Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Let's discuss this Ben Shapiro saying.

KJVPrewrather
Posts: 227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.
Philosophy101
Posts: 2,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2017 7:32:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.

You realize that you contradicted yourself, right? Ben is being hyperrational while you are making an emotional appeal. Those two things do not coincide.
KJVPrewrather
Posts: 227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2017 8:36:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 7:32:40 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.

You realize that you contradicted yourself, right? Ben is being hyperrational while you are making an emotional appeal. Those two things do not coincide.
That's your opion.
Philosophy101
Posts: 2,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2017 8:48:54 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 8:36:51 PM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
At 12/7/2017 7:32:40 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.

You realize that you contradicted yourself, right? Ben is being hyperrational while you are making an emotional appeal. Those two things do not coincide.
That's your opion.

Naw, man - it"s a fact.
KJVPrewrather
Posts: 227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2017 9:04:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 8:48:54 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 12/7/2017 8:36:51 PM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
At 12/7/2017 7:32:40 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.

You realize that you contradicted yourself, right? Ben is being hyperrational while you are making an emotional appeal. Those two things do not coincide.
That's your opion.

Naw, man - it"s a fact.

Prove it, and use proper grammar!
CookieMonster9
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2017 10:02:17 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meaning.

I don't think he means this at all. Ben Shapiro debates many topics, which can usually be split up into either religious or social. When Ben says this quote I don't think he is referencing religion at all, he uses this quote mainly with his transgender argument, the fact that a male is a male and a female is a female doesn't care about the feelings that the person has, the feelings being the person that feels like they are the other gender and should be treated as such.
School doesn't give me the full knowledge that I wish to receive, that is why I am here. I wish to discuss topics with people that will strengthen eachother's minds and in the end make us smarter than we were before.

-CookieMonster9
sometimes_smart
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2017 12:52:12 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/7/2017 7:05:05 AM, KJVPrewrather wrote:
The facts don't care about your feelings. -Ben Shapiro
I agree with this quote because to find love, and other religious/spiritual/emotional things, one needs to turn to their respective God and religious text to find spiritual answers to find meanining.

(To premise this, I want to define objective truth, or as it will relate to the subject, objective meaning. An objective meaning would a meaning that is true independent of individual thought or experience, which is binding despite current conditions. In other words, the facts don't care about your feelings.)

Let me see if I understand you. It looks like you are claiming religious pluralism in a sense that every religion is a valid way to arrive at the meaning life; however, there is ultimately no objective meaning. But at first glance, I cannot for the life of me see how you apply this quote to your belief; furthermore, it looks like you say that whichever religion you feel is true, is true, regardless of fact.In other words, it is your feelings towards a religion which validate it, not the facts. To illustrate, imagine that one religion states the meaning of life is to love all people, but another religion states that the higher the kill count, the more meaningful the life. These are contradictory, but if meaning is subjective, than neither can be condemned. The bottom line is that any religion can describe the meaning of life; however, that does not mean that it is not mistaken.

Now, the issue with your statement is that you made a claim grounded in pluralistic ideas. You cannot logically affirm objective meaning within pluralism, which forces you to affirm subjectivity. And in the end, subjectivity is grounded in feelings, not facts. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you, but I do not see how you logically apply this quote to your belief.
Sometimes I am smart, and sometimes I am not.
Vanamali
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2017 2:52:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/10/2017 12:52:12 AM, sometimes_smart wrote:
(To premise this, I want to define objective truth, or as it will relate to the subject, objective meaning. An objective meaning would a meaning that is true independent of individual thought or experience, which is binding despite current conditions. In other words, the facts don't care about your feelings.)

Let me see if I understand you. It looks like you are claiming religious pluralism in a sense that every religion is a valid way to arrive at the meaning life; however, there is ultimately no objective meaning. But at first glance, I cannot for the life of me see how you apply this quote to your belief; furthermore, it looks like you say that whichever religion you feel is true, is true, regardless of fact.In other words, it is your feelings towards a religion which validate it, not the facts. To illustrate, imagine that one religion states the meaning of life is to love all people, but another religion states that the higher the kill count, the more meaningful the life. These are contradictory, but if meaning is subjective, than neither can be condemned. The bottom line is that any religion can describe the meaning of life; however, that does not mean that it is not mistaken.

Now, the issue with your statement is that you made a claim grounded in pluralistic ideas. You cannot logically affirm objective meaning within pluralism, which forces you to affirm subjectivity. And in the end, subjectivity is grounded in feelings, not facts. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you, but I do not see how you logically apply this quote to your belief.

Is there anything that is NOT subjective? For all we know we could be living in a computer simulation - all that you see and hear is all fake, not real. You could very well be a head in a jar for all you know

Regarding religions - all religions should be respected - that is what she is saying. Treat others as you would would like to be treated. You respect your beliefs, do the same with other beliefs - not that you have to agree with all their beliefs or opinions