Total Posts:193|Showing Posts:121-150|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Myth About People In Jail for Marijuana

malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:02:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 9:46:01 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:

"THE DEA POSITION on MARIJUANA"
http://www.justice.gov...

There are many other authoritative article that you fail to read or accept because yu don't want to face the facts:

"Marijuana and Aggression"
http://adai.uw.edu...

Marijuana - Myths and Facts - The Truth Behind 10 Popular Misperceptions"
https://www.ncjrs.gov...

As for my debating skills, you have no clue. And, my thought processes are very clear. You don't pass the CPA - Certified Public Accountant, CISA - Certified Information Systems Auditor, and CBA - Chartered Bank Auditor exams because you are disorganized and have unclear thought processes.

Also, 16 year-old high school students' opinions on smoking dope or its use for medical marijuana belong in high school debates supervised by high school teachers.

When, I joined to this site, I made the wrong assumption, which was that only adults would be debating.

Convincing a 16-year old stoner that medical marijuana is a farce is like me trying to convince my 16 year-old stepson that too much gaming is bad for his brain.

I shouldn't complain though, he did manage to get his 1st degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do in 4 years while not gaming; he is an A student, and is on the NJROTC " Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps air rifle team, and if I can work it, he will go to the Naval Academy. I forgot, he and none of his NJROTC friends smoke dope or do booze; but a huge percentage of the unfortunate other teenagers/children at his high school are already too messed up to barely function; but, they are cool - they will tell you so.

But, that is cool with you folks. Cool that more and more teenagers are getting stoned and doing other drugs, which will continue to increase at alarming rates as marijuana is legalized in more states, which is why the Feds need to step in now and shut it down in Calif., Washington, and Colorado. Believe the myths you are living or accept the facts and really read those articles you are rejecting. Then see a doctor for help with your pot addiction, even if you only smoke it occasionally; it is still messing with your brain. If you are smoking that crap daily, check into a rehabilitation hospital.

"Teen Health
Teen Marijuana Use at All-Time High"
http://teens.webmd.com...

I know, now you will tell me that marijuana use was high in 1979 according to that scientific research group NORML " too funny, like they have any clue and report totally unbiased data.


Again, debating against stoners is pointless.

I'm approaching my 5th decade on this planet (the very start of it), I don't drink or smoke pot, and if you care about kids not doing drugs, why are you not an advocate for decriminalization?

Use among those under 15 years of age took sharp declines in Portugal after decriminalization, and ABUSE among adults also took sharp declines. Incidents of AIDS were actually less in drug users than non-drug users (and, it was steadily declining, overall).

People were going to treatment instead of jail, and the treatment was working, because jail does nothing for a drug user except make them a drug using criminal.

Like you say, decriminalization doesn't make it legal...it just makes it not criminal for the users (dealers still get put in jail in Portugal...).

If you care about the problem, get on the side that might actually do some good.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 4:58:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 11:02:59 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/10/2013 9:46:01 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:

"THE DEA POSITION on MARIJUANA"
http://www.justice.gov...

There are many other authoritative article that you fail to read or accept because yu don't want to face the facts:


I'm approaching my 5th decade on this planet (the very start of it), I don't drink or smoke pot, and if you care about kids not doing drugs, why are you not an advocate for decriminalization? Good for you! I'm at about 6 and one half at almost 64.

Use among those under 15 years of age took sharp declines in Portugal after decriminalization, and ABUSE among adults also took sharp declines. Incidents of AIDS were actually less in drug users than non-drug users (and, it was steadily declining, overall).

People were going to treatment instead of jail, and the treatment was working, because jail does nothing for a drug user except make them a drug using criminal.

Like you say, decriminalization doesn't make it legal...it just makes it not criminal for the users (dealers still get put in jail in Portugal...).

If you care about the problem, get on the side that might actually do some good.

I care a lot and have had actual experience dealing with one child on marijuana.

Actually you are not reading the right reports on Portugal where it has not worked. And, if you believe Portugal's numbers presented by one doctor who has a vested interest in proving that their decriminalizing programs have worked, you need to do more research!

Decriminalization of drugs in Portugal " The real facts!

http://www.braha.com.br...

http://www.wfad.se...

But, then many point out that more people smoke pot in the USA than some of the other countries, as if that is somehow an argument for decriminalizing pot in the USA or legalizing it. Depending on what report you look at, the USA is ranked as 12th with 13.7%, but this report states that pot use in Jamaica is only 10%, which is a lie, because ganja is used by 60-70% (occasionally use or used). Anyway, these old sayings come to mind "lies, damned lies, and statistics" or "figures don"t lie, but liars figure". Like the numbers by one Doctor in Portugal - Joao Goulao, MD. He does show an approximate decrease in the 15-19 year-old group of 2%, but an increase of 3% in the 15-24 group, but a 8% increase in the 20-24 group. Those numbers are bogus. Based on these numbers, then at the ages 20-24, 5% more of these folks all of a sudden start doing pot because they are no longer teenagers.
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
http://www.cedro-uva.org...

Yes! The USA is prescription pill popping, binge drinking and pot smoking nightmare. Our culture is geared to getting off on booze or pills or pot or anything; and it is popularized in our movies and TV shows ; it is so cool to be stoned and having lots of fun at parties drinking booze and wild sex!

What they don't show on TV or in the movies are the daily admissions to medical facilities for drug and alcohol abuse by people who are frequent users of marijuana, alcohol, cocaine, heroin, and non-heroin opiates.
http://www.samhsa.gov...

Do you have kids that are in high school? Have you ever talked to high school counselors and psychologists about this problem? I have; and the last thing we need to do is decriminalize pot. The teachers want the kids to get help. So do I! They want to intervene, but many pot smoking parents don't want that to happen and other parents think random drug testing of students is against their constitutional rights, which it ain't.

Why do you think teachers and school administrators want random drug testing in grade school and high school?

"Why do some schools want to conduct random drug tests?"

"Schools that have adopted random student drug testing are hoping to decrease drug abuse among students via two routes. First, schools that conduct testing hope that random testing will serve as a deterrent, and give students a reason to resist peer pressure to take drugs. Secondly, drug testing can identify adolescents who have started using drugs so that interventions can occur early, or identify adolescents who already have drug problems, so they can be referred for treatment. Drug abuse not only interferes with a student's ability to learn, but it can also disrupt the teaching environment, affecting other students as well."
http://www.drugabuse.gov...

http://www.drugabuse.gov...

http://www.cbsnews.com...

"Research shows adverse effects of marijuana on teens as drug use among students appears to be rising"

http://www.ednewscolorado.org...

