Did Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity ruin Breath of the Wild?

• Age of Calamity is trash.

Breath of the Wild was a gem in the Zelda series for not only its gameplay but it's not very cliche story of go here here and here in that order. You could pretty much do whatever you want. It reminds me of a mellowed out Skyrim, Although still a bit more story driven. The story was amazing and the gameplay behind it just perfected it.

Age of Calamity is still trash. They made it a level select! NONE of the other Zelda games were ever level select (with the exception of every Hyrule Warriors game and the Triforce Heros) I was actually kinda looking forward to the story of Age of Calamity. I choose to ignore the Hyrule Warriors shitty gameplay and tried to enjoy the story. Well that didn't go as planned.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The whole gist of every Hyrule Warriors game has to do with time travel.
    That.
    Is.
    Shit.
    It was cool for the first game, I'll give them that but then it just started getting old. As I progressed through Age of Calamity I nearly cried when Teba, Riju, Sidon, And Yunobo came through the portal conveniently inside the Divine Beasts, Not surprised at all seeing the champions. But if you play as Link in the Beasts they are mildly shocked to see you. (Not really though. )

After seeing the opening scene of Age of Calamity I went back to BOTW to search Zelda's room and study for the box that Terrako (the lil guardian) had been napping in. Well, Guess what's not there? That means a vast majority of Age of Calamity is false.

In the beginning I was extremely glad that you didn't have any enemy playable characters. And then Kohga became available. Kohga. The retard that apparently lives forever. My reasoning behind that is he was in both Breath of the Wild and Age of Calamity. Do the Sheikah and the Yiga just live for like 500 years or something? Because Impa was a short old woman in Breath of the Wild but she looks a little older than Zelda in Age of Calamity, Meanwhile Kohga looks EXACTLY the same in both. Also, Where does Sooga come in? Or Astor? Nobody in BOTW mentions either of them, And Impa would definitely know them.

I just thought of something else.

If Terrako was possessed by Calamity Gannon in Age of Calamity, How did that even happen? Zelda and her mother found Terakko and Zelda put the Blessed Screw into him and here he is. In the opening scene he is in a box, Not possessed at all. How did Astor or some Yiga get Terrako into Zelda's room in the first place? Assuming Age of Calamity is an alternate ending for BOTW (I hope not) Terrako still would have played a big part in all of it if he really was possessed by Ganon. Impa and possibly some of the Zoras would have remembered Terrako and probably mentioned him to Link in BOTW.

• Age of Calamity adds new opportunities to the Zelda franchise.

Age of Calamity is a whole different playing field than Breath of the Wild. While BOTW sought to add an open world to the Zelda franchise, And build more on the ancient story, AOC looked to expand on the backstory that BOTW never had.

BOTW is weak in its storytelling. It's a fact that is acknowledged by many gamers of all ages, Experience levels, And fan background. While there are characters, And there is a goal, Very little was offered in any way of why the characters did what they did. Plot holes ("mysteries lost to the past") abounded, And while the gameplay was fun, There was hardly any continuity in the ancient tale.

That's where AOC came in. It's job was to build the backstory that didn't exist.
    And a solid backstory is nearly impossible without straight-line gameplay.
    Having levels within the story is like looking at chapters in the book. Each part is a step along the way to the conclusion - what happens to Terrako and the rest of the characters, How everything is resolved, Etc. Even though this doesn’t follow the Zelda code, Having levels gave you the opportunity that none of the main-line games did: the ability to go back and relive the moments of the story again. It doesn’t have to make sense, It’s the style of the game. It’s an additive to the franchise, Not something truly “official” like one of the main-line games. If you have a problem with that style of game, You don’t play that style of game. It’s that simple.

Second, Having the mini-guardian (Terrako) who left no trace in the official game was a sign of what AOC truly is: an AU (alternate universe). It’s more asking the question of “what if there was a guardian who could have gone to warn those in the past? ” rather than “oh yes we’re changing the backstory”. If it were canon, Not only would Impa and the others remember Terrako, But I get the impression that the current Champions (Riju, Yunobo and the rest) would have remembered time-travelling. That’s not something you just “forget”.
    If AOC is indeed an AU, Then, It has absolutely no effect on how great BOTW was. It shows an alternate past, Yes, And gives you a better view at would have happened 100 years ago, But it doesn’t define the other game. It’s like saying peanut butter is bad since you have a peanut allergy, So PB&J is bad for everyone. Peanut butter has an effect on the final meal, Yes, But that wouldn’t change what everyone else should think of it.

Therefore, This debate has no premise in the first place. I rest my case.

• Let me refute your argument real quick

Okay, So I haven't played the game myself. That is because after playing the demo I didn't think that I would enjoy the game much. You however completely ignored what the game was, And bought it simply because it had the word "Zelda" in the title. It is a warriors game, NOT a Zelda game first and foremost. You shouldn't have played it if you didn't enjoy the gameplay. So the story is a bit shoddy, Yeah, I'll admit that. However, You are one of the only people that I have seen that dislike the game, Let alone call it trash. It isn't breath of the wild, Nor was it intended to be. Don't call the game trash just because you went into it with the wrong mindset.

• Age of Calamity has no effect on Breath of the Wild's reputation in the first place.