Enhancement Suggestions and Bug Reporting

The_Observer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2018 11:25:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

I'm seeing a lot of this while looking for debates to join. It just looks like spam or bots or something, but there are a TON of these. Does anybody know what is going on here?
Jensvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 10:38:07 AM
The amount of spam on this website is insane. It can't be that hard to control it, just put a max amount of 2 posts per hour or something and automatically delete the accounts if reported by some amount of users as spam. At least until the problem is over because it completely kills the site.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2018 3:59:35 PM
At 8/4/2018 10:38:07 AM, Jensvs wrote:
The amount of spam on this website is insane. It can't be that hard to control it, just put a max amount of 2 posts per hour or something and automatically delete the accounts if reported by some amount of users as spam. At least until the problem is over because it completely kills the site.

+1

I just looked at the politics forum... it took 28 pages for me to get to my first non-spam post.

I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. By over-spamming the site all they are doing is driving away the audience they are apparently trying to attract. I mean who tf is searching through 28 pages of spam to find something interesting to spend money on? And if this is not intended to sell products then I don't know what other reason someone would have to go through all this trouble.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 12:51:48 AM
At 8/4/2018 3:59:35 PM, Double_R wrote:

+1

I just looked at the politics forum... it took 28 pages for me to get to my first non-spam post.

I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. By over-spamming the site all they are doing is driving away the audience they are apparently trying to attract. I mean who tf is searching through 28 pages of spam to find something interesting to spend money on? And if this is not intended to sell products then I don't know what other reason someone would have to go through all this trouble.

Well it's either many people or they're bots. Maybe one of those captcha-watcha-mah-call-it things would help. It would be annoying to type in a code all the time to post something, but I think the bots don't know how to read the codes. Not sure though.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 2:18:51 AM
At 8/5/2018 2:13:07 AM, Geographia wrote:
DDOs probably being targeted.

not specifically. It took a long time to reach this point. Different people likely add their bots to thousands of new sites every day, and bots have been coming in here faster than they've been going out, if they have been going out.
"Your signature should not have the name of other players in the game, nor should it have the words VTL, Vote, or Unvote."
~Yraelz, 2017

Debate challenge 'Solipsism is false:' http://www.debate.org...
If God were real... http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 1:51:41 PM
One suggestion only: Captchas on posting
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 1:53:29 PM
At 8/5/2018 12:51:48 AM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

Well it's either many people or they're bots. Maybe one of those captcha-watcha-mah-call-it things would help. It would be annoying to type in a code all the time to post something, but I think the bots don't know how to read the codes. Not sure though.

Captchas these days don't require a manual code. Nowadays they just auto detect bots.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 8:58:05 PM
At 8/5/2018 1:51:41 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Or Airmax has to okay new members.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 9:40:13 PM
Hi folk. I love debate.org and I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about all kinds of things here but what I find discouraging is that the platform seems to be abandoned and not only it attracts all kinds of disgusting spam but some parts of it are simply broken and the development has also stopped.

So at some point I decided that I simply had enough and tried to spend some time creating an alternative, without losing the spirit that we have here. When I got to it, I realised how huge this website is and how much effort must have been put into creating it and it's hard not to appreciate it.

Nevertheless, I still decided to give a life to a new platform and see how it goes so I'd really like your comments and opinions on it. You can check it out on https://www.debateart.com.......

PS It's a really "raw" version, which means that its set of features is extremely limited and even those that are there are implemented in a "naive" way but it's not gonna stay that way for too long :) Please also note that it was deployed a few hours ago and therefore it's pretty much empty, not many users or debates but hopefully it'll change soon. And one more thing, web design is something I have a serious lack of skills in, so don't judge it too much. Anything can easily be changed :)
DebateArt.com - New debating platform. Give it a shot.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 10:04:30 PM
At 8/5/2018 9:40:13 PM, justmichael wrote:
Hi folk. I love debate.org and I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about all kinds of things here but what I find discouraging is that the platform seems to be abandoned and not only it attracts all kinds of disgusting spam but some parts of it are simply broken and the development has also stopped.

So at some point I decided that I simply had enough and tried to spend some time creating an alternative, without losing the spirit that we have here. When I got to it, I realised how huge this website is and how much effort must have been put into creating it and it's hard not to appreciate it.

Nevertheless, I still decided to give a life to a new platform and see how it goes so I'd really like your comments and opinions on it. You can check it out on https://www.debateart.com.......

PS It's a really "raw" version, which means that its set of features is extremely limited and even those that are there are implemented in a "naive" way but it's not gonna stay that way for too long :) Please also note that it was deployed a few hours ago and therefore it's pretty much empty, not many users or debates but hopefully it'll change soon. And one more thing, web design is something I have a serious lack of skills in, so don't judge it too much. Anything can easily be changed :)

That's pretty impressive, justmichael. Knowing practically nothing about web design myself, I would say you spent about 129498509 hours making that!

I'll think about checking it out more later.
justmichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2018 10:07:44 PM
At 8/5/2018 10:04:30 PM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:
At 8/5/2018 9:40:13 PM, justmichael wrote:

That's pretty impressive, justmichael. Knowing practically nothing about web design myself, I would say you spent about 129498509 hours making that!

I'll think about checking it out more later.

Thank you for the kind words! I hope you will like it :)
DebateArt.com - New debating platform. Give it a shot.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 2:31:49 PM
At 8/5/2018 8:58:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/5/2018 1:51:41 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Or Airmax has to okay new members.

