Do grades really determine intelligence (yes) or effort (no)?

Asked by: Templar
  • It depends on the child.

I have above average intelligence (sorry if that offends you, but it's a fact). I never needed to put any effort in to be a straight-A student. However, I know people who needed to put a great deal of effort into schoolwork to make good grades, and even then, effort wasn't always enough. Effort can affect grades, but they are primarily determined by intelligence. In our educational system, effort is only required if intelligence is insufficient by itself.

• Grades reflect intelligence or ability in a particular subject if a student puts out effort

Students have different capabilities, and while some students' ability is similar across different subjects, some have uneven a abilities e.g. excelling in English but below average in maths. Some may struggle with academic subjects due to a general learning (intellectual) disability or specific learning disability, but excel in non-academic areas, i.e. PE, Art, Music, Design Technology, Food Technology. However, all the listed non-academic subjects, at least in secondary require written work and therefore in a way are academic, so a student may struggle. Therefore even grades in these subjects determine intelligence or ability as does PE at GCSE or A-level as it requires academics too. However, even if the student struggles with the academic areas in these subjects, they may excel in school activities related to these subjects. They may also excel in other areas and even go into vocational training and work in that area.

A student who has the ability to get a certain percentage (which determines the grade) given appropriate effort should get it if appropriate effort is expended; with exceptional teaching and effort he or she may get a even higher mark. However, this mark will not be attained with below expected effort. It may also not be met due to other circumstances. This mark, however, will not be attained by everyone who expend the same level of effort with same environmental circumstances and teaching if their abilities or needs are different. One student may get an A* while another gets a D. Their grade was equally as good when ability is taken into account. Even a G could be an exceptional achievement for some students. Now I am not saying that universities should accept those with lower grades or employers should hire those with lower grades should be hired when the requirements are much higher, but that students should be satisfied with their grade if they tried their best. Just because a student fails (gets a U) in their qualifications or gets low passing grades does not necessarily mean they cannot get good jobs, although it would depend on whether the student has talent and training in other areas and his or her general ability. Options may be limited compared to those with higher passing grades and similar talents. However, provided a student had the ability to live independently, it would be much better for him or her to work at a job suited to him or her talent-wise and/or according to general ability than to work at a job beyond his or he reach.

Grades determine intelligence only when you look at functioning levels at other areas of life and across all subjects. They do, however, measure ability in that particular subject. They also measure effort, as students submitting work that matches expectations would have expended considerable effort, while beyond expectation grades indicated both exceptional teaching and considerable or exceptional effort.

• Its really up to the child

Because even if the child is witty outside of school he still needs to know the things he doesn't. Which includes memorizing those things, but those things will just add more knowledge to them and make use of their intelligence even more. There's a difference in the things you learn outside and inside of school. But it all stacks up to improve your intelligence. So you really do have to make an effort to memorize and familiarize some important things taught at school.

• I think effort is more important than intelligence

You use effort more offen then we use intelligence.You use effort in your work at school you use effort in your work and i'm just a kid. So you might beleve me if not, i'm sorry . If you don't beleve me you should i don't do anything bad so you can beleve that effort is more important than intelligence!

• Grades determine the efforts and work qualities

From my opinion, I work in the school projects (my school is in love so much with projects and group works) and because of that I got to work with different grades of people. Grades really determine the work qualities. The person who get about GPA 3.00 above tend to work a lot better and more well organized. The person who get the grade below than that and even worse with the 2.50 below. They do not know how to work , worse than that they don't even know how to send the work and combine with the rest. For the guidelines or structures of reports, forget it! They do not read or care about it.

Grades really tell something, and you should consider a bit of student grades in some careers. But for creativity or innovation place that might be a place that grades not really matter much.

Just an opinion from the person who always see this shit.

Thanks

• We are happy

We are happy that our grades are superb i will shock that iam intelligence we are good all grades are good i bless you that your grade having good allĺ my friends god bless you for grades and iam boost in maths please only once chance you wil give me

• Efforts are much needed

Even a person is intelligent if they don't take any effort they'll not be able to do well . So hard work is the only aid which help us to know their ability. Some may have the intelligence but they don't try to showcase their hidden talent so it is the only way

• Absolutely Not, Grades Merely Reflect Basic Understanding.

