• Appearance tells what is inside

I think people can judge a book by its cover because the books cover tells if the book is interesting or horrible by the color or the pictures the author uses. If you do not judge a book by its cover then you have to read so many books to find the one you want.

• We definitely could, but we don't have to.

If we don't judge the book by the cover, then why do we need covers?Let's say that books don't have covers, all except a title and author, it's all just like all the books are the same looks. If you look across a library section with all the books facing you, it's so boring. Besides, if we do have no cover on books, most people would lose interest. But at the same time, you could and would judge everything that you see by your 5 senses. It might be wrong or right, but I think that judging a book by its cover is a good thing to do at first to make a inference abut the story that it tells.

• 1 2 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

• Of course you can!

You can easily tell a horrible book from a good book just by looking at the cover. You can easily tell a scary book from a light book just by looking at the cover. You can easily infer if a person is worth your time or not, not by looking at their cover but via communication skills. You don't have to get to know someone to understand if they are worth your time or not.

• Appearance is synthesized by inside

When a man always do bad things like bullying others, shouting on their parents and sleeping in the lessons. He or she would probably has a ugly face. As a result, when we see a person who is ugly, he or she must be related to doing something bad, do not he/she?

• You can, but possible shouldn't

You can judge anything by any factor. I can judge you for wearing a blue or green shirt or for liking the kind of music you like and for being tall or short or for supporting a candidate or anything I choose. It would be very stupid of me, but it doesn't change the fact that I can.

• Communication without words!!!!

Apart from all the obvious things you can infer from the appearance of a person (eg. Ethnicity, age, gender etc.) there are these non-obvious things like the conveyance of messages through appearance.
    Policemen, Heavy metal freaks, religious fanatics, artists do this every day. We do it every day. When choosing or buying our clothes we imagine what people might think of us wearing these clothes.
    Everyone that says that she *does not* judge a book by its cover is lying. Everyone that says that we *should not* do that is ignoring a whole different level of communication.

• Yes we can

People can judge a book by it's cover because the cover portrays the outline and plot of the entire book. If the book is dark and scary the cover might be black, portraying the darkness. Therefore, we judge books by their covers because the insides are usually related to whats on the outside.

• You Absolutely CAN

You can almost always judge a book by its cover because, the cover is like a statement for the entire book. Its like the books' representative, and if the cover isn't very attractive, then what evidence do you have to show, without reading the book, that it isn't simply an uninteresting bunch of papers. It's like saying which book is better, the one with the dull black cover, OR the one with the nicely illustrated cover portraying a detailed event or showing a symbol that is important to the plot somehow.

• Picture of a Book Worth a Thousand Words

I believe a person has the ability to determine whether a book is valuable to read based on its cover. When a person is making decisions on what book to read, they will not be able to cycle through a lot of books by reading the contents on the back of the book (presumably where a synopsis or teaser is written to tie the reader in) so they do have to make quick decisions by looking at the cover and seeing if the cover is appealing enough to consider to read the book inside. It's an unfair notion that the contents of long stories are determined by the pictures (or lack thereof) that they put on the front of their book; however if an author feels that their book is worth to read, they ought to put in a little bit more time to make their covers appealing to a potential reader.

• Appearance isn't everything

The appearance of the person or an object wouldn't explain what it has in its inner side. As we live our life, People will judge you about everything you might do. However, Outside of you isn't the only thing that matters the most. It's the inside that matters the most.

• You can't judge a book by its cover

Too many people today are judged on how they look or act. How would you like it if someone was constantly judging you on every little thing you did whether it be eating, the way you got dressed, or maybe even the way you do your hair. You an't just go around judging people on how they look or act. So, with that said I hope that next time you look at someone you think of this before you do, because after all we live in a world where people are being judged whether it be good or bad.

• Judging is ignorant

We assume people should all be the same but even if everyone was the same and we had a dress code people would still find something to judge about. We should never judge before we know someone. Everyone has their own story of why they do what they do and good or bad we should give them a chance first. I have been to prison before but if you look at me you could not tell that of me unless I told you you would not know. If people started to judge me before they knew me it would be wrong because I have learned a lot from my mistakes and am bettering myself now to be someone that my family can be proud of now!

• Who would want to Judge a book by its cover?

To be honest, it is just quite careless to judge a book by its cover. You will never fully know what the book is about or if you will like it or not. There are so many different things you could do before judging a book by its cover, like asking for recommendations from friends ect.

• Definitely not !

