• Yes, it seems like they are

I don't actually have any data to back this up, but this is the general perception. I have owned several Japanese cars, and several American cars, and I noticed that the Japanese cars just won't break. The American cars, however, seem to have little problems all of the time. Maybe it's just my prejudice, and maybe I'm just falling for advertising, but it seems that Japanese cars are just better made than American cars. Maybe that's changing?

• Yes, Japanese cars provide better value and reliability

Although it is hard to generalize such a large market, Japanese cars are usually more sought after and well-reviewed than American cars. The added expense and time investment of maintenance of American cars is probably the biggest factor in this. Japanese cars consistently rank higher than American cars in reliability. In addition, the improved gas mileage is of increasing importance.

• Reliability, fuel efficiency, technology,

Look at any country in the world, you will find Japanese cars form poor countries with bad roads to most developed countries. Also if you take the average number of years a person has owned a car, you'll mostly find people hold on to Japanese models than American or European brands. Mainly because they have built cars to suit all weather conditions that would outlast any of their competitors till date. However, I believe in the coming decade a major share of the Japanese car market would be eaten by the Koreans which will make it further difficult for the American and European brands.

• Yes - Japanese cars have better value and quality than American cars.

I have owned both an American car and Japanese car and the Japanese made car lasted longer. With proper maintenance on both American and Japan vehicle, the Japanese car I have last longer.

To counter post from NO side who mentioned American made cars helps the economy. I support American made products because they provide jobs in the U.S. Although, Toyota and Honda are headquartered in Japan, the mentioned car companies have manufacturing facilities in states such as Alabama, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. So they do provide work in the U.S. as well

• I think that they are because....

The Japanese cars are so much more advance and are mo reliable. First they have more engine type like inline 4, inline 6, 2,3,4 rotors and boxer etc. they will usually weight less and with a little boost your little ordinary Japanese car can be be a little Godzilla. Most of them will be cheaper imported from japan. That's why i think they are better cars and my personal favorite is a Mazda rx-7 2 rotors.

• Japanese cars are better

Japan or Aisa in fact is known for making ever long lasting cars or very reliable at the least for many years. Honda had been proven to be the most reliable car manufacturer in the world for the last 9 years with Toyota and other Aisan manufacturers just below. Most countries have Aisan cars as their most popular such as in Américain where Honda, Nissan and Toyota are reliable. However American cars are made to a different standard to the rest of the world and are rather cheaply made and may be rather unreliable because of how the cars are in America with such big engine sizes and just how unadvanced the cars are these days compared to Europe and Aisa.

• Cars are better because of the gas afficiantcy.

Japanese cars have smaller engines and have more fuel economy than american cars. Also they have more engine types and they can go faster for cheaper.More people are driving japanese cars and have alot of people whos dream cars are japanese cars and as you can see more people prefer japanes cars

• B b b

H j j j j j j i j j j b b b b g f f c v v b b b n n n b n j g g h b j h h b b b h. H . . . . . . . H

• Don't buy American, especially Ford

I had a ford for 5 years. At 55,000 miles the transmission went. Then at 60,000 miles the heater broke. At 64000 miles the transmission malfunctioned again, and then again at 68,000. Then at 70,000 miles the ignition had to be replaced. I now drive a Toyota and I love it. Never American again.

• Perception may be in the eye of the behoulder.

Perception may be in the eye of the behoulder, but right now the eye of the behoulder is on the Japanese car makers. The 'Big 3' lets not call them American, as they make their cars/engine abroad & their sharehoulders someof which are foreigners, have had quality lacking especially in the 70's and 80's. Japanese cars have consistently strided to be the best in quality, & although not always, for the last few decades they have claimed if not the top spot but certainly the 2nd spot for sure. And bout Jobs, my dad worked near the Honda plant in our town in Alabama for 16 years ... I don't think the Big 3 ever had a plan there.

