• Not always, but more often than you think

This would not be true for a place in Africa, but I find it to be true in America. Everyone has access to education. Education in the USA in mandatory. If a person does well in school, then they can go to college. If they go to college, they can get a job. If a person loses their job, they can find another one. In South Georgia, their was a labor crisis in which there was no one to pick the crops farmers grew. People thought that work was beneath them. As long as there is stuff like this happening, it is the poor people's fault. However, poor children are not responsible for poverty, but their parents are.

• I agree with that

Even you are born into poverty and your family are poor, You still have access to free educations to a certain extent, Subsidized public transport, The same infrastructure enjoyed by the people of the nations. If people can make it why not you? Perhaps the poor are just trying to blame their poverty to the others for not making it in their lives. True, You need money to go thru tertiary education, But please don't forget there are student loans and scholarship. You already know you are in poor and you know that tertiary education might be the only way to get you out of poverty, Then you should work extra hard, Perhaps harder than the others to secure some scholarships. If you cannot make it, Perhaps you should find other way. If you can't it is definitely your problem for not trying extra hard for other options.

• Functionalism agrees to it

Functionalism even says that poor people are responsible for their poverty this is good so they know how to get out of poverty by working so hard an to go to the top class they need to work harder poverty is not a huge issue unemployment is the huge issue

• There are plenty of opportunities to improve yourself

To succeed most people I know took advantage of these things:
    *Free School up to high school and college/trade school scholarships
    *Look to successful people around them as examples.
    *Abundant jobs-- that is, If you want to work
    *To succeed you must offer something of value to others. If not,
    why should anyone pay you? Or even associate with you?
    * Don't have kids out of wedlock, Stay away from crime, Drugs and booze.
    * The only person you can truly control in life is you. There are times need ruthless discipline with yourself to move forward. Define for
    yourself what success is and move in that direction. No need to apologize.
    * Persistence, Grit, Learning from mistakes, Self improvement are more important than luck.
    *People skills, Being able to connect with and enlist the help of others is also very important.

There are always hard-luck, Basket cases you can point to, But these are relatively small in number. Yes, Life is hard, But don't make excuses-- in the end there aren't any.
    The biggest battle you face is really with yourself. Emotional maturity
    is the hardest battle most people face. Its not lack of money, Racism,
    bad circumstances. Etc.

Get off the damn couch! Get going, Get help, Be accountable. Move forward! At least try!

• We are all able to make good or bad choices

In my twenties I found myself in a situation, not of my making, which left me with severe speech problems. I was self employed and unable to get much work and as a consequence became badly in debt. Despite my difficulties I took responsibility for my situation. What happened to me wasn't fair but life seldom is. Although I used social services when required I tried hard to pay my own way by getting a full time job and paying off my debts, a difficult thing to do when you are in constant pain and undergoing speech therapy. I was very worried in the job interview which lead to me getting back into full time employment that my fragile voice would give up and I'd be left unable to finish the interview. Why? Because it had happened before. I took help when it was offered and people were very helpful, as is often the case when you take responsibility. I now have a good career, own my own house and am making provision for my old age. I am a net contributor to "the system". If I hadn't taken responsibility I'm sure I would not be where I am now. And one doctor had told me to get use to the fact that I may not be able to speak again. So take responsibility, You owe it to yourself!

• Poor are responsible for their poverty

They may work hard. But whatever wages they get, they squander the money in drugs and wine. Lack of education, bad friends are the main cause. More than charity they need lessons in money management. Charity makes them lazy. Permit cards should be introduced for liquour use. People holds Permit cards should not get Government welfare support. This will create saving habit of poor.

• Yes and No

While poverty can be caused by the individual or not is a good question. Most people in poverty are to lazy to work or to lazy to do anything so they sit there in there sorrow blaming society for them being in poverty. To defend the poor who do work and nothing helps, such as a single mom or so on it is very difficult for them to keep money when raising children for instance: clothing, schooling, food, etc. I see both sides of the argument having a point.

• Hard work + talent = opportunity

In the US, k-12 education is free. Students cannot be denied loans, so everyone can also obtain higher education, then work to pay if off later. If a student works hard, studies hard, and focuses on developing their critical thinking and written and spoken communication it is very easy to set themselves apart from the crowd with internships, publications, assistantships, and scholarships, especially for minorities, or just with stellar grades. It is not easy to emerge from poverty, it takes years of hard work. But developing wealth takes years of hard work, even for ordinary people. I was not poor, but my parents didn't give me any wealth, except for a wealth of good values. I went to public school, used student loans to pay for college, and now I have scholarships for graduate school. Anyone willing to make good choices and work hard can find their way out of poverty, or at lead and coach their children out of poverty.

