• Sure Can!

Yes, you can judge a book by its cover. You have to take into consideration the artwork, the colors, the content and whether the cover looks cheap or expensive. As with people – look at the clothing a person wears – is it well made, expensive, matching, bright colors, fashionable? We all tend to go by first impressions a lot of the time and that is exactly what judging a book by its cover means. We have all seen young men with their jeans riding way low and their boxers cropped up over their waste bands – and we have probably all judged those books by their covers.

• More often than not, you can judge a book by its cover.

It is certainly true that one cannot always judge a book by its cover, but more often than not, you can judge a lot. One's appearance can tell you much. For example, a quick look will usually tell you someone's approximate age, gender, ethnicity, and physical fitness. Closer inspection of clothing, hair, jewelry, etc could tell you someone's national origin, religion, wealth, style, etc. So while you won't get the full story, a lot can be taken from a book's cover.

• Its an adaptive survival method everyone uses and has developed.

Whether you like it or not you judge people by how they look everyday. It is an instinct we have developed to increase our survival chances. Like that gangsta thug crowd you cross the street to avoid, or the small teenage girl with large glasses you insist on helping carry her books. Its a way of sensing who is most likely to be an ally or an enemy (likely to cause harm). No its not correct everytime but it is something that is necessary and in most cases effective.

• to be or not to be?

As humans we can and we do judge people. Nonetheless it does not make it right. it is with in our sinful nature to do so. With the self-hatred influence the media has on young people, our generation has become very critical of one another. Many of us try not to judge people as we do not want to be judged ourselves. So yes we do judge people as we are corrupted within out nature.

• yes

book can be jugde by its covering because when we are in hurry or we have to go somewhere, and we are in hurry at that time we judge the book with its cover. By the way, every one don't have enough time to sit and read the whole book and at that time we judge our book its cover.

• Anyone can criticize the president of the United States. Anyone can criticize anyone.

This debate is about whether you can judge a book by its cover. Let's be rational here. We always judge book by its cover. When you are in the library and someone makes a noise, you automatically assume they are troublemakers. You don't assume they are politicians. Although they sometimes are.
    Look, even if you 'have' read the book and know the story, and even if you are impressed with the flow of the book and what it gives you as a lesson, it does not give you the inherent validity to value a book. What makes you more special is the question that I would like to convey before I close my opinion.
    It is practically and authentically true that you can judge a book by its cover. You might be able to read a summary at the back of the book, a picture might explain it all or the author's biography might also explain the fabric of the book.

• Don't judge a book by it's cover

To be or not to be?

As humans we can and we do judge people. Nonetheless it does not make it right. It is with in our sinful nature to do so. With the self-hatred influence the media has on young people, our generation has become very critical of one another. Many of us try not to judge people as we do not want to be judged ourselves. So yes we do judge people as we are corrupted within out nature.

• yeh we can

Its an adaptive survival method everyone uses and has developed.

Whether you like it or not you judge people by how they look everyday. It is an instinct we have developed to increase our survival chances. Like that gangsta thug crowd you cross the street to avoid, or the small teenage girl with large glasses you insist on helping carry her books. Its a way of sensing who is most likely to be an ally or an enemy (likely to cause harm). No its not correct every time but it is something that is necessary and in most cases effective.

• You can judge it.

I have judged books by the cover for several years. I read a lot and I have never not liked a book that I thought I would like based on the cover. The few times I got a book where I didn't think I would like it much based on the cover, I was proven right.

• Comunication without words.

Apart from all the obvious things you can infer from the appearance of a person (eg. Ethnicity, age, gender etc.) there are these non-obvious things like the conveyance of messages through appearance.
    Policemen, Heavy metal freaks, religious fanatics, artists do this every day. We do it every day. When choosing or buying our clothes we imagine what people might think of us wearing these clothes.
    Everyone that says that she *does not* judge a book by its cover is lying. Everyone that says that we *should not* do that is ignoring a whole different level of communication.

• But the First Few Pages Say a Lot

Maybe not by its cover, but by reading the first few pages you can pretty much figure out if the book is worth your time. The analogy is true for anything. A steak may look good, but then a few bites into it the flavor may be disgusting. A date may look promising at first, but a few sentences into a conversation and you may have a better feel for what the person across from you is about.

• You can't judge a book by its cover

People are very hard to understand. We are complex beings and their are many dimensions to our personalities. You can get an idea of what somebody is by looking at them, but by no means can you pass judgement on them. You do not know their story, you know nothing about them, and you should learn before you label.

• Judging a book by it's cover reveals very little about the book; hence, it is not an intelligent method of judgement.

Bear in mind that I'm using a person as a metaphor for a book. While it is true that a person's religion, social standing, profession, fashion sense, or anything else can be judged by the person's clothing, accessories, and body language, judging a book by its cover barely reveals the true nature of the book. For instance, a person may see another person who goes to a church as a Christian, but that does not mean that the church-going person is a Christian; he or she may be attending church for somebody else.