My step-daughter started smoking pot in the seventh grade - peer pressure. She finally got caught in high school. She didn't have pot with her, but her coat reeked of pot from smoking too much before going to school. The teacher passing out homework smelt the dope on her and made her go to the Dean's office. (Please note, her stoner friends were not caught nor her stoner boyfriend - so she still hung with a crowd of stoners.)

She had to be picked up from school and we had to take her for a drug urine test before she could come back to school - she tested positive. She had to be tested monthly for the next two years until she graduated. We had to pay $45 each month. She then had to see the drug counselor and a psychologist. After months of therapy and monthly urine testing, she passed with flying colors. But, we found many articles on her computer about how to beat the urine drug tests. We had installed the software on her computer where we could track the sites she visited. I still occasionally smelt marijuana smoke coming from her room; she would sneak out on the roof and smoke pot. I found stems and seeds in her room.
http://voices.yahoo.com...

Most schools can only require you to have urine tests done. Blood and hair tests for marijuana can't be beaten, but, they are more expensive - so the schools can't require them. Do you get it yet? We got her in for treatment because the high school intervened and tried to help her. But, it just does not work because of our culture and the acceptance of marijuana; and the fact that it is too easy to buy drugs illegally.

So my step-daughter passed her urine tests, because she knew how to beat them, convinced the psychologist that she no longer did drugs, and got her high school degree. What a lovely ending to what surely would have ended in tragedy had the high school not intervened and got her help.

I forgot to mention, her lousy grades that were once A's and B's did not get above C's and her goal of becoming a Registered Nurse after finishing 4 years of college just never seemed to happen. She is now a registered waitress; but she does sometimes make good tips. But, she did get rid of her first stoner boyfriend, whose Dad did time in jail as a dealer for one of the Mexican drug cartel gangs; she now lives with another stoner who can't hold a steady job and she supports; he has a lovely pierced tongue. They still love getting stoned. She has only lost her driver's license once for a year, over 6 tickets, totaled one car, and just ran into a guard rail.

End of Part I.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:02:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Part II.

And, do a few stoners get good grades and go on to college? Of Course! There are exceptions to the majority who do not.

But, what you do not understand is that the Pro Drug Legalization folks don't believe marijuana is an addictive drug. They say it is the same as booze and booze prohibition did not work. So stop trying to stop us from using marijuana; it is safer than booze, which it is not.

So how again, exactly, do you think decriminalizing marijuana is going to help us get folks into treatment so they will stop smoking marijuana? More people in Portugal now smoke the weed and the percentage is increasing despite decriminalizing drugs; and, that is based on Portugal"s own statistics, which I have cited before.

We need mandatory quarterly testing of all students starting in seventh grade. The students" hair should be tested, not their urine; and, the cost of the testing should be paid for by the government, even if our state and income taxes increase. The chemical htc can show up in your hair for six months after smoking; this is how the FBI takes test for marijuana. This will ensure that are children are receiving treatment at a very early age. Mandatory classes that discuss the evils of using any drug, booze addiction, smoking cigarettes, overeating, etc. need to me taught each semester from 1st grade through 12th grade.

Then we need to shut down the selling of drugs by arresting all gang members under the RICO Act and throwing them in jail for life and anyone else caught selling or growing marijuana. We then need to finish the US-Mexican border fence; with heavily equipped guard towers ever one-half mile with high powered search lights, etc. and 40,000 more troops doing patrols 24-7 with thousands of guard dogs and armored machine gun equipped Humvees, more helicopters and drones. Then the government needs to offer cash awards for tips about anyone selling drugs. If the tip is true and results in a conviction, then the award is paid.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
16kadams
Posts: 10,539
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:38:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/8/2013 5:15:27 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
At 2/7/2013 11:10:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/7/2013 11:03:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/5/2013 6:06:29 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Really? Surely you jest!

You did point out one interesting fact, too many kids in high school both in America and Portugal do pot! And, you think legalizing pot in America is going to decrease that %?



I am through with this BS.

You have your articles and I have more that say that the legal use of pot in Portugal and the Netherlands has not work; and, that marijuana is a very addictive drug that should be banned forever; and, that marijuana has no valid use for medical reasons.

So, you can believe whatever you want. I don't care! The fact that most states and most countries have made marijuana illegal means I have won the debate.

Prove me wrong. I don't care about your one-side articles with BS evidence which proves nothing and your stupid unscientific polls

I am betting you are a stoner too!</strong

If you really think that, this shows your judgemen is crap.

Folks like me believe that much stricter controls and enforcement are needed. We believe that prohibition is the only answer. China, through prohibition, eliminated it opium addiction problem in 1956. And, China does not allow marijuana for recreational or medical reasons, because they know all illegal drugs are bad for their country. Of course, they also used training programs to educate everyone as to the evils of the drug and put the addicted in hospitals for treatment, and then gave them jobs. But, those who would not stop were thrown in jail for long periods, and if that did not work, they were executed, which should be what happens in the USA. But, the death penalty would be reserved for only the hardened drug dealers and those who robbed and murdered others to get more drugs.

You will have a very hard time convincing the Bible-Belt States that marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes; and the Congress members from those states will not vote for its legalization at the Federal level despite having a former drug addicted President.

I am not sure that debating at this site proves anything. Too many stoners at this site!

I will say that the majority of people in America are against legalizing marijuana for recreational and medicinal purposes based on the number of states that have passed legislation; not stupid unscientific polls that show otherwise. The proof is in the results.

Only 18 states and DC have passed Medical Marijuana and two states recreational (Washington and Colorado) out of 50 states and DC or 51. 21 our 50 states and DC is 21/51 or only 41%. So, based on legalization results, 59% are against legalizing pot for any reason. I have won! And, if you throw in the 5 US territories where marijuana is illegal, then you have 21/56 or only 37.5% - so 62.5% are against. I have won again! Marijuana is illegal in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Mariana Islands. Based on legislative results, I have won this debate hands down.

Then for more proof, let's look at countries where marijuana is illegal: Albania, Austria, Bolivia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Cuba, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Montenegro, Nepal, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Syria, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Vietnam. I had to add South Korea, where it is illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

I did an analysis of the 82 countries noted at the above site and classified them into Legal and Illegal, which includes a few that allow it specifically for medical purposes, and I did not include the USA or Australia, where it is mostly illegal. My analysis revealed that 61 countries (61/82) or 74% prohibit marijuana for any reason. So, I have won the argument based on countries. You lose!