• I agree by that

In modern world anyone can become rich by just simple methods . There are thousands of ways to earn a handsome amount of money. Also poor people atleast most of them never try to overcome their situations. In the end bill gates saying is all that left which says it,s your own fault if you die poor.

• Usually a persons fault

Even if you are born into poverty it is not impossible to get out of it. If you are born into a poor family, that person just has to work harder. Many people who are poor in America are just lazy! They either have children outside of marriage or they just don't want to work and would rather live off the government. If God wanted you to be poor than that person would be happy. Its also what you consider poor! Is poor not being able to have every life luxury? If you have life's necessities like food, water, shelter then technically you are not poor.

• Poverty is not a choice

You can be born into a poor family. Once born into it it is hard to get out of it. They wont have money to pay for a good school so you might not get a good job. Without a good job you will most likely stay in poverty. Even having a little bit of money it will be hard to have a job because money will be used in transportation.

• No, poor people are not responsible for their poverty.

I believe that poor people are not responsible for their poverty. The problem is that poverty is a vicious cycle. If you are born into poverty it is difficult to escape. There are so many problems that contribute to poverty. I live in a high poverty area with few jobs and high housing costs. It's hard to climb out of poverty if you have to live on a job that only pays minimum wage. Many people work hard and just can't get ahead. Poverty is not their fault.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'wellfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• No, not always.

As with any other living situation, some are and some are not. While there are people who are content to live at an absolute minimum to avoid doing work of any sort, there are many more who have hit on hard times or are from backgrounds that are not conducive to social advancement. Poverty is a symptom, not a disease and the more people insist on a 'welfare state' and avoid looking at the actual cause, the longer it'll take to cure the illness in this country.

• Cause that's my opinion

If you said yes, you are wrong. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. However, you opinion is wrong if you say yes. People who say yes probably grew up with money. Not every person can grow from nothing like the very few people a generation do. Everyone on this side of the debate is correct.

• The poor are not to blame.

Many people may say that poor individuals can easily make it out of poverty. All they have to do is work hard, stay in school, make good choices, etc. If they do all this, they would not be poor. If this were true, then poverty would not be as big of an issue as it is now. There are thousands of people wanting to get out of poverty but are not able to do so, no matter how hard they work. Poverty is not the fault of an individual, poverty goes beyond the individual. There are many structural influences, historical attributes, social issues, and environmental effects that play a big role in poverty. If a child is born into a poor family it will be difficult to escape. One cannot compare an individual born into a good family with money to a person born into poverty. That's like saying I will give this person a car along with $500 of cash, and to the other person, all they get is a pair of shoes and a dollar. Now, who can travel 1,000 miles first?

• No, I would say it is not the fault of the majority of the poor.

I realize in the West, many (including myself) live in a kind of bubble. While I have a roof over my head and barely enough to pay for rent and food, poor by American standards may be rich by Brazilian Favelas standards.

If you’re born into a kill or be killed environment, without money or the opportunity to make money legitimately, plus drug traffickers and police wars everyday.. Would you be able to teach yourself to read and forget about making a buck to eat, considering things like fixing the huge gaping holes in the wall, random bullet holes and cracks and openings in the ceiling?

Now combine this with a government that doesn’t seemed to concerned about you or your future, and as a result provide no funding for education. No funding to help turn these slums around, not even in small meadures. How much confidence would this give you?

People who double-down and say things like, lazy good for nothings need to get off their asses and break out of their own conditions have most likely never had an experience that allows them to relate even remotely.

*I know some of you have had it rough, and though the circumstances might be different, you can relate to the struggle on some level.

So who’s fault is this? The government of that particular country? It feels that way to me. While things are bad in Brazil, things are also bad in the United States. Before countries can lend aid to other questions, they have to get their own house in order.

I’d also like to add that it’s also the responsibility of the people struggling to come together and discuss how they themselves can make everyone’s life better by being more kind, giving and less He’ll bent on the torture and killings which are too often the first course of action.

• It isn't their fault. But things can be done about it.

Some people are born into families that are poor or born into poverty stricken countries. However it is not the fault of the rich. There are things that could be done to make sure there is less poverty, such as the government making a scheme that people who are very poor and who are born into poverty get a monthly or yearly food or housing allowance. Also, if people have the opportunity to go to school they can study get a job and get out of being poor. The story is different in different countries and a lot of the time the government or leader of the country could make a difference. I don't think poverty is the fault of the poor.

• They definitely aren't - at least not all of them

Many of the arguments saying they are are flawed. For instance, the claim that education is free - not really. Though technically anyone can go to public school, some of those public schools are terrible. Certainly the ones in my town are. Where I live, only people who go to private schools really excel. And if your education isn't good, it's much harder to go to college and thus get a good job.

Bullish says2013-05-08T22:08:18.593
It depends. Some people are born into poverty with no means to rise, some are born millionaires and drink themselves into poverty.
>