• I've been homeless due to domestic violence

It's mostly the men who choose it. They don't like to follow rules or be a part of society and keep a job. There is a TON of help available. Often there are strings attached to the help - following rules, Filling out paperwork, Etc. These guys won't do it. I had kids with me and got back on my feet in less than 60 days by taking the help available and using EVERY resource I could find. I did this because I wanted to take care of myself and my kids (most importantly). My few brushes with the homeless who were not in domestic violence shelters (like at soup kitchens, Other shelters, Etc. ) were very eye-opening. Most of the guys are just druggies and sociopaths. I used to be the type who gave 5 bucks to homeless people. Not anymore. Maybe to a young runaway girl or a really elderly vet or something. Those young, Aggressive homeless guys - no way. Get a job at McDonalds and man up. I'm a college grad, And I worked at Subway when I needed to. Work is work. Take care of yourself!

• I have met one that was finally nice to me

There was a time where i gave support to the homeless. Most were either rude or didnt like what i got them. One i met near me on the road i gave food to.
    She said (paraphrased) i won't go back there. No it's a disgusting place, I prefer the streets.

• Speaking from experience, Most of it is by choice.

I've been homeless twice. One in springfield Ma. Where I was young (18) and flew across country for a guy. He lived in a dorm on college on, Which he forgot to mention that! I was homeless for a few weeks before enlisting in the airforce. 2nd time in seattle I was depressed major, And i didn't want to work thus my side of the rent was not paid and my friend kicked me out while i was attending college. I was homeless for 6 months and graduated. Never been homeless since. And I have talked with a lot of homeless for long periods of time. And all of them want an easy way out (the sane ones anyway) they have anti personality disorder, They don't want to follow rules or cohabitate with society as a hole. They are mean and crooks. That is why I absolutely refuse to help homeless people. I worker as a door dasher (thank god i had my shitty honda at the time) and that's how i made my money. By working. Now I don't struggle as much but seattle has priced me out and im moving to a state i can afford.

• Some choose to be homeless to be free

Anyone who has ever seen the movie Demolition Man has seen something that could be happening right here. Right now and in thise country. In that movie, You had people in society that did not want to live how the antagonist Raymod Cocteau wants people to live. While this movie is a work of fiction, It can be something that can happen. Cocteau made sex illegal unless it was performed by a lab, He programmed people who were in the cryo prison so that they would conform to society. He also made anything "deemed" bad for you illegal. . . . So salt, Red meat. . . Etc. . . All illegal. You had to live his way or no way. Modern society can be seen in the same way. We have to work a job that pays enough to buy a house, Food and support our family. When you live on the streets all you have to worry about is living another 24 hours. So your worries go from how will you pay for your house and maintaining it and your car to. . . . Just living. A lot of freedom in this. We who do follow the rules and get a job, A house, A car. . . . Etc. . . Don't see those things as bad but some truly woke people realize. . . They don't need that to live.

• Everyone makes a choice.

IN my opinion i feel that being homeless is a choice because like i
    said previously, You should know that if you don't take some kind of path in your life
    even if its not what you personally want to do, You should be responsible for taking
    care of yourself. If you have no job then where do you expect to be in your life.

• Homelessness is the new fad, That is taking off, All across america.

My supporting argument is called common sense. Only one percent of homeless people are facing a real crisis. The other 99 percent of homeless people are just lazy people who have chosen a life style of hand outs so that they can drink booze, (take drugs), And sleep when ever they want. They pretend to be in a crisis so that you will feel sorry for them. I'm sick of hearing about it on the news, Our economy is strong again, Everybody that wants a job, (has a job). ! So go take your pain pills and sleep in a tent, While the rest of us live in our homes, Watching t v in air conditioning.

• Its a choice!

There are an abundance of services to help get them on their feet etc, Also many interviews and studies show homeless people admit it (see youtube as an example), And they can choose to take help and get jobs and become productive members of society, But they often choose drugs, And hobo lifestyle rejecting the 9-5 and choosing to live free on the streets like traveling gypsy hippies with no one to answer to.

• Too many options

Well if you are homeless my first suggestion is to not waste time on debate. Org when you can utilize that time to better your life. You don’t have a home? Planet fitness is 1$ for the first month, 9. 99$ every month after that. It’s 24 hours have showers and occasionally free food. People on here citing 35 -45 of these people have mental illness. . . That’s a pretty broad range of things. Are these self reported illnesses? Do they carry around their Dr. ’s note? Drug addiction is a mental illness which unless someone stuck you with a needle or forced you to inhale something, Is also a consequence of your actions (I’m fairly certain every person that has intentionally done drugs and became addicted knew that drugs weren’t a good idea. Unfortunately the last place people look for blame is themselves. Because why take responsibility for your own actions when everyone else can be to blame

• Just an observation

When services are given without an effort on the part of the client--why should they make choices to help themselves? I have noticed in the Pacific Northwest there are "caravans" of homeless. Yes, Those who by choice live off communities up and down the west coast. Simply traveling (mostly hitchhiking) from city to city leeching the hordes of "free" food, Clothing, Shelter and other amenities intended to assist those in need on a temporary basis. They intend to be the "ghosts" of our society and whose full intent is to stay off the radar. When it comes down to their having to actually "do" something to help themselves out of their homeless situation---they simply move on to the next city. . . Then onto the next. . . . And the next. . . . .