You need to read the following article carefully; then maybe you will see the light; but, I doubt it, especially if you are an illegal recreational pot user; and if you live any where in the USA and are using pot, you are using it illegally under Federal Law!

You are most likely a stoner; and, stoners will never get it!

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com...

http://teens.webmd.com...

http://www.prisonpolicy.org...

https://www.ncjrs.gov...

http://www.justice.gov...

http://www.csam-asam.org...

http://adai.uw.edu... (Marijuana and Aggression)

http://blog.seattlepi.com...

http://conium.org... (Cocaine, Marijuana, and Heroin)

http://www.justthinktwice.com... (Fiction: Drug Legalization Works)

http://www.braha.com.br... (Decriminalization of Drugs in Portugal - the Real Facts!)
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Raisor
Posts: 5,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:45:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 5:02:53 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Part II.

And, do a few stoners get good grades and go on to college? Of Course! There are exceptions to the majority who do not.


My high school had a 100% college advancement rate (white suburban kids represent), despite wide spread use of marijuana.

Probably about half the people I knew in college smoked weed or at least tried it. Some of the people who smoked were and are very successful, some werent.

When I hear you talk about marijuana and alcohol it just sounds like someone totally detached from the culture in which it is used. The things you say bear very little resemblance to my experience around the drug

I don't deny that people abuse marijuana or that it is probably much healthier to totally abstain from using it, just that your portrayal of it sounds like reefer madness with no bearing on the facts on the ground.
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
Oryus
Posts: 8,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?
with love,
Oryus
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:21:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

Absolutely. Gambling is an addicting behavior.
http://www.addictionsearch.com...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:33:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
A study by UC Berkeley noted that online gambling causes people to turn to criminal behavior and is extremely addicting. It harms college students by trapping them into financial insecurity.

" There have been horror stories of kids failing out of classes or losing their tuitions due to online poker. Some have even turned to criminal activities in order to pay their online poker debts (Kerkstra, 2006)."

This page tries to offer people who have gambling addictions advice as to how they can turn their lives around: http://www.helpguide.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:36:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:21:30 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

Absolutely. Gambling is an addicting behavior.
http://www.addictionsearch.com...

Thank you. At least one intelligent person has the courage to point out what a scourge on the population gambling is. Gamblers are weak-willed addicts who only bring our society down.

Here's another story of a life almost wasted because of their idiotic choice to lower themselves to the level of gambling: http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk...

These addicts make me sick.
with love,
Oryus
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:41:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:36:17 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:21:30 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

Absolutely. Gambling is an addicting behavior.
http://www.addictionsearch.com...

Thank you. At least one intelligent person has the courage to point out what a scourge on the population gambling is. Gamblers are weak-willed addicts who only bring our society down.

Here's another story of a life almost wasted because of their idiotic choice to lower themselves to the level of gambling: http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk...

These addicts make me sick.

We need to clean up these horrible addicts. Online cybergangs and mafia-run casinos are overruning this country just so that some silly addicts can get some cheap thrills from losing their money. I suggest putting all gamblers in straightjackets in mental institutions so that they cannot gamble. This video proves that gamblers can because compulsive liars and thieves. These criminals are draining our society. The first offense should be a year in a mental institution and the second gambling offense should be jail for life. We should also censor the internet so that cybercriminals cannot set up gambling sites.
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:42:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 5:38:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/8/2013 5:15:27 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
At 2/7/2013 11:10:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/7/2013 11:03:45 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/5/2013 6:06:29 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Really? Surely you jest!

You did point out one interesting fact, too many kids in high school both in America and Portugal do pot! And, you think legalizing pot in America is going to decrease that %?



I am through with this BS.

You have your articles and I have more that say that the legal use of pot in Portugal and the Netherlands has not work; and, that marijuana is a very addictive drug that should be banned forever; and, that marijuana has no valid use for medical reasons.

So, you can believe whatever you want. I don't care! The fact that most states and most countries have made marijuana illegal means I have won the debate.

Prove me wrong. I don't care about your one-side articles with BS evidence which proves nothing and your stupid unscientific polls

I am betting you are a stoner too!</strong

If you really think that, this shows your judgemen is crap.

Folks like me believe that much stricter controls and enforcement are needed. We believe that prohibition is the only answer. China, through prohibition, eliminated it opium addiction problem in 1956. And, China does not allow marijuana for recreational or medical reasons, because they know all illegal drugs are bad for their country. Of course, they also used training programs to educate everyone as to the evils of the drug and put the addicted in hospitals for treatment, and then gave them jobs. But, those who would not stop were thrown in jail for long periods, and if that did not work, they were executed, which should be what happens in the USA. But, the death penalty would be reserved for only the hardened drug dealers and those who robbed and murdered others to get more drugs.

You will have a very hard time convincing the Bible-Belt States that marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes; and the Congress members from those states will not vote for its legalization at the Federal level despite having a former drug addicted President.

I am not sure that debating at this site proves anything. Too many stoners at this site!

I will say that the majority of people in America are against legalizing marijuana for recreational and medicinal purposes based on the number of states that have passed legislation; not stupid unscientific polls that show otherwise. The proof is in the results.

Only 18 states and DC have passed Medical Marijuana and two states recreational (Washington and Colorado) out of 50 states and DC or 51. 21 our 50 states and DC is 21/51 or only 41%. So, based on legalization results, 59% are against legalizing pot for any reason. I have won! And, if you throw in the 5 US territories where marijuana is illegal, then you have 21/56 or only 37.5% - so 62.5% are against. I have won again! Marijuana is illegal in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Mariana Islands. Based on legislative results, I have won this debate hands down.

Then for more proof, let's look at countries where marijuana is illegal: Albania, Austria, Bolivia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Cuba, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Montenegro, Nepal, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Syria, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Vietnam. I had to add South Korea, where it is illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

I did an analysis of the 82 countries noted at the above site and classified them into Legal and Illegal, which includes a few that allow it specifically for medical purposes, and I did not include the USA or Australia, where it is mostly illegal. My analysis revealed that 61 countries (61/82) or 74% prohibit marijuana for any reason. So, I have won the argument based on countries. You lose!

You need to read the following article carefully; then maybe you will see the light; but, I doubt it, especially if you are an illegal recreational pot user; and if you live any where in the USA and are using pot, you are using it illegally under Federal Law!

You are most likely a stoner; and, stoners will never get it!

