• It doesn't really make sense to me.

Whenever someone tries to alter their physical appearance (i.E. Plastic surgery, tanning, etc), someone will say, "Just accept what God gave you," even if the procedure is minor. But for some reason, teeth are an exception. Parents feel like it is a "necessity" to correct even the slightest gaps. This can involve 2+ years of various treatments like braces. 2 years may not be a lifetime, but it is definitely a long time. During this time, one must eat a special diet. Some orthodontists require you to cut everything with a knife! It is also very painful, similar to the way a woman describes childbirth.

And in the end, when you think you are done, they give you a retainer. This is a plastic denture that goes in the mouth at night and feels like a finger in your mouth. It must be worn untill you are TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD, and they still recommend it afterwards. The thing is a potential germ trap, even when cleaned it still has white marks.

All that (plus money) just to please the superficial world.

• Braces are overprescribed and comfort is disregarded

They hurt like crazy. I consider myself lucky to only have had braces and no spacers or other orthodontic junk. The orthodontists seem not to care too much about your comfort, Instead focusing on the method's “success” in making your teeth “better”. I had blocks put in my mouth to prevent me from being able to CLOSE MY MOUTH just so I wouldn’t “break a bracket”. Brackets can be replaced. The time I spent moaning over my jaw pain from the blocks cannot. The orthodontist also knew nothing about medicine, Though he’s supposed to be a doctor. He told me to take 80 milligrams of Advil for the pain. 80 milligrams! In medicine, That’s like nothing. I took 500 milligram tablets of ibuprofen and they didn’t help. My teeth were straightened out within the first few painful days, But they insist on making me wear the braces for two years! The wires in your braces move around a lot, Too, And they poke your cheek and you have to either put a gob of slimy wax that you have to replace every few hours, Or go to the orthodontist so they can cut it with a pair of pliers. My cheeks and gums are scarred with wire cuts. What’s more, You have to brush your teeth after every single meal, Then floss under your braces (which is extremely hard to do), And then brush them again with a special brush. (Don’t forget the mouthwash. ) The reasons for braces are even more stupid. They make your teeth straighter, So what? Unless your teeth are twisted every which way, Most people can live without perfect teeth. And as for the “medical” reasons of not being able to eat well, Or other crap like that, That’s just exaggerated. Orthodontists just love to prescribe braces - so many people who don’t really need them have them. Braces are expensive, Which is probably why orthodontists have such a good business going. Unless you have some serious, REAL dental issues, Braces are not worth it.

• Noone cares about your teeth

Have you ever spent more than 30 seconds thinking about someone elses teeth? I havnt
    Is it worth ruining your quality of life for 6 months to 3 years for something some people can only get a glance of for a fraction of a second? Thats like saying your ear is slightly too big better chop part of it off
    Pointless shit like this really grinds my gears same with wearing scarves and touqes what does it help 1% of your heat just to itch?

• Total Waste of Time and Money

Absolutely a waste of time and money. The notion that straight white teeth are important for jobs and to function well in society is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I fail to see how straight teeth make any difference in your life. I mean honestly, Most people, If not all, Have crooked teeth and I don't see how "making them straight" helps with anything. Our teeth turn yellow as we age and often become crooked again, So it makes no sense to have them "straightened out" at all. I had braces, But I no longer wear my retainer and my teeth have shifted and I am very happy they have. I will never get braces again, No matter what anyone tells me.

• Feels like a scam

My orthodontist strongly recommended that I get braces. Then I asked her why and she said trust me you will not regret having a perfect smile. I’m not an adult so I can’t make the decision for myself. My parents got her recommendation and without consulting me made an appointment For me to get braces. It sucks, its been 1 1/2 years and I’ve seen minimal if any change in a before and after photo. To summarize it seems like a trap where they make it seem like you must get braces when really its for minor cosmetic changes (not saying there aren’t cases where they are necessary). Now I’m stuck with them for another year and a retainer for life. Btw why do dentists and orthodontists always try to talk to you while they have all their tools in your mouth.

• Feels like a scam

• Absolute Tragedy for the young.

I was whisked off to get braces installed when I was 6YO in 1981. This was to be first phase.
    At 12 they took them off for 6 Mo calling it "moving to second phase". I had a huge huge fight with my mother told here I was free at last god fordable she put me back in those things. She did.

I then wore them for "second phase" from 12yo to 17 1/2 YO. When they took them off . Gave me retainer. Within 6 months they had all moved .

At 21Yo I had to start mouth reconstruction and cosmetic surgery because the damage that the braces caused to my teeth were reprehensible. This took until I was 24 to complete. This cost 15K.

26 YO At this point they start falling off and at this point I was told it would need to be redone. This would cost an additional 10K upfront. 750$ tooth or more, and run a further 4 years to complete.

So, you see, Its not just about the now. It is called "make work".

I was harassed by a dentist years ago now, when I took my son in for a filling(1 filling tiny one) said his head was going to explode if I didn't start him on the road to braces, by this she showed me pictures of what I could only describe as a "stretcher" you would see in the days of King Henry VIII, yes, this was said to "stretch his head " because "his teeth were going to explode out of his head sideways".

