Total Posts:95|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why's it always easier to say negative things

FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?
Devilry
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 4:32:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Who knows, mate. Ain't it a dang shame.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 4:58:34 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 4:32:42 PM, Devilry wrote:
Who knows, mate. Ain't it a dang shame.

Where is the love for the fellow DDO members??
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 7:10:25 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 4:58:34 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:32:42 PM, Devilry wrote:
Who knows, mate. Ain't it a dang shame.

Where is the love for the fellow DDO members??

Obviously no love from Inferno, he just called me an idiot LOL
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:29:25 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

Unfortunately your target audience is by definition less likely to hear your message even if they encounter it. Those unwilling to acknowledge their own faults are more like in my oppinion to criticize the faults, or perceived faults, of others, while at the same time less likely to understand the difference between a personal attack and constructive criticism themselves. The tragedy of being so certain you are eighth is that you cut yourself off from further truth.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:41:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:29:25 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

Unfortunately your target audience is by definition less likely to hear your message even if they encounter it. Those unwilling to acknowledge their own faults are more like in my oppinion to criticize the faults, or perceived faults, of others, while at the same time less likely to understand the difference between a personal attack and constructive criticism themselves. The tragedy of being so certain you are eighth is that you cut yourself off from further truth.

Very wise words SecularMerlin!!
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:51:15 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:41:55 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:29:25 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

Unfortunately your target audience is by definition less likely to hear your message even if they encounter it. Those unwilling to acknowledge their own faults are more like in my oppinion to criticize the faults, or perceived faults, of others, while at the same time less likely to understand the difference between a personal attack and constructive criticism themselves. The tragedy of being so certain you are eighth is that you cut yourself off from further truth.

Very wise words SecularMerlin!!

Let's not start giving each other citizens trophies just yet. We still haven't convinced anyone that wasn't already convinced.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 2:29:40 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

kevin24018 you are right, we have lost all manners it seems. back in the 50's and 60's people treated each other with more respect, swearing was bad, you always called people sir, ma'am, people didn't criticize like they do today. An older gentleman would be called sir not bad mouthed by some 17 year old punk, there is no respect for anyone anymore, I think that is why people bash each other on-line even more then in real life, there is no repercussions to what you say. In the old day if you talked like that, the word would travel back to your father and he would get the belt out and you would not be able to sit on your butt for a week after if you spoke like that or mom would wash your mouth out with soap literally. LOL Today there is no respect for mankind
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 2:56:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 2:29:40 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

kevin24018 you are right, we have lost all manners it seems. back in the 50's and 60's people treated each other with more respect, swearing was bad, you always called people sir, ma'am, people didn't criticize like they do today. An older gentleman would be called sir not bad mouthed by some 17 year old punk, there is no respect for anyone anymore, I think that is why people bash each other on-line even more then in real life, there is no repercussions to what you say. In the old day if you talked like that, the word would travel back to your father and he would get the belt out and you would not be able to sit on your butt for a week after if you spoke like that or mom would wash your mouth out with soap literally. LOL Today there is no respect for mankind

nope and the only way to be taken seriously or to be heard is with a fist, knife or gun. People get accused of being a racist over any little thing, the meaning has been desensitized like so many others. There's no shock factor, no shame, it's all too common and now acceptable. So where do you go from there? Up, you raise the bar you must escalate it, hence physical violence over the dumbest of things.
"when everyone's super no one will be" from the movie the Incredibles, think about that. When words have no impact......
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 2:59:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.

society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:19:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

It's very sad, so how do we get back to what we had, how do we get manners and politeness back, how do we get young people to have respect for others, censorship? Education? better parenting? I wonder what is the answer, because I believe people can change, we can be more polite to each other, we don't need to be negative to others, but where do we start?
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:32:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 3:19:56 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

It's very sad, so how do we get back to what we had, how do we get manners and politeness back, how do we get young people to have respect for others, censorship? Education? better parenting? I wonder what is the answer, because I believe people can change, we can be more polite to each other, we don't need to be negative to others, but where do we start?

it's far too late, all you can hope for is to isolate yourself from it, like a gated community. Look at who are considered roll models and you know it's too late, The super sexy and scantly dresses singers, thug criminal sports players, gang mentality, the famous for no good reason, the super rich who flaunt it and to little to help even there own kind. The trash on tv continues to push extremes with language, violence and sex, this makes it all more normal and acceptable. Teen pregnancy, single mothers, drugs blah blah blah, it's circling the drain, the faster the better, might as well just get it over with quickly, why prolong the suffering.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 4:04:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 3:32:03 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:19:56 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

It's very sad, so how do we get back to what we had, how do we get manners and politeness back, how do we get young people to have respect for others, censorship? Education? better parenting? I wonder what is the answer, because I believe people can change, we can be more polite to each other, we don't need to be negative to others, but where do we start?

it's far too late, all you can hope for is to isolate yourself from it, like a gated community. Look at who are considered roll models and you know it's too late, The super sexy and scantly dresses singers, thug criminal sports players, gang mentality, the famous for no good reason, the super rich who flaunt it and to little to help even there own kind. The trash on tv continues to push extremes with language, violence and sex, this makes it all more normal and acceptable. Teen pregnancy, single mothers, drugs blah blah blah, it's circling the drain, the faster the better, might as well just get it over with quickly, why prolong the suffering.