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com...

http://teens.webmd.com...

http://www.prisonpolicy.org...

https://www.ncjrs.gov...

http://www.justice.gov...

http://www.csam-asam.org...

http://adai.uw.edu... (Marijuana and Aggression)

http://blog.seattlepi.com...

http://conium.org... (Cocaine, Marijuana, and Heroin)

http://www.justthinktwice.com... (Fiction: Drug Legalization Works)

http://www.braha.com.br... (Decriminalization of Drugs in Portugal - the Real Facts!)
Whatever, again you are 16, wait 5 years and get back to me.

I have proven my point; sorry you don't agree. So we will have to agree to disagree!

You stoners are all full of BS!
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:44:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Should you really blame gambling? Anything can be potentially addicting. What matters is who gambles.

From Royal's link:
"There are no physical or psychological reasons as to why one becomes a gambling addict. There is a genetic trait which indicates that gambling does run in families, however, no genetic marker or chromosomal defect has ever been linked to addiction. Features that are more common in gamblers include psychological insecurity, lack of responsibility and a desire to hurt themselves."

The same people who become addicted to gambling could also get addicted to anything else that even remotely gives out rewards. The fact of the matter is that gambling is a scapegoat. What we should be doing is giving help for those with addictive personalities, not demonizing gambling
-millions of people enjoy it without becoming addicted-.
#StandWithBossy

#TheMadmanWasUnbanned
Oryus
Posts: 8,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:46:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:41:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:36:17 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:21:30 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

Absolutely. Gambling is an addicting behavior.
http://www.addictionsearch.com...

Thank you. At least one intelligent person has the courage to point out what a scourge on the population gambling is. Gamblers are weak-willed addicts who only bring our society down.

Here's another story of a life almost wasted because of their idiotic choice to lower themselves to the level of gambling: http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk...

These addicts make me sick.

We need to clean up these horrible addicts. Online cybergangs and mafia-run casinos are overruning this country just so that some silly addicts can get some cheap thrills from losing their money. I suggest putting all gamblers in straightjackets in mental institutions so that they cannot gamble. This video proves that gamblers can because compulsive liars and thieves. These criminals are draining our society. The first offense should be a year in a mental institution and the second gambling offense should be jail for life. We should also censor the internet so that cybercriminals cannot set up gambling sites.

Honestly, the fact that gambling is even legal is a testament to how broken the moral fabric of this society is. Gambling should be made illegal. It tears apart families and destroys lives.

If anyone reading this plays poker, I encourage you to seek help immediately.

You have a problem.
http://pokeraddictioninfo.com...
with love,
Oryus
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 6:50:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was joking if you couldn't tell. Gambling is immoral and if you don't see that you're a horrible person.
#StandWithBossy

#TheMadmanWasUnbanned
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 7:48:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:44:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Should you really blame gambling? Anything can be potentially addicting. What matters is who gambles.

From Royal's link:
"There are no physical or psychological reasons as to why one becomes a gambling addict. There is a genetic trait which indicates that gambling does run in families, however, no genetic marker or chromosomal defect has ever been linked to addiction. Features that are more common in gamblers include psychological insecurity, lack of responsibility and a desire to hurt themselves."

The same people who become addicted to gambling could also get addicted to anything else that even remotely gives out rewards. The fact of the matter is that gambling is a scapegoat. What we should be doing is giving help for those with addictive personalities, not demonizing gambling
-millions of people enjoy it without becoming addicted-.

Why are you talking about gambling? I am assuming you think there is an analogy of some sort. You are right about gambling addiction. And, yes, there are addictive personalities.

"An addictive personality refers to a particular set of personality traits that make an individual predisposed to addictions. Many scientists believe that addictive behaviors are defined by the "excessive, repetitive use of pleasurable activities to cope with unmanageable internal conflict, pressure, and stress" This theory states that there are common elements among people with varying addictions that relates to personality traits" People who are substance dependent are characterized by: a physical or psychological dependency that negatively affects their quality of life. They are frequently connected with substance abuse; however, people with addictive personalities are also highly at risk of becoming addicted to gambling, food, pornography, exercise, work, and codependency. Scientists have been better able to understand addictive personalities as researchers delve further into understanding the chemistry of addiction. Alan R. Lang of Florida State University, author of an addiction study prepared for the United States National Academy of Sciences, said, "If we can better identify the personality factors, they can help us devise better treatment and can open up new strategies to intervene and break the patterns of addiction."
http://en.wikipedia.org...

But, you too are Pro Drug Legalization and Pro Medical Marijuana. So, I guess you either do not believe drugs, including marijuana, are addictive or you believe that they are addictive but it is you right to use them or do whatever you want, as long as you don't bother anyone else or something like that. Well, it ain't in America.

I was the VP and Audit Manager at Hollywood Casino, Aurora, IL. Legalized gambling is a joke and just a money maker for the states and the owners; it should be outlawed everywhere but Las Vegas. It mainly destroys the poor folks who can afford it the least. And, the house has the edge in all house games. All that money being wasted for nothing but making the owners filthy rich! It destroys too many lives; but, the states don't care. State lotteries should be outlawed too; again, they mainly hurt the poor and people who can least afford to waste their money playing. And, yes the State and Federal Governments do have the responsibility for stopping people from harming themselves and their families.

But, why are you talking about gambling versus the drug marijuana, which is a mind altering drug that is addictive.

Sure, the same person that becomes addicted to gambling might be addicted to pot.

However, kids can't gamble at casinos, so it not a huge problem. The internet rules/controls in place over internet poker in Nevada will stop most of the underage playing at the internet poker sites licensed in Nevada. I have reviewed the internal controls in Nevada and they are the best in the world, which should be the standard for all internet gambling sites in the world. Very few if any underage kids will get to play internet poker at sites licensed in the USA. So the kids are safe from gambling, they are not safe from pot.

So, I am not sure what your point is?

We need to do everything possible to ensure that anyone under 21 does not get messed up from drugs, especially marijuana, which is banned by Federal Law. Enforcement of that law should be increased ten-fold and more folks should be thrown in jail for life for distributing it or any drugs.

Marijuana and all illegal drugs need to be eradicated from America, once and for all!
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:20:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 5:02:53 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Part II.

And, do a few stoners get good grades and go on to college? Of Course! There are exceptions to the majority who do not.

children's IQs drop an average of 8 points if they start smoking pot before age 16. Adults who begin smoking pot after age 16 have seen no drop in cognitive function that researchers have been able to detect (when not high, obviously, short term memory is poor when stoned...but surprisingly, per a study by my own county's police department, driving ability and function see no major drops while high...listening to the radio actually causes more distraction to driving ability than being stoned).

But, what you do not understand is that the Pro Drug Legalization folks don't believe marijuana is an addictive drug. They say it is the same as booze and booze prohibition did not work. So stop trying to stop us from using marijuana; it is safer than booze, which it is not.

