Jump to topic:

media bias.

GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2017 3:18:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Has the Washington Post always been rabidly Republican or is it just besotted with Trump? From the stories I've read in the Post lately it seems every Trump utterance is a sermon worthy of The Mount. What will they report when the Beatific One reduces the country and citizens of North Korea to smouldering ash without a mandate from the U.N. or the support of any NATO member. America will become on a par with Russia. China is already seen as an alternative to the bullying U.S.
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2017 9:23:19 PM
At 9/20/2017 3:18:44 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
Has the Washington Post always been rabidly Republican or is it just besotted with Trump? From the stories I've read in the Post lately it seems every Trump utterance is a sermon worthy of The Mount. What will they report when the Beatific One reduces the country and citizens of North Korea to smouldering ash without a mandate from the U.N. or the support of any NATO member. America will become on a par with Russia. China is already seen as an alternative to the bullying U.S.

WaPo is very liberal.
Rest in Peace, Lannan13. You will be missed.

"I didn't spend much time talking to Lannan, and I wish I had. He was a chill guy. Really kind, too. Not once did I ever see him get angry. Lannan and Anger were polar opposites, never coming in contact." -Mharman
_______________________________________________________________________________________

A category 7 hurricane of spam has struck DDO. It is advised to go to the nearest nuclear bomb shelter. The outside threads have been decimated.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2017 12:28:10 AM
At 9/25/2017 9:23:19 PM, Mharman wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

And very lax in its fact checking. When I say it is biased in favour of the Trumpinator I don't just base it on its very pro Donnie reports. There is a report in the latest (for me) issue you might like to ponder. The report mostly concerns Muhammad Ali's illness which is described as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This is untrue and Ali's doctors were emphatic about this. The Great Man had Parkinsons as all but the Post know. What the report does is lead us into very strange territory. As we know the Trumpinator is having a hissy fit with N.F.L. players over Donnies right to order everybody to do as he tells them, when he tells them and how he tells them. This isn't going down very well with the players. What if His Beatitude is right and all those players are wrong? Wrong because they are brain damaged. Every one of them. The Post's report offers the theory that every single N.F.L. player has C.T.E. and is therefore brain damaged. Of course mental impairment is the only possible explanation for the players obviously wrong actions isn't it? Not biased. You are joking I trust.
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2017 12:41:57 PM
At 9/26/2017 12:28:10 AM, GrimlyF wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

And very lax in its fact checking. When I say it is biased in favour of the Trumpinator

WaPo is very anti-Trump, actually.

"I didn't spend much time talking to Lannan, and I wish I had. He was a chill guy. Really kind, too. Not once did I ever see him get angry. Lannan and Anger were polar opposites, never coming in contact." -Mharman
_______________________________________________________________________________________

A category 7 hurricane of spam has struck DDO. It is advised to go to the nearest nuclear bomb shelter. The outside threads have been decimated.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2017 2:31:01 PM
At 9/26/2017 12:41:57 PM, Mharman wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

And very lax in its fact checking. When I say it is biased in favour of the Trumpinator

No it isn't. I may live in a different country but spinning a report is the same the world over. I read 3-4 American papers every day and I watch the newscasts on at least 3 different channels and have done for years. The English B.B.C. has been in conflict with the British Conservative government for over 5yrs and if you are aware of that fact it is easy to tell when the Beeb skew something to their, or the Labour parties advantage.
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2017 8:26:43 PM
At 9/26/2017 2:31:01 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

No it isn't. I may live in a different country but spinning a report is the same the world over. I read 3-4 American papers every day and I watch the newscasts on at least 3 different channels and have done for years. The English B.B.C. has been in conflict with the British Conservative government for over 5yrs and if you are aware of that fact it is easy to tell when the Beeb skew something to their, or the Labour parties advantage.

How blind can you be? Although they've made several articles about Trump, they bash him in just about every single one. They even added a "liberty dies in darkness" quote to their home page in response to Trump winning.

HairlessApe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2017 1:02:10 AM

Are you sure you're not confusing the W-Post with the W-Times?
One could surely argue that the Buddhist tradition, taken as a whole, represents the richest source of contemplative wisdom that any civilization has produced. -Sam Harris
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2017 3:53:49 AM
At 9/26/2017 8:26:43 PM, Mharman wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

How blind can you be? Although they've made several articles about Trump, they bash him in just about every single one. They even added a "liberty dies in darkness" quote to their home page in response to Trump winning.