Wouldn't need to if there were captchas :O
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 3:18:38 PM
There's a pedophile posting pedophile poems across the site. Can you do something about it?
"Do not accept and evil you can change" - e.lockhart

New debate platform that's basically DDO but without the spam: DebateArt.com
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 3:18:58 PM
There's a pedophile posting pedophile poems across the site. Can you do something about it? Please?

RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 5:03:05 PM
At 8/6/2018 3:18:58 PM, Jhhillman wrote:
There's a pedophile posting pedophile poems across the site. Can you do something about it? Please?

They have been banned. The reporting of them to authorities I don't believe has been done yet and that's not going to be publicly told step-by-step but will involve Juggle itself.
https://www.debateart.com...

Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2018 9:14:01 PM
At 8/6/2018 5:03:05 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

They have been banned. The reporting of them to authorities I don't believe has been done yet and that's not going to be publicly told step-by-step but will involve Juggle itself.

We're relying on Juggle here? No chance they'll do anything. They're the reason this site is dying.

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 12:55:06 AM

+1

They're definitely bots. I just looked at one of the pages and see the same username posted 11 new threads in 48 seconds.

It still doesn't answer what they're trying to accomplish. Like I said, no one is going to fish through hundreds of spam posts looking for something interesting.

I also don't get why the moderators don't in the meantime just stop all new threads until they can install some new safeguards to combat the problem.
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2018 1:44:18 AM
At 8/7/2018 12:55:06 AM, Double_R wrote:

+1

They're definitely bots. I just looked at one of the pages and see the same username posted 11 new threads in 48 seconds.

It still doesn't answer what they're trying to accomplish. Like I said, no one is going to fish through hundreds of spam posts looking for something interesting.

I also don't get why the moderators don't in the meantime just stop all new threads until they can install some new safeguards to combat the problem.

I have a theory based on something Max discussed with me.

They want you to get their pirated stuff etc but their illegal site will never appear high on a google search so they put the link to it on a popular more google-favored site that they know people will see far higher on the list when searching the movie free etc to click.

According to him this batch of 'superbots' are far more malignant and totally independent of the voodoo phoneline people who are real spamming humans who build a one-off bot or two etc and run away hoping someone desperate rings the phone number.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 12:09:40 AM
At 8/7/2018 12:55:06 AM, Double_R wrote:

+1

They want Google searches for these things to lead to their links.

No one has the authority to do that till Juggle intervenes. Juggle is completely apathetic. We're screwed.

Stay dry.
#StandWithBossy

#TheMadmanWasUnbanned
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2018 6:22:43 PM
The pedophile is back. Ban him, and, if possible, arrest him.

OnMargateSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2018 7:14:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/16/2016 5:24:30 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
If you would like to make suggestions regarding site enhancements, or to reports site bugs, please do so here.

Thanks.

Sooooo......

Why was everyone banned again?

- Bossy
ShabShoral Survived The Spampocalypse In My Body
RMTheSupreme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2018 7:17:20 PM
At 8/13/2018 7:14:16 PM, OnMargateSands wrote:
If you would like to make suggestions regarding site enhancements, or to reports site bugs, please do so here.

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

Debate art is owned by a hacker syndicate member who you f*ck*rs fell for. This is the happiest day of my ddo life, I told you so.

Zeichen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2018 8:09:01 PM
At 8/13/2018 7:17:20 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

Debate art is owned by a hacker syndicate member who you f*ck*rs fell for. This is the happiest day of my ddo life, I told you so.

If you suspected the owner of being a hacker, why exactly did you join his site?

(Note: he has not hacked any accounts).
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2018 10:32:51 PM
At 8/13/2018 7:17:20 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2018 10:36:19 PM

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

What's all this about everyone being banned? BTW there are still millions of spam posts. The captcha is the least secure kind and even if the robots can't get past it they can easily just have a human log them in and then they can spampost forever.

JuggleTheGreat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2018 12:31:59 AM
At 8/6/2018 9:14:01 PM, Jhhillman wrote:
At 8/6/2018 5:03:05 PM, RMTheSupreme wrote:

We're relying on Juggle here? No chance they'll do anything. They're the reason this site is dying.

But we purged a lot of spam

Whatever man, I'm just sitting back with thid ad revenue. I bet you're sobbing at how much richer we are.
JuggleTheGreat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2018 12:33:05 AM
At 8/13/2018 10:36:19 PM, Jhhillman wrote:

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

What's all this about everyone being banned? BTW there are still millions of spam posts. The captcha is the least secure kind and even if the robots can't get past it they can easily just have a human log them in and then they can spampost forever.

We literally fixed the spam issue and you guys still complain

Smh, you're jealous at all the ad revenue we get from this website.
Jhhillman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2018 1:45:42 AM
At 8/14/2018 12:33:05 AM, JuggleTheGreat wrote:
At 8/13/2018 10:36:19 PM, Jhhillman wrote:

Thanks.

Sooooo......

- Bossy

We literally fixed the spam issue and you guys still complain

Smh, you're jealous at all the ad revenue we get from this website.

Oh come on. It's not fixed. Look at literally any section of the site. It is not fixed. Also, this problem has been going on for years and you've only done something when the site is literally on it's deathbed. Besides, there are still many other glitches with the site. AND you basically banned all the users. You can't pat yourself on the back fir doing less then the bare minimum. IDK if I'll be banned for this (if I am then f**k you in advance) but I am not the only one with this sentiment. The best thing you can do for DDO at this point is just give the keys to Airmax. BTW if you want I'm happy to debate you on whether your administration has been any good. And if you can me fir dissenting, you're a bad leader for a debate site.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.