Jump to topic:

Theists, Please Explain

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 9:32:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We are on the verge of witnessing one of the worst humanitarian catastrophes in modern times, in Africa.

What is God doing about it?
Kagegaara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 10:53:55 AM
At 3/11/2017 9:32:20 AM, Willows wrote:
We are on the verge of witnessing one of the worst humanitarian catastrophes in modern times, in Africa.

Nothing He hasn't done already. The saviour(Jesus) has been sent and died for us, whatever happens next is known. The time will come for his return then all these deaths and suffering will end forever. You have the chance to enjoy those times if you want.
God bless
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 11:10:27 AM
At 3/11/2017 10:53:55 AM, Kagegaara wrote:

Nothing He hasn't done already. The saviour(Jesus) has been sent and died for us, whatever happens next is known. The time will come for his return then all these deaths and suffering will end forever. You have the chance to enjoy those times if you want.
God bless

hahahahahahahahaha
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 11:16:06 AM

God bless

And what has He done already, apart from let it happen?

And while you are at it, take a look at this:
http://www.debate.org...
KwLm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 12:33:41 PM

God bless

Not proven to have ever happened, and how can a person return from being dead, explain that one. And if whatever happens next is known then there is no such thing as free will if it's already known is there?
"Plus every unfortunate and bad things happens to us in reality are good for us" --- Abeer
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 2:31:20 PM

The real question should be what you're doing about it.

God and Devil are within us, so it's up to us which one rules our lives.

Which one do you identify with the most, Mr. Willows?

BR
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 4:00:13 PM

You say God is imaginary. So what have YOU done about it?

Here are some more questions idiots like you always dodge.

Why do you think God should do something about it???
Why do you think He hasn't?
What responsibility do YOU have to doing something about it?

I live in Africa, and first,

Africa is a continent, not a country. It has more than 60 countries on it.
Some of these countries have no fighting, famine, or violence. people live in peace and are happy.

Everyday I see hundreds of Christians who come here to help. Doctors, teachers, farmers, etc. They come on their own dime and give of their time and knowledge. They are saving lives, opening hospitals, schools, farms, and homes. There are thousands here. I know many of them. What are YOU doing?

Other than sitting on your fake high horse raining down crocodile tears on us, what are you doing?

you believe God does not exist, and you have no responsibility to Him, but here you are, asking what He's done while you eat pizza and play another round of WOW.

Hypocrite.
Goldtop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 4:40:36 PM

I heard my neighbor yelling at God the other day because he lost his car keys, but soon after yelling he found them and thanked God. I think God is too busy with other things.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:04:26 PM

https://youtu.be...
Kagegaara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:04:53 PM
At 3/11/2017 12:33:41 PM, KwLm wrote:

God bless

Not proven to have ever happened, and how can a person return from being dead, explain that one. And if whatever happens next is known then there is no such thing as free will if it's already known is there?
If you are telling me that you don't have free will, I take your words for it.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:13:05 PM

Can you be more specific?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:13:21 PM

Which part of africa?
Kagegaara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:38:03 PM
At 3/11/2017 11:16:06 AM, Willows wrote:

God bless

And what has He done already, apart from let it happen?

And while you are at it, take a look at this:
http://www.debate.org...

This is a finding I am not aware of. Thanks for linking me to this and I will act accordingly. I was born into the religion and stopped practicing 6 years ago in search of my way and yet I can't associate myself with other religions beside JW.
My mom was victim of abuse by my father (yes they were both JW) and she reported the acts to the church and they tried what they could to sort things out but eventually had to go to court for a divorce.
In all institutions they is a hierarchy of authorities to contact when a problem arise and that's what she did. No JW here(where I live) are molesting and/or allowing their child to be molested under the say that there need to be two witnesses before action is taken to stop it.
As for what the authorities have to do to stop the said "fact" the court is always an option. I can assure you these JW will not refuse to attend.
This is beside the topic but i couldn't post my view there(no idea why)
God bless.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 5:54:56 PM

Willows I point out... It was the persecution of Christians two thousand years ago that forced them to spread out thus spreading the message about Jesus.. Now to all parts of the world!

The Muslims today are another example.. Forced to move means their religion also moves!
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 7:23:27 PM

Theists would say that it is God's will that millions of people starve.

Apparently, they claim that he is all powerful so could stop it. Maybe he just likes the entertainment.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 7:25:00 PM
At 3/11/2017 2:31:20 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

How do you know the devil is in you? Did you read it in a book? Did your mom tell you? How do you know?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 7:56:04 PM
At 3/11/2017 4:00:13 PM, ethang5 wrote:
Everyday I see hundreds of Christians who come here to help. Doctors, teachers, farmers, etc. They come on their own dime and give of their time and knowledge. They are saving lives, opening hospitals, schools, farms, and homes. There are thousands here. I know many of them. What are YOU doing?

