Where to Exodus

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 6:39:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/6/2018 6:29:08 PM, Leaning wrote:
My ship is Leaning, and I'm crew, skipper, and captain... We're all going down... Allll on account of the weather.

Well Jack Sparrow must be responsible for it. ARRRR

What say ye, Sparrow?

http://www.debate.org...
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 6:40:31 PM
At 8/6/2018 6:39:48 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
At 8/6/2018 6:29:08 PM, Leaning wrote:
My ship is Leaning, and I'm crew, skipper, and captain... We're all going down... Allll on account of the weather.

Well Jack Sparrow must be responsible for it. ARRRR

What say ye, Sparrow?

http://www.youtube.com...

Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 6:44:43 PM
Hmm I advocate DDO and you advocate DI

So what now, Barbossa Are we to be two immortal avatars locked in an epic battle until Juggle Day and deletes spam?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 6:58:43 PM
I will say though, DebateIsland seems the most set up for an exodus *NOW*. Its core functions are already established, its got plenty of bells and whistles. Mobile is a pain, but mobile is a pain in any option. The forum formatting is an eye sore, especially with all the pictures ballooning size and slowing loading times. FD has a better format in that regards.

But that's a smaller detail to the big picture. Which is that if FD is a shiny new ship, DI is the ship thats been broken in. It has a crew, but wants more. That's appealing in its own right because that comes with security.

Civid is new and incomplete, and it's spokesman has stated it has no plans to have actual debating. It's clear to me debaters are their means to draw in more people, but as a means to the end of creating a mainstream intellectual social media website.

FD is new and incomplete. It already has many core functionalities in place that mirror DDO's. But it has no community, and is thus insecure. One may find appeal in that, one may not. I generally don't.

All three appear to have dedicated teams operating them. Active management of the website, the primary issue here, is not an issue for any of the three main option. This is a credit to all three, because even though ive voiced negative opinions over the direction Civid seems to be taken, BenK is at least adamant about his vision and clearly involved with achieving it. That has at least earned my respect, even if I do admittedly have a tendency to be a bit of a dick when saying something.

The decision is tough, but I'm gonna throw in my support for DI because of a few things:

1) Core Functionality is present
2) The site has a somewhat active community already
3) Its actually has debate
4) The ownership/management is involved and I saw nary a spam post in my examination :O

Sure, it has its negatives as I've pointed out. And other alternatives also have some of the 4 listed as well. But none of the other alternatives have *all 4*. And thats what this is coming down to. I'll take it from what RM said that the functionality and options when posting between FD and DI are pretty much the same.

*VTL DebateIsland*
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 7:48:06 PM
I have recently deployed a completely new website that you guys can check out here -> https://www.debateart.com.... Obviously, it's as raw as it gets since it's been online for only 1 day and the functionality is limited compared to what we have here but it's not gonna take much time to implement it and even go further than that. I've checked that debateisland website and no offense, but that one is just ugly and heavy. So just check it out and with your help, I promise it won't take too much time to build up all the required and needed stuff. And even though it's far from having a fancy design (I am no designer, so it was a pain in the butt for me to come up with something really good), it's surely better than the debateisland. Although there is no mobile version but at some point it will be fixed too and fixed properly, not with "whatever works" attitude.
DebateArt.com - New debating platform. Give it a shot.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 7:55:33 PM
At 8/6/2018 7:48:06 PM, justmichael wrote:
I have recently deployed a completely new website that you guys can check out here -> https://www.debateart.com.... Obviously, it's as raw as it gets since it's been online for only 1 day and the functionality is limited compared to what we have here but it's not gonna take much time to implement it and even go further than that. I've checked that debateisland website and no offense, but that one is just ugly and heavy. So just check it out and with your help, I promise it won't take too much time to build up all the required and needed stuff. And even though it's far from having a fancy design (I am no designer, so it was a pain in the butt for me to come up with something really good), it's surely better than the debateisland. Although there is no mobile version but at some point it will be fixed too and fixed properly, not with "whatever works" attitude.

You joined the website 3 years ago. Have 0 debates and your third forum post ever was to advertise this website of yours in the middle of a preplanned spam attack of levels that are the envy of most organised DDOS operations of Anonymous.