The addiction is of a much different nature. The withdrawal symptomology is of a much lesser magnitude than the drugs which are physically addictive (pot, because it's fat soluble, provides its own step down program as fat with pot in it is burnt, so physical withdrawal that is actually physical is negligible, with the water soluble drugs, the addict is not so lucky,should they opt to try detoxing.

Safer is a relative term, but detoxing from alcohol can, and often does, kill an alcoholic, while there are no reported cases of someone dying while detoxing from reefer.

Most things about cannabis are easier on the physical body. You believe they are still too much for the body and mind to bear, and that's cool, but compared to alcohol, and its effects on the body, what pot does to AN ADULT (again, kids doing pot - VERY BAD) is child's play in comparison.

So how again, exactly, do you think decriminalizing marijuana is going to help us get folks into treatment so they will stop smoking marijuana? More people in Portugal now smoke the weed and the percentage is increasing despite decriminalizing drugs; and, that is based on Portugal"s own statistics, which I have cited before.

The statistics I cited were from the study that you posted. LESS YOUNG CHILDREN (15o and younger) WITH ANY exposure to weed.

Yes, the exposure rate in 16yo to 35yo increased, but ABUSE was down, and only occasional use rates increased.

After age 35, abuse AND use among that demographic took a nose dive.

We need mandatory quarterly testing of all students starting in seventh grade. The students" hair should be tested, not their urine; and, the cost of the testing should be paid for by the government, even if our state and income taxes increase. The chemical htc can show up in your hair for six months after smoking; this is how the FBI takes test for marijuana. This will ensure that are children are receiving treatment at a very early age. Mandatory classes that discuss the evils of using any drug, booze addiction, smoking cigarettes, overeating, etc. need to me taught each semester from 1st grade through 12th grade.

We need to remember we have a constitution with a 4th amendment is what we need to do.

Then we need to shut down the selling of drugs by arresting all gang members under the RICO Act and throwing them in jail for life and anyone else caught selling or growing marijuana. We then need to finish the US-Mexican border fence; with heavily equipped guard towers ever one-half mile with high powered search lights, etc. and 40,000 more troops doing patrols 24-7 with thousands of guard dogs and armored machine gun equipped Humvees, more helicopters and drones. Then the government needs to offer cash awards for tips about anyone selling drugs. If the tip is true and results in a conviction, then the award is paid.

and a 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th amendments that might put something of a kink in your totalitarian plans for a world, drug-free domination.

Decriminalization works for the things that worry you.

I'm sorry about your daughter. Parents think that they are somehow to blame when a child succumbs to drug abuse. If, by that, they mean that the genetic material that they passed down made that child more susceptible to drug abuse, they're right.

If they mean that they were bad parents and that they could have caged their child up and stopped the inevitable, probably not so much. Anyway, I feel you, man...with me, it was the elder generation that really did the abusing. It can suck on both sides, but that doesn't mean you go all ape-sh!t dictatorial like you're proposing. It is bound to fail, and it will hurt a lot of people in the process.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:31:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

I think somebody dated a poker player recently.

.............................

I used to play a significant amount of poker, though I was playing at a level, and with a group of people, who have their names on a wall in Las Vegas, so I don't even know that it was really the same game the way we played it.

Poker is not gambling. There is an element of random chance in the short term, but over the long haul, the better players put themselves in enough positive odds situations that they will come out ahead.

I have no idea if your aunt is a gambling addict or not, but I do know that she was a sh!tty poker player, because every good poker player I've ever known or played with made money at the game, myself included. (I got bored with the number of crappy players who didn't appreciate or take the time to learn the game, which is quite fascinating when you're not folding every hand and it's stupidly boring...that's the thing with poker that bad players don't understand - if you play more than 7-9% of the hands you're dealt, you are going to lose...maybe for them it is gambling, but for me, I knew the odds of my hand and the amount in the pot and I calculated if it was a positive money proposition every time around the table. For all the romanticism of poker, as interesting as it can be, it's not fun if you're playing correctly)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:41:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 8:31:55 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:05:19 PM, Oryus wrote:
There are far worse, more addictive things to go on tangents about than marijuana.

Take poker for example.

As an example, my aunt lost her job, her house, her husband, her kids, and became a convicted felon for theft. She was homeless and living on the streets for years because of her addiction to gambling. To this day, she has difficulty getting a job because of her criminal record. She was addicted to gambling. It's a sad thing, really. People who play poker are just playing with fire. It really shows a weakness in character to play poker. It's kind of pathetic that these thoughtless people would risk everything just to play a silly game. What a waste of life.

Am I right or what?

I think somebody dated a poker player recently.

.............................

Disgusting. I would never date an addict.
with love,
Oryus
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:41:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"But, you too are Pro Drug Legalization and Pro Medical Marijuana. So, I guess you either do not believe drugs, including marijuana, are addictive or you believe that they are addictive but it is you right to use them or do whatever you want, as long as you don't bother anyone else or something like that. Well, it ain't in America."

A little bit of A and a lot of B.
#StandWithBossy

#TheMadmanWasUnbanned
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:49:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 8:20:55 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/10/2013 5:02:53 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Part II.

And, do a few stoners get good grades and go on to college? Of Course! There are exceptions to the majority who do not.

children's IQs drop an average of 8 points if they start smoking pot before age 16. Adults who begin smoking pot after age 16 have seen no drop in cognitive function that researchers have been able to detect (when not high, obviously, short term memory is poor when stoned...but surprisingly, per a study by my own county's police department, driving ability and function see no major drops while high...listening to the radio actually causes more distraction to driving ability than being stoned).

But, what you do not understand is that the Pro Drug Legalization folks don't believe marijuana is an addictive drug. They say it is the same as booze and booze prohibition did not work. So stop trying to stop us from using marijuana; it is safer than booze, which it is not.

The addiction is of a much different nature. The withdrawal symptomology is of a much lesser magnitude than the drugs which are physically addictive (pot, because it's fat soluble, provides its own step down program as fat with pot in it is burnt, so physical withdrawal that is actually physical is negligible, with the water soluble drugs, the addict is not so lucky,should they opt to try detoxing.

Safer is a relative term, but detoxing from alcohol can, and often does, kill an alcoholic, while there are no reported cases of someone dying while detoxing from reefer.

Most things about cannabis are easier on the physical body. You believe they are still too much for the body and mind to bear, and that's cool, but compared to alcohol, and its effects on the body, what pot does to AN ADULT (again, kids doing pot - VERY BAD) is child's play in comparison.