Well I might as well join the Amish.
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 4:08:08 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 4:04:33 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:32:03 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:19:56 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

It's very sad, so how do we get back to what we had, how do we get manners and politeness back, how do we get young people to have respect for others, censorship? Education? better parenting? I wonder what is the answer, because I believe people can change, we can be more polite to each other, we don't need to be negative to others, but where do we start?

it's far too late, all you can hope for is to isolate yourself from it, like a gated community. Look at who are considered roll models and you know it's too late, The super sexy and scantly dresses singers, thug criminal sports players, gang mentality, the famous for no good reason, the super rich who flaunt it and to little to help even there own kind. The trash on tv continues to push extremes with language, violence and sex, this makes it all more normal and acceptable. Teen pregnancy, single mothers, drugs blah blah blah, it's circling the drain, the faster the better, might as well just get it over with quickly, why prolong the suffering.

Well I might as well join the Amish.

they have their problems as well, but I can certainly understand their logic behind the life style, not so sure they are wrong either.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 6:27:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 2:59:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.

society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 6:40:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 6:27:55 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:59:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.

society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.

yes there's always problems, but I see the issues I raised as far worse and common than they use to be. The value of life has and is in a steep decline.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 7:17:06 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.

I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I would have loved to live in the 50's, life was simple, man went to work, made enough money to raise a whole family, gas was cheap so you could drive a big boat of a car, food was cheap and people generally were happy because you worked hard and then you would go home, people had work life balance, there were no traffic jams, no immigration issues, no computers and no tv, people socialized more and weren't glued to their devices. Life was a lot simpler and people were a lot happier back then. Now it's just a big rat race
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 12:58:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 6:40:33 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 6:27:55 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:59:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.

society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.

yes there's always problems, but I see the issues I raised as far worse and common than they use to be. The value of life has and is in a steep decline.

I don't see being a single mother as shameful but segregation is I don't think premarital sex holds a candle to lynch mobs when it comes to immorality. As for the subjective value we place on life, well we value life more now than for most of history. I think when most people speak wistfully about the good old days they are both forgetting how bad the good old days could be, I think there is also a tendency to fail to consider what those days would be like for others. The fifties were not the good old days for women, homosexuals or African Americans.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 1:02:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/3/2018 7:17:06 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.

I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I would have loved to live in the 50's, life was simple, man went to work, made enough money to raise a whole family, gas was cheap so you could drive a big boat of a car, food was cheap and people generally were happy because you worked hard and then you would go home, people had work life balance, there were no traffic jams, no immigration issues, no computers and no tv, people socialized more and weren't glued to their devices. Life was a lot simpler and people were a lot happier back then. Now it's just a big rat race

(Reprint from related post) I think when most people speak wistfully about the good old days they are both forgetting how bad the good old days could be, I think there is also a tendency to fail to consider what those days would be like for others. The fifties were not the good old days for women, homosexuals or African Americans.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
kevin24018
Posts: 6,891
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 1:15:41 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/4/2018 12:58:36 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 6:40:33 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 6:27:55 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:59:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 2:54:26 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/3/2018 1:21:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/3/2018 3:09:55 AM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:37:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 9:33:21 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:52:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:18:28 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 1/2/2018 8:05:01 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 1/2/2018 4:29:01 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Why do we always say negative things when replying to posts? Why bother insulting someone, rarely do we see words of encouragement or likes for topics or peoples opinions. Everyone is different and everyone has different views on things, so why do we always bash the person in our replies. Why don't we just ignore the post if we don't have anything positive to say?

I wonder why that is? Are we so hateful and angry as a society that we can't offer a word of encouragement or positive mentions, it just has to be "you are an idiot, or you are a troll, or you are stupid" Why do we always have to insult? Why is that?

It is my natural tendency to reply to posts that I disagree with or that contain logical fallacies. I try to admit when I think I am wrong and also to admit and concede to strong arguments. This probably doesn't happen as often as I like to think it does and certainly doesn't happen as often as some other members would like. Not sure if I fully answered your question but that is my two cents.