You have the gall to speak ill of debate island. Let's hope your pretty site which has a forum topic 'debateart.org' or whatever instead of the .com that your site really is... You copied DDO and are the single most likely preplanned thief actually responsible for this spam attack. Don't come out of the shadows here and sh** on DI and expect to get no backlash.

You want to spar? Let's go kid,

You plagiarised DDO in EVERY SINGLE WAY you could imagine to design your site and want to call DI the one who doesn't deal with problems without a 'whatever works' attitude. What? Witty comeback? I'm waiting.

justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 8:06:02 PM
At 8/6/2018 7:55:33 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

You joined the website 3 years ago. Have 0 debates and your third forum post ever was to advertise this website of yours in the middle of a preplanned spam attack of levels that are the envy of most organised DDOS operations of Anonymous.

You have the gall to speak ill of debate island. Let's hope your pretty site which has a forum topic 'debateart.org' or whatever instead of the .com that your site really is... You copied DDO and are the single most likely preplanned thief actually responsible for this spam attack. Don't come out of the shadows here and sh** on DI and expect to get no backlash.

You plagiarised DDO in EVERY SINGLE WAY you could imagine to design your site and want to call DI the one who doesn't deal with problems without a 'whatever works' attitude. What? Witty comeback? I'm waiting.

Good to know. Your opinion is very important.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 8:11:19 PM
At 8/6/2018 8:06:02 PM, justmichael wrote:
I've checked that debateisland website and no offense, but that one is just ugly and heavy.
it's surely better than the debateisland.
doesn't deal with problems without a 'whatever works' attitude. What? Witty comeback? I'm waiting.

: Good to know. Your opinion is very important.

Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 8:25:06 PM
www.debatart.com is looking pretty good right now. It's under heavy development so we can mold it easily.
"Do not accept and evil you can change" - e.lockhart

New debate platform that's basically DDO but without the spam: DebateArt.com
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 8:52:28 PM
At 8/6/2018 8:06:02 PM, justmichael wrote:
At 8/6/2018 7:55:33 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Good to know. Your opinion is very important.

Can everyone please calm down. It's pointless to try and blame each other for the spam attack, it's obviously just a bunch of random Indian dudes who are killing this site. Everyone on this forum has a good grasp of the English language, which is more than can be said for the spammers. Additionally, Debate Art has no ads so it can't be profiting anyone. The Baba Ji spam is all over the internet. Let's please sit down and have a civil debate. I am arguing for Debate Art because it is functional, not hideous, abd gas a responsible Dev, which is more than can be said fir many others. It is also very similar to DDO so it would make a good alternative. If we want DDO without the spam, it looks good. Another possible solution would be for everyone to become active on several sites and let natural selection work it out. In the coming days I will create a forum with all the debate sites I can find, along with their pros and cons. Let's discuss there. I'll post a link here when I'm done. In the meantime, let's remain calm and civil. DDO is a sinking ship, let's have an orderly evacuation.

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 9:08:43 PM
At 8/6/2018 8:52:28 PM, Jhhillman wrote:
DDO is a sinking ship, let's have an orderly evacuation.

It is not orderly to sporadically split apart the community across many sites.

Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 9:11:45 PM
At 8/6/2018 9:08:43 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Is there an alternative? If we all distribute ourselves, but keep accounts on multiple sites, we can test which ones are better, and basically let natural selection work it out. It's not perfect, but it's the best option we've got.

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 9:13:37 PM
At 8/6/2018 9:11:45 PM, Jhhillman wrote:

Is there an alternative? If we all distribute ourselves, but keep accounts on multiple sites, we can test which ones are better, and basically let natural selection work it out. It's not perfect, but it's the best option we've got.

I totally disagree. The best solution is to all move in and mix the culture of DDO with the culture in the new site ASAP.

It has been proven by many studies that when immigration is sporadic this guarantees a shanty town of 'us and them' with the first gen. immigrants and the locals. On the other hand, when it occurs in big waves, what instead occurs is 'us and them' mentality. Every single time.

