• In an emergency

While it is definately true the world has changed alot in the last number of decades there may still be a place for textbooks. Now normally, I think using digital devices is probably best. They are easy to carry and can store a lot of information so they can be very flexible whatever the subject (ie you can have histor and maths on the same device, Instead of needing different textbooks! ) However there are critical limitations. First, Not everyone may have access to devices. Is the school going to provide them? Second, What if there is a fault and the computers and devices are down due to say a technical fault? How will they learn or work in the meantime? I think schools would need textbooks just as a reserve in case of emergency use. Also, As someone pointed out, You can NOT trust a lot of the stuff on the internet. If you are given a textbook you can pretty sure it was at least accurate when it went to press. In the case of the internet, Some of the stuff is totally made up (at worst) or just totally wrong (at best). You only have to go to Youtube to find out! Will the students be taught how to seprate fact from fiction?

• Research suggests they help students to retain knowledge, unlike working on a computer. Working off worksheets is messy, you can't refer back to them easily.

In addition, textbooks are structured in a systematic and written by professionals in that field. Randomly searching on the internet can lead students astray. Some schools have taken computers out of the class room because they distract students. Findings from the OECD is that the highest performing countries use textbooks and the lowest do not.

• Absolutely, kids need structure.

Every kid learns differently, areas of their brain to organize and search the internet for answers are not well developed. Having all the information in one place helps them study, and outline. Kids shouldn't have to click from screen to screen or split a screen to outline history. When kids need math help there should be textbook examples so parents can assist, and that information should be easily found. That why there should be textbooks and structure. They are humans not robots.

• From a Teacher's perspective

As a teacher myself I have observed that students become much more calm and focused when working with a textbook in front of them. They also appear to have more confidence. Many students need to develop their comprehension skills. As a learner I feel that a textbook is a comforting resource to refer to and also enjoyable to read.

• From a Teacher's perspective

• Bias ss s s

Bias ssssssssssssssssssss sssssss s s s s s ss ss s s s ss s s s s s s ss s s ss s s s ss s ss s s s s ss s s s s s s ss s s s ss s ssss sss ss

• We need digital textbooks

Many students enjoy working on digital devices and think textbooks are BORING. Studies show that digital textbooks improve standardized test scores, are more fun to handle, gets kids interested in homework, and increases interactivity and creativity in students. Digital textbooks also save the environment and are much lighter. (their backpacks won't be weighed down by 10 pound books) My opinion is supported by 78% of students and teachers.

• This website is bias

Bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias

• Yes we do.

Formally published textbooks, whether digital or paper, has the attached critical reassurance that the authorship should be recognised experts in their field. Even then, the information is critically peer reviewed before being presented.
    We live, driving an information highway, with access to even the most marginal of opinions, often stated as fact. Medline,, the States-based online medical library/archive, adds 40,000 to 80,000 completed references each month. Many science based articles become obsolete over a period of time, has new advances develop. Most people's critical appraisal skills are unable to verify the quality of information picked up from direct web access or magazines and journals.
    This is why I put to you that textbooks remain a beacon of light in the greyness of the information overload.
    True, they are more unwieldy and are more prone to have out of date information in book format than digital format. This is may be a preference issue, but there has been evidence to suggest that long periods of tablet reading may be detrimental to your retina. We will only really know for certain in a few decades - but it is a complex light source that we look into (as I am, typing this!).
    For the best sourced information, and low risk (!) reading, give me a properly printed textbook any day.

• We need digital textbooks

• No, textbooks are worthless.

Text books are obsolete in our new tech age. Tablets can give more info a lot faster and easier. The cost of textbooks is reaching an all time high, while the cost of a new tablet is getting a lot lower, meaning schools can save money instead of buying textbooks that your going to just have to replace in 3 years! I'm not an expert or anything that's just my opinion.

• Physical difficulties

With the inclusion of tablet and electronic based learning, students are no longer required to carry large books with them into the classroom every day. This is especially relevant to pre-adolescents, who are at the eve of their physical development, in which heavy book bags become increasingly uncomfortable. One student I spoke with was forced to carry more than 5 books with her on Fridays, more than 15 lbs. This may or may not be relevant to every student, but promoting general student health is a definite plus.

• We have no need for Physical Textbooks any longer

With e-books and tablets, the need for quickly "outdated" textbooks have greatly diminished. Physical textbooks should be eradicated from the school setting with e-books and tablets taking their place. This removes the large amount of money schools and college students must pay to have the most up to date textbook, when in most cases the textbook's update was minor. The cost of the tablets could be made up in a matter of years with how much they would be saving in replacing textbooks.

• Need? No. Want? Yes.

Our technology has made most things available virtually, rather than tangibly, and our era is quickly and excitedly embracing this. Textbooks are available and more convenient virtually, but there are those that are denying the convenience of this technology... Our world is going virtual fast... There's no stopping it. The options are to either hop on the train or get left behind, as some will choose to do.

• Expensive Textbooks are nearly obsolete!

Cumbersome, expensive, unable to update. Used for a semester and then left on a shelf to gather dust (or try and sell, but wait, a new edition is required for the next intake!).
    Hey, I love books. But textbooks are generally very expensive. Sometimes a book is necessary in the field, but we all know that EVERYTHING is done on computers now (especially in the workplace).
    So why are most educational institutions forcing students to buy books when online text is in almost every sense more efficient? Educational institutions need to be facilitating current technologies, not clinging to ideals which are prohibitively expensive and less effective. Are they beholden to the revenue generated by the sale of books? Can they not create a licensing agreement with the publishers?

• They just collect dust

Many times I have purchased a "required" book only to hardly ever touch it. More and more teachers aren't using them because they know that we don't find them interesting and probably won't actually learn as much from them, so a drawer of my desk is full of textbooks I have never opened.

• They are boring

As a student, I know that learning from a video is by far more influential then reading a passage over and over. Textbooks these days are boring, and me and my classmates HATE taking notes as well as reading them. If you are a student, ask yourself this. Would you rather watch a fun video on real world examples of trigonometry, and get to see animations of it in work, or read a word problem on how trigonometry is useful. Would you rather study with the free web to search anything, or read passage after passage of how mold grows on a rock.

• They are boring

• Comprehensive and Never Outdated

A tablet allows for online sources to be used which can much more comprehensive and can never outdated, while being not as expensive, not wasteful of resources, and are lightweight. Textbooks, on the other hand, are expensive, use a wasteful amount of paper, and very heavy, while being not as comprehensive and getting outdated after a while.

>