• Republics and Religion sound so different.

Barack Obama is an atheist, and he runs the United States. Would you just rule him out for that? Not so likely. Besides, most atheists tolerate Christian 'high US government officials" so it should be equal. Studies do not show a difference between Christians and atheists in such stances, so it is to be equal.

• Core Republican ideals Don't Require Religion

Classic Republican dogmas such as limited government, personal property, the right to bear arms, and free market capitalism can all be attractive to people of no religion/atheists/agnostics. The majority of Republicans may be religious, but that doesn't mean that religious affiliation is a prerequisite. Their political beliefs require no religious faith in order to be agreed with.

• Not All Republicans are Religious

Republicans can be non-religious. Being religious doesn't make a person a Republic. Many devout Jews are Democrats, and many atheists are Republicans. Being a member of a political party doesn't guarantee you a corner on the religious market, and being religious doesn't guarantee what political party you will choose to be in.

• Rare, But Possible

It depends on what defines your affiliation more, economic beliefs or social issues. I say yes because of economic ideas. There is a significant population of people who believe in markets, capitalism, etc. But also believe in gay rights, evolution, and are pro choice. This causes a problem because liberals won't have them because of their economic views and conservatives won't have them because of their social and religious views. I consider this to be a Republican stance because I think that economics drives what goes on in the government in terms of debate. That isn't to say that social issues aren't important, they are, but look at what candidates talk about when they run. It's all the economy. Plus if there is a true separation of church and state, the views of many Christians should not be defined as political views, just religious views.

• There is correlation but no causation.

It's true that many religious people vote republican, especially in regards to social issues such as abortion and gay marriage. However, many republican's social views aren't tied with religion. For instance, you don't need to be religious at all to believe killing an innocent person is wrong, so if you believe a fetus is a person, then killing it would be murder. Euthanasia, at best. Gay marriage could be opposed on the grounds that it negatively affects the children that homosexual couples could have. Now, these don't reflect my views. In fact, I believe the opposite. However, it's important to realize where the views of republicans really come from rather than just dismissing it as religious dogma.

• Religious Right Doesn't Rule GOP

I'm sure many Republicans are non-religious and get into politics simply because they want to help people. Conservatives and Republicans aren't all necessarily Christians. Fundamentalist Christians are, as a general rule, Republicans, but the reverse is not true. It would be like saying all Christians vote for Republicans. That most certainly is not true either.

• YES

Of course. I have met many. We are after all a secular country with a specifically secular government; therefore political alignment does not necessarily have to come with religious affiliation. The fact that most republicans ARE religious only shows that the ideals they are after are shared by people who tend to be religious, too.

• Yes of course.

Quote: Mark my word if and when these Preachers get control of the rep. Party and they're sure trying to do so, It's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these christians believe they are acting in the name of God, So they can't and won't compromise. I know I've tried to deal with them. Barry Goldwater.

• Of course yes.

Conservatism is more comprehensive and inclusive of a wide variety of viewpoints than other ideologies. I'm a conservative, And I am not an evangelical Christian or traditionalist Catholic. I believe in God, And am actually against abortion, But I believe in evolution, Gay marriage, And general tolerance for reasonable and responsible viewpoints. All one has to do to be a conservative as an atheist/agnostic is to not be outrightly hostile to religion. Religion is an important way of transmitting values and morals to people, And is how we inculcate virtue. You can believe there's no God and that a more secular culture would be a good thing, You just can't disparage those who do adhere to a religion, Like the new atheists do.

• I am a non-religious republican.

I believe government’s main function is to keep our economy and national security strong. I am a strong believer of capitalism as the best opportunity for social mobility. I think we need to maintain borders and orderly migration as a means of both protection against terrorism and illegal drug proliferation. These are my main priorities when voting, but I am a non-religious, social liberal. I probably don’t really fit anywhere, but I feel more comfortable in the Republican Party where they will listen and respectfully debate alternate views. I feel as if the Democrats expect you to believe all of their ideals as the absolute truth...Kind of like religion.

• You can vote Republican but you can't get anywhere in the party.

Right now, a strongly religious element is in control of the Republican party that would not tolerate someone who was not Christian or possibly Jewish. This means that a non-religious person (or follower of a "non-Republican" religion like Islam) might want to vote Republican, but this person will never actually be able to run for office as a Republican or otherwise get anywhere within the party.

• I'm not sure how. . .

I know it does happen, But the party is so clearly controlled at this point by playing to the Christian right, I could never feel comfortable in the party. I understand the danger and vunerability of leaving one of the two big parties, But I think if be we really want to move on from establishment politics we need to be able to distance oursleves from platform politics. There is clear evidence Republicans used religion to manipulate loyalties. Perhaps abortion and anti-gay laws are what Christianity wants, But so much of what Republicans stand for go completely against Jesus' teachings, It just doesn't add up. More parties. Better representation. More honesty. That's what we need. Same goes for Democrats.

• A Republican can but not Republicans.

I know several Republicans who identify as "atheist" or "agnostic" but while individuals may hold these beliefs, as a group they are not and, for the foreseeable future, will not. The simple reason is that religious organizations are to entrenched in the Republican party. This is the way it has been since Reagan. Maybe sometime in the future they will stop being overtly religious but that has yet to be seen and there is no indication of this happening.

>