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 9:16:18 PM
At 8/6/2018 9:13:37 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

I totally disagree. The best solution is to all move in and mix the culture of DDO with the culture in the new site ASAP.

It has been proven by many studies that when immigration is sporadic this guarantees a shanty town of 'us and them' with the first gen. immigrants and the locals. On the other hand, when it occurs in big waves, what instead occurs is 'us and them' mentality. Every single time.

I meant us vs them for the first one.

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 10:14:00 PM
BenK told me that a 1-on-1 debate feature is in the works for Civid, so I'm holding out hope for that insofar as an exodus is concerned...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 2:46:15 AM
At 8/6/2018 10:14:00 PM, Varrack wrote:
BenK told me that a 1-on-1 debate feature is in the works for Civid, so I'm holding out hope for that insofar as an exodus is concerned...

Should we really even value the debate formats a site holds at this point?

Lets face it, the vast majority of the most active members on the site stopped participating in debates long before the forfeit bugs and stricter voting requirements were implemented.... In fact I remember quite vividly during presidential elections how candidates tried to come up with many different schemes to encourage debating on the site between members due to how much the regular class of active members had stopped doing actual debates.......

If anything, the site that should be selected for a potential mass exodus should be a site that has solid forums that are easy to use, and are well modded/regulated to keep spammers and other general retardation out of the way.
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

12/14/14 to 1/1/15 = VP of DDO
8/4/18 to 8/6/18 = Start of the Worst Spam Attack in DDO History (61 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 37 seconds... Estimated 63,175 Spam Posts during the main attack)

Be Today's Hero and Tomorrow's Hero
The trash from yesterday will still be trash from every day onwards
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 2:56:57 AM
At 8/6/2018 9:16:18 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
At 8/6/2018 9:13:37 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

I meant us vs them for the first one.

The question is, where do we go? There's never going to be a consensus on where to flee to. There's no site that everyone likes.

Leaning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 3:00:59 AM
Would there really need to be consensus? I would assume, not everyone likes everyone. Pockets of people leaving together would make more sense to me. As in the people you actually consider friends on the site or enjoy talking to.

I mean really, can you imagine all of the theists and atheists and whateverists always flaming each other agreeing to all go to another site all together?
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 3:08:17 AM
At 8/7/2018 3:00:59 AM, Leaning wrote:
Would there really need to be consensus? I would assume, not everyone likes everyone. Pockets of people leaving together would make more sense to me. As in the people you actually consider friends on the site or enjoy talking to.

I mean really, can you imagine all of the theists and atheists and whateverists always flaming each other agreeing to all go to another site all together?

I can imagine that. It happens in DI without the flaming. We have had extreme flat earth right-wing haters of authority bonding with far left socialist conspiracy theorist Zionist haters. Ont the other side, we've had centrists of all sort enjoy tackling the small differences between them. There is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on bullying, even 'funny taunting'.

Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 3:14:43 AM
At 8/7/2018 3:08:17 AM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

I can imagine that. It happens in DI without the flaming. We have had extreme flat earth right-wing haters of authority bonding with far left socialist conspiracy theorist Zionist haters. Ont the other side, we've had centrists of all sort enjoy tackling the small differences between them. There is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on bullying, even 'funny taunting'.

I'm not exactly sure that that culture would remain intact though. DDO has. Lot of members, we probably wouldn't assimilate too well. That's why we should head to a new site like Civid or Debate Art.

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 3:22:50 AM
At 8/7/2018 3:14:43 AM, Jhhillman wrote:

I'm not exactly sure that that culture would remain intact though. DDO has. Lot of members, we probably wouldn't assimilate too well. That's why we should head to a new site like Civid or Debate Art.

You know what? Go to those sites. :)

When you realise how bad they are and how ill the admins of civid treat the users, come to DI.

ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 7:00:38 AM
Remove the "Art" from it and you will think DebateArt is DDO. They even have the same color scheme.

Just tried it and it's the easiest move. ForDebating.com is trying to be another DDO too but is not ready yet.

I'm at Debate Island now with a few other ex-DDO'ers but the site is too heavy and slow, and the mobile version is wonky.