So how again, exactly, do you think decriminalizing marijuana is going to help us get folks into treatment so they will stop smoking marijuana? More people in Portugal now smoke the weed and the percentage is increasing despite decriminalizing drugs; and, that is based on Portugal"s own statistics, which I have cited before.

The statistics I cited were from the study that you posted. LESS YOUNG CHILDREN (15o and younger) WITH ANY exposure to weed.

Yes, the exposure rate in 16yo to 35yo increased, but ABUSE was down, and only occasional use rates increased.

After age 35, abuse AND use among that demographic took a nose dive.

We need mandatory quarterly testing of all students starting in seventh grade. The students" hair should be tested, not their urine; and, the cost of the testing should be paid for by the government, even if our state and income taxes increase. The chemical htc can show up in your hair for six months after smoking; this is how the FBI takes test for marijuana. This will ensure that are children are receiving treatment at a very early age. Mandatory classes that discuss the evils of using any drug, booze addiction, smoking cigarettes, overeating, etc. need to me taught each semester from 1st grade through 12th grade.

We need to remember we have a constitution with a 4th amendment is what we need to do.

Then we need to shut down the selling of drugs by arresting all gang members under the RICO Act and throwing them in jail for life and anyone else caught selling or growing marijuana. We then need to finish the US-Mexican border fence; with heavily equipped guard towers ever one-half mile with high powered search lights, etc. and 40,000 more troops doing patrols 24-7 with thousands of guard dogs and armored machine gun equipped Humvees, more helicopters and drones. Then the government needs to offer cash awards for tips about anyone selling drugs. If the tip is true and results in a conviction, then the award is paid.

and a 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th amendments that might put something of a kink in your totalitarian plans for a world, drug-free domination.

Decriminalization works for the things that worry you.

I'm sorry about your daughter. Parents think that they are somehow to blame when a child succumbs to drug abuse. If, by that, they mean that the genetic material that they passed down made that child more susceptible to drug abuse, they're right.

If they mean that they were bad parents and that they could have caged their child up and stopped the inevitable, probably not so much. Anyway, I feel you, man...with me, it was the elder generation that really did the abusing. It can suck on both sides, but that doesn't mean you go all ape-sh!t dictatorial like you're proposing. It is bound to fail, and it will hurt a lot of people in the process.

Wow, Big Brother is back, right?

Sorry, China had to stop the problem with opium, it too lots of reeducation and stiffer enforcement.

I see this as a much bigger problem than you do.

So do many of the high school teachers and principals I know. In my opinion it is getting much worse each year. So is America's economy. Soon, we will be a two class Society; the Plutocracy with everything, and the rest of us with almost nothing.

I don't know what is worse. The Plutocracy screwing America by outsourcing over 20 millions jobs and owning most of the wealth and paying dirt cheap wages and calling it globalization; the insourcing of over 5 million or more jobs; not having true Universal Health care; not finishing the US border fence and adding 40,000 more agents; calling gay folks normal people who should have the right to get married; or folks demanding the legalization of drugs.

Anyway, I don't believe any of your studies nor does the DEA or the FDA. I guess we will have to wait and see what the DOJ does soon. They will have to take action over the Washington and Colorado laws. I suspect they will challenge those states in court, and get an injunction that will put a stay on those laws until the Federal Court cases are settled; and most likely it will to to Supreme Court, where the Federal Government will win under the Commerce Clause - that is my bet. But, until it is settled by the Supreme Court years from now, the folks in Washington and Colorado will have to wait to toke up legally.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:40:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 8:49:45 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:

Wow, Big Brother is back, right?

I was trying to be sympathetic to your plight, a mistake I won't make in the future.

Also, Big Brother, through the always on Viewscreens and Microphones WAS THE ONE TAKING AWAY PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO PRIVACY, and when his minions captured and tortured Winston, BIG BROTHER TOOK AWAY THEIR 5TH, 6TH, 7TH AND 8TH AMENDMENT RIGHTS AS WELL...assuming the English of Orwell's dystopian future had similar rights at one time...read a book before you invoke it, dipsh!t.

WHAT YOU WERE SUGGESTING WOULD BE THE TACTICS OF THE INNER PARTY, OR BIG BROTHER, FROM 1984. WHAT I WAS SUGGESTING WAS STOPPING YOUR ABILITY TO BRING US TO THAT TYRANNICAL FUTURE IN ONE FELL SWOOP, IDIOT.

Sorry, China had to stop the problem with opium, it too lots of reeducation and stiffer enforcement.

You know who had a problem with opium before it was outlawed? It wasn't Chinese men, it was White women. The Chinese had been using opium for millennium. White women discovered it, however, and started putting it in every bottle in the house they could stash it. When opium ended up being prohibited in America, it wasn't the railroad workers that suffered, by and large, it was the housewives that couldn't get their "tonic" any longer..

I see this as a much bigger problem than you do.

No you don't, you just don't see the problem correctly and your solution is stupid.

So do many of the high school teachers and principals I know. In my opinion it is getting much worse each year. So is America's economy. Soon, we will be a two class Society; the Plutocracy with everything, and the rest of us with almost nothing.

Jefferson would say "get off your @ss and bring the revolution".

I don't know what is worse. The Plutocracy screwing America by outsourcing over 20 millions jobs and owning most of the wealth and paying dirt cheap wages and calling it globalization; the insourcing of over 5 million or more jobs; not having true Universal Health care; not finishing the US border fence and adding 40,000 more agents; calling gay folks normal people who should have the right to get married; or folks demanding the legalization of drugs.

I was with ya until border fence, and then your crazy came out and you lost me.

Anyway, I don't believe any of your studies nor does the DEA or the FDA. I guess we will have to wait and see what the DOJ does soon. They will have to take action over the Washington and Colorado laws. I suspect they will challenge those states in court, and get an injunction that will put a stay on those laws until the Federal Court cases are settled; and most likely it will to to Supreme Court, where the Federal Government will win under the Commerce Clause - that is my bet. But, until it is settled by the Supreme Court years from now, the folks in Washington and Colorado will have to wait to toke up legally.

THEY WERE YOUR STUDIES. EVERYTHING I QUOTED WAS FROM THE STUDY YOU KEEP RELYING ON.

BRING IT WITH YOU NEXT TIME AND I'LL SHOW YOU SINCE YOUR ABILITY TO READ IS AT ISSUE.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:42:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 8:41:09 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/10/2013 8:31:55 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

I think somebody dated a poker player recently.

.............................

Disgusting. I would never date an addict.

