• Native American mascots are very racist and offensive.

How many people voting here are actually native ABC connected with their culture? Because I am. I think that should be the only poll allowed. If you are not native, it just slightly native and not really connected with that culture, you shouldn't be allowed to say what is offensive to those who are!

• Is it? Most people say it is including me

Any school or NFL team that has a native american mascot, has to change it because it’s offensive.The Washington Redskins are getting lots of attention because the term ‘Redskins’ is racist to Native Americans. “The ‘Redskins’ trademark is disparaging to Native Americans and perpetuates and a centuries- old stereotype of Native Americans as ‘blood-thirsty savages’ ”(Washington).In Washington state, the Wellpinit Redskins school board voted to keep the name. Wellpinit resident Gene Lynn said “I don’t think it is a word of pride. It was used derogatory years ago when it was the wild west”(School board votes to keep name).

• Native american mascots are very offensive.

Any school or NFL team that has a native american mascot, has to change it because it’s offensive.The names used are racist toward the native american culture.He Washington Redskins are getting lots of attention because the term ‘Redskins’ is racist to Native Americans. “The ‘Redskins’ trademark is disparaging to Native Americans and perpetuates and a centuries- old stereotype of Native Americans as ‘blood-thirsty savages’ ”(Washington).In Washington state, the Wellpinit Redskins school board voted to keep the name. Wellpinit resident Gene Lynn said “I don’t think it is a word of pride. It was used derogatory years ago when it was the wild west”(School board votes to keep name).

• Yes I belive it is very offensive

Schools that have these mascots majority of the time have no native american students, it portrays negative stereotypes of native americans that they all live in teepees and wear head dresses and it makes it seem okay for non native americans to incorrectly dress up in sacred native american clothing and use their sacred rituals inappropriately

• Jkdhsjkan SDA FSFD

Msnamkn mnn M, FNKKFNM,S MABJ A BNJ B J B AN NM AN NA NDSN NDS N DN B NDFB JMNASN MM,N A,MSDM, NFM, MDNS M NJ,F ADMNBF ,MASMN ASBDJ,M FAMBM, B ANMF BN FMFBSD M FNMBSD N AJ BM, AJA NBM K , M NSDM, M,NDASM FMM,FD BM FD MD

• Yes it is racist

When kid dress up in a mascot suit they jump around and act stupid which show a stereotype towards the Native Americans. However, it is easy to understand how people can be offended by such things. It would be ignorant and ridiculous to look past the instances of racism that are undoubtedly present in sports teams.

• It shouldn't be, but it is.

No one would really think to name a sports team "Ni**er" the slur word for African Americans so why would they name one "red skins" to them it is just as bad. It is the derogatory term for Native Americans and it could be very hurtful to them. Just because it doesn't seem harmful to you think about if it was using the slur for your race and thousands of people are screaming it every time there is a game on TV.

• They are definitely

Saying Redskins is like saying the n word to an African American it is just wrong and very racist . And the same with the savages how would you and your family like to be called that just because a sports team wants to keep there name. This is very wrong people

• This isn't honoring

I understand wanting to honor your ancestors or founding fathers and your heritage and all that sentimental stuff. But if using Native American heritage as a mascot is different. Mascots have an entertainment culture that you cannot just separate - people are wearing head dresses and face paint with no clue of their cultural significance. You're not giving "honor" to the culture by doing that; you're not giving "honor" to the Native Americans by calling the team Redskins - that's dated derogatory nickname commonly used by bounty hunters. What you do when you wear their head dress and face paint incorrectly and for purposes other then their proper cultural contexts, often times SACRED, all you're doing is showing pride to the team and nothing else. That's it.

You're not doing any Native Americans a favor. The reason why you think Native Americans don't care is because there has been a time when many of them decided to voice their opinions and stand up for their heritage and identity, but guess what happened? They were told to get over it, again and again. Eventually people made fun of them and even committed hate crimes against them. Native American communities since then have felt cornered and insecure. And because there are not so many Native Americans in certain areas, they often become so under-represented that even when they do voice their opinions about their own heritage being used as mascots, everyone else is too busy wearing gears that aren't accurate to any Native American culture and drinking in these costumes.

What's so bad about wearing Redskin costumes and gears? They're stereotypical. You're making the culture nothing but a commodity. What's so bad about having stereotypical costumes? 1. You are giving yourself the right to define a race you know nothing about while making money from it. You are choosing only the surface-level characters of Native American tribes and making money from them. You want to honor your ancestors? Learn more about them, educate yourselves about their culture.