I agree with you and this is a debate site and I believe in constructive criticism but at the same time I think some people just like to do the drive by trolling and just enter a statement like "No you are a moron" or "You are completely wrong idiot" I don't think that is constructive criticism or any type of debate, it's more like bullying.

I think people can have polar opposite views without all the negative criticism, just because someone doesn't agree with you does that make them an idiot??

when logic and facts aren't on your side it seems to be the natural course of things, admitting the possibility that the other person is right, is out of the question!

You hit the nail right on the head, that is exactly what people think, if it doesn't agree with their point of view, the other person must be a moron or an idiot.

Very insensitive, boorish society I have to say. I mean, I joke around with people too about being nerds or whatever, but if it's their choice who cares, who am I to tell them how to run their lives or what they think.

Well liberals think they can so here we are. Canada is doing it already, lots of buzz about a college worker who recorded her meeting when she got a talking too. Now they are trying to back track big time so they don't look like the fascist they are. Which fascist is the go to word along with racist, homophone, xenophobe blah blah blah. Imo that pretty much started the downward spiral we are in.

Are you certain you have understood the point of this thread? Because it could be argued that it is somewhat ironic for you to make the claim that the problem is with liberals or fascists, with Canadians or Americans, with xenophobes or the girl scouts. This is not a this or that problem it is a human problem.

it's the reasons why I react like I do at times, your mileage may differ.
But you must go further back in history. To a time when getting pregnant without being married was shameful, having sex w/o marriage, etc. Calling someone a jerk or idiot was a major insult, now it's in everyday common speak. We've become desensitized to it all and it's far to easy and common to use, curse words as well. What's left? violence. This is where the bar has been raised to.

Each generation thinks itself smarter than the one before and wiser than the one after. Shifting attitudes don't bring down nations time does. Also while I don't condone violence there has always been and will always be violence. That never seems to change.

society keeps changing what is acceptable. look at tv and movies compared to the 50's we preach morality and condemn those whom we think aren't moral but society doesn't practice what it preaches by any stretch. The moral decay of society has lead us to this point and continues to spiral down the toilet. We shouldn't expect anything better or better behavior of our fellow man, why would we?
other people's lives have no value anymore.

In the fifties discrimination was a far more serious problem so perhaps you are viewing this time through somewhat rose tinting? Society has never really been great at practicing what it preached and as for moral decay that is a matter of oppinion. I don't expect to much from people though since they are only human.

yes there's always problems, but I see the issues I raised as far worse and common than they use to be. The value of life has and is in a steep decline.

I don't see being a single mother as shameful but segregation is I don't think premarital sex holds a candle to lynch mobs when it comes to immorality. As for the subjective value we place on life, well we value life more now than for most of history. I think when most people speak wistfully about the good old days they are both forgetting how bad the good old days could be, I think there is also a tendency to fail to consider what those days would be like for others. The fifties were not the good old days for women, homosexuals or African Americans.

you are missing the point, the level of respect shown to another person is going way down to what it once was, using titles like "sir" or "miss" etc we have become very informal and disrespectful. It's obvious by what people post on face book, how children talk to their parents and act. They eventually grow up to be criminals lol We've all seen videos of how kids talk to teachers and act in school, that was unheard of when I was that age. There's no time period that perfect, that's not the point.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 2:13:45 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
. The fifties were not the good old days for women, homosexuals or African Americans.

You are right, you have valid points there, and maybe I see it differently because I'm not a woman, homosexual, or African American (even thought Inferno thinks I am). Each one of us has a different idea of what a good generation was, for me I would still love to live in the 50's, that is my best time I picture, the Leave it To Beaver times of black and white TV, new beginnings after WWII, America prospering and everyone (at least white men) prospering and living the simple life. That's what I miss the vanilla proper, no swearing polite man in suit saying good morning after a casual drive into the office without any traffic jams and then coming home to read the newspaper and have a nice meal with family that your wife made. That's all
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 6,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 2:20:00 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
you are missing the point, the level of respect shown to another person is going way down to what it once was, using titles like "sir" or "miss" etc we have become very informal and disrespectful. It's obvious by what people post on face book, how children talk to their parents and act. They eventually grow up to be criminals lol We've all seen videos of how kids talk to teachers and act in school, that was unheard of when I was that age. There's no time period that perfect, that's not the point.

kevin24018 I know exactly what you are saying and I agree with you 100%. People today have no respect for others, young people are so rude now, just last week I held a coffee in one hand and a sandwich in the other hand coming out of a shop and I saw about 12 young students coming in, I held the door open with my foot for them because my hands were full and I saw them coming, can you believe not one of the 12 even said thank you, they just walked past me while I stood balancing on one foot holding the door for these ungrateful punks while they moped in with their hands in their pockets. This is what I'm talking about, nobody is teaching these punks today manners, I don't even think they know what that is.