• Yes, the homeless choose to be homeless.

While not everybody who is homeless chose to be homeless, a lot of the people who are have decided not to make the necessary steps to get out of such a situation. I think a lot of them have decided to give up on life. I do feel bad though for those who become homeless due to being mentally ill.

• Get to know some homeless people.

I have talked to several homeless people and the majority of them choose to be homeless. Some reasons include circumstances, mental illness or just a spirit of rebellion/independence.

People who say no here do not seem to know any homeless. Talk to one and you will see that most of them can not function in what we consider a normal healthy environment.

• My son chooses to live in his car...

Crack...Meth....This is the reason my 35 year old son chooses to live in his car. In Palm Springs, CA. He has quite a few associates who rely on his car to sleep in. Perhaps that is how he is affording gas money; charging other homeless men money to sleep in his car. My son became HIV positive just this last Spring. His chosen lifestyle of drugs and homelessness could very well cause him to be very sick. Being an LVN, he knows this. I have always assumed that no one could ever choose to be homeless. My son's lifestyle choice has changed the way I think.

• I LOATHE Landlords.

I have 3 University Degrees, Teach English, and have 2 Books Published. Yes, I CHOOSE to be Homeless. The Landlords and the crap I have tolerated for the past 20 years have caused me to make this drastic decision. A millionaire "Father" who is a Control Freak and slashed my Trust Fund is yet another reason. This new life, of course, is dangerous but the Freedom Conquers ALL. I will never return to "normal living".

• Laws of Natural Consequences:

I believe the total population of the homeless can be broken down into sub-categories. Yes, some are mentally ill, and their situation warrants being handled differently. However, most homeless individuals are in their situation because of poor choices they have made over the years. You don't just end-up homeless overnight. It's a result of many poor choices over time, accompanied with the wrong attitude or beliefs about how the world works. Taking drugs and the refusal to WORK will only lead to a dead-end road. It's not fair that they can occupy our public lands and services - We, the tax payers - the people who can manage to wake up and be productive each day pay for the sidewalks, bridges, etc. It's our land, and we should be able to demand our government leaders to come up with a solution - away from homes and businesses. We used to have productive Poor Farms for these people to help get back on their feet. But now, our leaders say that would be cruel punishment to force them to work. It will only get worse if we don't implement what our good parents instilled in us - Tough Love.

• Many choose not homelessness itself, but to be free of the pressures and norms of work and monthly bills.

This is just an opinion and I don't think there is a definitive answer here. I have talked with several homeless people at length, all men, and all have said essentially that while it is a hard and dangerous life, they are overwhelmed by life's pressures whenever they try to live up to our culture's expectations. For them, homelessness is the only viable lifestyle where they can feel somewhat at peace internally. Most I talked with would like a car or van and talk wistfully about that possibility. I think a no-strings home would be acceptable to a few. But there are always strings, even if only for upkeep. Maybe half the men I talked to had alcohol addictions. All seemed at times to view the world with a slightly altered reality (related to my own view of reality). Parallel worlds, the ability to communicate to people or devine entities telepathically, a friend who looks out for us at all times (i.E. Religion) were spoken of as fact by one man. But people who think that also have their own tv shows, so how should those convictions be parsed? Bottom line, I think many choose to opt out of this corporate machine where we must work, must spend, must remember to do x, y and z on a particular schedule, and homelessness is the only way to be no longer a part of it.

• Homelessness is SOMETIMES a lifestyle choice

I live in an RV.....Fulltime. I can not afford both an RV and a permanent residence. I am homeless. I have no permanent address. I take advantage of the services for which I qualify, right now insurance subsidies and VR services only. I work. I pay my bills, RV mortgage, insurance, etc. I volunteer twenty plus hours a week for a free place to park....So technically, I have two jobs. But I am homeless.

• You don't choose to be homeless but you choose to stay homeless.

I have talked to a lot of people who work with homeless people, and many of them say that if they don't want to be homeless anymore and they work hard, they will be able to leave the streets. But many of them choose not to do that. They say that living on the street and taking drugs is living a free life. They don't understand that being part of society doesn't only come with rights but also with responsibility. They don't choose to be homeless but they choose to do whatever they want, and that comes with a price. I have met several people who have been homeless and decided that this lifestyle was not for them and I admire them so much for the efforts they made. If they can do it, most people can do it too.

• Bad choices = Limited Choices

Some start out having true mental illness, but let’s exclude them from this conversation as that not what the question is really asking. Let’s say that’s 50% of homeless.

The other 50% are “regular” and choosing homelessness through their actions. Their parents may not have prepared them well for dealing with the world. It could also be something like autism. My son has mild autism and he is very smart. He has a high IQ and got good grades in school. But he thought he was special and different than everyone else. So he insisted on doing things his own way. It was very important to him. We tried to help him to understand how it would negatively effect him, but he wouldn’t listen. He was bullied starting in late Elementary school and throughout middle school and high school. He got into a good college, but when he got out of college he couldn’t keep a job. Again, he was insistent on doing things the way he wanted. So his employers kept telling him to do it somewhere else (he kept getting fired). And that led to losing his apartment.