What's so bad about Native American clothing in a football game? Whether your outfit is accurate or inaccurate, you are completely dishonoring the culture by choosing to wear it only for pride of the team and in the context of fun and alcohol, when these garments were used for sacred and honorable purposes by people whose culture it is to do so. And that's another thing - it's not even your culture to mess with!

The reason why this is a big deal is because it's making a huge impact to an entire community of underrepresented people. If you really want to stand in solidarity for them, you have to stand up WITH them and not FOR them. Let them speak and give permission before using their culture, alright?

• YES, they are.

Native Americans are offended by the redskins. I have done rechearch on the subject and Native american kids are embarrassed by the name redskins because they think we are making fun of their skin color. Look up this subject people! We are making fun of our countrys past! Think about it ok. Rethink your side. We should respect Native America feelings.

• Racism: Its all your Your Head

It's not racist.
    I'll tell you why as briefly as possible.
    Racism is stupid. First of all, it seems your only racist if your white. Its true. How so? I will provide a past experience as mine as example. A black kid at my school after football complained saying and I quote: "Man, I played like a white boy out there." No one even flinched. Everything went on like a normal day. Now I want you to picture that same scenario in your head, now imagine his skin color is white. I bet you my life everyone would freak out and likely report him for racism. Minors can be just as racist as white people. (I'm not using minors as an insult. It's just easier that saying people without white skin.

I believe that racism shouldn't exist because we are all made equal. In fact, ignore skin color. That kid was born with brown skin and I with white. Does that mean we can't mingle as friends? Because of racism you need to be careful while around a black guy because almost anything can bring up offence. I want us to just drop it. Another good example is the 2012 election. People called Mitt Romney racist for running against Obama. That is how stupid racism is.

As a conclusion we should drop the racism. Unless one race is killing the other like the KKK did for racism we all need to let go of what people call you whether your white, black, yellow, or even neon green. In fact if someone was naturally neon green I think that would be awesome.
    So no... Native American mascots are not racist

Posted by: MVMX
  • It is not hurting you or harmful

Donuts donuts fart a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• How can you prove it?

The NFL team redskins is not considered racist. It's like telling someone that they are black. Of Course! Do you honestly think that they just named it that just to be racist? If anything, they're are supporting the natives by using them in a team. They're are basically saying, "Wow, natives are pretty amazing! Let's use them as team to spread the word!" They can be relating to natives all they want, any team, but as long as they aren't going out there, dancing around in a stupid way, and saying, "I'm Stupid!" Then it's not racist.

• They are not racist

G g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• These damn redskins

I hate red people and this is not racist these damn injuns should jump over the border or swin in to the pacific these red skins cant even watch the game why do they care why dont they keep the teens from killing them selves. God bless america and guns and burgers not these god damn injuns

• In matter of what denotation you use it, it is not racist.

We can say that it is racist, but clearly and proven it is not. The world nowadays is offended by everything that exist, we absorb ourselves into little much needed "drama" and want to be part of something, this is no matter of racism, only the way you use it, it is then racist in derogatory. Coming from a school that was once Cornhuskers, then Indians, they make no racist additions to any part of their name.

• No vagina sorry, neded more words

All of you people who say yes are fucking retarded 39ogihdfighfhgidhguhf jfndf bgiudfbgiubfiu bug bu fbgubgb dgiubfuihuhhuhhiu uh udhiudhuhh du h hiuh uhiudhuhiuhiuhuih uh h ihh diuh iu hhh h h h h hh huh h u hu hh uh h uhu hu hu hu hu hu h Sorry needed 4o more words :(

• These Goddam Injuns

Listen I am a hick from Alabama and I do not give damn about no one for that matter no damn Injun! They should go back to Mexico where all of them came from and Trump needs to build the wall high as all hell so they won't come back. These Injuns need to be taught a lesson, they lost and all of them are dead. They should be embarrassed by America for losing, they will continue to lose as long as I am here that's for sure. God bless America, not those damn Natives.

• I am an indian scalper and I loveeeee the redskins

I scalp white people and put their blood on my face and it makes me a redskin. . . . .. . . . .. .. . . . . . .. . . . . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . .

• Native American Mascots Are Not Racist

Most mascots are intended to convey courage, strength and an indomitable will. Hence lions, tigers, eagles, etc. There is thus nothing inherently racist in picking a Native American mascot. If Native Americans want to object to a particular portrayal as offensive, that would be worth discussing. But to say all Native American mascots are racist is to say that there is no respectful way to portray Native Americans, and that is nonsense.

>