world. The elites have people of all races working for them in all parts of the world. So no I will not follow the anti semite crowd ever. Please do not allow yourself to be part of the ignorance in which is DOO. Stop saying bad things about the Jews.
I know that you are better than that EmilRose.
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 6:10:55 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:25:51 AM, Emilrose wrote:
I know that there are rules and regulations that we have to follow on this site. Terms of agreement apply here. But does it really. I just looked at a debate between Bobthe2002 and Throwback. Now I am not saying that I personally was offended by the content and title of their debate. I was however taken by the fact that we can use these words here in our titles. I don't think its necessary unless you are taking an opposing stance on the subject at hand. And no it doesn't make sense to let these racial slurs fly off the handle here on this site randomly because it cheapens its value. Not that it is valuable to begin with.
I think racial slurs should be banned if it is used towards a group of people or a single person. So should racial slurs be banned on DDO. What do you believe.

And, just to extend my argument further: the *only* way we can prevent racial slurs on DDO is if we ban talking about race and become race-neutral. I.e, people literally have to stop attaching one type of race/ethnicity to themselves and others. No more identifying as 'Pacific Islander' or 'Native American', and no more criticising/discussing people who identify as 'Pacific Islander' or 'Native American'. If people do start to talk about race...they should be banned.

Comments please.

And no we cannot become race neutral here because people take pride in their identity.
So they will use those terms to describe their ethnicity, race, color, or creed.
OTempora
Posts: 589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 7:35:27 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 1:20:17 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 10/26/2017 12:52:53 PM, OTempora wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:33:17 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
Can I still be human?
You are a human bean. You are unique and special. just like everyone else.
Y'know, it's somewhat interesting that people say that like everyone being unique somehow negates the uniqueness...

Everyone is pretty much the same when you really stop to think about it.
#NoLoveForZarrothett
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 8:23:47 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:02:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/26/2017 7:42:41 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Asians are the best gambler's.

Where is your proof.

Um Um.
If you ask any BIG time gamblers they will say this without a doubt.
But I've no proof.
Inferno your going to have to believe me on this one buddy.
Asians are the best gambler's
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2017 8:46:30 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 8:23:47 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 10/26/2017 8:02:54 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/26/2017 7:42:41 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Asians are the best gambler's.

Where is your proof.

Um Um.
If you ask any BIG time gamblers they will say this without a doubt.
But I've no proof.
Inferno your going to have to believe me on this one buddy.
Asians are the best gambler's

Whites gamble better than Asians. You are crazy.
Mharman
Posts: 5,030
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2017 5:50:48 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/26/2017 5:03:36 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 10/26/2017 4:24:33 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/26/2017 3:42:59 PM, Mharman wrote:
white people are white. black people are black. I'm talking about race

I believe that we all should have a rational discussion about race here on this site. But I am aware of the fact that some of you cannot.

+1, Mharman is an anti-semite

thats hot
Rest in Peace, Lannan13. You will be missed.

"I didn't spend much time talking to Lannan, and I wish I had. He was a chill guy. Really kind, too. Not once did I ever see him get angry. Lannan and Anger were polar opposites, never coming in contact." -Mharman
_______________________________________________________________________________________

A category 7 hurricane of spam has struck DDO. It is advised to go to the nearest nuclear bomb shelter. The outside threads have been decimated.
sadolite
Posts: 10,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2017 9:03:50 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
That would leave the left with nothing to talk about politically.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2017 3:13:21 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/27/2017 9:03:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
That would leave the left with nothing to talk about politically.

Or the Right. See, it is that simple. Just reverse the words and walla.
sadolite
Posts: 10,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2017 9:08:20 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 10/28/2017 3:13:21 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/27/2017 9:03:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
That would leave the left with nothing to talk about politically.

Or the Right. See, it is that simple. Just reverse the words and walla.

I never hear people on the right bringing up race but only having to defend being accused of being racist. The left owns the race card lock stock and barrel. There is not one subject on the entire planet that the left hasn't attempted to inject race into and if there is one they will.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
inferno
Posts: 15,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2017 5:07:37 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 10/28/2017 9:08:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/28/2017 3:13:21 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/27/2017 9:03:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
That would leave the left with nothing to talk about politically.

Or the Right. See, it is that simple. Just reverse the words and walla.

I never hear people on the right bringing up race but only having to defend being accused of being racist. The left owns the race card lock stock and barrel. There is not one subject on the entire planet that the left hasn't attempted to inject race into and if there is one they will.

That's because you don't have any ears. The Right is constantly making racist comments, and using racial overtones when they are on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, especially. This is why they are always being exposed for their bigotry and comments like that guy in the NFL. The Texans owner.....yeah.
sadolite
Posts: 10,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2017 9:14:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 10/30/2017 5:07:37 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/28/2017 9:08:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/28/2017 3:13:21 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/27/2017 9:03:50 PM, sadolite wrote:
That would leave the left with nothing to talk about politically.

Or the Right. See, it is that simple. Just reverse the words and walla.

I never hear people on the right bringing up race but only having to defend being accused of being racist. The left owns the race card lock stock and barrel. There is not one subject on the entire planet that the left hasn't attempted to inject race into and if there is one they will.

That's because you don't have any ears. The Right is constantly making racist comments, and using racial overtones when they are on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, especially. This is why they are always being exposed for their bigotry and comments like that guy in the NFL. The Texans owner.....yeah.

Um two things. First thing it is "your opinion" that anything that is said by anyone has racial overtones. Anything can be extrapolated to racist. Example: "The inmates running the asylum". This expression has been around for ever and means exactly what it means. The subordinates have taken over management. Second we are talking about DDO not network commentary shows.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.