Yes well, He is 14yo nearly 15 now, his teeth have the slightest crowding around his canine top on one side, nothing to bad, he has had only the one cavity in his life to date, and I have told him if it ever gets bad we will have it pulled, but I wont subject him to what comes from braces.
    If he wanted to do that later in life he can, but I wont put him under it. It is a total scam that has lifetime consequences down the road.

Don't let them scare you, good luck all.

• High cost; low gain

Braces are kinda pointless; they cost thousands, cause pain & are unnecessary. You have crooked teeth, whoopady-do-da. If you can smile & eat; you don't need them. Don't put yourself through that & don't waste your money on them. Besides; if you're doing it for a partner; if I met a girl that didn't want to waste the money for a minor appearance flaw; THAT'S THE GIRL I WANT! Lol

• Too much money for too little

• Trust me there not pointless.

I know they may seem that way at first, looking at the cost and the slight pain. But trust me I have braces and there is a large improvement already seeing that I have only had them about 6 months. Looking back at some of my old picture I needed them, I had gaps, an overbite and I'm not sure how to say this besides kind of an off bite. But already there looking better. The pain only lasts about a week less than that even me and 90% of my friends braces pain only lasted about 2 days. Not gonna lie spacers were the worst part but if you take some painkillers like tylonal or ibeprophen it helps a lot. Also, many people say only nerds have braces and kids get bullied have braces but that it not even close to true. I am one of " the popular" kids and I have never been teased or bullied and looking at some of my other friends and the so-called nerds, not one have ever been bullied from it. And even if you have a slight problem with gaps or a few crooked teeth they can be fixed with braces or even an Invisalign in a year tops.

• They are not pointless

Braces can hurt but they will hurt for only a short while,and the results are worth the short-term pain. Some people say braces can give you oral cancer , diabetes ,etc. However a dentist will tell u about braces hygiene, and how to prevent diseases. I think braces are not pointless if you use them for the right reason.

• Depends on who's doing them.

Most are really stupid. They think they know so much which makes talking to them frustrating. There are one maybe two that think they are providing health care while abusing the staff, the patients and parents and all the while abusing the staff and causing CTSD (Current Tramatic Stress disease) not disorder,. It's crazy those are the good ones. But they are still to dumb to count change at a raceway gas station. I

• Braces are often used to correct a structural problem.

While some people use them purely for cosmetic reasons, most need them to correct a bigger problem that will only get worse if untreated. Try paying attention to what the orthodontist is saying to your parents during appointments instead of screwing around on your phone. You might actually learn something.

• Braces are there to make you look pretty. :p

I gotta admit when I got my spacers, it hurt like hell. When they finally came off my mouth felt great. Once my spacers cane out I had no real pain in my mouth. In fact even though my teeth are moving it doesn't hurt me at all, braces are painless. I had a headache when I first got my braces on but once I took some pills the pain went away. So braces are basically painless and only there to make me look better, I always felt bad about my teeth so I thought, hey! Why not get em straightened? :D

• Braces can fix your teeth for life

My dad's a dentist and believes everyone should have braces. Some people need to get braces two times. This happens when your teeth are really messed up. So you get braces before your back molars grow in, then later once they do grow in you get braces again. My teeth are strait so my dad says I wouldn't need to get braces, but since he's a dentist he wants me to get them anyway. I'm just waiting for my back molars to grow in then I will finally get braces. Once you get braces you will forever be greatful and in all of your pictures you're smile will be beautiful.

• Braces saved my boyfriends life

My boyfriend had a tooth that would not have been able to come all the way out. Many doctors that weren't orthodontists told him that if the tooth wasn't fixed the pressure would warp his skull to the point where it could cause constant pain, brain damage, and even death. Braces are not pointless unless someone is getting them when they do not need to be getting braces to begin with.

• Braces are not pointless if used for the right reasons

Here in the Philippines, only the 'financially capable' can afford things like braces and retainers. It costs an awful lot for people who don't earn a lot of money. What are braces for anyway and why are they expensive? Braces are devices used to fix certain dental imperfections. They align and straighten teeth with regards to a person's bite, while also working to improve dental health. Some children also choose to wear braces even if their teeth do not call for them because imperfect teeth can actually lead them to social awkwardness. With this, how can others insist that braces are pointless when they are made to help people?

• I disagree with this.

Braces are very different than retainers. I wore braces for 3 yrs and i moved on to retainer. I been wearing a retainer for 3 yrs now. If you were to wear it, should this be metal-free braces/retainers? I didn't need to go to the ortho anymore because i was done with it unless they clean my retainer for me.

• Braces help teeth health, and make your appearance nicer when they're removed

I used to have braces, and yeah it kind of sucked. However, you only have to wear them for 1-2 years, and when you get them removed, your teeth are literally perfect. Getting them on (at least when I got them) isn't as painful as everybody thinks it is. Their a bit tender the first week and when you get them tightened, but you get used to them. Yes, you have to get a retainer, and wear it for 1.5 years. Orthodontists recommend that after that period of time, you should wear it at night for the rest of your life. Also, you don't get made fun of for wearing braces, they're so common nowadays that know one will bat an eyelash. Overall, it's better to have perfect teeth than horribly bad ones for 5 grande.

>