• Intelligent and smart are NOT synonyms

The definition of the word intelligence is as follows; the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skill. The definition of smart is having or showing quick-whited intelligence. Now, what is an IQ? It stands for "intelligence quotient". An IQ is a score derived from one of several different standardized tests designed to asses intelligence. If grades don't define your intelligence, why should it be measured through a test? Aren't tests supposed to be GRADED? If you score a high grade, universities look for you because you are considered an intelligent student. Again, intelligence is the ability to apply your knowledge.

• Of course, no doubt about it.

I don't really study for my tests yet I still get 100's on nearly everything. So, it proves I am intelligent. Also, someone else pointed out the definition of intelligence, with directly fits with doing well in school.
    Another insightful person pointed out how the No Child Left Behind program focuses on the lowest and forgets about the highest. This is absolutely idiotic. This program pays schools for students to do badly on standardized testing and does not reward schools for educating our students well. WE need to change this. Take action, everyone.

• Schools track down students progress.

Students intellect is monitored through grades to know their intelligence in one aspect.
    Even if grades don't fully resemble the intelligence of student in another subject.
    However education systems build it so that your grade range would be broader to solve math problems to memorizing history facts.
    Even if it does check a small picture of the intelligence it can still give us a peak at what we might actually be able to understand.

But again it depends how you test and grade the tests.

• In·tel·li·gence noun \in-ˈte-lə-jən(t)s\ a (1) : the ability to learn or understand

Doing your school work falls into the category of learning and understanding things. Taking tests are the largest percentage of your grades also. So I believe that test scores reflect your intelligence by showing what you know but also showing that you are smart enough to study for a test because you want to pass and excel, that is an example of intelligence. There are many different forms of intelligence.(though this question refers to academic intelligence). Also this question is being asked assuming that the curriculum and method of teaching is not faulty. You cannot just say that teaching the wrong way or a faulty teacher is an excuse for not having good grades.

• Grades Do matter

Most people who say grades don't matter have bad grades themselves and if grades don't make u smart what does, Most thing done to be "smart" are almost required to get good grades. Also people who calm laziness is a factor are not "smart" enough to realize that grades matter

• Just Deal With It

Yes grades do show, to an extent, how smart a person is. Why? Because we have had for just about as long as we have had school. Most of the people who say that grades "don't show anything" are the same people who earn terrible grades and are just looking for an excuse so that they won't be marked as an idiot by his/her peers.
    I have a friend who absolutely INSISTS that he is an intellectual even though he has a meager 2.8 GPA and even got a B in English, the class that he claimed to be his "best subject". And now whenever I call him out he gives me the same excuse and tells me that it's the truth. When I ask him for proof however, he has none. Face it people, grades were invented to track a person's intellect and if they failed to do so then we wouldn't have kept them around for so long. They are not foolproof, but they are a reasonable way to differentiate the smart people from those claiming to be.

• It's all about memorization!

Students have to perform well on tests in order to succeed in the classroom. Test knowledge is all about memorization on the subject's contents. Memorization is a key brain function that is essential to a student's skill set. My personal achievements in school have not been a complete and total accident. There is a reason why some students do better than others. Ability to memorize and thrive in a school environment.

• Not fully, but Yes

Of course a grade by itself doesn't reflect intelligence, but the surrounding context such as the difficulty of the class, the level of grade inflation/deflation, and the teacher's reputation in his or her success in accurately conveying the student's academic competence should reflect "intelligence" to a point.
    First of all, it is debatable what intelligence is. If you define it as a characteristic that helps a person succeed in our society, then a person with a higher grade would obviously be considered intelligent because he or she is competent enough to complete academic tasks that theoretically would become useful later in life. If you define intelligence as critical thinking skills, there are classes that requires you to think critically, but that depends on the teacher - the context - of the class. Usually hard AP classes or most classes in a relatively good college would have decent class materials, and many high schools show the level of difficulty in class thru the use of weighted and unweighted GPA.
    Again, intelligence is vaguely defined, so I don't think school grades depict emotional or creative intelligence.

• Of course grades reflect intelligence but how good of an indicator of intelligence are they?

I feel that it's pretty obvious that good grades are easier to get for an intelligent student. But grades these days imo are too heavily based on the amount of busy work a student does and in some cases how well they can suck up to a teacher ( think participation grades which I have personally seen run from 0-30% ). I would hardly define the ability to effectively brown nose as commensurate to intelligence. Consider my case for an example.

I flunked out of high school with a 1.91 GPA. Took the GED and scored within the 97th percentile. Also took an intelligence test administered by the school psychologist which resulted in an IQ score of 136 or within the 99th percentile. So I flunked out of high school, yet qualify for mensa. What turned my off to school was the repetitive, unchallenging, uninspiring and seemingly pointless work I was forced to burden my already busy life with in order to get that A. I am also a bit of a perfectionist which only served to compound my time management problem. Oh and took the SATs too, scored a 2060.

Again dropped out of high school due to blandness and rigidity of assignments of assignments but scored a 2060 on SATs. Didn't study at all before taking them and had in fact been out of school for 5 years when I took them. Am now currently enrolled in a Community College with a 3.5 gpa. Studying Biology. The material is much more interesting, maybe because the teachers don't have to "teach to the test" in order to get the scores necessary to acquire an adequate level of state funding.

• In general, Yes

The ability to digest and understand course material is positively correlated with intelligence. If person A and person B put the same effort into a subject but person A's IQ is higher than person B's, Person A will get the better grade.

