• I've been homeless due to domestic violence

It's mostly the men who choose it. They don't like to follow rules or be a part of society and keep a job. There is a TON of help available. Often there are strings attached to the help - following rules, Filling out paperwork, Etc. These guys won't do it. I had kids with me and got back on my feet in less than 60 days by taking the help available and using EVERY resource I could find. I did this because I wanted to take care of myself and my kids (most importantly). My few brushes with the homeless who were not in domestic violence shelters (like at soup kitchens, Other shelters, Etc. ) were very eye-opening. Most of the guys are just druggies and sociopaths. I used to be the type who gave 5 bucks to homeless people. Not anymore. Maybe to a young runaway girl or a really elderly vet or something. Those young, Aggressive homeless guys - no way. Get a job at McDonalds and man up. I'm a college grad, And I worked at Subway when I needed to. Work is work. Take care of yourself!

• I have met one that was finally nice to me

There was a time where i gave support to the homeless. Most were either rude or didnt like what i got them. One i met near me on the road i gave food to.
    She said (paraphrased) i won't go back there. No it's a disgusting place, I prefer the streets.

• Speaking from experience, Most of it is by choice.

I've been homeless twice. One in springfield Ma. Where I was young (18) and flew across country for a guy. He lived in a dorm on college on, Which he forgot to mention that! I was homeless for a few weeks before enlisting in the airforce. 2nd time in seattle I was depressed major, And i didn't want to work thus my side of the rent was not paid and my friend kicked me out while i was attending college. I was homeless for 6 months and graduated. Never been homeless since. And I have talked with a lot of homeless for long periods of time. And all of them want an easy way out (the sane ones anyway) they have anti personality disorder, They don't want to follow rules or cohabitate with society as a hole. They are mean and crooks. That is why I absolutely refuse to help homeless people. I worker as a door dasher (thank god i had my shitty honda at the time) and that's how i made my money. By working. Now I don't struggle as much but seattle has priced me out and im moving to a state i can afford.

• Some choose to be homeless to be free

Anyone who has ever seen the movie Demolition Man has seen something that could be happening right here. Right now and in thise country. In that movie, You had people in society that did not want to live how the antagonist Raymod Cocteau wants people to live. While this movie is a work of fiction, It can be something that can happen. Cocteau made sex illegal unless it was performed by a lab, He programmed people who were in the cryo prison so that they would conform to society. He also made anything "deemed" bad for you illegal. . . . So salt, Red meat. . . Etc. . . All illegal. You had to live his way or no way. Modern society can be seen in the same way. We have to work a job that pays enough to buy a house, Food and support our family. When you live on the streets all you have to worry about is living another 24 hours. So your worries go from how will you pay for your house and maintaining it and your car to. . . . Just living. A lot of freedom in this. We who do follow the rules and get a job, A house, A car. . . . Etc. . . Don't see those things as bad but some truly woke people realize. . . They don't need that to live.

• Everyone makes a choice.

IN my opinion i feel that being homeless is a choice because like i
    said previously, You should know that if you don't take some kind of path in your life
    even if its not what you personally want to do, You should be responsible for taking
    care of yourself. If you have no job then where do you expect to be in your life.

• Homelessness is the new fad, That is taking off, All across america.

My supporting argument is called common sense. Only one percent of homeless people are facing a real crisis. The other 99 percent of homeless people are just lazy people who have chosen a life style of hand outs so that they can drink booze, (take drugs), And sleep when ever they want. They pretend to be in a crisis so that you will feel sorry for them. I'm sick of hearing about it on the news, Our economy is strong again, Everybody that wants a job, (has a job). ! So go take your pain pills and sleep in a tent, While the rest of us live in our homes, Watching t v in air conditioning.

• Its a choice!

There are an abundance of services to help get them on their feet etc, Also many interviews and studies show homeless people admit it (see youtube as an example), And they can choose to take help and get jobs and become productive members of society, But they often choose drugs, And hobo lifestyle rejecting the 9-5 and choosing to live free on the streets like traveling gypsy hippies with no one to answer to.

