Do prospective employers have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites?

• Yes, prospective employers have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites, because these sites are public.

Yes, prospective employers have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites, because these sites are public. If a person is concerned about potential employers snooping around, then he or she should take down anything inappropriate. Companies are people that consider their impressions, and social network profiles are an effective tool to get an impression of what the person is like in their comfort zone.

Posted by: SecondNoel50
  • Yes, they need to know who's potentially representing their company.

I'm pretty sure they don't want someone that does inappropriate things to represent their company. I've read about plenty of morons that got fired because of their incompetence. If they were caught and fired, the company's reputation would still be damaged and stay damaged. If they have personal info, they shouldn't post it on a website where everyone and anyone can see it. They chose to put this info public, they will get the consequences.

• Yes, employers have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites?

Many employers already do back ground checks, credit checks, and drug testing to weed through potential employees. Poking around public networking sights for other information regarding the potential employee helps get a better perspective into what this person will be like. People say that a person's free time should not be a factor, but the truth of the matter is that when you are hired by a company, you represent that company on and off the clock. Companies do not want to be associated with employees who have questionable morals which do spill over into the work area.

• It's not an invasion of privacy.

When you post something online, then it's out there for anyone who wants to see it. If that happens to be a prospective employer, then they're just utilizing their resources. If you don't want people to see things, it's easy to change the settings so that it's only available for certain groups. However, employers should not have the right to require prospective employees to allow them to investigate social networking profiles, nor should they be able to refuse employment based on not being able to see these profiles.

• Yes, employers have the right to poke around employees' networking profiles, because it is out in the open for anyone to see.

When a person puts information and photos of themselves out on the Internet, they have the option of making their info public to everyone, or private to just friends they accept. If they make it public, then anyone can view it. So, even if an employer looked at it, they aren't doing anything wrong, or that could be regulated, as a law for that matter.

Posted by: AnnoyedDong77
  • To see if they are morons

If the potential employee is a complete moron and doesn't care about his past jobs he probably won't care about their next job. The potential employee could just goof off and go to parties everyday and brag about doing stupid stuff and talk bad about their past employers and fellow employees.

• Prospective employers have the right to look into a potential employee by any legal means.

Since social networking profiles are generally public access, if someone doesn't want someone else poking around into their profile then he or she needs to make it private. If their profile is private, then a potential employer won't be able to get any information from the profile. However, if the potential employee has left it open to public access, then there is no reason why a potential employer should not review it if it is a part of their screening process.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Prospective employers have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites because the potential employee has made this information public.

The potential employee has made this information public and widely available. They therefore have no expectation of privacy. Their postings on such sites may give the employer valuable insight into their character. For example, many such profiles indicate excessive use of alcohol, which indicates poor judgment. Or the potential employee may be making abusive posts about others, another warning flag. Alternatively, the profile may indicate good character - involvement in charitable work, etc.

Posted by: R0xHart
  • No, because a person's personal life and professional life should be separate. Who a person is at home does not always reflect how well they will work.

I used to work with a man who, when not at work, partied and drank all the time and always posted his expeditions on Facebook. I'm sure that if any employer saw it, they wouldn't think twice about not hiring him. But he always showed up on time and never missed a day, except on very rare occasions when he was sick. He was also the least laziest person I worked with. I think that employers who use social networking sites to learn about a person is rude.

Posted by: CBrenna
  • Future employers absolutely have the right to view publicly available information about a potential employee on social networking sites.

Employers are increasingly turning to social networking sites to find information about potential new employees before they are hired. If the individual has made the mistake of allowing compromising photos or statements to be publicly available by not making their profiles private and monitoring what has been posted about them, then it is the unfortunate fault of the individual. They should consider doing so before applying for future positions.

Posted by: SydneeM
  • Prospective employers should not have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites. What somebody does in his private life is not meant to be judged by somebody's boss.

Prospective employers should not have the right to poke around potential employees' profiles on social networking sites. When we share pictures and stories of our lives with our friends online, we are not expecting our bosses to judge our work history based on things we say and do online for fun. This is a violation of privacy. Bosses should only be able to look at resumes and talk to previous employers to get an idea of how we perform at work.

Posted by: JeffP4ri5
  • No way! There is such a thing as right to privacy.

I don't believe that prospective employers have any right to snoop around on people's profiles. First of all, it is a total invasion of privacy and honestly none of their business. Second of all, sometimes people write things on their profiles just for comedic effect, with most of the things not being true. So, it would be totally unfair to be judged on it.

