Chase200mph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 9:21:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 1/31/2013 8:33:02 PM, Apeiron wrote:
At 1/31/2013 7:10:12 PM, Chase200mph wrote:

God isn't reached as the basis for morals by what he does, but rather who he is: by definition God is worthy of worship, not because of any duty he fulfilled, but rather because of his axiological perfection. God is by definition the greatest conceivable being, so that if you were to conceive of something greater then THAT would be God. So it follows that, ontologically, God is the maximally great being. And since it's greater to be good rather than just exemplify it, then it follows that God is good. But since God is the maximally great being, then it follows that therefore if he is good, then by virtue of his nature, he's maximally good- the greatest good. This is what we mean by God.

If I accept that your statement, it and you are now left out in the cold with your god. If god is by definition is moral, then by definition his morals (this definition) is described by and through the bible which exhibits NO definition of this morality, as the bible and these definitions are morally bankrupt because of SAME contradictions, I"ve already mentioned.

I'm not arguing for and nor am I interested in, the doctrine of biblical inerrancy. I gave a natural theology definition of God, the ontologically maximally great being. This definition holds regardless of our epistemology of what constitutes great making properties. Nevertheless, it seems that the property of "all good" is one such property, and so therefore one can reasonably ascribe this maximally great being with the property of being all good. For clearly it's greater to be good than not.

"and what do you offer to suggest such an absurdity, for I am far greater than your god has even been. Your conditional statement does NOT equal an argument, it has no premise because it has no valid inference and the only support you offer is found with you begging the question through your conclusion.

First, I highly doubt that you're greater than a necessarily existing being, for I can conceive of possible worlds in which you don't exist, say, a world where only singularities exist whose creation is contingent upon God's creating such black holes. Clearly then you would have the property of existence, but God would. Also, it seems by the violation of the principle of charity in reading my post, you clearly fail to have the property of being all good- not to mention the fact that you're obviously not an all knower either, another such property that's reasonably ascribed to God.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the Weak minded, petty, ignorant Christian god. LOL! What god means to you (or anyone else) is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the existence of god who only exists through your dial worship of the bible which clearly describes an inferior being.

Again, no one is discussing the doctrine of biblical inerrancy here. God has been defined as a maximally great being, this is what we have to work with. And It seems to me that having the property of being all good is reasonably a great making property, and so God, as the greatest being, has this property unless you can show that all goodness is not in fact a great making property.

By the way, providing evidence of my superiority over your god would be easy. I can start with genesis and work my through your whole bible.

Again, biblical inerrancy is irrelevant, I'd like to know one 'great making property' that you would "easily" have that's over and above the properties of a maximally great being?

m not arguing for and nor am I interested in, the doctrine of biblical inerrancy. I gave a natural theology definition of God, the ontologically maximally great being.

Answer: No, no you didn"t, your depiction is far from neutral as many religions come nowhere near your depiction, your depiction was Judean/Christian/Islamic based. Try NOT using caps when you spell god fro starters". : )

This definition holds regardless of our epistemology of what constitutes great making properties.

Answer: Many gods are manifest of the actions of man and are NOT a part of a scope based in knowledge of what they who and are".

Nevertheless, it seems that the property of "all good" is one such property, and so therefore one can reasonably ascribe this maximally great being with the property of being all good. For clearly it's greater to be good than not.

Answer: The properties of god is not being able to distinguish between this good as there is no evil or bad".because these properties don"t exist except as manifestation of perception of man. So again, your description is Judean/Christian/Islamic and such".

First, I highly doubt that you're greater than a necessarily existing being, for I can conceive of possible worlds in which you don't exist, say, a world where only singularities exist whose creation is contingent upon God's creating such black holes. Clearly then you would have the property of existence, but God would. Also, it seems by the violation of the principle of charity in reading my post, you clearly fail to have the property of being all good- not to mention the fact that you're obviously not an all knower either, another such property that's reasonably ascribed to God.

Answer: All good"LOL! What makes you believe a god has to be all good, all knowing, all powerful".as no man has ever described such a being which is clearly Christian based in your mind.

Again, no one is discussing the doctrine of biblical inerrancy here. God has been defined as a maximally great being, this is what we have to work with. And It seems to me that having the property of being all good is reasonably a great making property, and so God, as the greatest being, has this property unless you can show that all goodness is not in fact a great making property.

Answer: Inerrancy, what about complete contradiction existing in ONLY error and nothing more! Killing is bad unless it is good, murder is bad unless it is good, love is bad unless it is good, genocide is bad unless it is good, same sex is bad unless you are female, honor thy Mother and Father less they kill you, honor me more than your M other and Father less I (god) kill you, if you love me you will murder, god has NOT ever been defined as great being, man has claimed otherwise and that is where it ends"in failure. "and failure to define god let alone "good "does NOT define a god of great good or any good a god might be.
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.