johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:23:20 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/1/2013 1:36:59 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 3/1/2013 12:24:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I believe that was a general "justified", as in, if you ignore arguments against your position completely, but hold on to your position nonetheless, you are not justified in holding that position.

It was a nice way of saying that you're being stupid.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant, though I didn't mean it as a concealed insult.

You didn't have the balls to say it yourself you wimp .And for the record I think you are stupid also.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:24:29 AM
At 3/1/2013 4:50:21 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 3/1/2013 1:36:59 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 3/1/2013 12:24:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I believe that was a general "justified", as in, if you ignore arguments against your position completely, but hold on to your position nonetheless, you are not justified in holding that position.

It was a nice way of saying that you're being stupid.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant, though I didn't mean it as a concealed insult.

I didn't think it was that bad of an insult. Perhaps "dumb" would have been a better adjective, I suppose? I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Flippant, yes, but for criminy's sake, johnlubba's response is clearly unbalanced.

You would think it better if I was there to bitch slap you.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 2:27:00 AM
At 3/1/2013 5:12:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/1/2013 12:46:08 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 3/1/2013 12:40:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/28/2013 9:19:52 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/28/2013 3:15:20 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/27/2013 4:16:03 PM, muzebreak wrote:
John, what is you definition of atheism?

My definition of atheism is a lack or absence of belief in God, which is stupid, it's not as if I lack or have absence of a belief in pink unicorns.

Ok, so we agree on the definition. Now the reason atheism is not stupid, is because, unlike unicorns, 90% of humanity believe in god. As such, it is necesarry to have word for people who do not.

Now, how is it that the lack of a belief in god has caused these atrocities?

Are you gonna answer this question John?

Because those who lack a belief in God and held no beleif, ie atheist, punished tortured killed and imprisioned those who did.......Why isn't that understandable.....

If a group of black people kil a group of white peoplesimply because they are white...isn't that a racist attack...??? Of course not all black people all over the world are accountable...but those that were killed simply because of a difference in colour...in the other case it was because of a difference of opinion. atheists tortured the theists.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You believe that these people, being atheists, decided to kill all those who were not atheist, so as to have a purely atheist country.

I believe the issue here, is that you don't want to look past the atheism. You just see the atheism, and miss completely, the Stalinism that actually caused this. A good analogy for this situation would be if there were a group of whites killing blacks, and you were simply saying that they were killing these black people because they aren't white. But in actuality, they were doing it because the black people did not conform to their political idelogue.

You have to understand, while the fact that these people were religious was the reason they were killed. This is not the same as not being atheist.

Atheists can be religious to, and a religious atheist would have been killed just the same.

It isn't atheism vs theism, it's Stalinism vs religion.

No......It's non believers killing and torturing and singleing out believers. Under the name of stalinsim. But it is what it is. Believers being punished for their beliefs by those who don't believe. Atheistsic.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:06:53 AM
At 3/3/2013 2:27:00 AM, johnlubba wrote:

My definition of atheism is a lack or absence of belief in God, which is stupid, it's not as if I lack or have absence of a belief in pink unicorns.

Ok, so we agree on the definition. Now the reason atheism is not stupid, is because, unlike unicorns, 90% of humanity believe in god. As such, it is necesarry to have word for people who do not.

Because those who lack a belief in God and held no beleif, ie atheist, punished tortured killed and imprisioned those who did.......Why isn't that understandable.....

If a group of black people kil a group of white peoplesimply because they are white...isn't that a racist attack...??? Of course not all black people all over the world are accountable...but those that were killed simply because of a difference in colour...in the other case it was because of a difference of opinion. atheists tortured the theists.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You believe that these people, being atheists, decided to kill all those who were not atheist, so as to have a purely atheist country.

I believe the issue here, is that you don't want to look past the atheism. You just see the atheism, and miss completely, the Stalinism that actually caused this. A good analogy for this situation would be if there were a group of whites killing blacks, and you were simply saying that they were killing these black people because they aren't white. But in actuality, they were doing it because the black people did not conform to their political idelogue.

You have to understand, while the fact that these people were religious was the reason they were killed. This is not the same as not being atheist.

Atheists can be religious to, and a religious atheist would have been killed just the same.

No......It's non believers killing and torturing and singleing out believers. Under the name of stalinsim. But it is what it is. Believers being punished for their beliefs by those who don't believe. Atheistsic.

And what evidence do you have that it was not simply Stalinists killing the religious? What evidence do you have, that your view of this is the correct one.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:29:24 AM
At 3/3/2013 6:06:53 AM, muzebreak wrote:

And what evidence do you have that it was not simply Stalinists killing the religious? What evidence do you have, that your view of this is the correct one.

Believers and those of faith were killed and tortured simply because they held religious beliefs.......Who were they killed by?? Oh yeah that's right non believers, or those who wished to establish a nation of non believers, as opposed to believers. You can call it stalinist or communisim as I have already stated, they are just political denominations, the fact of the matter is....Believers were killed slaughtered and tortured because of their beliefs, by non believers or those against beliefs.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:57:24 AM
At 3/3/2013 8:29:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 3/3/2013 6:06:53 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Believers and those of faith were killed and tortured simply because they held religious beliefs.......Who were they killed by?? Oh yeah that's right non believers, or those who wished to establish a nation of non believers, as opposed to believers. You can call it stalinist or communisim as I have already stated, they are just political denominations, the fact of the matter is....Believers were killed slaughtered and tortured because of their beliefs, by non believers or those against beliefs.

In other words, you're going to believe what you want to believe, regardless of the truth.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:17:40 PM
At 3/1/2013 2:14:32 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/1/2013 1:34:39 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 3/1/2013 1:13:57 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
No. We do not agree. Agnostics, for example, are a sect of atheists

This is categorically false.

To be a theist, one must have faith in a deity. Agnostics do not have faith. They are therefore atheist. They simply self-identify as something other than what they are.

Agnosticism as the position that knowledge of the existence of God is unattainable, is not mutually exclusive with theism.

The Theist says 'I Believe'
The Agnostic says 'I cannot know'

(neither have faith in a deity, and are therefore atheist by definition, but are different in practice and self-identification...thus, sects)

Then you might be surprised to learn that there is such a thing as Agnostic Theism.

http://www.answers.com...

http://educatheist.files.wordpress.com...

I'm aware they exist. I'm also aware of CatDog (who I assume, as a cat, poops out of the dog mouth side, and vice versa). The term is an oxymoron. The people who identify as such are simply morons.

Not at all. I think perhaps you have a different understanding of what an agnostic is.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.