Then explain why they would run a report heavily insinuating Trumps N.F.L.opponents are, to a man, brain damaged. Why, the day after the speech, was the Post the only one of 5 random U.S. newspapers to say the world backed Trump in his speech about dropping Nukes on N.Korea when the complete opposite is true.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2017 9:10:38 PM
At 9/27/2017 1:02:10 AM, HairlessApe wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing the W-Post with the W-Times?

I haven't read the Times for about a week so I will catch up with it. It was the Post that ran the C.T.E. report and it was current when I wrote about it. Mharman could have Googled it himself and read it.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2017 9:27:07 PM
At 9/26/2017 8:26:43 PM, Mharman wrote:

WaPo is very liberal.

Actually the line is "Democracy Dies in Darkness". According to the chief exec of the Post it was planned a full year before the Trumpinator was a twinkle in the eye of the Primary's. "How blind can I be"? Even a rat leaves a sinking ship. The Post will, like all 'papers print what brings in the money. Loyalty is not a great attribute in our Media.
HairlessApe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2017 2:55:55 PM
Well I'm going to throw my opinion out there about the Corporate media.

Yes, they do chase and report on stories that will capture reader attention. That does not necessarily indicate that the stories presented are false. Do they make mistakes and then squirrel away the corrections on some back page? Sure.

I generally seek out several sources on any controversial story. Problem solved.
One could surely argue that the Buddhist tradition, taken as a whole, represents the richest source of contemplative wisdom that any civilization has produced. -Sam Harris
Flatlander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2017 5:54:55 PM
At 9/28/2017 2:55:55 PM, HairlessApe wrote:

Yes, they do chase and report on stories that will capture reader attention. That does not necessarily indicate that the stories presented are false. Do they make mistakes and then squirrel away the corrections on some back page? Sure.

I generally seek out several sources on any controversial story. Problem solved.

This is basically what you always need to do.
Everyone is biased, every story will be told through the lens of the person telling it.

One person will be yelling about how Trump left everyone's cup half empty. And the other person will be praising Trump for filling up everyone's cup halfway.
(The cup is half full, or half empty argument in political terms)
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2017 12:54:16 PM
At 9/28/2017 2:55:55 PM, HairlessApe wrote:

You are fortunate to live in a country that has many news outlets but what if you only have one?.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2017 11:19:44 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
1 Law for the B.B.C. and another for the rest of us. When is the Beeb going to name the 25 people it employs who have been accused of sexual harassment?.Hiding it in the entertainment section of its news Index and not shouting out the news as it has done in every other case for the past month shows the hypocritical nature of the B.B.C. Board of Trustees. The Beeb says it is " investigating " but surely like those others that have been subject to unproven accusations they should resign immediately.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2017 11:47:21 AM
I have just watched a tediously long (15mins) report on the B.B.C. of how the heinous British Government has cut the bereavement benefit paid to newly widowed people in the U.K. and what awful hardship this will cause. So why is there no mention of this on the online news sites of any of the available (2) services including the B.B.C.?. This so-important-it-warrants-a-15min-report is not worthy of even a mention on it's own news website?. Why have a talking head from a widows charity on but not a single representative of the government?. Mr. Murdoch has said he will cancel the Sky News service in exchange for his grab at buying the Sky business. This will leave Britain with only 1 news service. The B.B.C. God Help Us.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2017 1:33:32 PM
At 11/17/2017 11:47:21 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
I have just watched a tediously long (15mins) report on the B.B.C. of how the heinous British Government has cut the bereavement benefit paid to newly widowed people in the U.K. and what awful hardship this will cause. So why is there no mention of this on the online news sites of any of the available (2) services including the B.B.C.?. This so-important-it-warrants-a-15min-report is not worthy of even a mention on it's own news website?. Why have a talking head from a widows charity on but not a single representative of the government?. Mr. Murdoch has said he will cancel the Sky News service in exchange for his grab at buying the Sky business. This will leave Britain with only 1 news service. The B.B.C. God Help Us.

And this effects me how?