I think Ghana is one of nicest places to go if you want to play at the evangeliser! I wonder if there are 100s of Christians quesing up to go to South Sudan right now. But even if they are, the question is not what Christians are doing but what is God doing? I would also point out that many of the most effective charity and aid agencies are secular or non-religious - MSF and Oxfam. There are plenty of atheists who get their hands dirty. In my experinece a lot of Chrisitians seem to come over to do a token stint of 'good work' and then disappear and are often more concerned with preaching (often to people who are already firm believers!) than digging bore holes.

As you, Eth, live in Africa (where I lived for 25 years and still visit regularly) you surely know that Africans generally have the simplest and least complicated of faiths in God of any people on earth. Their "reward" is that every decade millions of them die of drought, famine and wars over which they haveno control.

By all means excuse God's unwillingness or inability to prevent the starvation of 100,000s of thousands of children and babies. But those children and babies are dead, Ethang. If there is a god, what use He?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 7:56:34 PM
At 3/11/2017 4:00:13 PM, ethang5 wrote:

You say God is imaginary. So what have YOU done about it?

Here are some more questions idiots like you always dodge.

Why do you think God should do something about it???
Why do you think He hasn't?
What responsibility do YOU have to doing something about it?

I live in Africa, and first,

Africa is a continent, not a country. It has more than 60 countries on it.
Some of these countries have no fighting, famine, or violence. people live in peace and are happy.

Other than sitting on your fake high horse raining down crocodile tears on us, what are you doing?

you believe God does not exist, and you have no responsibility to Him, but here you are, asking what He's done while you eat pizza and play another round of WOW.

Hypocrite.

So, what have you done to help?
"Hate begets hate"
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:08:14 PM
At 3/11/2017 7:25:00 PM, matt8800 wrote:

BR

How do you know the devil is in you? Did you read it in a book? Did your mom tell you? How do you know?

This is a broad interpretation of religions. What religions teach us is that human beings are imperfect, prone to evil, and a way to overcome this evil nature is to learn how to restrain it.

It is not that humans are possesed by a ghost or an invisible entity. We create our own deamons, and we destroy them as well. How to destroy them? Religion is a way, but not the only one.

BR
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:17:30 PM
At 3/11/2017 8:08:14 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

This is a broad interpretation of religions. What religions teach us is that human beings are imperfect, prone to evil, and a way to overcome this evil nature is to learn how to restrain it.

It is not that humans are possesed by a ghost or an invisible entity. We create our own deamons, and we destroy them as well. How to destroy them? Religion is a way, but not the only one.

BR

Provide an example of how religion can help destroy inner "demons" in a way that cannot be done without religion.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:28:44 PM
At 3/11/2017 8:17:30 PM, matt8800 wrote:

BR

BR

Provide an example of how religion can help destroy inner "demons" in a way that cannot be done without religion.

There are plenty of cases around the world, people who claimed being cured by "God", which is nothing more than the power of themselves, these people cured themselves because God was within them. The daemon could be an addiction, a terrible disease, or whatever that can affect our quality of life.

BR
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:36:23 PM

Do you really want an answer to that question?

Or do you simply want to say why isn't God doing it my way?

If you really want to know, why do you not listen to God's own explanation?

Most humans want instant action, but what good would that have done? As humans have proven many times over in the last 6,000 years might is not always right, in fact it rarely is, so Jehovah sorting it out there and then would have proved nothing and would not have prevented other Angels thinking they could do better, just like human criminals who all think that they can get away with it where others have completely failed to before them. Different degrees, but the same principle applies.

No, If Jehovah had wiped Satan out and started again, it would not have been long before some other Angel thought "Ah, but what if....?" and started the whole thing all over again,

No, Jehovah anted a once for all time solution which would have set so many precedents that if any did say "what if" in future there would be no reason to hold back on summary justice and justice would still have been done, and more importantly seen to have been done.

What he is doing about it started in the Garden of Eden just over 6,000 years ago.

The first thing Jehovah did about it was to set a plan in motion which would mean that when the time was right his only begotten son would come to earth to occupy a human body and pay the price needed for us to be able to live as Jehovah intended once again, at the appropriate time in the future.

Because Jehovah knew what sort of disasters Satan's system would cause to happen whilst he was being given a fair chance to prove his challenge, Jehovah also arranged that no individual would have to suffer it for the whole of the 7,000 years but would "die" before the suffering became too great and be resurrected once things were sorted, or at least as we entered the final stage so that they could learn what the previous 6,000 years plus had been like and would know that Jehovah had been right all along.

It's all in the Bible, and we are almost at the start of the final stage now, which is why Jehovah is making sure that as many as want to can learn the answer to your question and make up their own minds based on the evidence.

Obviously that is a brief precis of what the Bible was given us to teach us, it is up to you to learn the details. Jehovah's Witnesses will gladly help you, and they are the only ones who can.

It's up to you, but other than rather stupid sarcasm, if you don;t really want the answer, why ask the question?
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:38:37 PM

God bless

Wrong. We are about to enter the final stage of his plan.

