Banning cell phones in restaurants: Should cell phones be banned in restaurants?

• Cell phones causing antisocial behaviour

The atmosphere of small restaurants is ruined by everybody staring at their phones. People should enjoy their meals , talk to each other and that creates friendly ambiance which I want to enjoy. Cannot stand if the whole family stares at their screens and no one talks.
    Would forbid charging of devices as well.

• Ban cell phones in restaurants and theaters

People who yak on cell phones in restaurants and theaters are just plain rude! We go to these places to relax and enjoy a bite to eat or a movie and there is nothing worse than some brain dead a**hole yakking on the phone and ruining the atmosphere for everyone. Many times, these are the same people who let their little kids run around the restaurant screaming and yelling with absolutely no regard for others. I guess we now have to have laws for common sense and manners. What a sick society we are in!

• Cell phones have no business in restaurants and theaters

• I always want to sit away from mobile phone users in all public places.

But then I am sensitive to WiFi/mobile phone frequencies and certain motors, something that became apparent, with the introduction of smart phones 3G and 4G and wifi hotspots everywhere. Sadly I have now done a lot of reading, and realize that there are very serious long-term health issues for us all from long-term and constant immersion in such an environment. I am meeting some affected people who are giving up on going out. They need a social life too.
    Http://www.Radiationresearch.Org/
    http://www.Es-uk.Info/information/52-es-uk-information-leaflet.Html

• Check out Auradaze in the UK..

They have a mobile free policy, fantastic. I think people are getting rude an obnoxious, when asked to refrain from using mobile phones in the eating area.
    Why can't they just go outside and stop interrupting meal times.
    They have done it in a restaurant in the UK in Royal Leamington Spa a place called. Auradaze.

• It is blatantly rude to use a mobile phone in a restaurant.

Phones nowadays are just like drugs.
    Restaurants are places to socialise and make conversation or to have a quiet meal. There is nothing worse than having someone put their phone on the table ready to pick up and get engrossed in something or other on it. It is hoped that other restaurants will become phone free.

• Cell phone ban

I just came from a restaurant where for 45 minutes a couple had a guy on speaker phone and the whole restaurant could hear the conversation. After I finished I went up to the couple and thanked them for completely ruining my experience. He wanted to beat me up outside.

• Doing research on this topic

Yes, I feel it will help with communication at the table and it will improve family relationship. Also in about 20 years from now the future generation if they keep on their phones there won't be a relationship will another human only with their phone. That's my opinion. Thank you.

• Totally and absolutely agree.

Mobile phones are an abomination on our society. I have bad news for all those nomophobes out there. You are not the lord of the cosmos, it really doesn't matter if you don't answer the phone. Get over yourselves, you are not that important. I never cease to be amazed at how a phone can alter a person into a self-obsessed, anti-social pig, at the drop of a ringtone. I've even had salesmen interrupt their pitch to take a call! It's as if I have to ring him to get his undivided attention! Restaurants used to be full of animated discussions and laughter, now it's more like visiting a funeral home.

• Yes they should be

Now, I am not saying the phone it self should be banned, but the use of phone to text, talk and other then a quick picture (same as a camera that has been used for years) should be banned.

If it rings (on silent) the person should get up, and move to the lobby or outside.
    This should also only apply to fine dinning restaurants, and not a Boston Pizza style

• It's pretentious and isn't conducive to a better meal.

Many bans on phones are done so because the owners think it enhances the atmosphere or encourages ' face-to-face discussions. ' But those reasons are purely anecdotal. It is not the restaurant's position to be dictating how their patrons interact. Nor can they claim that banning phones will improve the experience for everyone. What if you have baby pictures you'd like to show? Phones are tools that businesses run on these days, What if you're meeting a client for lunch and need to forward them documents?

The reasoning isn't applied equally to other subjects either, For example, People often will eat while they read a newspaper, But that doesn't get any scrutiny. Yet, It is much the same as reading from your phone, But on a different medium.

• No, Phones are convenient as they are.

I believe that phones are needed in everyday life for communication purposes but if there're emergency calls/messages or you need to contact the authorities, You can't use your phone at all because you will be in violation and it didn't state that you could ibly use phones during emergencies only.

Also, Some people don't have internet connection in their home so they go to restaurants for free connection. If you have appointment with a group of friends, Client, Or a date, You won't be able to know where he/she is.

• What if its a business call or something important you have to think about it

What if you were sitting at the movies or at a restaurant and you get a call and you cant answer it BC phones are banned then come to find out that someone close to you had been badly hurt or is in the hospital. What if you own a business and someone is trying to call you about work or something like that you should be able to have you phone anywhere.

• No bitch the fuck

No one wants to look at other boring people. Unless you're with a cute person. Also i didn't go in the place in hopes to make dumb friends. Like no bitch. I'm here to meet up with someone or just say like a fat ass. Or have dinner with my parents.

• No cell phones should not be banned

At a restaurant if phones are banned how are you going to call the fire dept if the restaurant is on fire. And if someone gets hurt how are you going to get a hold of the ambulance if phones are banned. They shouldn't ban phones from restaurants because parents need to no were there kids are at and if they ban phones, restaurants will go out of business. And business people often use phones during working lunches to keep working.

• Restaurants are never quite in the first place

People are already talking so what is wrong with answering the phone and have a conversation you are at your own table and should mine your own business and enjoy your time with your friends or family you have no right t tell a person that cant talk on THEIR phone now in the movies its a totally different situations so why are you all even comparing these to things you idiot when your at a movie the point is to watch the movie so just watch the movie dont talk just enjoy the movie if your at a restaurant is to eat and enjoy time with the people you came with so whats wrong with answering your phone in a place where people are already just talking but in a movie just go in the hall and finish your call dont just sit their.

• Banning cellular devices in a restaurant

No i dont think it should happen at all. If my parents were ill or my kids were with a babysitter i would want to be on my phone just incase my kids got hurt or if my parents suddenly got ill and had to be taken to the hospital. But how would you feel if your phone was off and you missed a call from your mom saying that your dad was dying and you needed to get to the hospital but you didnt look at your phone in time ... Things like this can happen and i would want to answer my phone that way i would know if someone is hurt or not

• Of course they should not be banned

Bare maximum, ban their use in fancy high dollar restaurants. I don't see why they should be banned in normal restaurants, just ban them from the fancy ones. At pizza places though, or really, any place that isn't fancy, you are going to have phone users. If you seriously think that they shouldn't be used, stop crying, and go to a fancy restaurant, or eat at home.

• No, people should be allowed to use them.

No, cell phones should not be banned in restaurants, because parents who are out to dinner often use them to check on children. Business people often use cell phones during working lunches to keep working. Cell phones should only be banned if someone is abusing their phone by being rude to others by talking loudly.

• Banning celluar devices in a restaurant is bad for business.

Banning cell phones in restaurants would deter patrons. Technological advances have made it easier from parents, people with ill family members, and on-call workers to go out and enjoy themselves. With a cell phone they are always connected to whomever they need to be. Restaurants would lose business and patrons would lose that sense of security.

>