• They are underpaid

Teachers are working their butts off to make our education s great as possible. Yet all they are getting is a minimum pay day. I think we should pay teachers more, because if a teacher had a child, and she/he got only $500 then she can't support her/his child.

• Teachers Have a Tough Job

It's not easy to sit in front of 30 children for six hours per day to ensure they are educated. Grade school teachers, from K-12, should be paid much more in a public school setting. The difficulty is that taxpayers may not be willing to pay higher tax levies to get higher salaries. With so much stuff teachers have to deal with, including violence in school and deadbeat parents, educators need to be paid more to teach our children.

• Good teachers are unpaid

There is no doubt that the education system has its myriad flaws. However, most young teachers--the ones with fresh gusto for teaching, new methods and up-to-date credentials, tend to be the most underpaid. Unfortunately, they also do not have tenure and many other advantages of long-time teachers. We need to switch to a system of paying teachers in accordance to their ability and results.

• Yes, teachers are underpaid

Jobs that require a similar amount of education have much higher starting salaries and provide much more room for growth. In addition teaching is a difficult job that requires lots of energy and dedication. Teachers often have to do a lot with limited resources and will often spend their own money buying teaching supplies. In addition teachers are required to take continuing education classes.

• Teachers Take Kids to College.

Teachers work very hard to educate students as much as possible and want every kid to go to Harvard. It is not fair that people working at Subway make more money than teachers. Teachers stay up all night grading papers and wake up early in the morning to teach more.

• Underpaid and Undervalued

I am currently a paraprofessional working with special needs students with severe emotional and intellectual disabilities. I have a college degree and over eight years experience working with special needs children and am making just UNDER $11 an hour. To put this in perspective, I drove by a Dairy Queen yesterday and they had a sign that said "team members starting wage is $11-$13 an hour." So I am making less than a kid making Blizzard's and banana splits? That says a lot to me about our society and how much we called education.

• Underpaid and Undervalued

• Underpaid and Undervalued

• Teachers are overworked and underpaid

Teachers are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.
    "I know you're overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, and misunderstood. But don't worry, here's an apple to make you forget all that. " You might be thinking right now that's really mean yet most people think that. That is where giving a teacher an apple came from. When I look at the apple that's what I think now. Teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world yet there underpaid Really when I think teacher I think rolmodel. " We think of teachers-hero's that taught us the academics but we often don't think of those teachers taught us the life lessons". They are with us until the end.
    Body Paragraph 1
    Teachers put in many hours outside of their current workday. They have to stay get there lesson ready for the next day or they have to grade papers it's a lot of work for one teacher to grade about 100 papers. They work so much and nobody ever says thank you or gives a card. Sometimes I think teachers work more than the principal. Whenever I go to lunch and recess I see teachers calming kids down and helping out, whenever I'm at a assembly I see teachers helping out. Teachers also act like doctors when you get hurt they help you. 4 jobs and a low payment is not fair. Teachers also act like doctors when you get hurt they help you. When a student goes home they are hoping to see their mom and dad and tell them about their day but when the kids of the teachers come home they don't usually see their mom and with the teachers that are divorced the kids have to take care of themselves. You pull teachers from their family and give them more work and yet they get paid so little. By the time they get home it will be 7:00 or 8:00 and maybe longer for those teachers that live far away from Weston. Sometimes teachers are up till 3:00 reading and grading the students work. . Teachers work longer than most people, probably more than the principal. They always stay at work, they either bring work home or stay at school. Teachers are working there butt's off to give students a good future and a happy future teachers don't only teach they get our next generation ready not many people think that being a teacher is one of the most important jobs, tell that to the teachers that helped you get into a good college taught you about the real world and helped you get back up right when you fell down. " A doctor can do heart surgery and save the life of a kid but a great teacher can reach the heart of that kid and allow him to truly live. " Prince Ea.

• Teachers are overworked and underpaid

Body Paragraph 1

• From a Teacher

I am a teacher at a pubic high school making 65k per year (with 8 years experience), full benefits and retirement, 3+ months a year off (Xmas, Spring break, Summer, etc), with my master's degree paid for by the district. My wife is also a teacher making 55k per year. Because I have a long summer break, I am able to generate income on the internet with small business (it generates around 30k per year after taxes). All said, my household income is 150k per year. My wife and I are off work all summer, get nights and weekends off, and never miss time with our children. Sure, classes full of crappy kids can stink, but, I keep reminding myself of how well I have it when I have a bad day. By the way.. I am in a district that DOES NOT have a union. We are paid and given raises based on: 50% from student growth throughout the year on state tests, and 50% from evaluations. I get raises every year because I perform well. I am honestly a little indifferent towards my students, but, because I am able to keep them behaved and educated, I do well financially. The crummy teacher who pops in videos and reads her paper? She was replaced by someone who can get results.