I’m older and we live in different states, and financially I can’t afford to help him. So now he’s homeless and living on the streets. He hates it. Now he really wishes he had been more flexible.

• Bad Choices = Bad Options

• Homelessness not a choice

Poverty, Government policy failure, Mental health problems among the homeless population, Chronic reoffending rates. Has anyone ever thought that maybe there is a causal link between all these issues?
    Abdication of responsibility over mental healthcare,
    Inadequate social housing and the effects of government austerity policy is so much easier if you pass the buck by saying that people choose to be homeless

• Capitalism is brutal

Capitalism is brutal amd dangerous. There s nothing social about it, It doesnt give a f""k about people and it doenst give a f" "k about nature it only cares about profit and if you don't want to go with that way of doing things or if you get unlucky and get ill or whatever you could be seriously screwed

• No it's not their own choice

I believe that NO, HOMELESSNESS IS NOT A CHOICE. Why on earth would someone choose to be homeless? There will, I'm sure, Be a small percentage of people that chose homelessness but for the most part and in general, NO they didn't choose to be homeless. Some may have had traumatic events happen in their life that led to being homeless, No fault of their own. Others may have made wrong decisions and/or had an addiction or sickness that eventually led to homelessness. There are many factors that could lead to homelessness, Mostly it would be no fault of the people it happened to.

• People who say yes are evil

I'm homeless. I have two jobs. I became homeless when I was evicted because I let my dad who had been recently evicted himself after an injury and a job loss sleep on my couch. He was unable to find work fast enough to save enough money to afford a place of his own. I was evicted because I wouldn't put him out. He's my dad. Now that I have an eviction on my record no one will rent to me. I have lived in Colorado Springs for 20 years. And I can't find anyone who will rent to me. I have plenty of money. Very few places will rent but the eviction has to be more than three years old. That means forced homelessness for 3 years at the minimum! The eviction will be on my record for 7 years! The real reason there are so many homeless especially in Colorado is because we have a unregulated rental market. Landlords are allowed to deny people because of a previous eviction. That should be illegal. Landlords charge as much as possible for rent. Rent is unaffordable for the most people. Yes I'm also talking about people who are not homeless but who pay a large part of their earnings on rent (most people). Landlords should be regulated by how much they can charge. I would like to see laws limiting rent to a certain percentage of someone's income. Run away rental rates and overpowered laws that only benefit property owners are the reasons for the homeless problem. We pass so many laws criminalizing homeless people but none targeting the source of the problem. Sham on America for letting property owners create this horrible system we have to endure.

• Do homeless choose?

No, It's not a choice, No one goes around saying "I wanna be homeless" no homelessness comes from lack of money and support. It will never be a choice, Even if you're in a shelter or not or not it will never be a choice. Some people go through a lot. .

• I just heard this from 2 people lately This is ridiculous Some people say homeless people do not want to be homeless.

Many homeless people suffer from mental illness and are underserved in their communities. Especially single men with no children. These homeless people may also have addiction problems. If someone doesn't have mental illness, They may have run upon rough times but they do not choose to be hungry, Wet, Dirty and cold or hot in the alternative. Another plight of the potential homeless is the woeking poor. To say that the homeless want to be homeless is to ease someone's own selfish mindset so they don't have to feel guilty about not helping other people.

• I love shmoop

Chicken is a vegetable. Hey Andrew, Could I get that assignment graded. I TURNED IT IN! Thanks, Your friend Landon Haw. Enhance your written communication everywhere you type!
    Grammarly will make sure your messages, Documents, And social media posts are clear, Mistake-free, And impactful. Adding Grammarly to Chrome means that your spelling and grammar will be vetted on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr, And nearly everywhere else you write on the web. Once you register your new account, You will start to receive weekly emails with personalized insights and performance stats (one of our most popular new features). Working on a large project, An essay, Or a blog post? No sweat. You can create and store all of your documents in your new online editor.

• No, the homeless does not choose to be homeless

40-55% of all homeless people claim they have mental health problems. With that, they do not have the mental capacity or stability to 'make the right choice' of going on the right path. Yes, they may say they want to be homeless, but truly no one wants to have nothing, living on the cold hard streets.

• Underlying factors .

92% of homeless women have experienced severe physical and/or sexual abuse in their lifetime. Sometimes being homeless is their only escape. 25-40% of homeless veterans would presumably prefer to re establish the lives they had before their military service, but don't obtain the resources to do so. Also,35-45% of homeless people suffer from a mental illness and also do not obtain the resources to own a house or shelter and go through the day to day life that is persumed as "normal". For few homelessness is a choice but majority of the time, it is in relation to underlying factors and the ones I listed are just a few.

• The are human, they have mistakes

Homeless people dont choose to be homeless,they are caused by traumatic events or addictions even mental illness, and cant get help. Most cant even get jobs beacuse their illness is to bad or the owners wont allow it. SOme people wont sell house or apartments to homeless people bcuz of their past,illness,or even race. So dont say oh they choose no they dont.