• Too many options

Well if you are homeless my first suggestion is to not waste time on debate. Org when you can utilize that time to better your life. You don’t have a home? Planet fitness is 1$ for the first month, 9. 99$ every month after that. It’s 24 hours have showers and occasionally free food. People on here citing 35 -45 of these people have mental illness. . . That’s a pretty broad range of things. Are these self reported illnesses? Do they carry around their Dr. ’s note? Drug addiction is a mental illness which unless someone stuck you with a needle or forced you to inhale something, Is also a consequence of your actions (I’m fairly certain every person that has intentionally done drugs and became addicted knew that drugs weren’t a good idea. Unfortunately the last place people look for blame is themselves. Because why take responsibility for your own actions when everyone else can be to blame

• I am homeless

I am a free lance web developer, Who used to live in his dads house, I decided it was better for me to be homeless with a job than live with my dad, So i left and i live in my car and boondock. I haven't regretted my decision to do this yet but i am looking for more work

• Just an observation

When services are given without an effort on the part of the client--why should they make choices to help themselves? I have noticed in the Pacific Northwest there are "caravans" of homeless. Yes, Those who by choice live off communities up and down the west coast. Simply traveling (mostly hitchhiking) from city to city leeching the hordes of "free" food, Clothing, Shelter and other amenities intended to assist those in need on a temporary basis. They intend to be the "ghosts" of our society and whose full intent is to stay off the radar. When it comes down to their having to actually "do" something to help themselves out of their homeless situation---they simply move on to the next city. . . Then onto the next. . . . And the next. . . . .

• No, the homeless does not choose to be homeless

40-55% of all homeless people claim they have mental health problems. With that, they do not have the mental capacity or stability to 'make the right choice' of going on the right path. Yes, they may say they want to be homeless, but truly no one wants to have nothing, living on the cold hard streets.

• Underlying factors .

92% of homeless women have experienced severe physical and/or sexual abuse in their lifetime. Sometimes being homeless is their only escape. 25-40% of homeless veterans would presumably prefer to re establish the lives they had before their military service, but don't obtain the resources to do so. Also,35-45% of homeless people suffer from a mental illness and also do not obtain the resources to own a house or shelter and go through the day to day life that is persumed as "normal". For few homelessness is a choice but majority of the time, it is in relation to underlying factors and the ones I listed are just a few.

• The are human, they have mistakes

Homeless people dont choose to be homeless,they are caused by traumatic events or addictions even mental illness, and cant get help. Most cant even get jobs beacuse their illness is to bad or the owners wont allow it. SOme people wont sell house or apartments to homeless people bcuz of their past,illness,or even race. So dont say oh they choose no they dont.

• A "No" by Default

Tangible evidence of a "choice" is limited to hearsay, therefore no. One of the more complicated functions of the frontal lobe is known as "decision making". Homeless life imparts symptoms of mental illness of varying degrees so this "choice" has to be reexamined before we can possibly answer "Yes". NO.

• No they dont

I live in a developing country where poverty is not abnormal.

Nobody chooses to be homeless.Some people are born homeless, to homeless parents. They lack proper identification documents and education and hence they can't get a job or lift themselves out of poverty.They are born street kids and are trapped in a cycle they cannot escape from.

Some homeless are mentally ill.Mental illness is not a choice though,no one chooses to be insane.

Some people are immigrants who came in search of a better life but find no opportunities and they have no money or means to go home because all their money is spent coming here and anyway life back home isn't much different.

Some homeless actually work and are sane but they don't earn enough to sustain themselves.It's hard to imagine but in many places of the world people can work and still fall through the cracks.It's a tough world out there for many.

• Well, that's a dumb thing to choose.

Getting into such a situation doesn't take much effort or time. In my opinion, these things can happen to anyone whether they like it or not. I think it's stupid to blame them for wanting to be homeless- mainly because it doesn't make any sense and most of the time it's not their fault. Circumstances change. We need to help people like that rather than criticize or accuse them of fraud.

• No, there is no one who would choose to be homeless.

Being homeless is very difficult. People treat the homeless like scum, they are too hot or too cold. Very few have enough food. No one would want to live in such a state. Nomadic tribe are different, of course. But actual homelessness is a life of misery and uncertainty. The world is not a safe place.

• Who would choose that?

We're excluding societal miscreants like crust punks, who should be imprisoned on principle, but the significant majority of the homeless do not choose the lifestyle. The argument that one should just get a job, like it's that easy, is not the answer. Surely these people try, and being unable to even secure housing makes that all the more difficult.

• Not all of them choose it

Not all homeless people choose to be homeless, so you can't really make a blanket statement that they all choose it. Granted, some do make the personal choice to live that lifestyle, but not all. I think it is more accurate to say that a lot of them wind up homeless because of a series of bad choices they made previously, but that's not the same

• No, they do not.

I often hear this question and, I think, most of the homeless do not choose to be homeless on purpose. Some do, of course, and actually enjoy the freedom of not having to worry about finances and societal strains and restraints. But most do not enjoy living in that sort of squalor.