Are Rick Riordan's books better than J. K Rowlings

Asked by: lesibianpotato
  • Yes yes yes!

Rick Riordans characters hold a place in my heart. He represents so many types of people, And his characters are so well written. Rick Riordans books are also way funnier! Just search up "funny Rick Riordan quotes" and you'll get a lot more than if you search "funny JK Rowling quotes. " Rick's books are better, Period.

• Percy jackson all the way!

Percy Jackson is better for so many reasons, It's hard to name them all. So I'm just going to go with the first couple that pop into my head in no particular order.

-Target Audience: Both book series started out intended for middle-grade readers, And have a main character who ages as the series goes on. Rowling decided to have the story age with the characters, Which is fine for the generation that grew up while she was writing the books but poses a problem for later generations. A child who starts reading HP at ten could easily be on book five by age twelve, (sooner, If they read faster and go immediately from one book to the next) and will likely not be prepared for a lot of what happens. Riordan on the other hand, Never forgot who his main audience is, So while things definitely do get dark in the sequel series, Heroes of Olympus the POV switches make it so the reader is never stuck in that darkness for too long.

-Representation: Off the top of my head, I can only think of six characters of color in the entire Harry Potter series, And I honestly don't remember if one of them is actually described as non-white or just a headcanon of mine. Said characters are Cho Chang, Dean Thomas, Padma and Parvati Patil, Kingsley Shacklebolt, And Blaise Zabini. These are all minor or secondary characters at best. And while the only gay character is pretty important, Dumbledore is never actually said to be gay in the books. Now I'll freely admit that the five Percy Jackson And The Olympians books have the same problem, With any non-white characters being minor or secondary, And no queer characters mentioned. But this is fixed in Heroes of Olympus. Of the seven main heroes of the prophecy, Four are people of color. Frank Zhang is Chinese-Canadian, Piper McLean is Cherokee, Leo Valdez is Mexican-American, And Hazel Levesque is African-American. There are are also two characters who aren't part of the prophecy but still play a large role in the story, Reyna Ramirez-Arellano, A Puerto Rican girl, And a boy I won't name because spoilers, Who is revealed to be gay in House of Hades and gets a cute ship tease with another boy at the end of the last book. And if you're like, But that's only five characters, You named six for HP! I named five MAIN characters for Heroes of Olympus, I'm not going into secondary characters, As I feel like I'll probably forget someone, But they're there. Also we get more queer characters in the third series, The Trials of Apollo. Not only are the two boys from Heroes of Olympus officially a couple, Main character Apollo is very bisexual, And we also get an adorable old lesbian couple, Emmie and Jo, In the second book. Oh! And I almost forgot. There are no neurodivirgent characters in Harry Potter, But every single demigod has ADHD and dyslexia.

• I relate to Percy and friends more

Now I'm just talking about the books here. So don't bring up movies/musicals. Since Riordan wrote his characters from real life they act more human. Percy is a kid who got caught up in some crazy gods v. S whatever without a choice so he acts like most of us would. I also like his style and his characters more. Rick Riordan actually wrote LGBTQ+ characters in his books

• Umm heck no

This is my first post lol. I have to disagree. While the Percy Jackson books may be more relateable, Harry Potter is written much better (plot and grammar usage). I'm not a writer, Not even close, But having read both, Harry Potter's resolution is extremely satisfying (not saying Percy Jackson's isn't). The last book explains every mystery the reader has and I could tell that the whole series was planned head to toe.
    Both of these authors fall into the "all inclusive" act, Where they just make people gay/black/trans just for the sake of it. In the first PJ series, No one was gay; no one was lesbian; there was no diversity, And for good reason. These kind of people were not the "norm" when the book was written, And though I do appreciate including LGBTQ characters in the next books, It will always seem like the author was jumping on the band wagon. HP was better in this, As there is only one series and it was consistent in its diversity.

The PJ books are now cash grabs. They are still good, But cash grabs nonetheless. Maybe cash grab is a strong word. There was obvious effort put into them, But everything after the first one/two series is unnecessary. Harry Potter was planned, Again, Only to have the necessary books needed. (cursed child was unnecessary, And you can see how that went.

So yeah. Harry Potter is much better. Thank you for my ted talk

byeeee

• Harry Freakin Potter

Harry Potter is one of the best book series ever. Facts. I believe that Rick Riordan's books are some of the best out there, No arguing with that, But Harry Potter has inspired many books, Movies, And T. V shows. J. K Rowlings may have made everyone gay, But if those damn books were a person, I'd go gay for that shit.