There are exceptions to this rule. Person A may grow accustomed to achieving exceptional grades with minimal effort, Even without sufficient learning skills, Because of his intelligence. This means when the workload increases in more demanding environments, Such as in university, Person A may do worse than person B due to his underdeveloped learning skills. Person B would have been forced to develop exceptional learning skills to compensate for his intelligence, Whereas person A solely relied on intelligence with no learning skills.

However, This is just one circumstance. Intelligent people are often exceedingly curious and learn quickly. Like most others, They learn to develop their learning skills at one point in their life. There are always exceptions to this rule, But on average, Smarter people achieve better grades, While the not-so-smart achieve worse. This is why the average IQ of Ivy League graduates is 142, While the average IQ of normal college graduates is 113.

• Everyone's smart in their own way

Not everyone can get themselves to work and do the assignments needed for 'good grades'. If anything, All the grades do is reflect how well the student is able to get themselves to finish or even start the work that they are given. I don't see in any way how it could reflect a persons intelligence, The fact that people agree that it does disgusts me.

• School doesn't properly test intelligence.

I am was identified as a gifted kid and then thrown into the average public school academic stream. I've seen kids who had no idea what they were talking about end up around the same level as myself and other students who understood the material. At the same time, There were academically smart students who would somehow end up with average or even bad grades. What set the higher-performing students apart from the lower-performing students was memorization. School doesn't know our knowledge, It tests our ability to regurgitate facts.

Additionally, There's more than just academic intelligence. Even if school were to properly test academic intelligence, There are other areas that people can also be considered intelligent in such as arts and spatial awareness, Social skills, Or understanding nature. Those are barely addressed in elective courses and oftentimes not taken into account for GPAs.

• It’s about remembering things

There is NO WAY that it shows how smart someone can be, For the simple fact that it’s about remembering things rather than truly learning them, You don’t learn any ability. Finally, You can meet people with great grades that are dumb as rock. F you were to be smart, It wouldn’t be at school, But in a subject that you like (so if you’re drawing and know how to draw, You’re smart in that subject while if you suck at fishing, You’re stupid when it comes to fishing)

• Of course not.

Marks only show how a student score and sometimes a student can be lucky and score 1st position in his class and a student too can cheat in his or her exam and he will surely win and that is why I say marks and grades do not show a student intelligence.

• They don't at all

There's a difference between being good at a certain subject and being genuinely smart. Colleges and schools accept you only for having good grades, But really, That doesn't matter. People shouldn't be objectified as smart due to having good grades because real intelligence comes from how truly smart you are at a person. If grades reflected intelligence, Then every single question on a job interview would probably have to do with a school subject.

• Yes, To some degree grades determine intelligence but there are many ways in which an individual can be smart.

Absolutely yes, From one perspective, A student with high marks can be considered intelligent. Achieving good grades can come from a number of things:
    1) studying and good work ethic
    2) good memory
    However the factors that account for good grades that most overlook are:
    1) cheating
    2) grading curves
    3) easy teacher
    Yes, You can say a straight A student is smart if their grades were earned honestly through hard work. This would show the student has a comprehensive understanding of the given topics and can absolutely be considered smart. However if a student has cheated their way to the top, Could you really say the same? Perhaps this shows that student is clever in their ability to perform such a risky move, But overall it does not show the same ability an honest student might have. So yes, Looking at a student with good grades, Sure, They can be smart. But the line is drawn when you can point a student with lesser grades and say they are unintelligent because of it. It could be they have their own personal issues to deal with or they are simply just lazy/unmotivated. But maybe if these boundries weren't holding them back, They would be at the top of the class for science or math. One's bad grades cannot simply determine they are dumb.
    Grades are a show of hard work and memorization which is a type of intelligence. But there are so many types and varieties of intelligence. But at its core, Intelligence is one's ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills( the definition given when googled). Perhaps the one with low grades is gifted at drawing and the fine arts. Or maybe a piano prodigy. Great at woodworking, Top player on the soccer team, Great social skills, Terrific leadership. Aren't those all skills that must be learned and acquired?
    All in all, Grades for some part, Show one's intelligence. And yes, They are important. But it is a grave misconception that one's intelligence can be based purely on grades. There are far too many factors that go into how someone fares in class grades, And intelligence can only be considered one small fraction of it.

• No They Really Don't

While I struggle with grades, The ACT and SAT scores I got did not reflect that. However my friend has spotless grades, But his SAT and ACT scores were shockingly low, Which made me think. Are grades really required? While I struggle on tedious classwork, Pass me a text and I ace it. Pass my friend a test, And he'll be the last one in class done with 70% of the answers wrong. Grades reflect the ability of the students for getting meaningless tasks done, Not their intelligence. And no, They don't reflect work ethic either, A classroom is not a job.

• Grades are a bad indicator of student intelligence

No, It does not because a students phyical and mental health are very powerful so it over powers so, It does contribuet to a student's grades. Such as family crisis, Depression etc. Some student's also suffer from test anxiety will can affect them greatly. Tests are more than 50% of a students grade so if they fluck it then they tend to end up with a bad grade in the subject or class.

• Grades and smart doest matter

So grade and smart d o e s m a t t e r h o w m a n y g r a d es y o u h a v e

• Grades do not

I am the one of the smartest kids in my class, Yet I still don't have a 100% total grade. Most of my fails are mistakes like 2+2=5 or something like that. The people who have 99. 7% or something good like that are perfectionists. They said that themselves. Don't judge a persons intelligence on their grades.