Imagine a beautiful girl with an exceptional dress ,amazing jewelery ,attractive makeup and sheen shoes .I ,with no doubt say that anybody would trip for her and think of getting married.But what if she's mean? What is she's self centered? What if she thinks about only herself and nobody else, not even her parents?
    So it can be concluded that YOU REALLY CAN'T JUDGE BOOK BY IT'S COVER!

• You Can't Judge a Book from its Book Cover....

My father brought the book "The Canterville Ghost" for me . I didn't liked it at all cause there was a picture of a horrible ghost on it. But when I read it I got to know that the ghost was really good. I really enjoyed reading the novel . So I conclude we cannot judge a book from its book cover.

• The appearance of a person or book is not the definition of it.

Would you be able to know a person’s personalities and abilities after you look at their appearance? People cannot choose how they want their appearance to be, they are just born with it. But people can change their personalities and abilities in their lives. Lastly, do to others what you would like them to do for you!

• Don't judge the book by its cover

Bear in mind that I'm using a person as a metaphor for a book. While it is true that a person's religion, social standing, profession, fashion sense, or anything else can be judged by the person's clothing, accessories, and body language, judging a book by its cover barely reveals the true nature of the book. For instance, a person may see another person who goes to a church as a Christian, but that does not mean that the church-going person is a Christian; he or she may be attending church for somebody else.

Here's another example, one from personal experience: I was posing as an avatar on the avatar chatroom "Yoville" that dressed in a suit, wore glasses, and had a biracial skin color (black/white). I also used the diction and grammar present in this response. Many people automatically assumed that I was a white homosexual nerd of a guy, but the truth was, and still is, that I am not homosexual, white, or nerdy (nerd: a foolish, inept, or unattractive person).

Now for scenarios where judging a book by its cover is detrimental; if I merely looked at the cover of "The Agency, a Spy in the House" and set it aside because I thought it would be a boring read because of the cover, I would not have known that it would have been a good story. Now, if I said that it was a good story just by looking at the cover, then I would not have known why it was a good story until I read the book. Consider a person: two male students sit next to each other and one person looks at the other. Immediately, the student who looked gets bombed by the other student's body odor. He assumes that he does not shower when in fact, he showered the day before and failed to shower the next day because he has no running water (this particular scenario is realistically fictitious).

Most people tend to make their first judgements about other people/books by their appearances or covers; I cannot refute that people can judge a book by it's cover (I could strangle myself or break my laptop). I'm merely saying that judging a book at face value reveals very little about the book and that it cannot be a method to use to accurately judge a book.

• Don't Judge a Book By its Cover !

We live in a very superficial society. It is very easy to fall into the trap of looking only at the surface of people, things, and ideas without taking the time and effort to delve deeper into them. This is where the adage "Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover" comes from. Literally, you cannot tell the quality of the contents of a book just by looking at the material used to hold it together. A book with a plain cover and simple title may be more important, more entertaining, or more useful than a book bound in a flashier manner.
    This metaphor can be extended to many situations in life. Perhaps the best example is the relationships between people. If you see a beautiful woman (or man), would you immediately pursue them before an average looking person? In many cases, a person looking for a significant other would. Unfortunately, the more average person may have a better sense of humor and a more interesting outlook on life. The prejudice of deciding what to do based solely on outward appearance could cost the pursuer the chance of a meaningful relationship.

It is difficult to change being so superficial, though. Our sense of vision is very strong and it is easy to fall in the trap of believing the most beautiful, shiny, or flashiest object is inherently "better." Only by maintaining strict self-discipline can we force ourselves to put these prejudices aside and look deeper into everything we do. Who knows? The more beautiful woman may turn out to be a better match for you. But you will never know if you always base your decision on what looks the best. Only by looking at the less obvious features can we know what is truly the most outstanding person, object, or idea. And then we will know it with confidence.

• Clothes don't tell the whole story

Well, my biggest problem with the idea of judging a book by its cover or judging an individual by their outward appearance, and also the argument that comes with it, is that many people are beginning with the notion that an individual is defined by their circumstances. I don't mean to get into the intricacies of the nature vs. nurture argument, for both have their merits and have statistical and scientific data to back both, but it is impossible and outlandish to believe that one is simply a carbon copy of the stereotypes of their background; if that was the case, everyone would be their father or mother assuming that they had comparable upbringings, which is highly likely. The merits of judging a book by its cover is only that it can lead to an educated guess of how an individual was brought up, and within which circles of society. For example, one common stereotype that people I know have is that individual who where glasses are above the average intelligence levels, but obviously there are people who are examples of that, and those who are not. The diversity that is found throughout life would be impossible if an individual's character and identity only went as deep as the clothes they wore and the style of their hair, or everyone would fall into neat, organized groupings of those who have, and those who have not.