Oh... *puts head down, weeps and slowly saunters out of the room*
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
The_Chaos_Heart
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 3:23:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 6:50:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I was joking if you couldn't tell. Gambling is immoral and if you don't see that you're a horrible person.

I disagree completely. Where is the innate harm in gambling? If I have $5, and I decide to bet it in friendly competition with a friend, suddenly we are both immoral, and horrible people?

And if not, then where's the difference when I go to a casino to play a game?

I fail to see what is immoral.
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 8:14:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/11/2013 3:23:49 AM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:50:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I was joking if you couldn't tell. Gambling is immoral and if you don't see that you're a horrible person.

I disagree completely. Where is the innate harm in gambling? If I have $5, and I decide to bet it in friendly competition with a friend, suddenly we are both immoral, and horrible people?

And if not, then where's the difference when I go to a casino to play a game?

I fail to see what is immoral.

Private home games for small stakes are fine; legalized casinos, except in Vegas, are fine, because only the wealth usually get to go to Vegas for the most part, and the poor and those who can't afford to gamble are protected. They are bad for society and mainly destroy the poor and lower middle class who can afford it the least.

And, what is immortal? The most immoral thing ever invented is religion. And, the worst swear word ever invented is GOD, which is another invented concept.

Morality is an invented concept. It is dependent on the society you live in. Totally bogus, e.g., it is OK to kill in war, even innocent children; but, it is against the law to kill someone in your front yard trying to steal your car today, when you used to be able to hang someone for stealing your horse. Who decides what is moral?
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 8:33:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/10/2013 11:40:23 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/10/2013 8:49:45 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:

Wow, Big Brother is back, right?

I was trying to be sympathetic to your plight, a mistake I won't make in the future.

Also, Big Brother, through the always on Viewscreens and Microphones WAS THE ONE TAKING AWAY PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO PRIVACY, and when his minions captured and tortured Winston, BIG BROTHER TOOK AWAY THEIR 5TH, 6TH, 7TH AND 8TH AMENDMENT RIGHTS AS WELL...assuming the English of Orwell's dystopian future had similar rights at one time...read a book before you invoke it, dipsh!t.

WHAT YOU WERE SUGGESTING WOULD BE THE TACTICS OF THE INNER PARTY, OR BIG BROTHER, FROM 1984. WHAT I WAS SUGGESTING WAS STOPPING YOUR ABILITY TO BRING US TO THAT TYRANNICAL FUTURE IN ONE FELL SWOOP, IDIOT.

Sorry, China had to stop the problem with opium, it too lots of reeducation and stiffer enforcement.

You know who had a problem with opium before it was outlawed? It wasn't Chinese men, it was White women. The Chinese had been using opium for millennium. White women discovered it, however, and started putting it in every bottle in the house they could stash it. When opium ended up being prohibited in America, it wasn't the railroad workers that suffered, by and large, it was the housewives that couldn't get their "tonic" any longer..

I see this as a much bigger problem than you do.

No you don't, you just don't see the problem correctly and your solution is stupid.

So do many of the high school teachers and principals I know. In my opinion it is getting much worse each year. So is America's economy. Soon, we will be a two class Society; the Plutocracy with everything, and the rest of us with almost nothing.

Jefferson would say "get off your @ss and bring the revolution".

I don't know what is worse. The Plutocracy screwing America by outsourcing over 20 millions jobs and owning most of the wealth and paying dirt cheap wages and calling it globalization; the insourcing of over 5 million or more jobs; not having true Universal Health care; not finishing the US border fence and adding 40,000 more agents; calling gay folks normal people who should have the right to get married; or folks demanding the legalization of drugs.

I was with ya until border fence, and then your crazy came out and you lost me.

Anyway, I don't believe any of your studies nor does the DEA or the FDA. I guess we will have to wait and see what the DOJ does soon. They will have to take action over the Washington and Colorado laws. I suspect they will challenge those states in court, and get an injunction that will put a stay on those laws until the Federal Court cases are settled; and most likely it will to to Supreme Court, where the Federal Government will win under the Commerce Clause - that is my bet. But, until it is settled by the Supreme Court years from now, the folks in Washington and Colorado will have to wait to toke up legally.

THEY WERE YOUR STUDIES. EVERYTHING I QUOTED WAS FROM THE STUDY YOU KEEP RELYING ON.

BRING IT WITH YOU NEXT TIME AND I'LL SHOW YOU SINCE YOUR ABILITY TO READ IS AT ISSUE.


I was with you until you got rude! And, I am hoping the revolution starts soon. And, you need to reread the DEA report, I am not sure you are reading the same one I am reading.

http://www.justice.gov...

As far as the border, over 100,000 to 200,000 illegal Mexican immigrants still get across the US-Mexican border annually, as do most of the drugs that come into America. That is 500,000 to 1,000,000 more illegals every 5 years. Too many. We let 1,000,000 people legally into America annually via Legal Immigration. That is enough. My wife and two step-children are here legally from Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I am totally for legal immigration. Anyway, the fence and the troops are needed to stop more low life Mexicans from getting into America illegally and the illegal drugs. And, I lived in San Antonio, TX for 9 years and have many Mexican friends who feel exactly like I do. As a matter of fact, I was best man at my best friend's wedding in San Antonio, he is Mexican.

I will address all the Constitutional Amendments you have mentioned shortly; me thinks you are interrupting them incorrectly; but, that does not surprise me.

You are an immature child when you call me names; and, I have read all the books you have mention.

So since you are being rude, I will lower myself to your level.

Go suck an egg!
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 9:24:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Hah.

I exist.

And you can't refute my argument becuase there is none!

I win!

Edit: This belonds in the Misc "record attempt at most posts" forum.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
The_Chaos_Heart
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 10:43:40 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/11/2013 8:14:46 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
They are bad for society and mainly destroy the poor and lower middle class who can afford it the least.

In other words...it's a potentially addictive behavior that is only bad when one who has poor self-control becomes enthralled with it. Which can be said about...pretty much everything in life.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 12:36:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/11/2013 8:14:46 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
At 2/11/2013 3:23:49 AM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 2/10/2013 6:50:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I was joking if you couldn't tell. Gambling is immoral and if you don't see that you're a horrible person.

I disagree completely. Where is the innate harm in gambling? If I have $5, and I decide to bet it in friendly competition with a friend, suddenly we are both immoral, and horrible people?

And if not, then where's the difference when I go to a casino to play a game?

I fail to see what is immoral.