Here's another example, one from personal experience: I was posing as an avatar on the avatar chatroom "Yoville" that dressed in a suit, wore glasses, and had a biracial skin color (black/white). I also used the diction and grammar present in this response. Many people automatically assumed that I was a white homosexual nerd of a guy, but the truth was, and still is, that I am not homosexual, white, or nerdy (nerd: a foolish, inept, or unattractive person).

Now for scenarios where judging a book by its cover is detrimental; if I merely looked at the cover of "The Agency, a Spy in the House" and set it aside because I thought it would be a boring read because of the cover, I would not have known that it would have been a good story. Now, if I said that it was a good story just by looking at the cover, then I would not have known why it was a good story until I read the book. Consider a person: two male students sit next to each other and one person looks at the other. Immediately, the student who looked gets bombed by the other student's body odor. He assumes that he does not shower when in fact, he showered the day before and failed to shower the next day because he has no running water (this particular scenario is realistically fictitious).

Most people tend to make their first judgements about other people/books by their appearances or covers; I cannot refute that people can judge a book by it's cover (I could strangle myself or break my laptop). I'm merely saying that judging a book at face value reveals very little about the book and that it cannot be a method to use to accurately judge a book.

• never judge a book by it's cover

It is not true you can't judge a book by it's cover because that will be bias. Lets say a boy says he is gay, just because that man is gay that does not mean he is a bad man, he may know a cure to a illness. It will be racial and non-human to say no to him.

This does not mean I am gay.

• Clothes don't tell the whole story

Well, my biggest problem with the idea of judging a book by its cover or judging an individual by their outward appearance, and also the argument that comes with it, is that many people are beginning with the notion that an individual is defined by their circumstances. I don't mean to get into the intricacies of the nature vs. nurture argument, for both have their merits and have statistical and scientific data to back both, but it is impossible and outlandish to believe that one is simply a carbon copy of the stereotypes of their background; if that was the case, everyone would be their father or mother assuming that they had comparable upbringings, which is highly likely. The merits of judging a book by its cover is only that it can lead to an educated guess of how an individual was brought up, and within which circles of society. For example, one common stereotype that people I know have is that individual who where glasses are above the average intelligence levels, but obviously there are people who are examples of that, and those who are not. The diversity that is found throughout life would be impossible if an individual's character and identity only went as deep as the clothes they wore and the style of their hair, or everyone would fall into neat, organized groupings of those who have, and those who have not.

• Don't Judge a Book By its Cover !

We live in a very superficial society. It is very easy to fall into the trap of looking only at the surface of people, things, and ideas without taking the time and effort to delve deeper into them. This is where the adage "Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover" comes from. Literally, you cannot tell the quality of the contents of a book just by looking at the material used to hold it together. A book with a plain cover and simple title may be more important, more entertaining, or more useful than a book bound in a flashier manner.
    This metaphor can be extended to many situations in life. Perhaps the best example is the relationships between people. If you see a beautiful woman (or man), would you immediately pursue them before an average looking person? In many cases, a person looking for a significant other would. Unfortunately, the more average person may have a better sense of humor and a more interesting outlook on life. The prejudice of deciding what to do based solely on outward appearance could cost the pursuer the chance of a meaningful relationship.

It is difficult to change being so superficial, though. Our sense of vision is very strong and it is easy to fall in the trap of believing the most beautiful, shiny, or flashiest object is inherently "better." Only by maintaining strict self-discipline can we force ourselves to put these prejudices aside and look deeper into everything we do. Who knows? The more beautiful woman may turn out to be a better match for you. But you will never know if you always base your decision on what looks the best. Only by looking at the less obvious features can we know what is truly the most outstanding person, object, or idea. And then we will know it with confidence.

• Don't judge the book by its cover

• The appearance of a person or book is not the definition of it.

Would you be able to know a person’s personalities and abilities after you look at their appearance? People cannot choose how they want their appearance to be, they are just born with it. But people can change their personalities and abilities in their lives. Lastly, do to others what you would like them to do for you!

• You Can't Judge a Book from its Book Cover....

My father brought the book "The Canterville Ghost" for me . I didn't liked it at all cause there was a picture of a horrible ghost on it. But when I read it I got to know that the ghost was really good. I really enjoyed reading the novel . So I conclude we cannot judge a book from its book cover.

• Definitely not !

Imagine a beautiful girl with an exceptional dress ,amazing jewelery ,attractive makeup and sheen shoes .I ,with no doubt say that anybody would trip for her and think of getting married.But what if she's mean? What is she's self centered? What if she thinks about only herself and nobody else, not even her parents?
    So it can be concluded that YOU REALLY CAN'T JUDGE BOOK BY IT'S COVER!