• Our government enables and perpetuates a homeless lifestyle as an option for you

Look at all of the money that is poured into taking care of the homeless.
    The homeless picture changed dramatically after the recession of 2008. The government fix was a bailout for the people who made bad choices in home buying and the corporations that drove us into a recession. It is always the fix buy our way out of it. The recession created a huge homeless problem, Which scared the shit out of you average joe losing his house and becoming homeless. But the government helped make it a more tolerable and a viable alternative for people. Some crawled out of it, Others sort of liked not having to be responsible for much and choose to live it. And. . . Are enabled to continue to live homeless.
    What would happen if no one could provide adequate free services to people that choose this lifestyle? They would have to find another option to live. . Or die. Who is going to choose dying on the streets vs working and carrying your own weight?

• Homelessness not a choice

Poverty, Government policy failure, Mental health problems among the homeless population, Chronic reoffending rates. Has anyone ever thought that maybe there is a causal link between all these issues?
    Abdication of responsibility over mental healthcare,
    Inadequate social housing and the effects of government austerity policy is so much easier if you pass the buck by saying that people choose to be homeless

• Capitalism is brutal

Capitalism is brutal amd dangerous. There s nothing social about it, It doesnt give a f""k about people and it doenst give a f" "k about nature it only cares about profit and if you don't want to go with that way of doing things or if you get unlucky and get ill or whatever you could be seriously screwed

• No it's not their own choice

I believe that NO, HOMELESSNESS IS NOT A CHOICE. Why on earth would someone choose to be homeless? There will, I'm sure, Be a small percentage of people that chose homelessness but for the most part and in general, NO they didn't choose to be homeless. Some may have had traumatic events happen in their life that led to being homeless, No fault of their own. Others may have made wrong decisions and/or had an addiction or sickness that eventually led to homelessness. There are many factors that could lead to homelessness, Mostly it would be no fault of the people it happened to.

• People who say yes are evil

I'm homeless. I have two jobs. I became homeless when I was evicted because I let my dad who had been recently evicted himself after an injury and a job loss sleep on my couch. He was unable to find work fast enough to save enough money to afford a place of his own. I was evicted because I wouldn't put him out. He's my dad. Now that I have an eviction on my record no one will rent to me. I have lived in Colorado Springs for 20 years. And I can't find anyone who will rent to me. I have plenty of money. Very few places will rent but the eviction has to be more than three years old. That means forced homelessness for 3 years at the minimum! The eviction will be on my record for 7 years! The real reason there are so many homeless especially in Colorado is because we have a unregulated rental market. Landlords are allowed to deny people because of a previous eviction. That should be illegal. Landlords charge as much as possible for rent. Rent is unaffordable for the most people. Yes I'm also talking about people who are not homeless but who pay a large part of their earnings on rent (most people). Landlords should be regulated by how much they can charge. I would like to see laws limiting rent to a certain percentage of someone's income. Run away rental rates and overpowered laws that only benefit property owners are the reasons for the homeless problem. We pass so many laws criminalizing homeless people but none targeting the source of the problem. Sham on America for letting property owners create this horrible system we have to endure.

• Do homeless choose?

No, It's not a choice, No one goes around saying "I wanna be homeless" no homelessness comes from lack of money and support. It will never be a choice, Even if you're in a shelter or not or not it will never be a choice. Some people go through a lot. .

• I just heard this from 2 people lately This is ridiculous Some people say homeless people do not want to be homeless.

Many homeless people suffer from mental illness and are underserved in their communities. Especially single men with no children. These homeless people may also have addiction problems. If someone doesn't have mental illness, They may have run upon rough times but they do not choose to be hungry, Wet, Dirty and cold or hot in the alternative. Another plight of the potential homeless is the woeking poor. To say that the homeless want to be homeless is to ease someone's own selfish mindset so they don't have to feel guilty about not helping other people.

• I love shmoop

Chicken is a vegetable. Hey Andrew, Could I get that assignment graded. I TURNED IT IN! Thanks, Your friend Landon Haw. Enhance your written communication everywhere you type!
    Grammarly will make sure your messages, Documents, And social media posts are clear, Mistake-free, And impactful. Adding Grammarly to Chrome means that your spelling and grammar will be vetted on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr, And nearly everywhere else you write on the web. Once you register your new account, You will start to receive weekly emails with personalized insights and performance stats (one of our most popular new features). Working on a large project, An essay, Or a blog post? No sweat. You can create and store all of your documents in your new online editor.

• No, the homeless does not choose to be homeless

40-55% of all homeless people claim they have mental health problems. With that, they do not have the mental capacity or stability to 'make the right choice' of going on the right path. Yes, they may say they want to be homeless, but truly no one wants to have nothing, living on the cold hard streets.

• Underlying factors .

92% of homeless women have experienced severe physical and/or sexual abuse in their lifetime. Sometimes being homeless is their only escape. 25-40% of homeless veterans would presumably prefer to re establish the lives they had before their military service, but don't obtain the resources to do so. Also,35-45% of homeless people suffer from a mental illness and also do not obtain the resources to own a house or shelter and go through the day to day life that is persumed as "normal". For few homelessness is a choice but majority of the time, it is in relation to underlying factors and the ones I listed are just a few.

• The are human, they have mistakes

Homeless people dont choose to be homeless,they are caused by traumatic events or addictions even mental illness, and cant get help. Most cant even get jobs beacuse their illness is to bad or the owners wont allow it. SOme people wont sell house or apartments to homeless people bcuz of their past,illness,or even race. So dont say oh they choose no they dont.