Private home games for small stakes are fine; legalized casinos, except in Vegas, are fine, because only the wealth usually get to go to Vegas for the most part, and the poor and those who can't afford to gamble are protected. They are bad for society and mainly destroy the poor and lower middle class who can afford it the least.

And, what is immortal? The most immoral thing ever invented is religion. And, the worst swear word ever invented is GOD, which is another invented concept.

Morality is an invented concept. It is dependent on the society you live in. Totally bogus, e.g., it is OK to kill in war, even innocent children; but, it is against the law to kill someone in your front yard trying to steal your car today, when you used to be able to hang someone for stealing your horse. Who decides what is moral?

This is why I miss newspapers. Vegas caters to everyone. If they still had Wednesday papers, which is typically the day travel destinations are advertised (weekend getaway planning needs 2 solid days, I guess), you'd see that flight plus 3 days/2 nights will set you back less than $300/person, and sometimes less thn $200/person.

Vegas is cheap. It's where my grandparents retired on a very limited retirement income.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 12:41:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/11/2013 8:33:11 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:

BRING IT WITH YOU NEXT TIME AND I'LL SHOW YOU SINCE YOUR ABILITY TO READ IS AT ISSUE.

I was with you until you got rude! And, I am hoping the revolution starts soon. And, you need to reread the DEA report, I am not sure you are reading the same one I am reading.

http://www.justice.gov...


As far as the border, over 100,000 to 200,000 illegal Mexican immigrants still get across the US-Mexican border annually, as do most of the drugs that come into America. That is 500,000 to 1,000,000 more illegals every 5 years. Too many. We let 1,000,000 people legally into America annually via Legal Immigration. That is enough. My wife and two step-children are here legally from Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I am totally for legal immigration. Anyway, the fence and the troops are needed to stop more low life Mexicans from getting into America illegally and the illegal drugs. And, I lived in San Antonio, TX for 9 years and have many Mexican friends who feel exactly like I do. As a matter of fact, I was best man at my best friend's wedding in San Antonio, he is Mexican.

I will address all the Constitutional Amendments you have mentioned shortly; me thinks you are interrupting them incorrectly; but, that does not surprise me.

You are an immature child when you call me names; and, I have read all the books you have mention.

So since you are being rude, I will lower myself to your level.

Go suck an egg!

no, the portugal study...bring that one. I don't care enough about pot to exclusively discuss it. The problem is greater than pot.

(PS - we just recently doubled the size of our border patrol force on our southern border. You know what the effect was? nada...zip...zilch...nothing. it is throwing good money after bad. it's stupid, and I know this because I've seen the failure of it before.)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 12:45:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 2/3/2013 7:34:41 PM, GWL-CPA wrote:
There seems to be a lot of folks thinking that the decriminalizing of marijuana will actually cut down on drug use and is much better than putting repeat drug users in jail. They seem to imply that most of the people put in jail for drugs are just casual users that just need medical help not jail.

That is a widespread MYTH!

First of all, in most states, if you are a 1st time offender, you will not serve any jail time for being caught with a small amount of marijuana. You most likely will be charged with a misdemeanor and get a fine and be placed on probation. It does vary by state. But, the truth be told, most of the people convicted of drug felonies are not in jail for smoking or possessing a little weed. There is a great article you need to read for the truth:

"Who"s Really in Prison for Marijuana?"

"Drug legalizers want you to believe a lie" that our prisons are filled with marijuana smokers. In fact, the vast majority of drug prisoners are violent criminals, repeat offenders, traffickers, or all of the above."

The idea that our nation"s prisons are overflowing with otherwise law"abiding people convicted for nothing more than simple possession of marijuana is treated by many as conventional wisdom.

But this, in fact, is a myth"an illusion conjured and aggressively perpetuated by drug advocacy groups seeking to relax or abolish America"s marijuana laws. In reality, the vast majority of inmates in state and federal prison for marijuana have been found guilty of much more than simple possession. Some were convicted for drug trafficking, some for marijuana possession along with one or more other offenses. And many of those serving time for marijuana pled down to possession in order to avoid prosecution on much more serious charges.

In 1997, the year for which the most recent data are available, just 1.6 percent of the state inmate population were held for offenses involving only marijuana, and less than one percent of all state prisoners (0.7 percent) were incarcerated with marijuana possession as the only charge, according to the U.S.

Department of Justice"s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). An even smaller fraction of state prisoners in 1997 who were convicted just for marijuana possession were first"time offenders (0.3 percent).

The numbers on the federal level tell a similar story. Out of all drug defendants sentenced in federal court for marijuana crimes in 2001, the overwhelming majority were convicted for trafficking, according to the U.S. Sentencing Commission. Only
2.3 percent"186 people"received sentences for simple possession, and of the 174 for whom sentencing information is known, just 63 actually served time behind bars.

In reality, the vast majority of inmates in state and federal prison for marijuana have been found guilty of much more than simple possession.

Drug use harms the user and it harms the community, and because of this, criminal penalties have been put in place to control the possession and use of illicit substances. Built into the criminal justice system is an appropriate measure of discretion that responds to the gravity of the offense.

Those who persistently violate the country"s drug laws face criminal penalties, which may include time behind bars.

For offenders whose involvement in law"breaking is minor, the sanctions are slight and often involve a referral to treatment rather than incarceration.

And yet, in spite of these facts, a false characterization continues to be promoted that depicts the criminal"justice response to marijuana violations as unduly harsh, exclusively punitive, and disproportionate. This characterization must be countered by the truth, which is this:

Americans are not routinely being sent to prison in large numbers just for possessing small amounts of marijuana. Our criminal justice system, on the whole, is fair and equitable, and despite frequent claims to the contrary, there"s very little chance that anyone in this country, particularly a first"time offender, will be sent to prison for merely puffing a "joint.

http://www.prisonpolicy.org...

Most people in the county jail, for my county, are there for nonviolent drug charges. In Florida you can have your property seized by the state (whether it's a house, or a car), if traces of marijuana are found in or on your property.

I am a teetotaler, I don't drink, and I certainly don't do drugs. I don't even drink soda, I only drink water.

I am strongly against drug laws, because they violate the constitution. The constitution specifically states that people have a natural right to life, liberty, and property, and that US citizens cannot be deprived of their natural rights unless convicted of a crime through due process of law.

That means prohibition of any kind is unconstitutional. That's why the constitution had to be amended to allow prohibition of alcohol. After that prohibition failed, it was amended again, so that only states could prohibit alcohol. The state power of prohibition is limited only to alcohol.

From an economic point of view, prohibitions do not work; they just create black market monopolies. So long as their is a demand there will be a supplier.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.