Christianity should be a mandatory subject taught in American public schools.

Asked by: camadkins13
  • Yes, but not just Christianity

Schools should teach students about all major religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Atheism, etc. It could be a unit in a course about world religions and cultures. Even if you don't agree with their way of life, it's still good to understand and respect other religions and cultures.

• Have you not heard of the 1st amendment?

One of the things mentioned in the 1st amendment is that anyone should be able to practice their religion freely. In fact, that's why the US was created in the first place. The pilgrims were facing religious persecution in Britain and wanted to move to a land where they could practice their religion freely. America is a very diverse country. There are people of many ethnic backgrounds who follow many different religions. Making Christianity a mandatory subject in school is extremely unfair, and goes against the constitution. It definitely should not be a mandatory subject.

• Violation of first amendment

I don't have anything against christianity, but FORCING it to kids? Are you kidding me? Sure, it being an optional course wouldn't kill anyone, but forcing it is flat-out ridiculous. The first amendment gives freedom of speech, expression, and religion. Making christianity a mandatory subject would be insulting to atheists in the room.

• That is a terrible idea

This is exactly why we have so many people who believe Christianity not because it makes sense not because its valid but because they indoctrinate their kids from the time they first can hear. You are telling me you want to require everyone to do this to their kids? And why Christianity whats special about Christianity that it's already good at indoctrinating people? Everyone who is not a christian please tell me if you would like your child to be forcibly made to be a christian instead of have a choice. But please start a discussion here that is what I want a good argument from someone christian of why Christianity is true ( without telling me to read the bible)

• Choice is vital

There should be optional course in a few varying religious orders that a student may choose to take. Students are forced to take a mandated academic curriculum to be accepted as workers, drones, or voters in this current world order. The spiritual journey is individual and may or may not include religion at all. These courses should be offered as optional extracurricular only.

• No, no way!

I have absolutely nothing against Christianity, I swear. But I believe that everyone deserves to choose their religion and should not have to learn one that they do not believe in. Basically, freedom of religion needs to apply to schools to. Anyone seen Life of Pi? The main character was Hindu, but he tried to learn about Islam and Christianity as well. That was by his own choice, not anyone else's. So Christianity should be taught to Christians or people willing to learn the Christian faith, not in all schools.

• No. We shouldn't

Forcing people to be taught a single religion would make America a country without freedom. People come here to be able to worship who they want, and do what they want. This would also deny us of our unalienable rights such as the pursuit of happiness. M m m m

• Of course not.

I live in a Christian household but I still believe it should not b a mandatory lesson to be taught in school. On the contrary, there should not be history that is left out just becuase it is Christian or a certain religion that a teacher (or the school, students, etc.) doesn't want to teach.

• Separation of church and state

The Christian religion should stay in the church where it belongs. The United States is not a Christian nation, our Founding Fathers were deists. To make a particular religion a compulsory subject in public schools violates both separation of church and state and religious freedom. Not everybody in in this country is a Christian. It would be unfair for Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, agnostics and atheists.

Nomad_00 says2018-02-18T16:02:58.147
I do not think it is mandatory to teach in school the Christian religion, I am one my self and a very strong believer. I think that this is a vary one-sided opinion and you will look bad in both situations because you should be taught at least the basics of all religions in social studies or classes like that. But some people think that the U.S.A is not a Christian nation, you have the right to choose any religion you want but the nation was made in Gods name. Check out the pledge of allegiance or our motto (you can check out a quarter if you want) in god we trust.
I do believe that you do not have to learn my religion if you don't want to that's even agents my religion, my religion gives you the choice to choose if you want to or not. If you are tired of reading this... I'll stop.
>