DebateArt gets my vote.
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 7:27:49 AM
At 8/8/2018 7:00:38 AM, ethang5 wrote:
Remove the "Art" from it and you will think DebateArt is DDO. They even have the same color scheme.

Just tried it and it's the easiest move. ForDebating.com is trying to be another DDO too but is not ready yet.

I'm at Debate Island now with a few other ex-DDO'ers but the site is too heavy and slow, and the mobile version is wonky.

DebateArt gets my vote.

Some parts of the website do have a similar design (which doesn't require getting used to) but many are completely different, take the office for example.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 7:43:40 AM
At 8/8/2018 7:27:49 AM, justmichael wrote:

DebateArt gets my vote.

Some parts of the website do have a similar design (which doesn't require getting used to) but many are completely different, take the office for example.

I know, but DDO's right now are in shock and mourning. They want familiarity and comfort. They will find your good stuff when they go, but they have to go first.

BTW, can you tell me who is your mod and what will be your policy on trolls?

The way you've done debates is excellent. It solves the problem DDO had with people not wanting to do formal debates. Good job.
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 8:23:09 AM
At 8/8/2018 7:43:40 AM, ethang5 wrote:

DebateArt gets my vote.

I know, but DDO's right now are in shock and mourning. They want familiarity and comfort. They will find your good stuff when they go, but they have to go first.

The way you've done debates is excellent. It solves the problem DDO had with people not wanting to do formal debates. Good job.

Yeah, it should be familiar and comfortable as it gets :)

There are no mods yet, but I am thinking about implementing a full blown system of self moderation but I'd like help on that, because people have a lot of experience here and it would be super valuable.

Also I am thinking about some system where the new users have limited abilities but with more experience, more and more options would get available. Like what they have on StackOverflow, if you know that one. But again, it requires lots of thinking and coding.

Thank you, now it's extremely raw though but with time it's gonna get more sophisticated and interesting.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 1:06:15 PM
At 8/8/2018 8:23:09 AM, justmichael wrote:

DebateArt gets my vote.

There are no mods yet, but I am thinking about implementing a full blown system of self moderation but I'd like help on that, because people have a lot of experience here and it would be super valuable.

Also I am thinking about some system where the new users have limited abilities but with more experience, more and more options would get available. Like what they have on StackOverflow, if you know that one. But again, it requires lots of thinking and coding.

Thank you, now it's extremely raw though but with time it's gonna get more sophisticated and interesting.

You better be all over the troll issue. It will kill you quick. And you better believe the trolls from here will migrate to you.
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 1:15:50 PM
At 8/8/2018 1:06:15 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 8/8/2018 8:23:09 AM, justmichael wrote:

DebateArt gets my vote.

You better be all over the troll issue. It will kill you quick. And you better believe the trolls from here will migrate to you.

Understood. Any suggestions on how to handle this issue in a scalable manner? Any help would be appreciated.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 1:53:29 PM
At 8/8/2018 1:15:50 PM, justmichael wrote:
At 8/8/2018 1:06:15 PM, ethang5 wrote:

DebateArt gets my vote.

Understood. Any suggestions on how to handle this issue in a scalable manner? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a language filter? You need one. It is the quickest way to pick up trolls, they tend to be vulgar.

But the best way is the old fashioned way. Get one person per forum to be
_______________ (insert prestigious title here) who members will report offenses to. They have no real power, they just report real offenses to you.

That frees you up from having to deal with problems that can be solved at below Mod level, encourages people to invest in the site, and gives members the general impression that the site is caring and responsive. As you get bigger, you can add __________________(insert prestigious title here)

If you are whimpy on trolling, your site will die.
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 3:20:26 PM
At 8/7/2018 3:22:50 AM, RMTheSupreme wrote:
At 8/7/2018 3:14:43 AM, Jhhillman wrote:

You know what? Go to those sites. :)

When you realise how bad they are and how ill the admins of civid treat the users, come to DI.
I actually have been to debate art. I messaged one of the admin suggesting a change, and they quickly and kindly replied to my concern. 12 hours later my suggestion had been added to the site. I don't know about Civid, but Debate Art seems like they actually care about their users, and aren't unnecessarily vague like Civid or creepily corporate like Debate Island.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.