Though this is anecdotal. The only person I know who does not drive 10+ miles over the speed limit is my mother. Also, from my understanding, most people drive well over the speed limit anyways, which is why speed limits are constantly being increased by 5 miles per hour increments. Cars are getting both safer and faster, and easier to control at faster speeds. People are going to drive faster because of this, period, and those law abiding citizens who insist on driving the speed limit make traffic less safe as they are going much slower than the flow of traffic. Also, police will be constantly pulling drivers over, which is not a safe interaction for other drivers, and also not safe for the officer who has to have her/his back to traffic as they are issuing the ticket.
I live in Canada and our province raised the speed limit to 120 kmh in some areas and 100kph in others. About 75mph and 55mph. I find when every one is doing the speed limit the traffic is flowing better and no one with a few exceptions is driving like an idiot. When you have some one going slower than the speed limit it disrupts the flow and creates a "bottle neck", now every one is trying to pass this slower driver that thinks " enjoy the scenery what's your rush" but is actually causing ppl to get impatient and try passing when ever they can which is causing dangerous situations. If everyone did the speed limit then there would be less accidents as it's been proven statistically!
Statistics that I read state 28% of deaths on highways are caused by high rate of speed. If that's the case what about the other 72% of deaths? Certainly not speed.
People in Europe tend to be better trained drivers. I spent 20 years over there living in Italy and Germany and noticed that the training the drivers received is much more extensive than it is here in America. They learn the rules of the road and they follow them to the T. This makes them much more reliable drivers and safe at higher speeds. Personally I felt safer driving on an Autobahn at a hundred miles an hour then I do driving on any Interstate here in America at 55 or 65 miles an hour.
Because when people go 120km/hr having that flow and speed helps prevent accidents. It is speed variance that causes accidents when you a combination of fast and slow drivers. Conditions can also affect how fast you should go when driving but if it is a clear dry day then driving at a speed you feel comfortable with should be allowed
Due to a study people are proven to six times more likely to get in an accident. The autobahn in Germany has no speed limit an has proven to be the safest highway.Slower limits guzzle gas because without the flow of traffic coming with higher speed limits, there is less stoping and going thus using less gas to start up again
The German autobahn has proven that higher speed limits can lead to overall safer roads, higher speed limits mean that those who wish to drive at a high rate of speed are free to do so without having to recklessly weave in between cars, those who are uncomfortable driving at high speeds should stay off these types of roads.
It is not s a fe r b e c a u s e t h e s p e e d l i, I t i s m e a n t to keep us safe n i g g er f a g o t bitch gayyyyyyyyyyyyy
When a speed limit is set people tend to go 5-10 miles faster than the legal limit. For example, if the speed limit is 55, most people travel at 60 to 65 miles per hour. This is against the law in all forms possible. On roads during the winter and on bad roads raising the speed limit would allow people to go faster and raise the chance to get into an accident. NO!
There is a higher incidence of accidents on the highway when cars are traveling at higher speeds, so highways would be less safe and more dangerous with a higher speed limit. For safer highways, the speed limit should be lower, not higher. This would result in fewer accidents on the highway.
When speed limits are set at higher speeds, it creates more of an urgency in getting to ones destination rather than the journey being safe. Higher speed limits can create more accidents in areas that experience a lot of snow or extreme weather. Higher speed limits can also increase gas and car maintenance costs.
The safety of drivers on our nation's highways does not depend on high or low speed limits, but appropriate speed limits. Speed limits must always take into account the conditions of the route, from terrain to curvature to elevation and so on. All speed limits should be carefully established based on these conditions. Simply raising or lowering a speed limit does not improve safety.
In my personal experience, most drivers use the speed limit as buffer rather than an actual set limit to abide by strictly. Drivers generally go at around 10mph above what is technically legal. By raising the limit, we would encourage a more dangerous degree of speeding, which ultimate leads to more accidents and fatalities.