Posted by: AlisaW
  • When I am off the clock I represent myself and not the company

My profile is super private, And meant for my closest friends and family only. What a person does off the clock is their own business. Employees are not paying me when I visit family, Go drinking/partying with friends or going on vacations (unless you got it like that and then you are freaking lucky! ) I have super zealous religious nut cases in my family to alcoholics, LGBTQ, And racists and I associate with them all because blood is blood and you can’t choose the family members you are born or adopted into and who attends family gatherings. Employers going into private social media accounts would be equivalent to me asking the employer if they shake or wipe/ sit or squat when using the bathroom or asking them about their private sex life and whether they properly please their significant other, Or as the person before me stated, Asking for their business’s and private bank accounts with their routing number and SS. That is absolutely private and none of their business. And most people I know work in jobs they absolutely hate for money to survive because everyone needs food water and shelter to survive. (ex single mothers, The elderly, People who lost their jobs and are about to lose their homes and are defaulting on their utilities and mortgages to the young persons trying to pay back student loans) Not everyone is capable of working their dream job for lots of money. Sometimes you have to take what you can get even if it means working a sucky job with people who you probably would never associate with to begin with! Why outside of being paid (forced to work to survive life) would I even be willing or want to associate myself with something I dread going to, With people I am forced to interact with (whether I like them or not) because we are all captive audiences on the job- to employers and fellow co-workers (not everyone is going to get along or like each other on the job! ). You can control what an employee does on the clock but not off! Sorry for my long rant!

• .... . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

• My private life has nothing to do with my job.

The social media is entertainment and should be seen as such. No one should be allowed to look into my personal page with out my permission first of all. There should be laws put in place to protect the employees from being spied on and watched at work anyway it is going to far.

• No! No! No!

That is a violation of a worker's privacy and right to express freely. I personally think it should be illegal for employers to do this. YOUR private life is yours alone, the employers have no right to stick their noses in it. A person's Freedoms comes first, and the employers should stick to dealing with their own personal life.

• What if the person uses a pseudonym?

What if the individual uses a pseudonym? Doesn't this drag it into a legal/ethical nightmare? Some people maintain separate work/home lives and as such, you cannot tell who it is, e.g. a "JohnDoe1981" on a social network, probably could be him, but say "Beeblebrox707" or "BIGFATGUY" - well, not obvious is it? There's one issue.
    Also, what qualifies as a social networking site? Does a comment on, say, a product review website count?

• No, they should be able to have a private life.

If someone is a good employee and is professional at their work place they should not be judged by whats on social media. Your job should not be in jeopardy just because what you post or do in your private life. Your private life should be YOUR private life not what your work place says it has to be.

• Your Expression Belongs To You

Social media posts are made with the intention of communicating with desired parties. No one else has any right using this information in any way, unless your message constitutes a threat to the safety and well-being of others. Nonetheless, it's your responsibility to set one's privacy settings such as to keep out the snoops.

• Absolutely NOT! Under the pretense that "there could be something they're hiding" the real reason is to discriminate, both legally and illegally.

There are ethically upstanding employers who are only interested in your work, education and references pertaining to those things that confirm or deny that the employee is the person the employer wants and needs for the job. However, there are also many unscrupulous and unethical employers who think employees have some ownership of the employee, both at work and after work, once they are under their employ. Although most employers say they are looking at potential employees on the internet and social media to see if there are things that they are hiding. There are lots of reasons they are looking in on social media of potential employees and finding something they are hiding is the least of that list. Employers are looking to discriminate and find employees that are personally as perfect for the position as they are professionally. Or in other words, to discriminate, both legally and illegally. Whats wrong with this? This is a free country and people are free to do what they want in their own personal time, within the law. If employers want to run a criminal background check, this is very easy and inexpensive to do. But many employers think they can simply look on social media and find out all about someone and save the money on a background check. This gives them free reign to discriminate all the like and answer all of those pesky questions that are illegal for them to ask in an interview or on an application! Are you married? Do you have children? Are you pregnant? Is your wife black? Are you republican or democrat? Are you for or against gay rights?

So how can the majority of people on your website actually think this is ok? Difficult or impossible to police, but is it ok? No. Its tantamount to saying that its ok to ask personal questions on an application or in an interview. Identical. Although this majority may answer yes to this as well.