Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Definition of the word miracle.

SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 7:51:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I am interested in two things for the purposes of this thread. How do you define a miracle and how do you tell it from a natural occurance or coincidence.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Vanamali
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2017 3:31:34 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/23/2017 7:51:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I am interested in two things for the purposes of this thread. How do you define a miracle and how do you tell it from a natural occurance or coincidence.

There is no difference - which is why miracles are confined to religious books. The weak and the lazy are especially drawn to magic and miracles because why do the hard work when one can solve problems by just twitching our noses or saying abracadabra? In real life we know that there are no miracles - we know if we want something done we have to work for it & that is where we lose the weak and lazy

Sad to say that religious books are filled with tales of magic and miracles - shows how far we have come as people

But there is a rational down-to-earth reason for such beliefs - as kids we do not understand the world - a child is taken to a ice-cream store, mommy says tell the nice man what you want & he just gives it to you! magic!
Santa brings presents! magic!
How money is made, how we pay for things is beyond the comprehension of little kids and we fill in the blanks with magic and miracle
logicwand
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2017 6:00:35 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I think the word "miracle" describes any phenomenon that cannot be explained, whether by religion (mysticism) or by science. Obviously science cannot explain everything that occurs in our natural world, though we like to think it will, if it can't already. "Miracle" also has the connotation of being something positive and advantageous, which differentiates it from something catastrophic that is equally inexplicable. Though people may disagree that there is such a thing as a miracle, I think linguistically it has a meaningful place in our language.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 6:26:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Vanamali and logicwand, I would be quite interested in seeing a conversation between you. I invite you to discuss weather or not the word miracle has value when discussing natural phenomenon, if that is your both think the subject has value.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Waterborne
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 9:21:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM, Waterborne wrote:
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".

So for you it is merely a descriptive word synonymous with rare?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Waterborne
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 9:55:06 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/25/2017 9:21:05 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM, Waterborne wrote:
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".

So for you it is merely a descriptive word synonymous with rare?
It is a romanticized version of the word "rare".
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 9:57:08 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/25/2017 9:55:06 PM, Waterborne wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:21:05 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM, Waterborne wrote:
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".

So for you it is merely a descriptive word synonymous with rare?
It is a romanticized version of the word "rare".

I think I agree, but just to be sure what do you mean when you say romanticized?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Waterborne
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 10:05:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/25/2017 9:57:08 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:55:06 PM, Waterborne wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:21:05 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM, Waterborne wrote:
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".

So for you it is merely a descriptive word synonymous with rare?
It is a romanticized version of the word "rare".

I think I agree, but just to be sure what do you mean when you say romanticized?

Of, characterized by, or suggestive of an idealized view of reality.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 7,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2017 10:12:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 12/25/2017 10:05:56 PM, Waterborne wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:57:08 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:55:06 PM, Waterborne wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:21:05 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 12/25/2017 9:07:24 PM, Waterborne wrote:
There is more than one definition connotatively as far as I'm concerned.

In non-"paranormal" real-life, it is an explained or unexplained extremely improbable event occurring.

Anywhere else, add the words "or impossible".

So for you it is merely a descriptive word synonymous with rare?
It is a romanticized version of the word "rare".

I think I agree, but just to be sure what do you mean when you say romanticized?

Of, characterized by, or suggestive of an idealized view of reality.

Okay thank you for your input. I believe that I agree with you.j
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol