Are athletes and celebrities worth their salaries?

• Yes, I think athletes and celebrities are worth their salaries.

I believe because of the huge numbers of people that follow certain athletes and celebrities and all money that can be made with product endorsements and such that you can justify an athletes or celebrities salary, I believe that the market is there to pay these people what they are being paid.

• They are, yes.

I was immediately inclined to say no to this, because they amount of money they make compared to the common man is in the stratosphere. But, the owners and executives sometimes make much more money than the athletes and the athletes are bringing this money in. All around, it's a societal ail.

• Maybe, but probably not...

It depends how you look at it. I hope that whoever pays these salaries has calculculated the cost versus the benefit and these people really do bring in more value to the project than what they are paid. In the case of movies, sometimes an actor gets paid millions to play a role and the movie ends up being a flop anyways. I.e. every Eddie Murphy movie. Both professions come with the potential consequence of losing your annonimity and living the rest of your life as a public figure. Its hard to put a price on such an inconveniece and violation of privacy. Imagine how annoying it probably is waiting for your luggage at the airport while everyone and their mom asks for your autograph and to get a photo with you. The other thing is that their careers are usually short and can end at a moments notice due to an injury, drug over dose, gaining too much weight, getting too old or bad publicity. Our society is notoriously wasteful at utelizing and allocating resources, so why would it be different with money? Everyone knows that surgeons and teachers bring more social value than athletes and actors, yet we pay more to the later. During the fall of the Roman Empire famous gladiators were paid salaries comorable to the celebrities of today. I believe the reason these professions are paid as much as they are is because they serve to distract the public from politics and the widespread inadequacy of the government and societal structures. So long as the people are mesmerized by games and spectacles they arent thinking about how theyre getting robbed into poverty. Teachers and educators serve the opposite purpose and are therefore paid less than their worth. Doctors and surgeons? Theres too many damn poor people around anyways in the view of our oligarchical overlords.

• Put More Money Towards Hungry, Homeless

Athletes and celebrities aren't worth their salaries because they work in industries that revolve around having fun. Athletes play games that children play, only they get paid to perform at extremely high levels. Celebrities entertain so that the masses can have fun. But what about our most vulnerable citizens? The hungry and homeless aren't having fun whatsoever. Perhaps our society should put more money towards those who are needy rather than putting energy towards our entertainment value.

• Way over paid

I do not believe that any one is worth that amount of money to be handed to them for just playing a game or acting in a movie. I believe that there are some athletes that get paid adequately due to the damage that their bodies take but not the ridiculous million dollar contracts. They could shave a few million of their salaries and help a lot of people.

• No They Aren't

I believe the salaries paid to athletes and celebrities can be astronomically high in some cases and I do not believe they are worth these wages. I believe the entertainment industry and the sports industry has a serious problem with wage inequality that really needs to be addressed. These monies should be spread more evenly among all people involved in these industries.

>