Ok, I am 19 years old and have a very high IQ, but my grades definitely do not reflect it. Because it was evident at a young age that I was way beyond an average student I was pulled out of class to participate in classes that were grades above me. I was the only one who got to do this. I pick up instruments without having played before, and I was able to read at an 8th grade level in the 2nd grade. This was positive at the time, but it became immensely detrimental later. I truly believed that I was special and that studying meant you were not smart enough. All through school I never had to really try, until I moved schools. The teachers did not know how smart I was and I had to prove it. I soon was put in all the gifted student classes but I was very bored with with work. The only subject I was not sufficient in was math because it required a lot of studying. Math was my first B ever. I was depressed because I believed they I was not good at math, but really, a B is an okay grade off someone who came to class after not really studying and just looked for patterns to solve the problems. At this point in my life I am at a prestigious college but I find it difficult. All the Information has to be memorized an I have had little practice in that. My advice to parents is, don't let your child feel too special. Make them work hard to get better and smarter because although intelligence can be measured, that does not mean one can not improve. Intelligence is something that must be exercised like a muscle. No grades to not reflect intelligence, but it is the people who make the grades that succeed.

• Cause i is black

No, I don't think grades determine intelligence. Grades are often based on arbitrary criteria. One person can do really well in certain subjects and very poorly in others, just simply by showing up. What's important is that an individual learns the processes that lead to the proper answer. Putting in the effort to learn something, even if you ultimately get the answer wrong, is more important to development than simply guessing and getting the right answer. This is why many professors will give almost full credit for a wrong answer as long as the student has shown their work

• Grades are more a sign of effort

Grades received are more a sign of effort then intelligence. Some intelligence is shown but it is more effort. I'm okay with it being this way because school is not about intelligence but also hard work and doing your best. Those that do their best should be rewarded with higher grades.

• Grades are based on tests of memory, not intelligence

Grades are based on tests. Tests are given to see how much you have memorized in a certain subject. Just because you do poorly on a test does not determine your intelligence. It just shows that you didn't retain much of a certain subject. Grades should be based on effort more than memorization because it messes with a student's head, making them feel worthless, when, in fact, they could actually be very intelligent, just a bad test taker or bad at memorization.

• One can get good grades yet not be quite as intelligent.

I have known many students and peers who have good grades yet do not possess practical intelligence. Some examinations require one to have good test taking skills and not particularly tests a person's intelligence. If someone knows how to take an exam, you can easily answer questions without prior knowledge of the material. Also examinations do not necessarily tests one's ability to do a certain task at hand. If one puts a lot of effort in studying, one can achieve good grades. Such is the case of many classes that require rote memorization, a more effort based learning approach.

• Effort determines grades

It's backwards, effort determines grades. You can very intelligent but if you don't do the work you will get a bad grade. Although intelligence would determine how much or little effort, but then it depends on whether you are intelligent at the thing being studied or if you are not.

• Effort determines intelligence.

No, I don't think grades determine intelligence. Grades are often based on arbitrary criteria. One person can do really well in certain subjects and very poorly in others, just simply by showing up. What's important is that an individual learns the processes that lead to the proper answer. Putting in the effort to learn something, even if you ultimately get the answer wrong, is more important to development than simply guessing and getting the right answer. This is why many professors will give almost full credit for a wrong answer as long as the student has shown their work.

• They do not

When i was in school my grades would be a varying range of as bs and cs. I normally had a gpa of anywhere from 2. 4-2. 9. When i got older and took an iq test i found that i have an iq of 143, Defined as genius. Doing what your teacher wants you to is not a measure of haw smart you are, But a measure of how much of a sheep you are.

• Intelligence comes from effort

Intelligence is very important to acquire. However, Effort is what leads to the evidence of intelligence. When it comes to acquiring important knowledge, Sitting back and talking about pizza will never help with filling your mind with education. You need EFFORT to get involved in critical thinking, Understanding, And curiosity! There may also be cases where there's an intelligent person, But they don't put in effort in school, Therefore making their grades slip.

• Just take Thomas Edison.

I don't think anyone here will say that he was stupid, But that is exactly what his grades said in his school. Yes, Thomas Edison failed his class 2 because he was "too stupid to learn anything". He was fired from his first two jobs because he was "not working productively enough". Now, This is the person who invented the first version of that bulb above you, And he failed 999 times before it came on for about two minutes. I sincerely believe he was so not stupid, But his grades said otherwise. Our education system has not changed much so even today you can be "too stupid to learn anything", As some people called Edison, But in other areas you might be the most intelligent person in history.