• not only no, but heck no

Grade school teachers in my town make $77,000 per year... For a 9 month a year job, plus benefits. Teaching is a fine profession, but it's a pretty nice gig.
    EVERYBODY works hard, teachers are not alone. I just don't buy that their position is so bad.
    We also have several tenured teachers (one notably) that are horrible and we can't get rid of them. Starting out teaching at $36k per year is normal for most professions.
    With few exceptions I think teaching is a gravy job.

• One Must First Know How Much They make

To logically answer this question, one must have some idea of how much teachers make. In my county, starting pay is $60,000 WELL above the starting pay for private schools in my county: $35,000

By that means, public teachers in my county CLEARLY are overpaid if they make more then average median household income of $48,000 while there entire job of t"teaching" comes from pre-developed lesson plans. They sit and read off papers or out of a book. WOW, what a hard job, I could that too and be even better then half of them. They, at least in my county, DO NOT under any circumstances deserve $60,000 for a starting pay check.

Check out some of these ridiculous salaries here: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/FCPS_SALARIES_12.htm

Granted some are lower then others, but the majority of them are in the upper crust range of $60,000. A number I could only DREAM of as a single man.

• Demand

Teaching is like any other profession. They will be paid what the market defines as their value. If we set the standards for results and we cannot get the right candidates, the pay rate will be increased until the demand is filled. Presently there is a glut of teachers thus proving that the pay rate is if anything too hign.

• For the job they do? NO!

When a quarter of Americans are functionally illiterate and math skills lower than most other countries, I have to say that teachers are seriously overpaid. I work hard for a living and make just under 7,000.00 yearly. I just read that the minimum for a teacher in Texas with no experience is over 27,000.00. A friend lived in apartments for the first 25 years of marriage. She went back to school and became a teacher, and within a year had saved enough for a down payment on a VERY nice house. She told me that she'd never made as much as she does now. She's an English teacher and often calls me to ask how to spell a word. Her sentence structure is horrible. I do laundry and clean houses for a living, and I'm having to help one of these "poor, underpaid" people to teach your kids to read. Very sad.

• Everyone takes work home, but most workers only get 2 weeks vacation.

Teachers are not unique in working more than the standard 40 hours per week. Almost all professionals will take work home with them and work many more hours than the stated 9-5. A 40 hour, 9-5 professional job simply doesn't exist anymore. We all work at home. However, most employees start out with 2 weeks vacation while teachers get at least 13 weeks of vacation. No other professionals get this much vacation time. If you took the total amount of hours worked in a year and divided it by 50 weeks, their hourly rate does not look too bad. If they do not like how they are paid or treated, they can do what all of the rest of us have to do- leave and go somewhere else. If they want to keep teaching, they can teach for a private school. But data shows that most private school teachers make LESS than public school teachers. Also- there are great teachers and bad ones. Somehow we have a system where bad teachers seem to NEVER get fired. In the private sector they would be gone in a nanosecond.

• Teachers are payed fairly.

The median teacher salary is 58,000. While the median bachelors degree salary is 54,000. Ingnoring the fact that teachers only work 9 months and get nice pensions/benifits/job security they still make more than average. While the starting salary is lower it averages out over time. Just as police,firemen and military all start low but end up well payed in the middle/ end of their careers.

• No: commensurate with education and accountability

Teachers can teach right after college and licensing. In fact, licensing is not required for many private schools. So they cannot be paid any more...That would put them on par financially with pharmacists, for example, who spend 4 more years in school. Years that teachers are already working and making money.

Also, those who make more are professionally licensed by peers, not by the government.

Https://www.Google.Com/amp/s/parentingthecore.Com/2015/07/02/are-teachers-professionals/amp/

• Teachers don't work any harder than any other profession

I have learned over the years of writing on this topic to expect a number of rebuttals, and we might as well deal with these in advance:

You are forgetting teachers only get paid for 9 months of the year

Yes, on a total salary basis, teachers are paid less than other professionals because they don’t work as much. I can’t really see the unfairness in this (I run a seasonal business and don’t pay people when the operations are closed). My guess is that for many teachers this is a feature, not a bug — that as many are attracted by having the summer off as are harmed by it.

Further, this is a management choice made by schools that could be fixed instantly. I have always thought it was crazy that we invest billions in physical and human resources for education and then let all this capacity lie dormant 25% of the year. Even if kids only went to school for 9 months a year, their terms could be rotated through the calendar so school assets are used all year long and teachers could have a full 12 months employment.

Teachers do a lot of work at home

The BLS believes it has corrected for this in the hourly wages it publishes, but what if it has not? Are teachers really more likely to take work home than are other professionals?

• At least in California, they are overpaid

Go to transparentcalifornia.Com and you can search various public employee salaries, including those of teachers.

Yes, teachers DO get summers off. My circle of friends has quite a few teachers and they are busy facebooking and instragraming their vacation pictures during summer while the rest of us are working. Teachers with close to 10 years experience in LAUSD make 70k to 80k per year. Transparent California's website also shows quite a few six figure pensioned retired teachers.

>