• People only choose Japanese because aesthetics

Over engineered= more chance for a failure ,most only choose this because japans cars are more aesthetically pleasing, same reason used car dealers sell cars, you make it look good people think it is good, most don't look beyond that, because most do not know much about what all is happening in a car/ not mechanically inclined, at least early 2000s and older now days i suppose just bout all of its made overseas

• Here's the deal

Every brand, no matter what the country of origin, has models with problems. I've see plenty of Hondas with blown transmissions and peeling paint, and Toyotas whose frames rusted away to nothing. I've see American cars go hundreds of thousands of miles. They all require maintenance, but some more than others. The Japanese cars developed a reputation for reliability back in the day, but they often needed timing belts and valve adjustments, so I never thought they were worth it. Parts were always more pricey for them too. I have a 1993 Chevy Corsica with a 4 cylinder engine that's pushing 300,000 miles, and the engine and transmission have never had a problem. I had a Grand Marquis with almost 400,000, and an S10 with over 400,000 miles, and even though I don't know if they had problems before I got them, they did fine for me, and ran well when I sold them. Change the fluids, hoses and belts as needed, and drive them like you want them to last, and most cars will give you your money's worth.

• Consumer reports says it true, so it must be true...NOT.

I would really like to find these people who claim they bought a domestic vehicle that suddenly explodes for absolutely no reason or what ever crazy and outlandish story. I have owned domestic cars all my life and have never had any of these "crazy" problems. Have I had domestics break down? Yes. Were these high mileage vehicles with less than ideal up keep? You bet.

I have owned 2 brand new domestic vehicles and a couple newer models (2007+). I had one single issue with a brand new silverado I bought at the end of '08. The front actuator was trying to engage when in 2WD. The cause? A damaged sensor caused by the chain the driver thew over the axle during transport. Not a problem with the design, manufacturing or parts.

What else? Oh, yes. I own a 2012 malibu bought used in 2014. Two recalls and still running strong at 65K+. Funny most similar classed vehicles of the same year have 1 - 3 recalls, just like the 'bu. But the foreign cars are just "so much better".

• They desperately need to work on their styling

I have been driving a Dodge Challenger for several years without a problem. It has only needed oil changes and filters - nothing else. People say that the Japanese build cars that are more reliable, but I don't see how that could be when they cant even hire a reliable stylist. Cars like the Juke, Murano, anything by Infinity (I can go on and on), look like they were designed by someone who staggered into work drunk and puked on the floor just before going to the drawing board.

• Pollution is going because it ships from Japan

They are very suffering when living in the jungle too, I got my Honda Accord 1995 gone away in 2000, and my Mercedes Benz lasts longer than 5 years. Please I have a 25 year old BMW and a 25 year old Audi B3 please because I had a 31 year old Chevy.

• Are you guys kidding me ?????

REALLY!!!! You guys are going to say Japanese cars are better? What's up with that, this is America not Japan. First off we did not even need japanese cars on American shores. Look at Ford for example, their building the ecoboost engine and people are loving it. What about the Chevrolet Cruze, Dodge Dart, and Ford Focus, even the Chrysler 200 they all get good gas millage. What about the Dodand charger and challenger Hellcats and the Tesla p85D, both of those cars with send the Nissan Gtr crying to it's mama. And who wants a Japanese truck, thats right not very many people do want them. American vehicals aways have and always will be better and the best.

• It actually depends

How do you treat your car? Do you bring it in for scheduled tune ups, oil changes, and general repairs when they need them? If you said yes, then your car should be running for a very long time. If not then you don't take care of your car. I have a 2001 Dodge Durango with almost 200,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it what so ever. It all depends on how you take car of your car.

• No, Japanese cars are not necessarily better

Japanese car makers excel in producing cars that meet or exceed some of the various characteristics that a car buyer is looking for, i.e. gas mileage. However, the overall quality of American cars is better. Car buyers typically look for specific qualities in a car, such as gas mileage, safety features, resale value, etc. Japanese cars may out-perform American cars in one or more of these qualities, but never all of them. When you look at everything as a "package", overall the American made car is better. Plus, buying American helps the American economy.