The way things are is not what his only begotten son came to earth to suffer and die for.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 8:41:02 PM
"We create our own deamons, "
Not sure posted that, but if you want to spell 'daemons' the posh way, at least get it right or stick to plain 'demons'!
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 9:41:02 PM
At 3/11/2017 8:28:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

BR

There are plenty of cases around the world, people who claimed being cured by "God", which is nothing more than the power of themselves, these people cured themselves because God was within them. The daemon could be an addiction, a terrible disease, or whatever that can affect our quality of life.

BR

There is no evidence that religion is superior to a placebo.
Kagegaara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 11:02:59 PM
At 3/11/2017 8:38:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

God bless

Please direct me to where I said otherwise.

The way things are is not what his only begotten son came to earth to suffer and die for.
You imply I said the way things are(suffering and deaths of the humans) is the reason or perhaps the sole reason God sent Jesus to die. Yes I believe God sent Jesus to die as a sacrifice so that humans can have a way to salvation(eternal life) to fulfil His original plan for us humans.
Whatever other reasons he died for(if I didn't mentioned) does not change the fact that Jesus death gives us the way to salvation for any person who is a Christian.
Now if again my statement points to a disagreement with what I said first, please I will be glad to know where I am at fault.
God bless.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2017 11:32:00 PM
At 3/11/2017 8:38:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

God bless

We are "about to enter." Doesn't that prediction require you to speculate on the future? Historically, WatchTowerites rank near the bottom of the list at that endeavor.

For example, you've opined to us that "everything that was supposed to happen in 1925 actually happened." The corollary to that is: NOTHING that the WatchTower said would happen actually came to pass. Then you explained that it was ... ummm ... "mostly internal." LOL! Then you were asked to fill in three simple blanks:

1. What the scriptures said will happen in 1925: ________________________________________
2. What the BotchTower speculated would happen in 1925: ____________________________
2. What actually happened in 1925 in fulfillment of these scriptures: __________________________

Know what? You never filled 'em in. And you aren't going to fill 'em in now either! You can't.

Their 1925 guesses were, of course, based upon absurd "calculations". What is your 7,000 guess based upon? Calculations?
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2017 1:29:12 AM
At 3/11/2017 9:41:02 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/11/2017 8:28:44 PM, Archaholic wrote:

BR

BR

BR

There is no evidence that religion is superior to a placebo.

And...?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2017 5:39:06 AM
At 3/11/2017 8:36:23 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Do you really want an answer to that question?

Or do you simply want to say why isn't God doing it my way?

If you really want to know, why do you not listen to God's own explanation?

Most humans want instant action, but what good would that have done? As humans have proven many times over in the last 6,000 years might is not always right, in fact it rarely is, so Jehovah sorting it out there and then would have proved nothing and would not have prevented other Angels thinking they could do better, just like human criminals who all think that they can get away with it where others have completely failed to before them. Different degrees, but the same principle applies.

No, If Jehovah had wiped Satan out and started again, it would not have been long before some other Angel thought "Ah, but what if....?" and started the whole thing all over again,

No, Jehovah anted a once for all time solution which would have set so many precedents that if any did say "what if" in future there would be no reason to hold back on summary justice and justice would still have been done, and more importantly seen to have been done.

What he is doing about it started in the Garden of Eden just over 6,000 years ago.

The first thing Jehovah did about it was to set a plan in motion which would mean that when the time was right his only begotten son would come to earth to occupy a human body and pay the price needed for us to be able to live as Jehovah intended once again, at the appropriate time in the future.

Because Jehovah knew what sort of disasters Satan's system would cause to happen whilst he was being given a fair chance to prove his challenge, Jehovah also arranged that no individual would have to suffer it for the whole of the 7,000 years but would "die" before the suffering became too great and be resurrected once things were sorted, or at least as we entered the final stage so that they could learn what the previous 6,000 years plus had been like and would know that Jehovah had been right all along.

It's all in the Bible, and we are almost at the start of the final stage now, which is why Jehovah is making sure that as many as want to can learn the answer to your question and make up their own minds based on the evidence.

Obviously that is a brief precis of what the Bible was given us to teach us, it is up to you to learn the details. Jehovah's Witnesses will gladly help you, and they are the only ones who can.

It's up to you, but other than rather stupid sarcasm, if you don;t really want the answer, why ask the question?

You love that "if" word, the great straw man builder, almost as much as the "T" word, which, for once, you haven't used.
What a coincidence though that what Jehovah planned is exactly the same as if nothing were done at all. Well I'll be blowed.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2017 5:45:04 AM
At 3/11/2017 5:54:56 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Willows I point out... It was the persecution of Christians two thousand years ago that forced them to spread out thus spreading the message about Jesus.. Now to all parts of the world!

The Muslims today are another example.. Forced to move means their religion also moves!

Surely you are not discriminating between who is Muslim and who is Christian. These are human beings. Is God that mean that He will only save those who worship him?

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.